Record revirginizer

Kuzma RCM noisy but does an excellent job especially using his paint edger as the brush and some fancy cleaning fluid.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kuzma-VINVAC-LP-Record-Vacuum-Cleaning-Machine-IN-230V-/281187584131

Thats the one look like consonance i think...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Nap250 said:

My experience has been it is a pain to apply and I was just as happy with the result from the RCM that Greg uses.  In fact much quicker and far easier to use.

I have never tried wood glue and couldn't be bothered. @Hensa

Likewise, I just wouldn't have the patience for revirginiser as my staple cleaner for LPs. Perhaps I should give it a try on an LP otherwise consigned for the junk pile just to test it out but even the thought of the time and effort involved puts me off the idea.

The Kuzma does what other RCMs do well, quickly and with minimum fuss. Yes it is loud but I use a pair of ear muffs or my iPod when doing a cleaning session so not too much of an issue.

On 09/09/2016 at 8:33 PM, Linkin said:

Wood glue is cheaper and achieves the same outcome

It may achieve a good clean but I would be wary about stylus damage if you don't get it all off the records surface, it's a harder residue and can cause tip damage, whereas Revirginizer stays 'rubbery' and is more forgiving to the stylus, if any does get left behind. Plus RV has solvents designed to dissolve groove gunk, not sure wood glues do the same. But of course, if it works for you, cool. :thumb:

• 2 years later...

Soooo... after initial skepticism I have become a pretty big fan of the Blue Goop. I buy a lot of records second-hand, in all sorts of conditions. Some records I have bought from stores where I know they've been through an RCM and still had pops and scrapes, which the Revirginiser has removed or greatly reduced. I also have records that I bought in op-shops 25 years ago that were so scratchy and nasty that I was only keeping them for sentimental purposes (what I could listen to on a crummy Sanyo all-in-one in a teenage bedroom doesn't really cut it in 2019), but have now become pretty excellent listening copies (Bowie's Man Who Sold The World and The Cure's SeventeenSeconds if you were wondering). For me the cost of a couple of bucks on top of a cheap record to get it up to VG+ (or sometimes EX-) is worth it. Incidentally I find it endlessly surprising how visually poor records can often sound excellent, and records that look spotless can sound terrible. 

BUT!!!!! I find it an infuriatingly inconsistent product to use, and despite going through a couple of bottles I still don't feel I've totally mastered it. I think I'm pretty good at putting it on, but sometimes I get a lovely clean peel off and sometimes it'll break up during peeling and little fibre strands will visibly lurk in the grooves. These can be coaxed out with the peeled off bit, and don't seem to make any notable sound - but I feel there's a bit of variablility and voodoo about how long it should be left to dry and how to tell when it's time to remove it. If I stuff it up I just go again but obviously I'd like to be getting good results first time. 

So given it's an Aussie product and there must be a few users around here (?) - I was wondering if anyone has any tips on application and dosage, drying times, peeling techniques, anything that they've discovered to get this cool but sometimes frustrating product working to its full potential.

• 1 year later...

Just got a bottle of the relaunched RRV - think the cheaper price point is great! But having used dozens of bottles of the old stuff, this one smelled quite notably of alcohol. The old one was always odourless. Anyone else had this experience?

Totally open to there being some early adjustments as I believe a new business has bought the licence/formula. Gotta say I’m a huge fan of the product but I don’t think I’ll be using this particular bottle on any ultra precious LPs.   

On 08/09/2019 at 4:08 PM, Emsworth said:

Soooo... after initial skepticism I have become a pretty big fan of the Blue Goop. I buy a lot of records second-hand, in all sorts of conditions. Some records I have bought from stores where I know they've been through an RCM and still had pops and scrapes, which the Revirginiser has removed or greatly reduced. I also have records that I bought in op-shops 25 years ago that were so scratchy and nasty that I was only keeping them for sentimental purposes (what I could listen to on a crummy Sanyo all-in-one in a teenage bedroom doesn't really cut it in 2019), but have now become pretty excellent listening copies (Bowie's Man Who Sold The World and The Cure's SeventeenSeconds if you were wondering). For me the cost of a couple of bucks on top of a cheap record to get it up to VG+ (or sometimes EX-) is worth it. Incidentally I find it endlessly surprising how visually poor records can often sound excellent, and records that look spotless can sound terrible. 

BUT!!!!! I find it an infuriatingly inconsistent product to use, and despite going through a couple of bottles I still don't feel I've totally mastered it. I think I'm pretty good at putting it on, but sometimes I get a lovely clean peel off and sometimes it'll break up during peeling and little fibre strands will visibly lurk in the grooves. These can be coaxed out with the peeled off bit, and don't seem to make any notable sound - but I feel there's a bit of variablility and voodoo about how long it should be left to dry and how to tell when it's time to remove it. If I stuff it up I just go again but obviously I'd like to be getting good results first time. 

So given it's an Aussie product and there must be a few users around here (?) - I was wondering if anyone has any tips on application and dosage, drying times, peeling techniques, anything that they've discovered to get this cool but sometimes frustrating product working to its full potential.

Wow, missed this post! RV is a great product and has transformed many of my old LP's and more recent second hand purchases from 'eeeww' to 'new' (almost!). Brilliant product. I have never had many issues with peeling off RV but will say the longer you leave it to dry, the more chance there is of leaving something behind. I guess the key is to remove as soon as it is ok/dry enough to do so.

I have recently turned to using craft glue because it is far cheaper and the results are just as good but I do notice that there is more prevalence of some residue being left behind.....but there is no doubt that both RV and craft glue do a wonderful job of 'pristine' cleaning of LP's. ?

On 19/03/2021 at 4:23 PM, Emsworth said:

Just got a bottle of the relaunched RRV - think the cheaper price point is great! But having used dozens of bottles of the old stuff, this one smelled quite notably of alcohol. The old one was always odourless. Anyone else had this experience?

Totally open to there being some early adjustments as I believe a new business has bought the licence/formula. Gotta say I’m a huge fan of the product but I don’t think I’ll be using this particular bottle on any ultra precious LPs.   

Didn't know that RV had new owners and new formula and it's great that it is cheaper. My only suggestion is to test it on a less popular LP of yours and just see how it goes. It surely has been lab tested to show it doesn't damage LP's one would think! Maybe extra alcohol has been added simply to speed up drying time, an oft cited criticism of RV. Please let us know the results of such a test if you take the plunge. :thumb:

Edited by stevoz