Record revirginizer

I've found the Montmarte School Glue Gel outstanding for cleaning LP's, though I apply it with a 1" paint brush and leave it on for 24 hours.

I tried Melody Mate and although the product is excellent, I don't like cleaning LP's with a microfiber cloth in order to remove the Melody mate.  I found that some debris caught on the cloth appeared to cause minor surface noise, which sounded like very fine scratches during playback on some of my treasured LP's.  This has made me reluctant to continue using it at this stage.  

If I had a vacuum record cleaner then the Melody Mate would be my choice of cleaner, but presently the Montmarte Gel is my preferred method.  

I'm not sold on that Melody Mate manual procedure either. Not going to take long for gunk to build up on that supplied microfibre towel. I do think the Melody Mate fluid is brilliant though.

My basic cleaning routine process is:

2nd hand, grotty looking or noisy.

- manual wet wash with my own homebrew cleaning fluid

- if a low dull constant cracking remains (which I believe is residual cleaning fluid) I will wipe over with melody mate. If it is a great condition pressing I will use Montmarte School Glue Gel to lift this off.

New and noisy or static issues, and near mint second hand.

- wipe over with melody mate, then if still noisy give it the Montmarte School Glue Gel.

I'm very conscious of making things worse when tinkering about with things ;)  

Seems like that "light bulb" moment I had helping my daughter's art & craft with the Montmarte glue has resulted in many clean records across Australia  :thumb:

• Like 4

I'm not sold on that Melody Mate manual procedure either. Not going to take long for gunk to build up on that supplied microfibre towel. I do think the Melody Mate fluid is brilliant though.

My basic cleaning routine process is:

2nd hand, grotty looking or noisy.

- manual wet wash with my own homebrew cleaning fluid

- if a low dull constant cracking remains (which I believe is residual cleaning fluid) I will wipe over with melody mate. If it is a great condition pressing I will use Montmarte School Glue Gel to lift this off.

New and noisy or static issues, and near mint second hand.

- wipe over with melody mate, then if still noisy give it the Montmarte School Glue Gel.

I'm very conscious of making things worse when tinkering about with things ;)  

Seems like that "light bulb" moment I had helping my daughter's art & craft with the Montmarte glue has resulted in many clean records across Australia  :thumb:

Yes, you really did set the cat amongst the pigeons with that one.   :thumb:

For mine, it beats the Record Revirginizer idea, at a discount price.

YMMV.

...But if your really serious about cleaning vinyl, build yourself an ultrasonic cleaner.

It was a project I completed over the Xmas break. Cost me $280 in total.

Leaves all other methods for dead Cleaned 7 records at once and takes 8 mins...

Was this the Jacar/SiliconChip kit? 

Was this the Jacar/SiliconChip kit?

No. It was a Bill buying stuff off eBay and another SNA member and building one

Pretty easy really.

Google ultrasonic record cleaners. Lots of YouTube stuff showing you how to build one

Beats any other cleaning method into a cocked hat

• Like 1

No. It was a Bill buying stuff off eBay and another SNA member and building one

Pretty easy really.

Google ultrasonic record cleaners. Lots of YouTube stuff showing you how to build one

Beats any other cleaning method into a cocked hat

Bill any chance that you could provide a few more details, like what gear you bought and where? Also any tips and detailed guides or even which YouTube site you used.

I would be interested in making one if it isn't too difficult.

• Like 1

Hi @@Nap250

I'll put together a guide with links to what I bought and what YouTube clips I watched.

I'll post it here in the next couple of days

It's very easy to build. Took me all of 2 hours in total

Cheers

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 4

Hi Nap250

I'll put together a guide with links to what I bought and what YouTube clips I watched.

I'll post it here in the next couple of days

It's very easy to build. Took me all of 2 hours in total

Cheers

Ya gonna post ur naked pics too??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@@Nap250

Here is a unit similar to mine.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131693069931&globalID=EBAY-AU

I'll post the DIY and dome pics on the next day or so.

Thanks Bill, I look forward to your update. I need to get something better than spin clean.

@@ABG

@@Hensa

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Nap250
  • Like 1

@@Nap250

Thanks Peter.  Have you ever put one of your records through an ultrasonic cleaner?  They're not the cure all that some expect.  I think @metalbeat had a thread running on his and he said he wouldn't part with his vacuum type RCM.  Matches my (very limited) experience too.  If you have the patience, putting an old record through Revirginiser or Mont Marte, then through a vacuum RCM and then through an ultrasonic cleaner would give you the best possible results.  But I would rather listen to music than clean records.  I find my Record Doctor V is good enough for the inevitable dirty record and it makes a slight improvement to even the cleanest new pressings, but I rarely find myself with the spare time, so as a general rule only the worst get cleaned.  :(

@metalbeat and @@Viognier would be able to provide you with a much more informed opinion.

Edited by ABG

I have never used revirginizer or glue so can't really comment. I sold my Okki Nokki to help fund the KLaudio. I just wasn't using the ON. In hindsight I probably should have kept it but just for really dirty records. A clean in the ON followed by the ultrasonic on dirty op shop records is probably the best combo. I tend not to by grotty records anyway. Can't fault the KLaudio. @@Nap250 your welcome to bring some records around to try the KLA.

• Like 1

Hi Pater (@Nap250), I've never tried an ultrasonic cleaner but have never felt the need for a better cleaner than the Kuzma which you've seen at my place. I do a cleaning session before almost every playing session including all new vinyl which I then re-sleeve. With the Melody Mate not needing a rinse cycle, I can clean 4 or 5 LPs in around 5 minutes, so I do this while the system warms up with a CD. Then if I play a record that hasn't been cleaned in a while, and it is a bit noisy, I'll stop and give it a clean then start it again.

I don't think there would be too much to pick between the automatic RCMs, with the main difference being noise levels more than anything else. I think the Consonance machine you were thinking about would be a good bet though I haven't tried it personally.

I have never used revirginizer or glue so can't really comment. I sold my Okki Nokki to help fund the KLaudio. I just wasn't using the ON. In hindsight I probably should have kept it but just for really dirty records. A clean in the ON followed by the ultrasonic on dirty op shop records is probably the best combo. I tend not to by grotty records anyway. Can't fault the KLaudio. @@Nap250 your welcome to bring some records around to try the KLA.

Thanks Mark, I will bring a couple over at some stage.

• Like 1

Hi Pater (@Nap250), I've never tried an ultrasonic cleaner but have never felt the need for a better cleaner than the Kuzma which you've seen at my place. I do a cleaning session before almost every playing session including all new vinyl which I then re-sleeve. With the Melody Mate not needing a rinse cycle, I can clean 4 or 5 LPs in around 5 minutes, so I do this while the system warms up with a CD. Then if I play a record that hasn't been cleaned in a while, and it is a bit noisy, I'll stop and give it a clean then start it again.

I don't think there would be too much to pick between the automatic RCMs, with the main difference being noise levels more than anything else. I think the Consonance machine you were thinking about would be a good bet though I haven't tried it personally.

The ultrasonic may be a bit of a fun project I can do with my father. The record collection is growing and may just justify the Consonance fairly soon.

It is interesting how noisy a lot of new records are, it is a disgrace given how much they charge for them (especially when some of them are warped).

The ultrasonic may be a bit of a fun project I can do with my father. The record collection is growing and may just justify the Consonance fairly soon.

It is interesting how noisy a lot of new records are, it is a disgrace given how much they charge for them (especially when some of them are warped).

Some new records are not just noisy, there are problem with the pressing too, I've been given refund for a few new release records...shame

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk