Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

YBA Heritage CD100/A100 combo

Well done, Cafad. As a YBA owner I'm glad to see they are getting some well deserved attention.

Very well deserved, it's just unfortunate that the brand doesn't have much of a name for itself in Oz (I know I had never heard of them prior to discovering the sale units at A1 Futureshop).  

Which series gear do you have @@TomAus?

Very well deserved, it's just unfortunate that the brand doesn't have much of a name for itself in Oz (I know I had never heard of them prior to discovering the sale units at A1 Futureshop).  

Which series gear do you have @@TomAus?

YBA has unfortunately not been marketed well in Oz, as you say. I have had a Passion CD 200 for several years and recently picked up a CD 400.

Does YBA still have Yves Bernard Andre designing the gear?     As YBA has been owned by and made in China for some time now - except their very top of rage gear ?

Edited by metal beat

Not sure if he still designs everything but he's certainly still associated with the company.  The website claims that a Chinese company bought a significant percentage of YBA, nothing about buying it outright.

YBA history page.

http://www.ybahifi.com/history.html

My impression is that he is less hands on but still oversees the development of new products. They do have an Australian CEO but it seems as if the Australian market is not a priority.

Time for a YBA revival I think.  I spent much of the week before last on call, waiting for the time when I would be called in on night shift and this gave me much time to sit at home and surf the net.  While doing so I found a demo unit Passion IA350 on offer from Audio Heaven at a discount.  It was still pretty expensive so I thought about it long and hard and, eventually, made a call to Craig at Audio Heaven.  The demo unit had already moved on but since I had his ear anyway I made the call to get my hands on a YBA Genesis IA3 (the model series in between the Heritage and the Passion).

And here it is.

post-130663-0-84594200-1457137729_thumb.

Still loving the YBA boxes.

And in action.

post-130663-0-80820600-1457137762_thumb.

Since it is twice the price of the Heritage integrated unit I was expecting it to sound 'better' but I wasn't expecting it to sound this good. Tighter and more expansive (also more detailed!) bass, more expressive mid range and a more musical and extended top end too, this is some good stuff.

I've had the Genesis since Wednesday so it's still running in but I find myself wondering if maybe I should go the whole hog and just pull the pin on a Passion unit, just in case it somehow manages to be that much better again.

My bank account is a bit sickly at the moment but my credit card is bright, shiny and untouched so the Passion is a definite option, and why shouldn't I break out of my mold of only listening to the sub $3K amp market?  I mean really, what was I thinking when I decided to do that?

So..., I'm going to enjoy listening to this YBA Genesis IA3 all through the weekend and then call Craig again on Monday and tell him to I'm upgrading to the Passion IA350 because life is short (and money on a credit card isn't real money anyway, everyone knows it's only pretend!).

Hi Cafad,

Enjoy your reviews mate.

Based on your positive reviews I was considering the YBA DAC. Any exposure on that front?

Neil

Hi Neil, not specifically mate but I can say that both the Wolfson DAC in the Heritage cd100 and the CS 4398 DAC in the Genesis IA3 sound pretty good to me.

The Heritage cd100 also has a coax and usb digital in, so it's basically a dual purpose component, provided you don't need an optical input.

Were you thinking Heritage or Design series?

Hi Cafad,

The Heritage appear to be the only range that had a standalone DAC, and as you said only the cd100 is a dual purpose disc spinner.

The pricing is very attractive on this range as well.

I currently have a Primare CD32 which is a nice player, and was thinking of trading to a multipurpose Oppo BDP105 or keep it and add in a standalone DAC hence the interest.

Cheers

Neil

The Design range has a DAC as well.  Personally I'd probably go for the Heritage but that's just me.

Cafad I have a Genesis CD which was my second YBA player. The Genesis is a nice player, although can be a bit forward in the midrange for some set ups.
If you can afford the Passion, I’d say go on do it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By olegau
      Item: Sansui AU 3900 integrated amplifier
      Price: 240
      Item Condition: good
      Reason for selling: too many
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
       Sansui AU 3900 integrated amplifier in good working order. See spec attached.
      Recently the amp was refurbished 
       Two days unsuccessful warranty
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Cafad
      Almost 3 years ago now I wrote my first 'real' review for SNA. 
      https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/classe-sigma-2200i-integrated-amplifier

And I liked the amp that Marc sent me to review.  I liked it a lot.  So much in fact that when the opportunity came up to buy one for a 'measly' $3500, I took it.  That ebay transaction fell through and my money was refunded,  which disappointed me no end , so I was forced to soldier on.  With the news that Classe was closing down I was hit hard, no more Classe meant that when I was ready for it there might not be a Sigma 2200i ready for me.  Then came the news that Classe was being bought, followed by the news that the Sigma range was probably not going to be continued, which made me happy initially but then just as sad. 
      It looked like there would be no Sigma 2200i for me.

So I was pretty damn happy when one popped up on SNA for the same price I was willing to pay via ebay.  After all, this is the integrated amp that sits at number one on my list of favourite all time amplifiers.

So, to celebrate my acquiring of what is highly likely to be my end game integrated amp * I've decided to release the scores I awarded it in my initial review.  I didn't put them in to the initial write up as that sort of thing is just not done in official reviews.  But, just because the scores I give to each and every amp I review may never see the light of day in any official capacity doesn't mean I don't evaluate and award them in the first place.  They just stay on my sheet of notes.
      However now that I'm an owner it's less official and more personal, so those numbers are about to be set free.

I'm going to see if I can copy the original review and then add in the numbers in the next post.  Hope this works.

* Yeah I know, I didn't think it would ever happen either.  
    • By Audio Connection
      Item: Arcam CDS27 CD player in NEW unopened condition
      Price: $1,095.
      Item Condition: NEW - full warranty 
      Reason for selling: Clearance 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Credit card on pick up, Direct deposit 
      Extra Info: Can freight at extra cost 

The CDS27 offers outstanding performance from all forms of compatible audio media. Music from SACDs and CDs and network is delivered with outstanding quality to the very highest standards currently available. Using Arcam’s unique and hard won engineering expertise the CDS27 delivers a truly exceptional performance, regardless of the media used.

SACD/CD player with network streaming
      SACD & CD playback
      UPnP and CIFS audio streaming up to 192/24
      Audiophile grade playback
      TI/Burr Brown PCM1794 DAC
      Balanced and single-ended audio outputs
      IR and full duplex IP & RS232 control
      Low power 0.5W standby

• By Max Headroom
      Item: Marantz CD6004 CD Player
      Price:  $350
      Item Condition: Like new
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Have this fabulous  CD player sitting around not getting used. Its really very good - I put it into my system last night to test and photograph it, and I'd forgotten how good it sounded. I was so taken with the sound that I played through a couple of CD's before I stopped. Has a USB input on the front so its very versatile, and can be used as a transport. Also allows you to switch off the USB input, display and digital outputs to improve the sound quality - which is the mode I use it in.

The previous model was highly lauded and reviewed, beating everything at its price point and then some. This model sports a new CD mechanism, upgraded power supply, brand new DAC, new amplifier module and a new, vibration-eliminating solid metal bottom-plate. It looks much more expensive than it is, and the quality of the case and buttons would make you think so to. 

The CD player reproduces music in a rich, detailed but dynamic way, and has a way with rhythm that is really infectious.

See What Hifi for a great review, which pretty much sums up what I think: https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/cd6004/review

Alas I have too much gear and the upgrade bug has bitten me bad so I have to clear the decks, raise some funds and say goodbye to some of this lovely gear.

Comes with a Marantz remote and a standard power cable if you need one, but I dont have the original packaging so I'm more interested in pick at this point. If you're interstate and really keen drop me a line and I might consider it depending on how much interest I get.

Donation to SNA on successful sale.

• By Douglas HiFi
      Item: Cambridge Audio CXA60 Integrated Amp
      Price: $990 - Stereonet Special - Limited Stocks
      Item Condition: Sealed - Brand New
      Reason for selling: Cos we're nice guys
      Payment Method: Cash, Visa, Mastercard, EFTPOS, Direct Deposit
      Extra Info: 
      Cambridge Audio CXA60 Award Winning Integrated HiFi Amplifier
      Cambridge has made a name for itself over the years for making affordable, high quality, award winning HiFi audio products.
      The CX-A series show a great understanding of what people are looking to connect in this modern world.
      Sporting (5x) Analogue inputs as well as (3x) Digital inputs gives this HiFi amplifier connectivity options to share across analogue and digital sources.
      The Wolfson HiRes DAC fitted internally is based on the Award Winning DAC Magic+ stand alone unit and offers a performance that is an improvement beyond many built in efforts at the budget to mid priced end of components.

Let the experience and knowledge of the Cambridge Audio design team bring your HiFi into the modern world with an award winning performance.
      The CXA60 must be heard to be believed.

Technical Details
      Power output: (2x) 60W RMS into 8 Ohms, 90W RMS into 4 Ohms
      DAC: Wolfson WM8740
      Frequency Response: <5Hz– 60kHz +/-1dB
      Analogue audio inputs (4x) RCA, (1x) 3.5mm MP3 input (front panel)
      Digital audio inputs: (1x) S/PDIF coaxial, (2x) TOSLINK optical, OPTIONAL Bluetooth via BT100 (not supplied)
      Outputs: Speakers A and/or B, 3.5mm Headphone Output, Preamp Output, Subwoofer Output

Pictures:

https://www.douglashifi.com.au/products/cambridge-audio-cxa-60