Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Shane Warne's charity

He starts a charity for good intentions and with the high profile figure that he is, you wouldn't expect this to happen, but when the guy is also a high roller in the gambling scene, I often wonder where the money really goes. It's obvious that looking at this and Victoria Consumer Affairs are investigating as only $0.16 of every dollar is going to the real cause. The article speaks for itself! You decide....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337449/Allegations-emerge-Shane-Warne-Foundation-donated-just-16-dollar-raised-sick-children-pays-poker-tournaments-former-cricketer-s-parents-rent.html

Guest Sime

I didn't read the article, but Imo and one that may be knocked, celeb charities are more about the celebrity than being charitable.

I didn't read the article, but Imo and one that may be knocked, celeb charities are more about the celebrity than being charitable.

Never though of it that way, but some charitable organisations only 40% goes to the real cause, the rest is adminsistration that includes advertisements.

Guest Sime

"If" the article is true (I've read it now) it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

It's just an example of what I've thought about the majority of celeb worship or "role models" these people the world looks up to, for reasons that baffle me, are no better, and sometimes worse, than the average bloke on the street.

The guy can throw a ball. That's all he can do.

The real crime is hero worship. It makes ordinary people above everyone else, and that's the start of a dark road.

Edited by Sime

Am very dissallusioned by charities.

You read about the charity that the tax department disallowed because they bought a Bentley and what not it was all basically a tax dodge. I know another that uses it to just claim travel expenses ! Again to scam money off the tax payer.

Big charities get upto all sorts too !

Red Cross can you believe it the Red Cross, wife speaks to them on the phone, when they ring, makes a donation via bank account...next we get a letter telling us Thankyou for signing upto a monthly direct debit ???? we never signed no direct debit authorisation ????? And the we get a letter saying here's a raffle book please send us the money it raises...then another letter saying where is the money ???? Wtf ?

Working from home it's scary the number of calls from charities...most never ever heard off all wanting your money. If I spent all day answering the phone to these I wouldn't get any work done ! Have told them all when they ring that we don't do charity on the phone to take us off their database and not ring again. They are all call centres and no doubt they get a cut on charity money raised or something because I can't believe the push of these people quite frankly

We do our charity in other ways now. In kind and in person. Donations of clothes and goods etc and with our own personal time help and effort. There are plenty of ways of providing charity that is not cash based closer to home and closer to the heart than the account books of their accountants and tax consultants !

Never though of it that way, but some charitable organisations only 40% goes to the real cause, the rest is adminsistration that includes advertisements.

The companies do need people to run them, and in Aust one has to pay award remunerations etc.

Having said that, I don't donate as much as I used to, when promotional mobs want you to pay $x so you can go into a draw to win $$- wtf?? Haha. And there is a charity for every bloody thing now. It's a funny human condition that makes us want to give money to make everything OK.

Someones loved one gets killed etc and the community bands together and gives them money.

Heres a good one that no one knows much about, and in our own backyard, shock horror.-

https://www.aussiehelpers.org.au/

You read about the charity that the tax department disallowed because they bought a Bentley and what not it was all basically a tax dodge. I know another that uses it to just claim travel expenses ! Again to scam money off the tax payer.

Red Cross can you believe it the Red Cross, wife speaks to them on the phone, when they ring, makes a donation via bank account...next we get a letter telling us Thankyou for signing upto a monthly direct debit ???? we never signed no direct debit authorisation ????? And the we get a letter saying here's a raffle book please send us the money it raises...then another letter saying where is the money ???? Wtf ?

Working from home it's scary the number of calls from charities...most never ever heard off all wanting your money. If I spent all day answering the phone to these I wouldn't get any work done ! Have told them all when they ring that we don't do charity on the phone to take us off their database and not ring again. They are all call centres and no doubt they get a cut on charity money raised or something because I can't believe the push of these people quite frankly

We do our charity in other ways now. In kind and in person. Donations of clothes and goods etc and with our own personal time help and effort. There are plenty of ways of providing charity that is not cash based closer to home and closer to the heart than the account books of their accountants and tax consultants !

+1 @Bettyboop

Best post I have seen for a while, unrelated to stereo.

Good work

Yeah,

Just about every organisation knocks on your door, and rattles phone for donations. When my wife became a nurse she was donating left right and centre at work, at on stage she donated almost $300 in one week just to be nice, she now carries and empty wallet to work!

Yesterday I did a days work filling in with an old boss and he was telling me about one of his current workers who wanted to work through an abn. While this is not that interesting what is curious is curious is apparently his business is setup as a charity???

While admin costs and the like are understandable the ends should benefit those in need more than that of the charity.

It becomes even more difficult when the cause happens to be in troubled countries where corruption is rife, just how much money actually gets to those in need there is very questionable.

I made the mistake of donating to one particular large charity and made it clear that I did not want to receive further correspondence from them yet I still get flooded with email and regular mail from them even after going through the unsubscribing process. They won't be getting any more money from me.

That all said hopefully there are charities out there who are trying to make a difference and are doing the right thing. I would quite happily give to these.

Guest Sime

Ive been to a few stores now that do "point of sale" charity badgering.

I went to pet barn to buy some dog food, and at the register "that'll be $14.50, would you also like to donate to such n such"

Bad, bad form, it's pressure donating, making people not to want to look like an ass by saying no. They get you right when you have cash in hand.

I said no and told them to not ask again. Charity is voluntary, not forced.

Edited by Sime

It becomes even more difficult when the cause happens to be in troubled countries where corruption is rife, just how much money actually gets to those in need there is very questionable.

Yes, have seen pics of starving African kids on the telly now for as long as I can remember.

Ive been to a few stores now that do "point of sale" charity badgering.

I went to pet barn to buy some dog food, and at the register "that'll be $14.50, would you also like to donate to such n such"

Bad, bad form, it's pressure donating, making people not to want to look like an ass by saying no. They get you right when you have cash in hand.

I said no and told them to not ask again. Charity is voluntary, not forced.

I had one the other day by phone, and when I said no, I get the forced guilt greedy comment, I politely told them not to call again!

Yep, agree with the sentiments so far.  I've been donating to my chosen charity for 20 years now by way of a fortnightly direct debit from my pay, but outside of that I avoid others.

The worst case against charities that I've seen is slightly touched on by @@Addicted to music in post #8 - being that they do a lot of work in hospitals -

A close friend of the family's mother was sick and dying in an unnamed hospital.  Unknown to the family a very well known, highly publicized hospital that holds an annual fund raiser in Victoria visited her on her death bed - and "convinced" her to sign over her estate to their charity.  When the will became known, post-death, obviously the family was furious.  They approached the hospital, who told them they would have to fight it in court!  Well, the four brothers did fight it, and won...but wow, what poor form...

Not to downplay this, but it is a daily mail article and it is 'alleged'. The article mentions that the foundation is releasing its financials but no actual financials are reported. Until the full figures are released, I'm just as sceptical of the daily mail as I am of charities.

I'm not really across this stuff, so can anyone suggest what might be a realistic cost per dollar for a similar charity organisation to operate.

Yep, agree with the sentiments so far.  I've been donating to my chosen charity for 20 years now by way of a fortnightly direct debit from my pay, but outside of that I avoid others.

The worst case against charities that I've seen is slightly touched on by @@Addicted to music in post #8 - being that they do a lot of work in hospitals -

A close friend of the family's mother was sick and dying in an unnamed hospital.  Unknown to the family a very well known, highly publicized hospital that holds an annual fund raiser in Victoria visited her on her death bed - and "convinced" her to sign over her estate to their charity.  When the will became known, post-death, obviously the family was furious.  They approached the hospital, who told them they would have to fight it in court!  Well, the four brothers did fight it, and won...but wow, what poor form...

Thats unreal,  glad the brothers won, what a story, thanks for sharing.

I never donate to door knockers or telephone callers but I do sometimes directly donate to a charity of my choosing.

The large mobs like the Salvo's and Red Cross acknowledge that when they use professional fund raising  companies, that they receive a smaller percentage of the donation. For example if you donate over the phone they may only receive $10 of the $40 you donate but that is $10 that they would not have received. They are still $10 in front. I am not justifying that at all but that is their stance

We often donate when there are major disasters in some unfortunate part of the world. Plus Mrs Legs11 has a soft spot for animal welfare so more goes there than I am probably aware of. Perhaps akin to sneaking in a new component to the system :)

But I agree there appear to be plenty of dodgy operators and I'm sure there are good ones too.  Door knockers get nuttin' as do ringers. That's invasive and they can pisss off.

Edited by legselevens

Guest Sime

Animal charity's FTW. I've never given to any human cause, only animal ( but not forced at the counter)

Edited by Sime

We often donate when there are major disasters in some unfortunate part of the world. Plus Mrs Legs11 has a soft spot for animal welfare so more goes there than I am probably aware of. Perhaps akin to sneaking in a new component to the system :)

But I agree there appear to be plenty of dodgy operators and I'm sure there are good ones too.  Door knockers get nuttin' as do ringers. That's invasive and they can pisss off.

They all get a cut so no go for me also.

I never give to people with collection buckets at road intersections either. There is just no way that I can be sure that the proceeds do not go straight into their pockets. It is impossible to check their bona fides in that scenario

Guest Sime

I don't know where I heard this story from, but it's another strike against the Red Cross

It was either WW1 or 2, Red Cross were involved with receiving and distributing care packages for soldiers sent by their families. One family had sent In a package, some cigarettes, but they had put a message inside for the soldier. The soldier never received this package but what had happened is the Red Cross also ran stores of sorts where soldiers could buy supplies ( with what money they had on them I don't know) and a friend of said soldier had bought a packet of cigarettes and discovered the note inside.

So yeah, the Red Cross where selling off products inside packages they could profit from.

Edited by Sime

Warnie gave an interview today denying all claims made against his charity.

He said he had absolutely nothing to hide and asserted that 3.5 million dollars has been given to charities over the last 11 years.

I wonder whether that will stand up to scrutiny? :unsure:

Warnie gave an interview today denying all claims made against his charity.

He said he had absolutely nothing to hide and asserted that 3.5 million dollars has been given to charities over the last 11 years.

I wonder whether that will stand up to scrutiny? :unsure:

It could be true they donated 3.5 million.

If the article is also true, then they raised something like 22 million. :)

Plus warnie's brother pocketed over 2 million in those 11 years for his hard work for the charity. :unsure:

Edited by rocky500

It could be true they donated 3.5 million.

If the article is also true, then they raised something like 22 million. :)

Plus warnie's brother pocketed over 2 million in those 11 years for his hard work for the charity. :unsure:

And it seems that the charity HQ was owned by Warnie's parents which they leased out to the charity.

A novel and innovative version of "Vertical Integration"? :rolleyes:

And it seems that the charity HQ was owned by Warnie's parents which they leased out to the charity.

A novel and innovative version of "Vertical Integration"? :rolleyes:

Well they do say Charity starts at home.  The Warnes are making sure of it. :D

He also said the percentage of donations that have been passed on is just over 50%, and also that he has it in writing from Consumer Affairs that the Shane Warne Foundation isn't under investigation...

Someone's going to have egg on their face...