Sign in to follow this  
jakeyb77

Vintage Yamaha A-2000

New acquisition!

Yamaha A-2000

Looks awesome walnut trim OFC wiring. Gold terminals and copper chassis.

Wish I knew how many were made! Looking forward to seeing how it sounds with the NS-1000's.

post-152240-0-62043700-1448669743_thumb.

post-152240-0-75047900-1448669756_thumb.

post-152240-0-21443700-1448669801_thumb.

post-152240-0-13991000-1448669917_thumb.

Edited by JakeyB

WOW. Looks amazing.

What does the "richness" switch do?

WOW. Looks amazing.

When I learn how to read the Japanese manual lol I'll let you know.

But seriously when I get the new step down and fire it up I'll put an SQ report up

The fact it won't take bananas is not fun!

WOW. Looks amazing.

Found it... The ritchness switch was designed for NS-2000 and NS-1000. Changes the sound to be tailored for these speakers. Recommended in the manual as pos 1 for 2000's and pos 2 for 1000's. Still translating as the manual is only in Japanese.

Is it "richness" as opposed to "harshness"?

NS-1000s can be a little "harsh" at times  :unsure:

I guess that's why so many people throw them out and they are for sale everywhere..

2c92af84a40c07e39b5213d533f15de6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very stylish! Is it early/mid 80s?

I found a unicorn! Got that same grin on my face you must have had. Now just waiting on the step down so I can hear it.....

I found a unicorn! Got that same grin on my face you must have had. Now just waiting on the step down so I can hear it.....

Welcome to put it through it's paces at evil Springs when sorted. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New acquisition!

Yamaha A-2000

Looks awesome. Internals like a B-2. But walnut trim OFC wiring. Gold terminals and copper chassis.

Wish I knew how many were made! Looking forward to seeing how it sounds with the NS-1000's.

From what I can decifer from the web it's got B-2x internals with. C-2x pre amp built in.

Make sure you get your Yamaha amp references correct. This amplifier is nothing like a B-2. The B-2 is a stereo power amplifier made in 1977/78 and is one of only three "v-fet" amplifiers made by Yamaha. The others being the amazing B-1 and the (Japan only) B-3. All power amps.

This integrated amplifier, the A-2000 came along some 10 years after the B-2, around 1987, long after the demise of the vertical power fet. Another era altogether. Your reference to the B-2x is more accurate in terms of era. Yamaha also made another version of this amp, the A-2000a. I'm unsure of the technical differences if any in the two models, there are some minor cosmetic changes I see in the "a" designation.

I doubt the amplifier is an exact integration of a B-2x and a C-2x. Yes, the amps were made in the same period and they do share the similar circuit with Yamaha's then ZDR - zero distortion rule design. The internal layout of the power amps is similar. The B-2x having more power at 170w. Should sound similar. 

The A-2000/a are very nice amplifiers. From what I can gather I think they were Japan only releases, all models being 100VAC. They are a very well made, serious integrated made by Yamaha back in the day, and in many ways are representative of the mid-late 80's high-end stuff coming out of Japan.

It is also interesting to note the very different design of the B-2x and C-2x, they share nothing with this amplifier in looks.

A cosmetic design issue with this amplifier are the input selector buttons, and the four buttons across the top of the face. These buttons are missing on many many examples of the A-2000/a and other "A" models. Over time they just fell off from use and were lost. You have done well to get one with all of these in place.

A nice one by Yamaha and still on my get list. 

Look forward to hearing your impressions on sound. 

Make sure you get your Yamaha amp references correct. This amplifier is nothing like a B-2. The B-2 is a stereo power amplifier made in 1977/78 and is one of only three "v-fet" amplifiers made by Yamaha. The others being the amazing B-1 and the (Japan only) B-3. All power amps.

This integrated amplifier, the A-2000 came along some 10 years after the B-2, around 1987, long after the demise of the vertical power fet. Another era altogether. Your reference to the B-2x is more accurate in terms of era. Yamaha also made another version of this amp, the A-2000a. I'm unsure of the technical differences if any in the two models, there are some minor cosmetic changes I see in the "a" designation.

I doubt the amplifier is an exact integration of a B-2x and a C-2x. Yes, the amps were made in the same period and they do share the similar circuit with Yamaha's then ZDR - zero distortion rule design. The internal layout of the power amps is similar. The B-2x having more power at 170w. Should sound similar.

The A-2000/a are very nice amplifiers. From what I can gather I think they were Japan only releases, all models being 100VAC. They are a very well made, serious integrated made by Yamaha back in the day, and in many ways are representative of the mid-late 80's high-end stuff coming out of Japan.

It is also interesting to note the very different design of the B-2x and C-2x, they share nothing with this amplifier in looks.

A cosmetic design issue with this amplifier are the input selector buttons, and the four buttons across the top of the face. These buttons are missing on many many examples of the A-2000/a and other "A" models. Over time they just fell off from use and were lost. You have done well to get one with all of these in place.

A nice one by Yamaha and still on my get list.

Look forward to hearing your impressions on sound.

After finding minimal information other than in Japanese at first my references where from Google photos. Also I am no expert in the various models. I was merely stating what it looked like. And to me it looks damn good haha. Will post what I think after its played a few times. That also may not be accurate but will be fun for me :-)

I love the look of the A-2000/a. They are as I say, classic 80's Japanese style with the integration of the wood panels with the silver face and other elements. A handsome piece, and indeed some makes to this day carry that design into current amps. Well we need only look at the current Yamaha offerings with the timber panels. 

I will get this amp one day, from Japan. I'd like an 'a" version. I'd like to try all the various Yamaha circuits in various pieces. I have the v-fets, and the current quasi-complimentary design. The "ZDR" is another attempted error correction / at a type of Class A, and also the 'HCA" circuit (feed forward type thing) I really want to listen to, you find that in the AX/MX series. If only I could afford an MX-10000! -- And that's only Yamaha ha! -- too many amps, not enough time..

Your listening impressions will be accurate, because they are your ears.

Enjoy the amp, and certainly think about a rebuild on this one. Did you pick the amp up from the seller? you have not fired it up- I presume it was sold as working - no issues.

I love the look of the A-2000/a. They are as I say, classic 80's Japanese style with the integration of the wood panels with the silver face and other elements. A handsome piece, and indeed some makes to this day carry that design into current amps. Well we need only look at the current Yamaha offerings with the timber panels. 

I will get this amp one day, from Japan. I'd like an 'a" version. I'd like to try all the various Yamaha circuits in various pieces. I have the v-fets, and the current quasi-complimentary design. The "ZDR" is another attempted error correction / at a type of Class A, and also the 'HCA" circuit (feed forward type thing) I really want to listen to, you find that in the AX/MX series. If only I could afford an MX-10000! -- And that's only Yamaha ha! -- too many amps, not enough time..

Your listening impressions will be accurate, because they are your ears.

Enjoy the amp, and certainly think about a rebuild on this one. Did you pick the amp up from the seller? you have not fired it up- I presume it was sold as working - no issues.

Hi Fez... I just chanced upon it on Gumtree. Was a bit sceptical but the guy turned out to be really nice and was just selling the remnants from his recently passed Grandfather's garage. It came with a 115V Step down and it all lights up etc but I didn't want to run it over voltage. I was fairly confident by the appearance that it looked after. At $500 I was happy with the punt. I've had an A-720 and liked that sound so went off that. Wasn't till I got home that I did some more research. I know I only got the amp cause another buyer didn't show on time (phew). He wanted $600 and I offered the $500 cash and the seller was happy. I love the MX-800 and the M-45 runs the NS-70T ok. Last night I put gold posts on the NS-1000m's and some Van Den Hul 122 and was amazed at the difference. I'm going to place the A-2000 with a nice TT (yet to purchase) and a pair of NS-1000m's when they come back as a bedroom system as I have some extra room in there. Over the top but fun all the same. Step down should come today so Sat may be time to fire it up. MX10000 would be a dream... although I would love the full stack of Centennial gear. Cheers Jake