Bluesound Node 2 improvements over Node 1 (original)

Guest Sime

Hi guys, I've decided to do a quick list of the improvements and modifications the new Node has over the original one that I have come across so far. So hopefully it may be enough for people to update over their original one.

I've owned both and use them with a DAC and there's no improvement of the sound this way from the old to the new, but has it improved its onboard DAC, I don't know.

If you own the older one, and have been niggled by some of the things that have been improved on the new one, it's worth the trade up. Apart from anything, it's new form factor is a benefit from the start.

I was hoping the new one would index tracks faster, but it doesn't.

Node 1

post-151620-0-01183100-1451507370_thumb.

Node 2

post-151620-0-98337700-1451507402_thumb.

Node 1 Rear Panel

post-151620-0-66446800-1451509303_thumb.

Node 2 Rear Panel

post-151620-0-77689100-1451508979_thumb.

Improvements and additions are as follows:

The ability to power HDD from the unit without having to use a powered USB HUB. the original didn't have enough power to run some portable HDD.

Built in Headphone amp and 3.5 mm socket in the front (has as much output as an iPhone)

COAX input

3.5mm analog/optical input (comes with an adapter for 3.5mm optical)

Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity aptX

Arm Cortex A9 CPU 1ghz

New Wifi chip for better reliability (the original was iffy)

Infrared sensor that's learnable ( if you have a remote with play/pause/next track etc it can learn them) this alone is great, no need to open the app to pause a track)

Play pause and previous and next track buttons on the machine itself.

Infrared (IR) 3.5mm input at the back

Subwoofer output

Trigger out (still not sure what you'd use this for on this, Anyone?)

Much easier accessibility on the rear panel.

Edited by Sime

Guest thathifiguy

Exactly the same @

I just mean in general, how is it to use? I've never tried Bluesound products before.

Edited by Tarxman82

I'm waiting to pick up a bluesound powernode 2 and pulse 2 when I return from holidays :-)

I find the interface easy to use and love the sound quality. Just figuring out what to use the Node 1 for. Perhaps an outdoor system.. The remote control feature is a great idea!

After having it for a few days, I'd never go back to the square box format again. The new design is a hell of a lot better, the access to the rear panel alone is a joy.

Edited by Sime

I complained about DSD to them and then remembered I only wanted it to test my system with free DSD downloads. Most people don't have much in the way of DSD music.

I think adding coax was a smart move as it should keep most people happy.

If they get round to releasing a battery for the pulse flex I will buy one, no... I will buy two and use them for stereo sound by the BBQ! The main challenge I see is the product line is probably more expensive than it should be to steal sonos marketshare and the 100,000 track limit puts off some potential big advocates. I'd love to see airplay, google cast, DLNA but not precious about them

Edited by Randle

I thought they mentioned DOP was on the horizon. I would have thought the USB port could double up for that. 

I did love how the OS was smart enough to work in a cluster and organise the music on different HDDs hooked up to different Nodes/Vaults and present it as a unified library. 

@@Randle in regards to the new coax output, I've been listening to a node with optical for over a year, and have now changed to the COAX, and I won't be going back to optical.

It's cleaner and more detailed, so I think.......

• 2 months later...

New Bluesound Firmware and IOS app was released today, and it's a big change from the way it's always been. Let's see how it goes.

post-151620-0-56784100-1458681159_thumb.

post-151620-0-80415800-1458681186_thumb.

I thought Bluesound players could not get any better. Lots of improvements. I'll post some of the main ones once I've found them all.

post-151620-0-70153800-1458681646_thumb.

post-151620-0-79919700-1458681715_thumb.

post-151620-0-48543900-1458681871_thumb.