What should I ask for these speakers?

As I am moving to a much smaller house I have dispose of a few of my speakers.(Unless I can talk my wife into letting me put a pair in each bedroom!)

So the first cab off the rank will be my AR-9`s.Original version not the LS.All drivers will be re-rolled and cabinets are in excellent condition.

My question is,what do you think would be a fair price to ask for them?I dont want to rip anyone off but also I want to get a fair price.So I can buy some more speakers! 

post-108852-0-34274100-1450422669_thumb.

• Like 2

I guess its up to you to work out if re-surrounding will be worth it.

In my mind, re surround and chuck em out there for 1200 and come down if required.

You wont know what they're worth until they are sold. They look very decent.

Hi professional resurrounding using AR compatible USA mfd  foam surrounds 4 x 11" & 2 x 8 " would cost around $560  The DIY path "time" plus $80 parts may turn out good or very bad decision and subtract from resale value . These were AR's top of range circa 1980 and sold for around $3000 todays  $$   $12-$15,000  by Max Roberts of Wedderspoons Chullora , if you look at the AR model and has AU after the model these were assembled there to escape the 40% Luxury duty tax  on imported assembled speaker boxes  Big Bulky good to be near if a roof caves in, one pair  i refurbished in the late 90's belonged  to the head of PLC College Music Department and were a very appreciated asset of his. Look closely at the tweeters , dome and voice coil held in place spiderless with flexible melted tree sap how organic , nice mid dome , AR never made a 12" speaker , the bass are 11" hi excursion overhung 4 layer voice coils DC resistance around 3.4 Ohms with a lovely pulped thick cone, spiders will need replacing , extra work , cross overs are a rat's  nest located on a piece of glued in brown underlay panel visible when lower drivers and kapok removed, plenty of out of tolerance electrolytic capacitors all bloody hot melted and need the skills of a gynecologist  to access , pissy  140076 10 strand wire looms cable will be showing signs of corrosion , replacement cable upgrade do-able , oh better add another 6- 8 hours plus parts and dont forget to replace all the speaker terminal crimps that have lost their tension , and inclusion of 800uFD electrolytics inline on the input , these look like skinned baked bean cans in the bottom area were state of the 70's DC blocking technology , amps of that era weren't  alway happy looking a a less than efficient 4 Ohm load. The 4  Grills and some baffle pegs will probably need new acoustic fabric add 2-3 hours , finally up and testing oh that mid could have an intermittent tinsel oh aah one tweeter is "soft" maybe the 3 position attenuator ceramic resistors have corroded wire exits or just cracked due to that 90,' party with the loudness button in play .

AR was my most successful silent partner , never flogged the stuff but what joy when all them rotted surround came into play after about 15 years, dirty. sharp basket cuts guey glues oxide dust .Wedderspoon was selling only new replacement drivers for a whopping margin so ressurround played its part with the parts sourced from Waldom in Chicago another little snippet , all AR early speakers were made by CTS Chicago Telephone Service wasnt quite sure about their square ceramic magnets Tonegen Japan later took over causing a large decline in AR sales as the Asian demand then tanked .  Thankfully i am retired.

• Like 1

Unfortunately also, your market price will be limited by freight costs as well considering your location and the size of these. Recently there was a pair of the (lesser) AR90 for sale locally at an asking price of 1500. No idea what the price was based on or if they sold though

Thanks guys for all your comments particularly Servasol.The speakers were fine last time I played them.But I will reroll them.I have been repairing speakers up here for 35 years so no problem there.I have had an offer from a local for $1K.Will probably take it.Its more about an emotional attachment to the bloody things.I sold a lot of AR's for Max over the years.I sold another pair to a mate of mine yrs ago and always regretted it.So was very happy when I found another pair.From the UK.BUT I have original Quads,NS-1000,KEF 105.2,Acoustats and a few others so I have no choice but to get rid of a few. Or more than a few. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...