Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

YBA Heritage CD100/A100 combo

Well done, Cafad. As a YBA owner I'm glad to see they are getting some well deserved attention.

Very well deserved, it's just unfortunate that the brand doesn't have much of a name for itself in Oz (I know I had never heard of them prior to discovering the sale units at A1 Futureshop).  

Which series gear do you have @@TomAus?

Very well deserved, it's just unfortunate that the brand doesn't have much of a name for itself in Oz (I know I had never heard of them prior to discovering the sale units at A1 Futureshop).  

Which series gear do you have @@TomAus?

YBA has unfortunately not been marketed well in Oz, as you say. I have had a Passion CD 200 for several years and recently picked up a CD 400.

Does YBA still have Yves Bernard Andre designing the gear?     As YBA has been owned by and made in China for some time now - except their very top of rage gear ?

Edited by metal beat

Not sure if he still designs everything but he's certainly still associated with the company.  The website claims that a Chinese company bought a significant percentage of YBA, nothing about buying it outright.

YBA history page.

http://www.ybahifi.com/history.html

My impression is that he is less hands on but still oversees the development of new products. They do have an Australian CEO but it seems as if the Australian market is not a priority.

Time for a YBA revival I think.  I spent much of the week before last on call, waiting for the time when I would be called in on night shift and this gave me much time to sit at home and surf the net.  While doing so I found a demo unit Passion IA350 on offer from Audio Heaven at a discount.  It was still pretty expensive so I thought about it long and hard and, eventually, made a call to Craig at Audio Heaven.  The demo unit had already moved on but since I had his ear anyway I made the call to get my hands on a YBA Genesis IA3 (the model series in between the Heritage and the Passion).

And here it is.

post-130663-0-84594200-1457137729_thumb.

Still loving the YBA boxes.

And in action.

post-130663-0-80820600-1457137762_thumb.

Since it is twice the price of the Heritage integrated unit I was expecting it to sound 'better' but I wasn't expecting it to sound this good. Tighter and more expansive (also more detailed!) bass, more expressive mid range and a more musical and extended top end too, this is some good stuff.

I've had the Genesis since Wednesday so it's still running in but I find myself wondering if maybe I should go the whole hog and just pull the pin on a Passion unit, just in case it somehow manages to be that much better again.

My bank account is a bit sickly at the moment but my credit card is bright, shiny and untouched so the Passion is a definite option, and why shouldn't I break out of my mold of only listening to the sub $3K amp market?  I mean really, what was I thinking when I decided to do that?

So..., I'm going to enjoy listening to this YBA Genesis IA3 all through the weekend and then call Craig again on Monday and tell him to I'm upgrading to the Passion IA350 because life is short (and money on a credit card isn't real money anyway, everyone knows it's only pretend!).

Hi Cafad,

Enjoy your reviews mate.

Based on your positive reviews I was considering the YBA DAC. Any exposure on that front?

Neil

Hi Neil, not specifically mate but I can say that both the Wolfson DAC in the Heritage cd100 and the CS 4398 DAC in the Genesis IA3 sound pretty good to me.

The Heritage cd100 also has a coax and usb digital in, so it's basically a dual purpose component, provided you don't need an optical input.

Were you thinking Heritage or Design series?

Hi Cafad,

The Heritage appear to be the only range that had a standalone DAC, and as you said only the cd100 is a dual purpose disc spinner.

The pricing is very attractive on this range as well.

I currently have a Primare CD32 which is a nice player, and was thinking of trading to a multipurpose Oppo BDP105 or keep it and add in a standalone DAC hence the interest.

Cheers

Neil

The Design range has a DAC as well.  Personally I'd probably go for the Heritage but that's just me.

Cafad I have a Genesis CD which was my second YBA player. The Genesis is a nice player, although can be a bit forward in the midrange for some set ups.
If you can afford the Passion, I’d say go on do it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darkstar
      Item: Melody H34 Signature Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $1800
      Item Condition: 9/10
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       This is my very first amplifier into the world of tubes and valves. A lot of time and money was invested in tube rolling to get the right synergy out of the amplifier with the right tubes. Original valves have been replaced with Mullard reissue El34, Mullard 5AR4, Brimar 6SL7 and Ken Rad 6SN7. Over $600 worth of tubes there alone. Amplifier is in excellent condition for its age and presents itself beautifully in its deep piano black chassis. Will come with its original double boxes and manuals. Inspection and sound will not disappoint.

Extract from the internet

MELODY H34s ASTRO BLACK Favorite tube of many music lovers is the EL34 which excels at tone. The tonality of the EL34 makes it also popular with musicians using stringed instruments, especially guitars. The most popular amplifier in the Melody range and winner of many awards the Melody H34 Signature offers fantastic sound quality at a price that seems unbelievable. With a full size chassis in piano black finish and retro styling it is a statement product in quality and style. The 25mm thick front panel contains three large solid aluminum knobs which control power on/off, volume and four RCA inputs. The volume knob controls a stepped resistor array with 24 positions. This ensures precise channel matching and maximum sound fidelity. The power tubes are four EL34 which deliver 40 watts of effortless power. This allows it to drive a wide range of loudspeakers with ease. The input and driver tubes are 6SN7/6SL7 and the amplifier has full tube rectification provided by the 5AR4 tubes. All the internal wiring is done by hand point to point with no circuit boards at all. This is the traditional way to build a long lasting amplifier with maximum sound qualities. It permits easy servicing and parts replacement or upgrading which modern solid state circuits with surface mount devices to not allow. At the rear are three oversized and shielded transformers with a power transformer in the centre and an output transformer either side for the left and right channels. Melody’s know how has delivered an amplifier that is powerful, delicate and with a depth of tone that makes it very beguiling. This amplifier can be muscular at one minute yet delicate the next, extracting minute details from the music. The sound stage is wide and deep and the bass is extremely realistic. The bass however is not dry or truncated, like many transistor amplifiers. It delivers information in the bass registers with plenty of feeling. The H34 Signature is an amplifier that music lovers will enjoy, not only for its sound but for the unbeatable value it offers.

Power Output: 2 x 45W  
      Tubes: EL34 x 4, 6SN7 x 2, 6SL7 x 2, 5AR4 x 2  
      Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz  
      Input Impedance: 250 kOhms  
      Output Impedance: 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms  
      Input Sensitivity: 480mV  
      Signal to noise: 90dB  
      Harmonic Distortion: 1%  
      Dimensions: 430 W x 215 H x 410 D mm  
      Weight: 24 kg

• By LyallJ
      Item: Luxman 505u Integrated Amp
      Price: 3000
      Item Condition: Excellent, mint condition
      Reason for selling: Purchased a Devialet 220
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only.
      Extra Info:
      Two things to note:
      The remote is dodgy with its Volume control; over the years I have either changed volume manually or use a DAC/preamp.
      I imported the 505u direct from Japan so it was assembled for the Japanese market and set to 100volt mains electricity. Therefore it comes with a Kashimura TI-20 step-up transformer (photos attached). There has never been any issue playing it here in Adelaide.
      The Luxman has been in daily use since July 2010. It has always worked well and given me great listening pleasure.

I have attached a User Manual and Brochure. 
      The 505u has a phono input with both MM & MC selections.
      The amp can be used as a pre-amp only or power amp only.

The 505u weighs 21kg. The transformer weighs 4.5kg and its dimensions are 170x135x100mm.
      I will post both items if there is no buyer in Adelaide for pickup - postage costs would have to be checked and agreed to. 
      I still have the original box available for transportation.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

Luxman L-505u manual.pdf Luxman L-505u Brochure.pdf
    • By olegau
      Item: Luxman L-509U Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $5900
      Item Condition: as new
      Reason for selling: need money  
      Extra Info:
      The highest-class model of LUXMAN  Integrated Amplifier.

I am one only owner. Bought new for $8000 in 2012
      The amp has never been repaired, works very well. No issues, can give a week warranty.
      The unit has never been loud more then 9am because I live in a flat and I like my neighbors.

Continuous effective output: 120W + 120W -8ohm   240W + 240W  4 ohm
      reproduction frequency: PHONO: 20Hz ~ 20,000Hz  0.5dB) LINE: 20Hz ~ 100kHz (+ 0, -3.0dB) 
      SN ratio: PHONO (MM): 91dB or more PHONO (MC): 75dB or more LINE: 107dB or more 

Dimension: W 467 x H 179 x D 435 mm
      Weight:  28 kg

Preferably Pickup

Also look  another my amp Sansui AU-a607DR amp for sale on this site.

• By Cnnnnc
      Item: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp.
      Price: $1700 (now $1600)
      Item Condition: excellent
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (+3%), Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:
      Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, with tube cage, 
      The amp is a few years old, has been flawless...with amazing sound. 
      The tube cage is a seperate add-on, and will have to be shipped seperately, so prefer pickup. 
      I have used this amp to drive the Wilson Sashas with beautiful sound.
      Any questions, please ask lots of great reviews available for reading on the net for the awards, reviews on the Cronus Magnum...
      It comes with remote and original boxes. If shipping is required it can be discussed.

Specifications
      - 100WPC Magnum
      - Remote volume control included
      - 20Hz-30Khz bandwidth
      - Phono section gain 35dB (before preamp)
      - (3) line level inputs, (1) phono input
      - (1) variable output, (1) fixed output
      - Headphone amplifier
      - 4 and 8 ohm taps
      - Optional tube cage
      - 25kg shipping weight

• By olegau
      Item: Luxman L-509U Amplifier
      Price: $6000
      Item Condition: as new
      Reason for selling: need money
      Extra Info:

Luxman L-509U Amplifier

A one-body separate theory that aims at the sound quality of a separate amplifier while using an Integrated Amplifier. 
      The highest-class model of LUXMAN  Integrated Amplifier.

I am one only owner. Bought new for approximately for $8000   in   February 2012
      The apm has never been repaired, works very well. No issues, can give a week warranty.
      The unit has never been loud more then 9am because I live in a flat and I like my neighbors.

Continuous effective output: 120W + 120W -8ohm   240W + 240W  4 ohm
      reproduction frequency: PHONO: 20Hz ~ 20,000Hz  0.5dB) LINE: 20Hz ~ 100kHz (+ 0, -3.0dB) 
      SN ratio: PHONO (MM): 91dB or more PHONO (MC): 75dB or more LINE: 107dB or more 

Dimension: W 467 x H 179 x D 435 mm
      Weight:  28 kg

Preferably Pickup