Sign in to follow this  
Rewind

Recommendations - The Best Sounding SACD Player

Would they be the only ones making their own transport?

As far as I know Esoteric and Accuphase design and make their own transports. Even dCS use an Esoteric VRDS drive.

Yamaha produce their own drives but it's hard to know what they're based on.

45 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Would they be the only ones making their own transport?

Luxman make their own transports

On 23/07/2018 at 1:43 PM, jeromelang said:

Yamaha sacd players invert absolute polarity.

That include the CD-S3000, CD-S2100, CD-S2000.

I would stay away from all these players if I were you. 

Lean, lifeless sound. Lacking dynamics, when compared to having the absolute polarity inversion corrected. 

If your amplifier have balanced XLR inputs you might correct absolute polarity by swapping pin2 and pin3 at source end of your balanced XLR cable (This method best avoid subjecting all downstream electronics and cabling to inverted signal flow directionality - which is another huge can of worms). 

If your amplifier only have single-ended RCA inputs, you can consider custom making a pair of interconnect cables with balanced XLR terminals at the source end, and RCA terminals at the destination end. Swap pin2 and pin3 at the XLR terminals, and short the negative conductor to ground at the RCA terminals. 

The other problem with Yamaha player is - their balanced XLR outputs are padded down by 6dB. So if you use the XLR-to-RCA cable method, the sound output into your amp will be attenuated by 6dB, becoming halved in level compared to the original single-end RCA outputs of Yamaha players! This is a right royal mess! What the fcuk their engineers were thinking about when they came up with the design of their entire line of players??!??? 

I came upon this post by chance and have wired my XLR cables as suggested.  I think you are right about the absolute polarity and I would recommend this to other owners of this unit, I'm not sure it really matters if the XLR outputs are "padded down" (this sounds negative) as my amp has a volume control?

Just bought a pioneer pd70ae sacd player. Wow!!! If you can listen to one do it.  
iron fist in a velvet glove! This thing rocks for sure. 

also brings out the very best in redbook cds. 😁

Pioneer pd70ae. The best disc spinner I have heard. Give it a listen if you can.