Sign in to follow this  
dwbasement

Record revirginizer

Yes, hunt down the wood glue threads. Not all pva glue is the same and some people have made mistakes for you (Selleys).

The benchmarks are Titebond II (thicker, longer set) or the Montmarte School Glue Gel (lighter, faster dry, very similar in appearance to Record Revirginiser).

Havent used the PVA glue before, But agree with the others in regards to the monte mart glue.

It works & its cheap :)

Not all pva glue is the same and some people have made mistakes for you (Selleys).

Doh! That's what I tried. Disaster.

Guest Muon

I tried the pva/craft glue method and it was messy and never gave a good result, I probably purchased the only PVA glue that sux for this job :D  Can't recall the brand.

I've used PVA and the Mont Marte, PVA was just bad and I wouldn't use it again. The Mont Marte was much better, but it still doesn't have the elasticity of Record Revirginizer when peeling off, so if you get bits that break away, they are harder to remove.

I reckon if you have very dirty records, use the revirginizer, no mess, a dollar a record, yes does need a bit of time.

If just normal cleaning, just use spray or any other quick clean method.

I wouldn't mess up my records with pvc glue...unless it's proven to be safe to use.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The Mont Marte was much better, but it still doesn't have the elasticity of Record Revirginizer when peeling off, so if you get bits that break away, they are harder to remove.

The secret there is to not skimp on the application of it.

The secret there is to not skimp on the application of it.

No skimping, I find it occasionally breaks away on the outer grooves near the edge of the record which can be a real pain.

Doh! That's what I tried. Disaster.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.  :P

No skimping, I find it occasionally breaks away on the outer grooves near the edge of the record which can be a real pain.

I've found that using an ice cream stick cut at an angle works well for scraping the stragglers off around the edge and is quite gentle on the vinyl. Picked this tip up from a YouTube vid. I'm constantly being surprised at the results I'm getting. I pick d up Rain Dogs and to they eye it looked to be in vg cond however on playing there were a few songs that skipped/repeated. Cleaned using the pva and now it plays perfect. Obviously there was built up bits on it that normal cleaning couldn't remove but the pva did the trick.

Edited by Fair Play

I've found that using an ice cream stick cut at an angle works well for scraping the stragglers off around the edge and is quite gentle on the vinyl. Picked this tip up from a YouTube vid. I'm constantly being surprised at the results I'm getting. I pick d up Rain Dogs and to they eye it looked to be in vg cond however on playing there were a few songs that skipped/repeated. Cleaned using the pva and now it plays perfect. Obviously there was built up bits on it that normal cleaning couldn't remove but the pva did the trick.

I hadn't heard the ice cream stick idea before - thanks!

Hope that Tom LP wasn't one of mine...didn't I sell you one?  <EEK!>

Anyway, the glueing method certainly *can* make a difference to difficult rekkids.

I never would have thought to use them if I hadn't seen that vid. It works very well.

Haha no not that one, I bought this one from a garage sale . I'm didn't end up buying that one from you. I think it was Blue Valentine?

Yep, all of my favourites are getting the glue treatment :)

Edited by Fair Play

Tried the PVA trick after reading about it here on a sacrificial record and the majority of the glue came off in a nice thick skin.

Unfortunately there were thin strips remaining in a few areas and I could not for the life of me get it to seperate from the inside (outside label) so into the bin it went.

This procedure clearly works for some people and you can easily tell by the texture of the skins underside that it is really getting into those grooves but for me I found the risk is too high to continue with this method.

It's good fun to experiment though and no doubt I went wrong somewhere but I shall stick to an alternative (no pun intended). :D

What would you guys recommend, the revirginzer or the spin clean? I have a few rare old records that need cleaning before they get anywhere near my table haha. 

I've used Revirginizer quite a bit. Found the bits sticking to the outer edge annoying. Using it on new or slightly dirty records was a mistake. I found the stylus would pick up a lot of the debris. T hey didn't respond to my email or phone call so I was a bit salty after that. I often used miracle cleaner after Revirginizer. I'm ready to move on to a RCM. Perhaps the one mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used Revirginizer quite a bit. Found the bits sticking to the outer edge annoying. Using it on new or slightly dirty records was a mistake. I found the stylus would pick up a lot of the debris. T hey didn't respond to my email or phone call so I was a bit salty after that. I often used miracle cleaner after Revirginizer. I'm ready to move on to a RCM. Perhaps the one mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My biggest concern with revirginizer or pva method of cleaning is potential damage to my stylus, has any one experienced damaged stylus from using this method?

Would a spin clean after pva clean help remove last particles of pva?

I only use Revirginizer on old records that are still noisy after using Spin Clean.  I have been very pleased with the revirginizer results.

I just got whatever was on the shelf at officeworks. "J.Burrows PVA glue"I'm listening to the record again now and I must say the difference is amazing. Still some very light crackle here and there but it's a massive improvement.

I've just tried the J.Burrows PVA glue on a record which appeared to be in good condition but sounded very crackly. Wow! The result is a record as good as new. I put a pretty thick layer on and carefully spread it evenly with a credit card. We've had recent rain so it took 36 hours to dry in the high humidity. I suggest not bothering with tags to help the peeling off as this seems to complicate things. Just using my thumbnail the glue came off in one perfect piece  I'm now a complete convert and will be working my way through any crackly records in my collection. 

I've just tried the J.Burrows PVA glue on a record which appeared to be in good condition but sounded very crackly. Wow! The result is a record as good as new. I put a pretty thick layer on and carefully spread it evenly with a credit card. We've had recent rain so it took 36 hours to dry in the high humidity. I suggest not bothering with tags to help the peeling off as this seems to complicate things. Just using my thumbnail the glue came off in one perfect piece  I'm now a complete convert and will be working my way through any crackly records in my collection.

Nice one @@Chigurh

Yes definitely a waste of time when its humid. I do mine in the shed with all doors open and a small fan blowing directly onto the spinning table. In dry conditions it's normally dry within 30-40 mins.

The glue has been peeling off so perfectly for me that curiosity got the better of me and I tested to see if one of the glue doughnuts would play. It did! Albeit backwards and the groove runs from the inside out. I only tried a few seconds. All good fun.  :P

The glue has been peeling off so perfectly for me that curiosity got the better of me and I tested to see if one of the glue doughnuts would play. It did! Albeit backwards and the groove runs from the inside out. I only tried a few seconds. All good fun.  :P

Very game bloke

Ha! Hope you cleaned the needle afterwards!!

I've found the Montmarte School Glue Gel outstanding for cleaning LP's, though I apply it with a 1" paint brush and leave it on for 24 hours.

I tried Melody Mate and although the product is excellent, I don't like cleaning LP's with a microfiber cloth in order to remove the Melody mate.  I found that some debris caught on the cloth appeared to cause minor surface noise, which sounded like very fine scratches during playback on some of my treasured LP's.  This has made me reluctant to continue using it at this stage.  

If I had a vacuum record cleaner then the Melody Mate would be my choice of cleaner, but presently the Montmarte Gel is my preferred method.  

Ha! Hope you cleaned the needle afterwards!!

No need to. If anything I think the stylus would actually be cleaner. Remember the glue picks up junk from the record so I reckon it probably picks any junk on the stylus too. No damage done, I only tried it for a few seconds and records still sound perfect.  :D

No need to. If anything I think the stylus would actually be cleaner. Remember the glue picks up junk from the record so I reckon it probably picks any junk on the stylus too. No damage done, I only tried it for a few seconds and records still sound perfect.  :D

Ha, I was going to make a joke about using PVA glue to clean the stylus in this his other thread  :D

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/95207-stylus-cleaning-under-the-microscope/

Edited by enikoy