Recommendations - The Best Sounding SACD Player

Bang for the buck: Marantz SA800x series.

Do It All - Oppo 105D or Cambridge Audio equivalent.

Mid Tier: Marantz SA reference series. 11S3 would be a good step up over the SA800x series.

Next step up Esoteric K07/05

Custom discrete DSD DAC series: Playback Designs MPS-5 or EMM Labs XDS1

Silly money range - dCS Vivaldi

• Like 3

Yamaha upgraded 1000 & 2000 models to 1100 & 2100. Just got 2100 and it is just magnificent, definitely kicks way above its weight(price), great to use as a DAC too.

Installed proprietary USB driver and connected my PC thru USB, just brilliant sound :D

• Like 1

I have the yammie cds2100 and like it alot , - wouldnt mind trying a cds3000 tho  when they get a bit cheaper 

you could look for a used oppo 95 or 105 and be very happy as well. 

the marantz 8008 i think gets very good reviews and is well priced. 

Bang for the buck: Marantz SA800x series.

Do It All - Oppo 105D or Cambridge Audio equivalent.

Mid Tier: Marantz SA reference series. 11S3 would be a good step up over the SA800x series.

Next step up Esoteric K07/05

Custom discrete DSD DAC series: Playback Designs MPS-5 or EMM Labs XDS1

Silly money range - dCS Vivaldi

I came across the JLTi website yesterday.

Can anyone comment on the Oppo 105D with the Level 4 mod on SACD playback?

Have been enjoying the Meridian 808 for awhile now. Have previously listened to Krell SACD Standard, Marantz SA11s2, ATC CD2 and Accuphase (can't remember which model but it was meant to be comparable to the Marantz SA11s2 at the time.

In order of most warm sound to least: Marantz Krell Meridian ATC Accuphase

In order of soundstage largest to narrowest (approximate): Meridian Krell Marantz ATC

In order of detail: Meridian ATC Krell Marantz (I couldn't tolerate the Accuphase for long so can't comment too much on Accuphase detail and soundstage)

You kinda need to listen in your own system though as the "best CD player" is only possible to determine based on your other components. A detailed player may sound best in a valve heavy system and/or speakers which are a little rolled off.

Cost is another determinant. No point in overspending and then not being able to spend on a large music collection to enjoy.

• Like 2

For the absolute best  SACD player regardless of price the top offerings below would be on my short list

Soulution 746

CH Precision C1/D1

DCS Vilvaldi 4 Stack

Emm Labs TX2 and DA2 

Esoteric Grandioso P1/D1

Accuphase DP900/DC901

Playback Designs MPS5

Meridian does not play SACDs nice CD player though. Stay away from the Krell SACD Standard terrible player very detailed but hard edged digital sounding player and very unreliable ...failed on me 3 times before moving on. The Marantz SA11s2 is no giant killer but has  an honest sound to it for the price...put it up against the top tier SACDs and its short comings will be blindingly obvious.In my experience stay away from modded players............never live up to expectations and horrendous resale value.

Edited by Jones99
  • Like 5

Have been enjoying the Meridian 808 for awhile now. Have previously listened to Krell SACD Standard, Marantz SA11s2, ATC CD2 and Accuphase (can't remember which model but it was meant to be comparable to the Marantz SA11s2 at the time.

In order of most warm sound to least: Marantz Krell Meridian ATC Accuphase

In order of soundstage largest to narrowest (approximate): Meridian Krell Marantz ATC

In order of detail: Meridian ATC Krell Marantz (I couldn't tolerate the Accuphase for long so can't comment too much on Accuphase detail and soundstage)

You kinda need to listen in your own system though as the "best CD player" is only possible to determine based on your other components. A detailed player may sound best in a valve heavy system and/or speakers which are a little rolled off.

Cost is another determinant. No point in overspending and then not being able to spend on a large music collection to enjoy.

It appears Marantz scores in all three categories. Worth a try.

charles

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at upgrading from my current Sony (low end) sacd player, for something that has exceptional SQ.

Please recommend me a player, new or used, regardless of price.

I'd considered doing the same, but now am looking at a server based player.

can highly recommend the marantz sa players...or as I did buy a luxman they make lovely sacd players.

if dont mind older the sony scd-xa9000es is a stunner :)

You are so right! That 9000ES Sony was a stunning piece of equipment, I just sold mine, loved all the analog single ended multi-channel outputs, which were done away with on the 5400.  I liked it so much more than my 5400, that everyone praises , however the cold hard facts are, Sony will no longer be supporting either of those pieces any longer, no service, no parts, only a letter saying we are so sorry for any inconvenience, which just never went very far with me.  The original question by "Rewind" is much like how long is a piece of string, as some members have recommended units costing thousands of dollars.  Everyone knows an Esoteric or the DCS is top shelf, arguably the best of the best, however with any of these products you have a point of diminishing returns.  Owning those pieces goes beyond sound, it goes more to "Pride of Ownership".  After many years, over 40, of purchasing very high end equipment, including lots of Jeff Rowland Design Group,  and after selling all my high end Sony ES SACD players, as they are worthless in regard to support, I purchased the Oppo 105D. Any way you cut it, for what that product does, it's damn hard to beat, and it does SACD beautifully in native DSD, no converting to PCM.  It does PCM beautifully, it does CDs beautifully, it does streaming beautifully, it's just the coolest most well built swiss army knife you could buy, you get so many machines in one.  Are some of the Marantz SACD players great, SURE, why not, I just wanted one that did it all, saves so much space and wiring, and it does it all very well, so that would be my vote.  When I rob my next bank, it will be a nice DCS or Esoteric, that is for sure, lots of extra transformer boxes, power supply boxes, battery supply boxes, no problem!  :thumb:

Edited by Litejazz
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...