Gieseler Power Supply owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Guest scumbag
19 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

You might have been thinking of the Uptone LPS-1, etc?

I should go to bed. it's been a long day........................

10 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Wall wart yes, SMPS no. Just an AC/AC transformer.

Silly me. Thanks Brian. I should remember it's not a SMPS.  I was wondering how much junk the AC/AC might be throwing back into the line. 

My primary question was about the  DC cable. Whilst I appreciate it might be well made, it's much longer than I need. 

• 2 months later...

25 minutes ago, Juicester said:

hi all - how much for a dual 9v PSU? trawled the thread but couldn't find an answer. Ta

C

Dual PSU's no longer available.  You will have to get 2 standalone ones...

• 11 months later...
On 07/01/2016 at 11:05 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Guys,

I thought I would start a separate topic for this where you can post feedback, wish list, preferred voltage options etc.

Regards

Clay.

Hi Clay,

I have a few questions for you about your PSs - so I thought I may as well post on this thread, rather than PMing you.  :)

1.  Your PSs come under the 'Kraftwerk' family name, right?

2.  Can you make a 24v DC one?  I'm interested in using it with my 'Muse' phono stage - so, as total power draw is under 80ma, it would only have to be able to deliver, say, 500ma at 24v.

3.  Could it be supplied with Nichicon Gold Tunes?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy & thanks for the enquiry.

1. Yes Kraftwerk is the name for the new range of PSU's

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/m18psu-kraftwerk

2. Yes no problem with doing a 24v version. I have actually built a few 24v versions so I will make it a permanent model.

They have actually been for phono stages too & the owners seemed very happy.

Current rating would 2A. 

3. Currently I only have the PCB's for the standard version but that is a good idea to offer it in a Nichicon Gold Tune version as well.

I will get some Gold Tune 24v version PCB's with my next order - very soon.

Costing would the same as my 12v 4A range as the parts are essentially the same so.

Standard version  $375

Gold Tune               $450

9 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Andy & thanks for the enquiry.

1. Yes Kraftwerk is the name for the new range of PSU's

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/m18psu-kraftwerk

2. Yes no problem with doing a 24v version. I have actually built a few 24v versions so I will make it a permanent model.

They have actually been for phono stages too & the owners seemed very happy.

Current rating would 2A. 

3. Currently I only have the PCB's for the standard version but that is a good idea to offer it in a Nichicon Gold Tune version as well.

I will get some Gold Tune 24v version PCB's with my next order - very soon.

Costing would the same as my 12v 4A range as the parts are essentially the same so.

Standard version  $375

Gold Tune               $450

Thanks, Clay.  So there is no parts-saving, to make it a 24v / 500mA PS (not 2A)?

Andy

Hi Andy - yes if I use a .9A 24v Ac adaptor instead of the 3A 24v nice potted transformer I save a whopping $20

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m6014-powertran-ip68-24v-ac-3a-appliance-transformer/

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m9379a-powertran-24v-ac-0.9a-appliance-powerpack/

Edited by Gieseler Audio

7 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Andy - yes if I use a .9A 24v Ac adaptor instead of the 3A 24v nice potted transformer I save a whopping $10.

Hah!  :lol:

Clay, am I correct in thinking that because I would be so lightly loading the 3A/24v potted transformer ... the secondaries will probably be running at a slightly higher voltage than what their 2A rating specifies ... so the DC output from the PS will probably be slightly higher than 24v?  (Which is a good thing, AFAIAC!)

Andy

Yes Andy - correct it will be very lightly loaded but but remember I am using a precision Analog Devices regulator to set the output voltage to 24v. It will maintain 24 v from no external load up to 2A at which point current limiting cuts in.

The LT3080 which I use actually has adjustable current limiting so  I set it to 2A -  clever little thing isn’t it?

They are virtually bullet-proof  with thermal cutout and short-circuit proof as well.

It’s a shame they are so expensive!

With a 24v AC  input  from the transformer  I actually end up with about 34v raw dc into  the regulator so there’s plenty of headroom.

58 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Yes Andy - correct it will be very lightly loaded but but remember I am using a precision Analog Devices regulator to set the output voltage to 24v. It will maintain 24 v from no external load up to 2A at which point current limiting cuts in.

Aah, very interesting, Clay!  :thumb:

58 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The LT3080 which I use actually has adjustable current limiting so  I set it to 2A -  clever little thing isn’t it?

Would I get any sonic benefit, in my situation, from lowering the current-limit to, say 500mA?

Regards,

Andy

No - the current limit is mainly a safety  feature so the designer of the PSU can the limit the

maximum current the PSU can supply at the specified output - 24v in this case.

The regulator has a internal current limit of 2.4 A but that is really pushing it so that’s why I 

limit it to 2A.

The transformer is rated at 3A max (AC) so the max DC will be less so by limiting the max current to 

2A nothing will ever be over stressed & the transformer will never overheat.

Check out the data sheet on the regulator I use.

https://au.mouser.com/datasheet/2/609/3086fb-1265782.pdf

It’s has an amazing number of really useful features as well as low noise.

Around $12 a pop so you would normally only see it in premium products.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Would I get any sonic benefit, in my situation, from lowering the current-limit to, say 500mA?

My understanding is that as long as the voltage is correct, the additional current "headroom" does not harm a device because it will draw whatever current it needs. 

The "headroom" may benefit some devices. As an example, a Kraftwerk 4A PSU sonically improved the SMS-200 Ultra which required 2A.  But you will not know whether there is a sonic benefit until you try it on your phono stage.

• Like 1