6 Years, room finished.....now we're selling the house

Guest Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek

The crap speakers I left behind, the buyer was a prick, so I left what I had laying around. The left and rights are pretty decent actually (QSC)555983326_15110320Screen20off_zpsqkz0hyxo.jpg.f4b39da9951926b3a7ab9737d60c57be.jpg:

Guest Peter the Greek

The finished product:

1338771961_15111020Screen20Wall20Shot_zpsxyjzwfaq.jpg.9804f3ac211c7f97ce0a37d6f77d1e46.jpg

1370579179_15111020Screen20Wall_zpsjtf03asl.jpg.62f1f5b2b99b7c48c8bd9be8fe83a8d0.jpg

1345870679_15111020Back20Wall_zpsr9afsu2f.jpg.c374a8925476ed36cb3122af67f2d19d.jpg

This is a "normal" solid core door that sealed the air lock passage. Not a whisper of sound could be heard from the other side

1381580285_15111020Entry20to20house_zpsy7pqkg0r.jpg.b9461beacd434c80ce2d9f28e4c19997.jpg

Guest Peter the Greek
On 21/04/2018 at 6:15 PM, :) al said:

given you say youre in-between rooms peter... whats next :D 

We're DIY'ing our entire home at present...probably 4-5 months to go until its "finished" (sort of). That will include getting our old living room system back up and running in what will be our study area, which adjoins the dining area, and my wife's sewing area.

Post that, these need to find their way into boxes, we need to find some cash for a LOT of new amps and DSP's (say $15k), and then we'll have a 3.5 channel system in our living room. Open plan, but still with an AT screen and a good amount of treatments.....then longer term its a question of priorities......we'd like to build a house on our place (110 acres), but that is a big undertaking, and will no doubt include a suitably grand cinema.

140418AMTFront_zps26ed4964.jpg.5476bae735cb67a15083ecf72cc2d97b.jpg

Note: that's the old house

1891948432_15030420AE201520inch20to20620inch_zpspprm39ln.jpg.96d954fcdebac1988557ad395ae6e155.jpg

Guest Peter the Greek
On 22/04/2018 at 8:06 PM, Jventer said:

Enjoy the ride.

LOL, you say that, but I doubt you've been living with one of these as your only source of sound for the past 2 years! ;) :D I'm over it

UR18DSDL Cordless Digital Radio

Edited by Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek
8 hours ago, Black Orange said:

the room in a room design

Howdy, thanks for he comments.

I would not use room in room again. For two reasons:

1. Its actually rather expensive, bt the time you buy the timber for the frames and then the HY joists for the ceiling

2. Clips and channel are better in my opinion and subsequent experience. They give the wall some flex (good thing), they're very easy to install and quicker compared to framing out, and they take up a LOT less space. I am not sure if they're "quite" as effective, but they're pretty darn close and given the other advantages I'd be happy with it.

Unless of course you have a VERY cheap supply of framing timber....but even then

• 1 month later...

fantastic thread!

and the summary and quotes on your AVS post has been very informative!

Don't know if i will ever get the chance to build my own home theatre room, but some amazing information packed in that thread

So cheers, and looking forward to mk iii

• 2 months later...

Fantastic effort and build. Just amazing. I have some questions if you have time please. All good if you don't :)

Which design package did you get from Shawn Byrne? 

image.png.ecf5582c9b170cdb2162e5d2528c8e9a.png

What's the best way to start cutting a hole in a ply wall for outlets and such? 

How was the Angelstep and chipboard secured to floor?

What's the black insulation on the front wall?

How much green glue is required per sheet of fyrchek on the walls? Or how much do you reckon would be required for a 6.3m x 4.3m x 2.7m room (walls and ceilings) with stage and riser?

Thanks

Guest Peter the Greek
11 hours ago, br0d0 said:

Fantastic effort and build. Just amazing. I have some questions if you have time please. All good if you don't :)

Which design package did you get from Shawn Byrne? 

image.png.ecf5582c9b170cdb2162e5d2528c8e9a.png

Shawn's packages have changed over the past few years, moreso since his official hook up with Quest. What I got was pretty much aligned with the Bronze package. More or less. He also did an RPG waveform ceiling for me, but we didn't end up doing that. If we'd have stayed in that house I would have, but it would have made the ceiling height another ~200mm lower, so not for everyone

What's the best way to start cutting a hole in a ply wall for outlets and such? 

No holes, well only enough for the cables to come through (then sealed with an acoustic sealant), everything in that room was surface or internally mounted. An advantage of the acoustic panels which were about 65mm thick (that was only because I couldn't be bothered ripping them down to 50mm. So they had air gaps where I thought appropriate (I recall modelling that at the time)

How was the Angelstep and chipboard secured to floor?

Its not, that's the point - its fully floating. The Angelstep goes down, the chipboard was glued on all sides/joins (probably with liquid nails, I can't remember, maybe Sikaflex). There was a 5-10mm gap all the way around the edge, filled with sealant, so it didn't contact the walls - no flanking paths. Getting the floor flat wasn't too hard, basically used jack stands on each join when I glued it down. Essential to use flat, new, chipboard

956054183_150524BackWall_zpshw989hhq.JPG.0cfef8406c9d50d1136a9403452a7722.JPG

Over that went a laminate floor underlay, and then the laminate floor on top - going at right angles with the largest joins in the chipboard. Between the weight of the riser and stage, plus the floor, there is no chance of it moving. If I had more ceiling height, I'd have done another layer of chipboard with GG (screwed down to the bottom chip board), but that was 20mm we didn't have. Its a very tight space, every inch counted.

What's the black insulation on the front wall?

HD batts from Acoustica - they sell them as "white" but you can order in black

How much green glue is required per sheet of fyrchek on the walls? Or how much do you reckon would be required for a 6.3m x 4.3m x 2.7m room (walls and ceilings) with stage and riser?

Thanks

Have a read of the GG website. I think from memory I used 3 tubes per 2400x1200 sheet. It might have been 2. I believe two is enough

On 14/08/2018 at 8:54 AM, Peter the Greek said:

No holes, well only enough for the cables to come through (then sealed with an acoustic sealant), everything in that room was surface or internally mounted. An advantage of the acoustic panels which were about 65mm thick (that was only because I couldn't be bothered ripping them down to 50mm. So they had air gaps where I thought appropriate (I recall modelling that at the time)

Thanks. Just on the walls, it looks like you hung plywood, drilled holes and pulled the wire and then did the same for the gyprock. Did the process go something like that? And how did you pull the wire through such small holes please? I'm not sure how I would do this. 

Guest Peter the Greek
17 hours ago, br0d0 said:

Did the process go something like that? 

I gave myself plenty of slack with the wiring.

1. Measured exactly there I wanted the hole

2. Drilled that on the ply (on the ground)

3. Put the sheet roughly in place and fed the wire through.

4. Fixed the sheet to the frame

5. Sealed around the wire with sealant

6. When done a bead of sealant was put on all joins, except the butt joints between sheets

Rinse and repeat for the second layer of gyprock. But staggered the sheet pattern so a joint for the gyprock was not aligned with a joint of the ply

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

I gave myself plenty of slack with the wiring.

1. Measured exactly there I wanted the hole

2. Drilled that on the ply (on the ground)

3. Put the sheet roughly in place and fed the wire through.

4. Fixed the sheet to the frame

5. Sealed around the wire with sealant

6. When done a bead of sealant was put on all joins, except the butt joints between sheets

Rinse and repeat for the second layer of gyprock. But staggered the sheet pattern so a joint for the gyprock was not aligned with a joint of the ply

Wow. So much attention to detail. Thinking about it all, from the HVAC, to the lighting, to the power, to the sound isolation... all the way through to finally hanging the pj... it makes my head spin. Just gotta plan, plan, plan and remember to take it one step at a time.

Guest Peter the Greek
3 hours ago, br0d0 said:

one step at a time.

You'll figure it out. If you're starting with a blank canvas its easier, you just need to start with the end in mind. Define what it is you want to achieve and back solve from there.

The soundproofing is really quite straight forward, as you say, its just a question of detail. Seal what can be sealed, damp whatever you can, isolate everything you can, add mass to whatever you can.

Ideally you want a heavy, stand alone "floating" box sitting within a structure. Any necessary penetrations need careful consideration. 

The soundproofingcompany website is excellent. Study it fastidiously.

Acoustics....well....I'm no expert, though my personal plan was terribly close to that which Shawn presented (only because I pestered Dennis with questions for 5-10 years and studied all of their builds in detail). I changed it a bit and was very pleased. I had the benefit of having a couple of friends 6-12 months ahead of me. I helped with their rooms, so I had a good idea. Paying Shawn was good insurance in my opinion.