Gieseler Power Supply owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Hi Russ,

the ultraRendu has the same power requirements as the microRendu which is

6-9 VDC at 1 Amp min continuous.

The sweet spot seems to be 7.5v so my standard 5/7.5/9v 1.5 Amp PSU preset to 7.5v is perfect

Cost is $275  including delivery - lead time a couple of days. I will supply it with the correct lead/plug to suit the ultraRendu.

If you want to order one PM me with your full name, shipping & email address & then I can send you a invoice with payment details.

Thanks Johannes for your help too.

Cheers  Clay 

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

@Gieseler Audio

Clay

Long time no speak.

Do you still do your triple PSU?

I've got a NAS, Netgear Switch & Telstra Modem in my study all feeding into my network, so wondering if adding your PSU would help the SQ (get ride of some of the crud these input into my network).

FYI gear is:

• Synology DS916+
  • Netgear GS116
  • Telstra Frontier Modem (Technicolor DJN2130)

Could give you a call, but thought asking here on SNA would be best if others thinking of doing the same.

Not really sure what V & A each uses, and can find out if you think it's a good idea to use your PSU, and if you still do the triple PSU.

Cheers

John

Edited by Celts88

44 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

Do you still do your triple PSU?

See earlier post

45 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

I've got a NAS, Netgear Switch & Telstra Modem in my office (spare bedroom in my house) all feeding into my network, so wondering if adding your PSU would help the SQ (get ride of some of the crud these input into my network).

FYI gear is:

• Synology DS916+
  • Netgear GS116
  • Telstra Frontier Modem (Technicolor DJN2130)

I have my SMS-200 Ultra connected to my DS414 directly i.e. bypassing the router and the sound improved.  It is the router which is adding noise. I believe that adding a PSU to the router will help, but am waiting for Clay to test a PSU with his own router.  Have not tested adding a PSU to either the NAS nor modem, but I am guessing that they are not as significant?   But if someone has a different experience, please chip in.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 4:54 AM, Snoopy8 said:

3 output units no longer available, only single output PSU.

Boohoo :emot-bang:  I didn't want to have another 3 boxes under my desk in the study. I suppose no use asking why the 3 output unit was dropped?

31 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have my SMS-200 Ultra connected to my DS414 directly i.e. bypassing the router and the sound improved. 

I'll be playing music via my Antipodes CX, which will have 2Tb SSD installed, but my other music streamed from NAS in the study (all via Roon), therefore don't have option of connecting directly (don't want to put NAS in my lounge room).

Will need to wait for Clay to advise what he thinks my best options are (he's the expert so appreciate his advice, along with others here on SNA).

Edited by Celts88

Hi John,

good to hear from you.

I discovered good PSU’s only work well if used independently. eg 1 x PSU per device.

Hence no more multi ouput units from me - sorry

I have’t actually tested myself a good PSU on a NAS but have read about the odd improvements on line.

Clay

Appreciate putting 3 PSU's into the one unit wouldn't be as good as 1 x 3 PSU's, but as I was only looking to use them for my modem, switch and NAS (which happen to be sitting under the same desk) was hoping you still did the triple unit as it would certainly do a better job at powering them than the usual wallmart rubbish they come with.

You're the expert mate and appreciate your feedback.

Guest scumbag
20 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi John,

good to hear from you.

I discovered good PSU’s only work well if used independently. eg 1 x PSU per device.

Hence no more multi ouput units from me - sorry

I have’t actually tested myself a good PSU on a NAS but have read about the odd improvements on line.

Bummer. I have one of your 3 output PSU. I was hoping to use at least 2 of them simultaneously. What devices did you use to test the performance with multiple devices?

3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Yes, there are odd posts but not convincing enough to try something. And Clay, am hoping you get round to testing your PSU on your router... 

6 hours ago, Celts88 said:

I'll be playing music via my Antipodes CX, which will have 2Tb SSD installed, but my other music streamed from NAS in the study (all via Roon), therefore don't have option of connecting directly (don't want to put NAS in my lounge room).

This very long Computer Audiophile thread convinced me to put my NAS next to the system (and cannot hear any noise from it).  Your Synology DS916+ has dual Ethernet ports which will allow connection directly to the NAS but does require a tweak. If it works for you, you may not need your proposed PSUs.

22 hours ago, scumbag said:

Bummer. I have one of your 3 output PSU. I was hoping to use at least 2 of them simultaneously. What devices did you use to test the performance with multiple devices?

@Gieseler Audio would have to make the final comment but AIUI, you could get away with a slight mod to your Gieseler PSU, which would enable it to successfully power 3 separate items.

I believe the issue is ... the DC output to the 3 items you are powering, should be isolated from each other.  IOW, 3 separate Gieseler PSes will sound better than 1 shared between 3 devices.

But, AIUI, this isolation can be achieved by inserting a suitably rated diode between the DC rail of the PS and the '+ve' tag on each of the 3 output sockets.

Andy

Hi Andy,

yes all good valid points & certainly doable. Diodes are certainly handy devices & great for isolating.

With my dual & triple I used a common transformer & raw DC supply & then independent regulators & more filtering for each output. It worked quite well & certainly compact but with listening tests I found fully independent PSU’s sounded a bit better.

I think it must be the full galvanic isolation.

Guest scumbag
16 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Andy,

yes all good valid points & certainly doable. Diodes are certainly handy devices & great for isolating.

With my dual & triple I used a common transformer & raw DC supply & then independent regulators & more filtering for each output. It worked quite well & certainly compact but with listening tests I found fully independent PSU’s sounded a bit better.

I think it must be the full galvanic isolation.

So even with retro fitted diodes, there will still be an issue of galvanic spill.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, would there be any benefit in replacing the PSU of an external hard drive with a LPS? 

I'm using an Auralic Aires

Edited by dolphy
Spelling

I'll be playing music via my Antipodes CX, which will have 2Tb SSD installed, but my other music streamed from NAS in the study (all via Roon)

A question about your setup. Do you have some of the music on the CX, some on the NAS, run the Roon library on the CX just selecting two library sources? If so, are you just going to move your more frequent played tracks to the CX?

On 18/05/2018 at 6:10 PM, Celts88 said:

Appreciate putting 3 PSU's into the one unit wouldn't be as good as 1 x 3 PSU's, but as I was only looking to use them for my modem, switch and NAS (which happen to be sitting under the same desk) was hoping you still did the triple unit as it would certainly do a better job at powering them than the usual wallmart rubbish they come with.

Came across this old post about connecting a PSU to a NAS and switch with expensive Uptone Audio JS-2

The author suggested adding PSU to switch before NAS, which is what I would do if I went down this path.  Maybe @agisthos can update us with his more recent experience.

Guest scumbag

I should throw in some feedback for those interested. I got hold of a triple power PSU. It has 7.5V 1.5A, 12V 1.5A and 12V 2.5A. Just for fun, I thought I'd try the 12V 2.5A output on my Intel I5 NUC. NUC can run on a wide range of voltages by design. It also has an external HDD - a 2.5" which runs off USB power which would also put an extra draw of power on the unit. Even though there are suggestions on the Intel website that the NUC has peak power requirements that are above what the PSU can offer, I gave it a try. Anyway, it started up without and issue and has run (and rebooted) without issue since then. Win. 

Edited by scumbag

30 minutes ago, Compass said:

If the Triple is no longer available from Clay then what are the alternatives?(Besides 3 seperate ones, HDPlex or Uptone($$$)?

Rather than populate the Gieseler sub forum with potentially competitive products, more appropriate to ask this question in the main forum.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Rather than populate the Gieseler sub forum with potentially competitive products, more appropriate to ask this question in the main forum.

Fair enough

Has anyone tried replacing Clay's power cable to the SMPS?

I would be curious to hear of anyone's experience who has tried. 

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has replaced the SMPS (some mentioned a DIY approach earlier). 

23 hours ago, vegan said:

Has anyone tried replacing Clay's power cable to the SMPS?

I would be curious to hear of anyone's experience who has tried. 

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has replaced the SMPS (some mentioned a DIY approach earlier). 

To which SMPS? None of Clays devices involve a SMPS. I’m confuzzled... ;)