DIY horn speakers

ENIGMA

I am building them using Azura horns after weighing up every other option.

The rings of mdf are for the drivers to be ousted in, similar to the above design, but different way of getting a solid Tube on the end of the Azura horn.

I am looking for a new house currently and will look further into sub 100hz when the horns are in their final location. Thinking IB, Tapped horn or maybe a LeCleach horn stand.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Bit of progress on the horns, they are now all red!

I just need to paint the cylinders in a black textured finish and build the frame that holds them togerther.

Here are current pictures...

post-106944-0-10960700-1336365592_thumb.

post-106944-0-97312400-1336365612_thumb.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Bit of progress on the horns, they are now all red!

I just need to paint the cylinders in a black textured finish and build the frame that holds them togerther.

Here are current pictures...

Looking good.

How long till you are finished?

Hi guys, thanks.

I might have them assemled this weekend, the weather is crap for any hope of painting the black or the stand but i need to put them in th frame as now it is awkward to move them around without scratching them.

And then the're is the K horns to build.

I think the ceiling of Sistine Chapel was painted in less time than these.

• 2 weeks later...

How are the looking E? Any progress?

Getting there, i built the stands today and about 3/4 of the way. Bit of prep & paint tomorrow - all goes well when dry i'll assemble them and take photos.

Looking forward to seeing the stand as mine is a similar design. It will be interesting to see someone else's mounting of them.

No photos yet - paint was too wet to assemble.

The stand is looking reasonably good, i also have the mid horns fully painted - red horn with black tube. They look fantastic :thumb: .The midbass horns are about to have their tubes painted black :party .

I have to paint one of the midbass horns in red again, i wasn't too happy with the first result :confused: , blocked it back painted it again - this time it was really good, took it outside to air dry and a gust of wind blew big specs of dust over it :(. I tried to fix it and completley stuffed it :mad: :mad: :mad: f%@#*&@! .

So back to blocking it back and painting it red again.

I love painting when you get a good result.

These horns, being so big, they take a bit of focus to get right and then you have to hope there are no runs of patchy areas. you need an open area, the amount of overspray floating around and settleing needs to be in a confined space and the fumes - my goodness i'm so glad i use a respirator.

And then you are at the mercy of something happening like the wind. I could not believe it, the wind was calm before hand and it was like it did it on purpose.

This is my horns, don't forget i have two more for someone else waiting in the corner for a coat of paint!

Busy weekend;

I have an Uno Trio that is a bit of a Duo without its tweeter (if that makes sense). I have to work a bit more on setting up the mid horn and making it more solidly secure. Once this is done i start assembling the other one after i repaint its midbass horn.

Cheers.

post-106944-0-23311200-1338122991_thumb.post-106944-0-45704500-1338123032_thumb.post-106944-0-10155900-1338123088_thumb.post-106944-0-09949500-1338123125_thumb.

• Like 2

Great work Enigma, It looks very nice. Just one question, how did you get the back part of the horn so smooth ?. Cheers, Michael.

Thanks, the answer is allot of sanding/filling/sanding/filling/sanding/hifill/sanding/hifill/sanding.............

My pair (big horns) are litle bit more rippley around the back edges than the other pair i have also built. Those came out heaps flatter around the edje because i spent more time on them and they were for my mate which meant that i had to do a better job!

When i did mine, i did them in half the time and i wasn't too fussy about it having some 'ripples' arone the rear edge. the main surface on the back is fine and the join between horn and cylinder came out really nice.

The face of the horn was already perfect, the hard part was painting them.

Edited by ENIGMA