Sign in to follow this  
Rewind

Recommendations - The Best Sounding SACD Player

On 11/01/2016 at 7:39 AM, Rewind said:

I came across the JLTi website yesterday.

Can anyone comment on the Oppo 105D with the Level 4 mod on SACD playback?

Hey there

i wrote this in another post about a month ago

"I have had both oppo 105's at the same time, the unmodded and modded, the modded 105 is a 'massive' improvement though mine is level 4.2 with the Analog Clock Booster.

I have the oppo 93, still own it, to good to sell for a lousy market rate of $200 - $300 so i have kept it for the kids.

I did A - B comparisons between the unmodded oppo 105  & oppo 93 a long time ago and could hardly pick the difference in sound.  i probably only leaned towards the 105 in sound because it is a newer model, but blind folded, pffft, good luck picking the better one.  I ripped the same CD onto 2 CD's, put them in the 93 and 105, pressed play at the same time and spent a good 1 - 2 hours comparing, eventually got confused which one i was switched to and had absolutely no idea which one was which."

The modded JLTI oppo105 is an awesome machine.

It can do everything, streaming, Cd's & SACD's and networking and it is a High End ESS Sabre Chipped DAC

I connected a Samsung T3 SSD to it and listened to music endlessly.

The sound quality is as good as you will ever get a ESS Sabre DAC Chip to sound.

Joe at JLTi has souped-up the oppo 105 to get every last 'bit' of sound out of it to make it sound as great as it will ever get.

I now have a Bricasti M1 DAC, which is another level up.

In saying so, the 105 now sits in idle, but i will never get rid of it because i don't believe there is any that can performed so well under the $10k range being so versatile.

If i sold it, i would get $3.5k for it, there is NOTHING for $3.5k that will replace it in sound quality and usability.

The difference in sound between a Bricasti M1 and oppo 105 is like:

- the oppo 105 is a souped-up 500 - 700 horse power 350 chev, lumpy cam with 8 cylinders firing in synch to create that beastly sound

- the Bricasti M1 has the Ferrari or Lambo sound, sounding great at idle and consistently great at high revs, it just purrs and ouzes charm

when you hear a  load V8 hotty on the road you know it's most likely a ford or holden, it has that sound.  Then when you hear a ferrari or lambo, without looking you know its 'not' a ford or holden.

then when you hear a stock Holden or Ford V8, you probably just keep walking and don't take much notice, these are all the other SACD players under $10k with the occasional one being factory specced but not just the same as the hotted up beast, that being the oppo 105.

A very different analogy with the oppo 105 and the Bricasti M1 both having their own characteristics. Some will prefer one sound over another.

Concluding, you can not go wrong with the modded oppo 105.

i also open an invitation to those that have a DAC in the $4 - 10K range to do a comparison test between the modded oppo 105, not a competition, just a fair comparison.  😀

in particular between the chords, PS audio, amr777, schitt and whatever other DACS

I currently own an Esoteric K-05X SACD and compared to other SACD or CD players I have used it is quite sensational. The Disc Drawer operation and overall build quality is really worth the price of entry. Worth noting that the Importers (AV Gallery or Krispy Audio) are excellent in working out a  very tempting price of entry re the RRP. Spending more money on a quality power cord is the go too! Most reviewers end their assessment of Esoteric SACD players with they have bought the review sample or won't give it back!

Cheers

To the OP: Did you end up a choosing an SACD player?

Anyone here have experience with the Arcam CDS50 with SACDs?

so what is the current state of play on sacd players :) 

oppo now dispatched...we seem to have a few more enter the arena. so we have currently ? 

Esoteric 

Luxman

marantz 

denon

pioneer

yamaha

any others ? 

the luxman and esoteric are in a higher price bracket, leaving the others below,

and there seem to be a three marantz upper models these days ? 

SA10s1

KI-Ruby

SA14s1 se

getting confusing all these marantz units used to be just two models and kinda strange the ruby is nearly price of the s3 and no balanced ? not that balanced is be all and end all, just seems odd at the price

I understand the denon and marantz are sort of cousins. certainly some similarity under skin I can see, the marantz going copper on some upper models :)

also wondering where that places the denon 2500ne ? is that some where there about at in-between SA14s1 se and ki-ruby or at or below sa14s1 se ? wiht all the constant deck shuffling and release of new marantz models the denon looks like a good thing :)

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/denon-dcd-2500ne-sacd-player-review-test-488575

Arcam has a new SACD CD player for $1500 that used the ESS 9038 Chipset like the Oppo 205. Does TIDAL streaming too but not Roon.

Don't forget OPPO ; even though production is ending the OPPO players were always reviewed as very good machines. Chosen for valve modification as well.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Arcam has a new SACD CD player for $1500 that used the ESS 9038 Chipset like the Oppo 205. Does TIDAL streaming too but not Roon.

looks like its the already released cds50 talking about ? 

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,HDA,SACD/CD-Player,CDS50.htm

that I didnt think was unto fmj level of old ?  more a price fighter ? not that $1500 is all that cheap if what goes for

I note there is a cheaper arcam fmj27 still knocking around .... but gee you really dont get much under the hood any more with arcams do you ?

fmj 27

arcam-cds27-3.jpg

older and how used to be arcam fmj 37... 

fmj-cd37-1b-arcam.jpg

looks like cds50 is continuing this new trend of "less is more" :D is it really the fmj 27 player in a cheaper case ? looks a dead ringer under hood ! 

d056c71dbd1f9d3a9bacd83660e191c4.jpg

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

so what is the current state of play on sacd players :) 

oppo now dispatched...we seem to have a few more enter the arena. so we have currently ? 

Esoteric 

Luxman

marantz 

denon

pioneer

yamaha

any others ? 

the luxman and esoteric are in a higher price bracket, leaving the others below,

and there seem to be a three marantz upper models these days ? 

SA10s1

KI-Ruby

SA14s1 se

getting confusing all these marantz units used to be just two models and kinda strange the ruby is nearly price of the s3 and no balanced ? not that balanced is be all and end all, just seems odd at the price

I understand the denon and marantz are sort of cousins. certainly some similarity under skin I can see, the marantz going copper on some upper models :)

also wondering where that places the denon 2500ne ? is that some where there about at in-between SA14s1 se and ki-ruby or at or below sa14s1 se ? wiht all the constant deck shuffling and release of new marantz models the denon looks like a good thing :)

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/denon-dcd-2500ne-sacd-player-review-test-488575

Al, you missed one of the best (and my choice) from the list. Accuphase was one of the early pioneers of SACD player design.

Accuphase currently has 

DP-560

DP-750

DP-950/DC-950 combo

This is the (cheapest) DP-560 inside. Not much spare space here. The up-market versions are even more complex.

782537294_ScreenShot2019-04-14at7_31_45am.thumb.png.bfa5334dd1dbbffcd18377ec0084b8bc.png

2 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Al, you missed one of the best (and my choice) from the list. Accuphase was one of the early pioneers of SACD player design.

Accuphase currently has 

DP-560

DP-750

DP-950/DC-950 combo

This is the (cheapest) DP-560 inside. Not much spare space here. The up-market versions are even more complex.

~

ah Adam, you are quite right they do indeed make lovely players ! and yes some good honest engineering under the hood :)