WTB: Closed headphones for subjective testing and reference

Item: Headphones, closed back type, for reference and subjective listening. Will also consider OPEN BACK as well after some tips from the Forum

Price Range:up to $250 + shipping

Item Condition: New or Used but in great condition not needing repairs and in 100% operational condition, someone has a pair put away they never use, time to send them to someone who has a use for them  :)  :anyone: 

Extra Info: Advice is welcome from anyone, headphone noob, this will be my first set, item would need to be sent across the ditch to Tasmania, connection required is the large stereo headphone socket

Edited by Guest

Hi 125dBmonster,

I had a pair of Sony MDR-7506 for a while, they are closed back have a superb reputation and I felt they did a good job of letting me hear what was going on with the music. I did find the pads were a little thin so they didn't quite have enough room for my ears and were therefore not comfortable for long sessions. I gave mine to a mate to make room for some other cans in the collection but I would buy them again in a flash.

http://pro.sony.com.au/pro/product/broadcast-products-professional-audio-headphones/mdr-7506/overview/#overview

You mention Tasmania but if you ever come to Melbourne the guys at Addicted to Audio (https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/) are great and you will be able to listen to a huge range of cans/dacs/amps till the cows come home.

I have also purchased from Headphonic (http://headphonic.com.au/) with success.

Two semi-local options though neither stock the Sony cans I speak about, you might be able to find them locally.

Cheers, Nick

Edited - got the name wrong

Edited by nandrzej

Cheers,

FYI Headphonic are in WA.

It is a slippery path, they can be cheaper than speakers and many people, me included end up with several pairs.

Enjoy the journey :)

Hoping to free someone that extra pair.  :)

Cheers

matt for the price if you can grab a second hand pair of B&W p7s they'd be a great pickup

for what its worth....for listening quality where closed backs are good if wanting to keep outside sound out and sound from your phones in....in all my experience they aren't a patch on open back phones....

I use my B&Ws mainly travelling as they come handy for that but at home if using for "subjective testing reference" there are many open backs that will be fantastic in this regard. should be able to find a pair of quite excellent senheisser HD580s/hd650 or AKGs or even Grados if lucky...just matter of what comes up on the market while your looking :)

Hi Matt

No offence, a budget of $200 is not going to take you far. 

I think you have fantastic systems with really low noise floors. A $200 headphone? sorry you are not going to like it.

What amp is going to drive the headphones?

Depending on your setup , what you wish to achieve etc, but please consider:

• Open back
  • Closed back
  • In ear \ IEM
  • Headphone amp
  • The rest of the system.

Please let us know what you wish to achieve.

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/sennheiser-hd600-audiophile-reference-hifi-stereo-headphones

if can afford the above, it is THE pick of the sennheissers and I say that having owned pretty much all in the range.

but will need a good amp...

• Like 1

Hi @@Jventer

I have a Lycan, Burson Supreme Audio Amp, with an army of operational Amps to try.

Not keen on inner ear type devices.

Have been asked to write a review on the DC Power Supply that was supplied with the headphone/pre amp, compared to the 24v battery I normally use, for Burson Supreme Audio.

Finding it difficult to maintain subjective listening requirements as my PSE 144 system is still running in, being tweaked and just had a sub and another Class A amp integrated into it. Too many variables for correct listening and evaluation for a while to come.

Normally listen to speakers, want to dip my toes in the water (head phones), get the review done and get on with building more sub enclosures or utilizing the 5 subs I have for experiment that I am undertaking.

No offence taken, thanks for posting

Regards

post-149865-0-37652700-1451214332_thumb.

Edited by Guest

https://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/sennheiser-hd600-audiophile-reference-hifi-stereo-headphones

if can afford the above, it is THE pick of the sennheissers and I say that having owned pretty much all in the range.

@@125dBmonster

I have the HD800, but trust betty boob. I would go for these in your circumstance, sorry not closed, but man for that price!

Enjoy!

it is THE pick of the sennheissers and I say that having owned pretty much all in the range.

I might go and pick those up!!

@125dBmonster

What is your basis for going closed cans?

Re open vs closed it is hard to make closed 'phones and not have the sound bouncing back towards your ears - closed are almost always deficient when compared to open cans unless you need to block external/extraneous noise.

Nick

Edited by nandrzej

I might go and pick those up!!

@125dBmonster

What is your basis for going closed cans?

Re open vs closed it is hard to make closed 'phones and not have the sound bouncing back towards your ears - closed are almost always deficient when compared to open cans unless you need to block external/extraneous noise.

Nick

Though the closed back would be a good idea, but I am a headphone noob, just trying to get a job done.

Sennheiser HD600 Audiophile Reference Hifi Stereo Headphones

Looks like these would do the job, almost withing my range.

honestly if you can go the $30 odd dollars more than those closed back ones, I would grab the hd600 which is brand new. they are a stunning headphone quite neutral in sound and in similar line to the flagship hd800. the model up in the HD650 cost quite a bit more, but honestly I dont think they are that neutral in sound a bit bass heavy and forward sounding, which a lot like and they are a popular headphone but can be tiring for extended listening.

Though the closed back would be a good idea, but I am a headphone noob, just trying to get a job done.

If external noise is not the reason then I recommend expanding your search to include open cans.

Cheers, Nick

Outstanding advice from ALL  :thumb:

I love this forum  :rolleyes:

Fast tracked to the HD 600 open back "cans" for something like $350 delivered is reasonable.

Neutral sounding is what I am after.

The treated lounge is very quiet already, so open back will be fine.

Happy holidays if you have some, unlike me  :confused:

honestly if you can go the $30 odd dollars more than those closed back ones, I would grab the hd600 which is brand new. they are a stunning headphone quite neutral in sound and in similar line to the flagship hd800. the model up in the HD650 cost quite a bit more, but honestly I dont think they are that neutral in sound a bit bass heavy and forward sounding, which a lot like and they are a popular headphone but can be tiring for extended listening.

Yep I have and love the HD650 and they are not neutral. I agree with the the lush bottom end though would not call them forward sounding but rather laid back and soft on top, the key for me is they do this and manage to maintain great speed. If you want any kind of reference/neutral the HD650 are not recommended.

• Like 1

Keen to get this little Lycan Headphone amp to run.

Could hardly believe it when I opened the box, Burson Supreme Audio sent this with another purchase of a modified Asus Xonar PCIE express sound card, for the price in time to do a review and publishing it on the Forum.

I owe them to at least get the review done as promptly and as accurately as possible, even if I have to buy gear in.

post-149865-0-89472300-1451217198_thumb.

post-149865-0-35264100-1451217222_thumb.

Edited by Guest

The HD600 is a great headphone.

If you find they have an uncomfortable clamping feeling when new, extend the headphones fully and flex the steel section of the headband. Do not flex the plastic section as this can lead to disaster!