Polymax Absorb XHD 100mm batts

I bought a single pack of black 50mm sheets (6 in a pack) 2400X1200 Poly XHD. Bought through a supplier in Sydney and freighted to Bris CSR bradford warehouse with one of their orders :))

One of the best things I've done!

​Glad I didn't get the 100mm for my situation.  Only my rear corners have 2 layers of 50mm (800X2370). Easy to cut with a serrated bread knife. I still made light frames and used wind out (expanding) nuts (Bunnings) to hold frames against the ceiling. Plan on trying  400mm wide in other corners and  a full panel on the ceiling.  So the 50mm provides more panels to experiment with allows double up if req. pm me for the contact who arranged this for me. 

good idea, who was the supplier, might give them a call

Guest Peter the Greek

I was previously a fan of polyester batts, until I had to work with them in large numbers.....what a PITA the cut. Ultratel is the ducks nuts IMO. Fiberglass aside, its so nice to work with and once covered I believe is safe. I'll be using it again over the polyester 

I paid on the 10th Dec and they arrived about 6 days later, just in time for Christmas :)  My understanding was 6 of the 50mm in a pac or 3 of the 100mm in a pack?

They are really effective and look great in black.

You wouldn't by any chance be interested in uploading a picture of your polymax absorb? I'm assuming that your polyester is still raw without fabric.. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

There are some photos of the raw Polymax XHD50 in black in my thread here:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/64775-my-humble-system-now-with-added-polymax-xhd/?p=1129079

And double-stacked behind the speakers here (100mm thick).

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/64775-my-humble-system-now-with-added-polymax-xhd/?p=1391687

Edited by pete_mac

Cheers Pete,

Yeah that stuff looks quite nice even on its own. Might be able to spare myself some cash in the frames and fabric I was going to purchase. :)

I have had my 50mm sheets leaning up against 3 walls for nearly a year and even casually placed like this they made a fantastic improvement to sound.

I was fortunate enough to place an order at the right time as they had some spare sheets lying around, any attempted correspondence since then fell on deaf ears so I left it at that. (was thinking about some white for ceiling)

I have just recently placed them in MDF frames, covered them in fabric and hung them properly and this is definitely an improvement visually and something that I should have done ages ago.

Not content with that I am now making Jarrah surrounds for these panels as well. 

Initially it was about covering up a window but I am glad that I bought the extra sheets as they have come in very handy, even with the few left over I can now double up thickness into the rear of these panels.

It may be a P.I.T.A to get them but I believe it is worth the perseverance. :thumb: .

• Like 3

I've found my correspondence with the Melbourne distributor. Hopefully he is still doing it. Anybody want to buy a few sheets along with me? Better to decide what you want up front and have cut by the factory. This is what I was originally contemplating and the prices going back 2.5 years ago.

2 sheets of Black XHD 2400x600x100mm       $37.90 sqm+
2 sheets of Black XHD 2400x1200x100mm     $37.90 sqm+
2 sheets of Black XHD 2400x600x50mm          $19.45 sqm+

Delivery $65

I'll probably amend that order somewhat now as I want less absorption in my HT but want to play with some white for the family room.

• Like 1

no rush for me. I'm not sure how @@Marc feels about this sort of group buy? It's not to get better prices and upset local HiFi/AV retailers, just a way to get minimums to ensure supply.

If okay I may start another thread.

I've just spoken to a distributor in Penrith who has confirmed that each pack contains 6 sheets of 50mm 2400x1200.

Just waiting on pricing. I will probably only need 3 sheets so will most likely be looking for someone to split it with.

• Like 1

just for interests sake here a pics of how I framed my 1200 x 600 panels (which I cut from 2400 x 1200 sheets), I used wrc 65 x 8mm & the corner blocks (on back) are 14mm thick wrc.  I just screwed all the joints and stained the timber to match my skirtings/architrves, a very amateur diy but looks OK.

post-106384-0-13447600-1452228894_thumb.post-106384-0-29446700-1452229030_thumb.

don't know why but the crappy iphone pics are sideways :(

Edited by David.M
  • Like 6

just for interests sake here a pics of how I framed my 1200 x 600 panels (which I cut from 2400 x 1200 sheets), I used wrc 65 x 8mm & the corner blocks (on back) are 14mm thick wrc. I just screwed all the joints and stained the timber to match my skirtings/architrves, a very amateur diy but looks OK.

attachicon.gifXHD panel front.JPGattachicon.gifXHD panel back.JPG

They look great David. I plan something very similar.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

just for interests sake here a pics of how I framed my 1200 x 600 panels (which I cut from 2400 x 1200 sheets), I used wrc 65 x 8mm & the corner blocks (on back) are 14mm thick wrc.  I just screwed all the joints and stained the timber to match my skirtings/architrves, a very amateur diy but looks OK.

attachicon.gifXHD panel front.JPGattachicon.gifXHD panel back.JPG

Excellent work David.  Looks great.  I just have mine standing up in the two cirners behind the speakers - 400mm thick from memory or is it 4 x 50mm?