Gieseler Power Supply owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay, I fnally got around to setting up my Intel NUC. It is Windows 10 and is running Jriver and has a 250GB SSD.

I am flat out hearing any difference between the NUC and my laptop running thorugh the DAC at this stage.

How much and what sort of difference will one of your power supplies make?

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

I'm very happy with my 5VDC Gieseler Power Supply.

It's very well made (as per the Klein DAC) and sensibly designed. Quality Neutrik connectors, robust switchgear, and the same heavy high-quality EI core AC to AC external power supply (a very smart idea IMHO!)

I also ordered a set of spare black faceplates for both the Klein DAC and PSU, should I decide to go 'all black' in future to match my Sansui gear. For the time being, I'm very much in love with the silver which provides a nice contrast to the blackness elsewhere in my rig.

This unit is configured for 5VDC and powers my Squeezebox Touch. The old switchmode PSU is banished, and my system is finally switchmode-free!! Huzzah!!

My listening impressions are that there is a slightly lower noise floor (dare I say it... blacker blacks? ha!) with greater clarity. It's not an earth-shattering, night-and-day, but enough that I'd be comfortable picking it in a blind test (if I was that way inclined!). I'm very, very satisfied with the improvement in refinement. I think it's a very worthwhile improvement for the Squeezebox Touch at this price point, and I'd wager that the benefit for other types of digital and analogue gear (and mini computers etc) would be similar. Best of all... it's Australian-made and designed :)

Well played Clay! I'm one very happy customer.

Gieseler%20PSU%201_zps0af6ylnv.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%202_zpspxudpzft.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%203_zpsjxyuyyqg.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%204_zpsdlow4uee.jpg

Gieseler%20PSU%205_zps8fdfxlea.jpg

• Like 5

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but does it makes sense ordering the 3 output unit for current/future use, eg. Regen, Auralic Mini, etc., or does it somehow detract from the SQ benefits if powering 3 items from the one Power Supply (rather than 3 separate power supplies, single unit better bang for buck, but also space saver - less boxes).

Hi Steve - running the NUC from a low noise linear supply should definitely be an improvement vs using the std SMPS plugpack it comes with. Generally I find the linear supply removes a a layer of background grunge & improves resolution. Pete summed it up well, better blacks.

Just how much difference you hear would depend on your system, how is the top end on those mighty three way horns of yours now. Has Henry fully sorted the crossovers yet?

John - my triple power supply has very good separation between the three outputs but they do obviously share the raw DC source voltage. There may be a small improvement with three fully independent supplies.

• Like 1

Hi Clay, I fnally got around to setting up my Intel NUC. It is Windows 10 and is running Jriver and has a 250GB SSD.

I am flat out hearing any difference between the NUC and my laptop running thorugh the DAC at this stage.

How much and what sort of difference will one of your power supplies make?

Cheers,

Steve

You're not alone- I don't hear much of a difference between my RasPi, NUC or laptop with USB audio. Sometimes I think I've noticed something, but I don't trust my brain. I've been having problems with USB audio sources for a while and I've sorted it now. It was all in the power. The sound from both my laptop and Brix (NUC) were noisy, which ruins the highs, and the obvious: noise! I did away with the nasty switchmode plug packs. The difference is night and day. It's not subtle. It's obvious. I notice a major improvement immediately in the noise floor, which cleans everything up. It's really nice not to have that faint CPU cycle buzzing too. No matter what DAC/Amp/digital source I used, I could always hear the power supply noise which ruins everything. Got rid of those plug packs, and problem solved. Clean DC power put the final polish on my system- maybe you'll have a similar experience to me.

• Like 2

John - my triple power supply has very good separation between the three outputs but they do obviously share the raw DC source voltage. There may be a small improvement with three fully independent supplies.

Clay, yes 3 seperate supplies may give a small improvement, but then having 3 boxes, 3 transformer blocks & 3 more cords to plug in seems more hassle unless someone is trying to squeeze out the last ounce of SQ from their system

• Like 1

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but does it makes sense ordering the 3 output unit for current/future use, eg. Regen, Auralic Mini, etc., or does it somehow detract from the SQ benefits if powering 3 items from the one Power Supply (rather than 3 separate power supplies, single unit better bang for buck, but also space saver - less boxes).

I am thinking of ordering something like this.

Guest thathifiguy

8336728ea6d2d682e740afe85ec39ba8.jpg

Here is mine in action.

Early listening already highlights a better defined sound than the SMPS, can't wait to do some more listening!

Steve - yes I do have a 19v version of my Standard Low Noise PSU designed specifically to run the new NUC's. It costs slightly more as it needs a bigger/heavier external power transformer. Cost is $325 delivered with about a one week wait time.

Tarkan - good to hear it has arrived! The capacitors take a little while to run in so it will sound better after a few days. Just leave it permantly powered on for a couple of days & that will do the trick.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

Gieseler LPSU for Regen installed and operational. Seemed appropriate to break it in with some David Bowie today. It took all of 30 seconds to know that Space Oddity has never sounded better in my system. A quality product at a bargain price. Much kudos to you Clay.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Before pulling the trigger on $400 for one of Clay's "double output" LPSU's I just wanted to know from others on stereonet the impact it's has with powering a REGAN USB & Aurelic Aries Mini?

Unfortunately I have my Klein DAC in another set-up into my Bryston Pre (not balanced) & I'm loath to change as the Aries Mini & REGAN are attached to my PS Audio DAC which has Balanced XLR's out into my Pre with also have balanced in/out.

Anyone using Clay's new LPSU with this set up?

Cheers

Matthew

Guest thathifiguy

It's a pretty unique setup there, might be a bit early for anyone to have tried. My serial number was '8' on my unit.

While I can't vouch for the dual output, my single output unit has made an incredible difference in my system.

Everything just sounds tighter and better defined.

Most upgrades such as these that I have made over the years I tend to notice more after removing the piece from my system, but this power supply ain't going anywhere!

post-116892-0-53926800-1453096956_thumb.[

attachment=172688:IMGP0272.jpg]

Hi Clay,

Here is the photo (at last( as discussed. Can I get you PSU into that space. Obviously I'll have to move the SSD to the right first.

Cheers

Andrew

post-116892-0-67911900-1453096967_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I had forgotten about this.

Yes it does look like the triple PSU & the transformer would all fit in the case. Can you give me the internal height? The PSU can easily be configured to supply the MB, SOtM card & SSD. I can also terminate the cables with the correct connectors to fit each device. As I said before it would probably be better if I had a new PCB made that was a bit more DIY friendly in terms of mounting the semiconductors to the case that needed cooling. Cost would approximately $400 which includes delivery. Time frame would be around three to four weeks.

Hi Clay

A couple of questions from a potential Gieseler PSU owner.

I'm interested in a 3 output unit to power:

1) a Mini PC (Vers. 2) as server/playback - 5V 2.5A, or a SBT - 5V 3A (currently superseded by the Mini PC)

2) the USB input on my DAC (using a cable isolating power from the source device)

3) potentially a W4S USB Recovery unit (not sure on power requirements yet for this).

This would replace the Teredak U9VA LPSU currently powering the USB input, and a Teddy Pardo SBT PSU.

I have tried the Teddy PSU with the Mini PC using an barrel plug adapter to covert the Teddy PSU cable to what I think is a 4.0 mm (O.D) 1.7 mm (I.D) plug required by the Mini PC but this has been unsuccessful so far, I am assuming due to the PC having different polarity to the SBT maybe ?

There is also every chance of the Mini PC and SBT being replaced in the future (with what I am not sure) so potential to change voltage on this output down the track would be preferred.

Do you see any issues with supplying a unit to suit the above?

Thanks Adam

Edited by adamg

My 24V Gieseler Audio power supply for my Analogis Resume phono stage arrived on Friday and I've had a good play over the weekend. Frankly, I'm a little bit gob-smacked that a power supply could deliver such an audible impact as I'm generally a bit of a sceptic when it comes to system tweaking! Clearly, for the sensitive low voltages being dealt with using a low output MC cartridge (Technics EPC-310MC), a clean power supply is critical and should certainly not be categorised as a "tweak".

Immediately noticeable was massive drop in hiss and buzz with no signal - I was able to gain an additional 10 to 15dB on the volume dial before I could hear anything and this at a volume level I would never ever play music at. With volume then dropped and music playing, I just wasn't expecting a significant change but the music clearly just had more body and more 'meat on the bones'. Perhaps because of the drop in background noise, the dynamics of the whole system improved dramatically. It even felt like the TAG standmounts were suddenly reaching a little bit lower in the register.

I'm not going to argue about the scientific merits or otherwise; the proof for me was clearly in the listening and in that "Holy Schiit!!" moment when the music began. Anyone toying with the idea of a linear power supply for their phono stage, I encourage you to take a leap of faith that will be quickly rewarded!

I must also say that Clay is not just a true professional but a true gentleman to boot: well done Clay - the care and customer service you've shown from well before my order to past the delivery date has been second-to-none! Many many thanks!

post-109782-0-02357500-1454235191_thumb.

Edited by Hensa