Sign in to follow this  
dwbasement

Record revirginizer

Just finished cleaning 10 really old and dusty records with the record revirginizer, the result is prefect, all the clicks and pops are gone except if the record is damaged then obviously it won't be fixed.

I use this cleaning rack so that I can stack 10 records each time that save me a lot of time. And it needs about 10ml for each record, a bottle is 500ml so $1 a record is not too bad. A RCM is probably cheaper in long term but don't have the money and space for it yet...022341fdb258d7adfea3488dfc8498ac.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report @@dwbasement

I was curious about this product but think I will give it a go.

Skender.

Thanks for the report @@dwbasement

I was curious about this product but think I will give it a go.

Skender.

I wouldn't bother. Just get one of these and be done with it

https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

Nothing wrong with the stuff but you'll soon get sick of it and by the time you've purchased 4 bottles that's approx the price of the EV1

Yeah I've been doing a bit mor reading (thanks for the links @) and it seems the revirginizer does pretty much the same job as the pva/craft glue method. I have tried this before and while quite effective and cost efficient it is a bit labourious. Might just stick with this until I can afford a nitty gritty.

Nothing wrong with the stuff but you'll soon get sick of it and by the time you've purchased 4 bottles that's approx the price of the EV1

Yes i would agree if the result is the same or better with the EV1, has anyone tried? It would be interesting to know especially result on some really old and dirty records that's what I am talking about, it really works and a play grade of say poor to excellent after using this. I would probably use this with records in that condition because it does take a long time to dry but I think it was worth it for old and noisy records, it's easy to use except waiting time, and it's saving time compare to washing with alcohol or other stuff, vacuming and washing up...etc

BUT if other methods are better and cheaper, I would definitely use it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I got a quote on ev1 few months ago, $330 Aust including freight. That's Still cheap for a RCM but I have a spin clean and can't justify the $

I am thinking about the revirginizer to hopefully remove the final pops on some of my older records that the spin clean hasn't quite been able to get back to 100%

Anyone tried both the revirginizer and spin clean ?

I got a quote on ev1 few months ago, $330 Aust including freight. That's Still cheap for a RCM but I have a spin clean and can't justify the $

I am thinking about the revirginizer to hopefully remove the final pops on some of my older records that the spin clean hasn't quite been able to get back to 100%

Hmm, the sad exchange rate has put the price up a bit. I used to borrow a VPI RCM and although the VPI is easier to use the EV1 produces the same result and the only difference really is you have turn the record yourself and hold the brush. The EV1 will remove mold although it can take to clean cycles on really bad LP's.

I still have some Revirginizer but haven't had the need to use it. The main problem I had with it was the drying time which was 24 hrs until I put the heater on in the spare room. Hamilton NZ is not the warmest or driest place in the winter!

I use some standard spray first just to clean up the surface then use the revirginizer, and the result was excellent, that's for really old and poor play grade records. As I mentioned I would probably only use the revirginizer for really old and dusty records because it does take a long time to dry, good thing is you just leave them to dry and don't need to do anything...

Edited by dwbasement

Ok, so I've found a likely culprit. CBS Miles Davis Aura, nice LP but it has the annoying snap, crackle and pop going on. Will apply the Reverginizer and let you all know tomorrow 

How about doing one side on the KAB and one side revirginizer?

How about doing one side on the KAB and one side revirginizer?

Good idea Cliff. Done already  :)

Ok. I played an old crackly classical record last night. Crackles and pops were consistent and loud. I'm trying the pva glue method now. I've used this method once before but didn't do a before/after check. I'll report back in an hour or so with results.

Interesting to know what's the best. I tried on a new lp which has very annoying clicks and pops at the quiet section which is the best bit of the record...unfortunately the revirginizer didn't fix the problem, I believe this is the pressing issue because the pips and clicks have not been cleaned at all and it was the same as it was before cleaning. I tried on a few very old (43 years old classical) and the result was stunning, almost 99% pops and clicks gone, very happy with the result.

I also tried on some newish lp (only minor pops) which I compared with just spray clean, and not much difference.

I reckon this thing would be useful if you have some really bad ones.

Ok. I played an old crackly classical record last night. Crackles and pops were consistent and loud. I'm trying the pva glue method now. I've used this method once before but didn't do a before/after check. I'll report back in an hour or so with results.

Apologies to the op for the hijack! Hopefully it's ok to post this...

Side one complete. Glue took about 30-40 mins to dry assisted by a small fan. Peeled off in one neat piece replicating exactly the grooves of the LP on the skin! I reckon you could play it. Anyway, the $3.00 pva glue passed with flying colours. All loud pops and crackles are gone and the finished product looks beautiful. I used an ice cream stick to lift the dried glue away from the edge. Not knowing enough about this method I'd be reluctant to try this on any valuable records, however, for run of the mill records I have no problem using it. It's quick, easy and very effective. Here's some pics.

before:

post-153445-0-69201500-1451723768_thumb.

post-153445-0-54450800-1451723721_thumb.

post-153445-0-13826900-1451726637_thumb.

post-153445-0-92582500-1451726878_thumb.

post-153445-0-22184600-1451723747_thumb.

A word of warning. Cut your nails before doing this or anything else with your records! I had just peeled the dried glue off and reached to pick up he record and my thumb nail left a nice scratch behind :(

Here's the finished product

post-153445-0-20499200-1451726530_thumb.

Thankfully it's a salvos $1.25 special and the scratch doesn't cause the needle to jump/skip

No worries mate, if there is any alternatives that work better, I would love to know too. I put this under vinyl analog instead of product review simply because this is not a review but just an experience to share so more comments better the outcome fir everyone!

Now cones the question, if all this manual cleaning methods are that good, what's the advantage of RCM? I would like to know because my plan in the future is to get a decent RCM...

Cheers. I'd say the main advantage of the RCM would be its time/efficiency?

I quite enjoying the process of manual cleaning while listening to some music when I am free like this holiday season, it's quite relaxing.

If only time is the advantage, then make me wonder now if I need to buy a rcm or just use the money to buy more music...

Edited by dwbasement

I quite enjoying the process of manual cleaning while listening to some music when I am free like this holiday season, it's quite relaxing.

If only time is the advantage, then make me wonder now if I need to buy a rcm or just use the money to buy more music...

Agreed. It's quite cathartic and the rewards are great!

Haha! I know what I'd rather spend my money on!

I have, Revirginizer is definitely a better clean, good for old, gritty records. Spin clean is great for just routine maintenance on your collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyway, the $3.00 pva glue passed with flying colours.

Which brand of glue? I tried this method once using an old bottle of PVA glue and made a complete pig's ear of it. I had to throw away the record.

Which brand of glue? I tried this method once using an old bottle of PVA glue and made a complete pig's ear of it. I had to throw away the record.

I just got whatever was on the shelf at officeworks. "J.Burrows PVA glue"I'm listening to the record again now and I must say the difference is amazing. Still some very light crackle here and there but it's a massive improvement.

Edited by Fair Play

For some reason the stuff hasn't dried again! That's 14 hrs now.

Leave for longer and see how I get on later

Hi guys

There is a huge thread on here about cleaning with PVA glue.

I've tried lots of brands but a cheaply from the $2 stores worked the best

It's Mont Mart school glue

There is lots of info on it in the thread

But if your really serious about cleaning vinyl, build yourself an ultrasonic cleaner.

It was a project I completed over the Xmas break. Cost me $280 in total.

Leaves all other methods for dead Cleaned 7 records at once and takes 8 mins

Good luck lads

Hi guys

There is a huge thread on here about cleaning with PVA glue.

I've tried lots of brands but a cheaply from the $2 stores worked the best

It's Mont Mart school glue

There is lots of info on it in the thread

But if your really serious about cleaning vinyl, build yourself an ultrasonic cleaner.

It was a project I completed over the Xmas break. Cost me $280 in total.

Leaves all other methods for dead Cleaned 7 records at once and takes 8 mins

Good luck lads