Dusty old Naim Gear Options for a friend

Thanks Ian. I think you are spot on. The naim folk are very particular and rightfully so with old gear. I have all the paperwork but it has not been serviced recently.  Maybe the teddy on sna and i know len wallis would be eager to trade in the naim based on past conversations. Only problem is that I would have to find something of value there.....

I am in the market for speakers but their range at the moment is either very expensive or not to my liking.

Pete

Hi Ian, I've registered on PFM but can't find the topic. What was it titled?

You will find the thread in the DIY section. It is called

"reducing the gain an a Nac32.5" sorry i can't post a link i use Tapatalk on my mobile.

Let me know if you can't find it and i will go on my lap top and try and post the url.

Cheers Ian.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. I think you are spot on. The naim folk are very particular and rightfully so with old gear. I have all the paperwork but it has not been serviced recently. Maybe the teddy on sna and i know len wallis would be eager to trade in the naim based on past conversations. Only problem is that I would have to find something of value there.....

I am in the market for speakers but their range at the moment is either very expensive or not to my liking.

Pete

Naim can pretty much be seen as free hi-fi as it holds its value well. I would say you would get more here than trading it in with LW. A ball park figure would be about $500 for the 72 without phono boards and add another $80 for them and about $650 for the Nap140.

The funny thing is an authorised service on the Nap could cost as much as the amp but can never be recouped at the resale value.

I had my hi cap done by a friend who knows what he is doing and cost $200 for Kendeil caps and matched tants it will be good for 10 years. The Nap160 was bias checked and caps changed for next to nothing and to be fair i couldn't hear any difference.

The biggest changes for me were the teddycap swapped for the hi-cap and the installation of the 821a boards it all just sounded right.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Naim can pretty much be seen as free hi-fi as it holds its value well. I would say you would get more here than trading it in with LW. A ball park figure would be about $500 for the 72 without phono boards and add another $80 for them and about $650 for the Nap140.

The funny thing is an authorised service on the Nap could cost as much as the amp but can never be recouped at the resale value.

I had my hi cap done by a friend who knows what he is doing and cost $200 for Kendeil caps and matched tants it will be good for 10 years. The Nap160 was bias checked and caps changed for next to nothing and to be fair i couldn't hear any difference.

The biggest changes for me were the teddycap swapped for the hi-cap and the installation of the 821a boards it all just sounded right.

Ian.

Thanks again. Love your honesty abut not always noticing a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I suppose to clarify, i heard a big difference when i put a hi cap on my 32.5 it opened things up alot and gave me more of that Naim sound. The Teddycap cap for me was better than the hicap even when the hicap was serviced. In my case or ears heard that the units were working and sounding as good before the service as after but i was looking for something and was told to start off with a service.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Ian. Renovation budget blow-out plus other tensions last week meant I had to think about everything.  Luckily since then, things have eased a bit plus the Naim good looks saved it from the chopping block. 

Thanks for your concern:-) 

• Like 1

I think that is a wise decision. For its value in $ and what that translates into renovation $ seems out of wack for the musical enjoyment value. I am glad you are getting to keep them, they look very, very cool.