Lowther "Alfredo" starts with CNC'd Birch Ply

Guest atilsley

Guest atilsley

Looking forward to starting this exciting new project, modernising the Alfredo design. (Alf Lepp (RIP) was the designer, and the plans are in the public domain.)

The unit is approx 1150mm tall x 580mm deep.

It should be weighty given the solid sections of CNC'd ply.

Cues taken from recent Tang Band project with exposed ply....plus my C-Horn.

I'll also be including a new Lowther baffle 'ring' which is machined in MDF, which was tricky to create as Lowther uses an off-circle shape.

Driver of choice, PM7A (Alnico).

Andrew

post-103876-0-98799700-1450057989_thumb.

ALFREDO.pdf

Alfredo Speaker Drawing CAD.pdf

post-103876-0-65911000-1450058177_thumb.

round lowther frame.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest atilsley

Yesterday, I had the Birch Ply cnc'd...and collected them today...very cool.

Can't wait to I start gluing.....

post-103876-0-40845100-1451273555_thumb.

post-103876-0-28373600-1451273617_thumb.

Edited by atilsley

Guest palexsia

Very nice project , I've the original Alfredo built by The late Alf lepp himself . So many time i almost put up for sale but some how still in my listen room kind of speaker for people who love jazz voice at night .

Guest atilsley

Very nice project , I've the original Alfredo built by The late Alf lepp himself . So many time i almost put up for sale but some how still in my listen room kind of speaker for people who love jazz voice at night .

Very good to hear....keep it...a classic. What driver?

Guest atilsley

Far out.

Every time I look here your building another new horn.

Don't you have a girlfriend or something else to do with your time ? :D

PS. I dont even want to imagine the cost of all those sheets let alone the cnc costs..

Happily married, senior exec for a large Sydney charity. Costs are proportionate to what you get, like a nice sports car....plus most of my designs are be-spoke custom builds.

Guest palexsia

Very good to hear....keep it...a classic. What driver?

When i have this speaker both driver are Lowther pm6a silver peech . Lovely sound match very well with 300b tube amp which i used very fast open sound mid range is so sweet bass is fast & tight but not very low bass like my red tannoy autograph . For lowther fan this is the best tractric horn speaker better than td1 i had before . I like the way your cnc work with the curve , sound evenly distribute will be excellent project . Keep up with your good work Andrew by the way i love your c horn , may be one day .....

Guest atilsley

When i have this speaker both driver are Lowther pm6a silver peech . Lovely sound match very well with 300b tube amp which i used very fast open sound mid range is so sweet bass is fast & tight but not very low bass like my red tannoy autograph . For lowther fan this is the best tractric horn speaker better than td1 i had before . I like the way your cnc work with the curve , sound evenly distribute will be excellent project . Keep up with your good work Andrew by the way i love your c horn , may be one day .....

thanks.

Hard to beat Tannoy for bass...I've built numerous GRF horns, including the Corner Horn, but scared off with the Autograph.

Guest atilsley

Nice design again Andrew.......curves always look good.

Are you going leave it natural or paint/veneer?

paul, these will natural with a Teak tinted Bees Wax satin finish.

Guest atilsley

Second one glued today.

Note the Lowther CNC'd baffle ring, which will be gloss black to offset the ply colour.

These critters are very heavy, and the 'knock test' is excellent.

post-103876-0-07080500-1451361552_thumb.

post-103876-0-19688000-1451361567_thumb.

post-103876-0-28201600-1451361578_thumb.