Suggestions for best T.V's under $3000

Guest jakeyb77

Always been a TV snob.  Waited a year and a half to judge my Dad's Hisense purchase which I bagged him about.  His is going strong.  Bought the Hisense 58 inch Smart 4K TV about a month ago and had no issues at all.  UI is good and picture is good.  I do get some ghosting on really fast images but overall I only notice when I'm getting picky.  Also has 3 year warranty and I paid $1000 steal.

Guest jakeyb77

i was told that the hisense is a rebagged LG panel

@@yardley I have no idea.  But for $1000 and a 3 year warranty it was worth the punt.  I liked the thin borders it had like Samsung etc. and the features were all there.  I watch movies on a HD projector so for normal viewing it suits me fine.  And if it breaks after 3 years for that price I don't care. :)

Also the blacks are really good on this TV. 

Some good reading here:

http://www.cnet.com/au/topics/tvs/buying-guide/

Edited by jakeyb77

3 years warranty is good.im not sure what other brands have 3 years warranty...maybe TCL

Only TCL and HiSense say it, but they all do. You're protected by law. So if you read the terms of the warranty it says something like 'we provide 12months warranty, above and beyond what you're entitled to beyond law'. But most people dont realise and they buy extended warranties, that usually lock them into something that doesnt provide as much cover as consumer law.

on Whirlpool a guy had his panasonic TV repaired after 8 years. Samsung also confirmed this with me via twitter. if in any doubt ask the manufacturer via twitter.

Guest jakeyb77

Only TCL and HiSense say it, but they all do. You're protected by law. So if you read the terms of the warranty it says something like 'we provide 12months warranty, above and beyond what you're entitled to beyond law'. But most people dont realise and they buy extended warranties, that usually lock them into something that doesnt provide as much cover as consumer law.

on Whirlpool a guy had his panasonic TV repaired after 8 years. Samsung also confirmed this with me via twitter. if in any doubt ask the manufacturer via twitter.

Never purchased an extended warranty ever as they are a scam. But warranty in general can be a nightmare. I used to have Sony all over my house. Bought a Sony stereo once and had in in my house for 2 months out of 14 and they still wouldn't give me another model... and I offered to pay the price difference! I think the repair can be pushed if it is deemed that the product you purchased should be expected to outlast the given warranty. Then you may be at Square one of having the bloody thing in for repair for however long and you're watching your kid's TV. You might buy a Hisense that lasts 10 years or 2 months but same can be said for other brands.

i've never had problems with extended warranties. one was harvey norman they gave us a new plasma when our one out of original warranty clapped out and couldnt be fixed. new one was bigger better specd and nearly 10 years later still going at inlaws. had a camera with extended warranty camera back died was unusable ...camera action fixed it no issue. its still working ...though we never use its too old nearly 15 years old !

now days theres statutory warranty ...though for that you will usually have to go via consumer affairs/fair trading. it an go on for months...when extended warranty for some will provide that little confidence....hard to put value on that for some.

its something for which every one will and can make their own value judgements ...

• Like 1

Extended warranties are a rip-off.  However, I have bought them on a couple of items and always consider the option despite thinking they shouldn't be necessary.

As BettyB said, the consumer legislation is quite nebulous.  How long is a $10k+ TV expected to last?  If it dies just past 3 years and is irreparable, do you have a claim?  Are you prepared to go to court to find out?

I once emailed LG to ask about the expected life of their top of the line set at that time.  If they got back to me saying it should last 5 years, I would've bought it as I'd regard that as a 5 year warranty under Australian Consumer legislation.  Unfortunately, as expected, they dodged the issue.

IMO, a 12 month warranty on an expensive TV is ludicrous.  The consumer legislation definitely extends that but no-one knows how long that extension is.  The only way to be sure you are covered for, say, 5 years is to purchase one of those rip-off extended warranties.

It really make me hesitate to replace our trusty 10yo Pioneer plasma, that came with a 5 year warranty as part of the package.

Progress?

Edit Just to clarify, statistics clearly show that extended warranties are a poor investment for most.  However, for the people that experience failure towards the end of the extended warranty, when the consumer legislation is not likely to be helpful, they turn out to be a great investment.  It all depends on your luck and your affinity for gambling.  If you need peace-of -mind re expensive repairs for a defined period, they do at least offer something you can't get otherwise.  If you prefer to play the odds and are happy with a little bit of risk, they are not for you. 

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

The manufacturers count on you being deterred by them pushing back. There's protection in place to prevent them continuously repairing or delaying repair. If they have your set for 6months I would be asking how you would let them get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...