I have been very busy recently but now have time to give my opinion on this product. I have been using a few different LPM's to power the QNAP NAS, and the switch between the NAS and my digital source.

If you can only power one device, the router/switch seems to have the greatest effect.

I have only had the HD-Plex LPM and a TeddyPardo 12/4 power supply to compare. Both are about $650 AUD inc shipping, while the Uptone JS-2 is pushing $1600, so its not a fair price comparison.

Well I should firstly say that I preferred the TeddyPardo over the HD-Plex. The HD-Plex seems better value, with multiple outputs at different voltages, but if you only need one output, then the Teddy wins on pure sound quality. Compared to the SMPS the HD-Plex was subtlety better, but the Teddy was definitely better. I sold my HD-Plex a while back after comparing them.

But the Uptone Audio JS-2 was a clear step up on either of these devices. Music seemed to have more weight, and space, and air e.t.c There was more bass. And all this was just by powering the NAS and router. I made sure to compare against the Teddy while powering only 1 of these items, as the Teddy only has one output. The Uptone has the capability to power 2 outputs and both at different voltages selectable with a rotating switch.

I imagine if you power a pre-amp or DAC with the Uptone JS-2 you will get even more positive effect than these NAS devices.

One important thing not mentioned in other Uptone JS-2 reports.... I have always found plugging the LPM into the same digital zone as my source equipment had a negative effect. Whether it be SMPS, HD-Plex or Teddy, the system always performed much better when the LPM power supply was on a separate power line to my main system. This was a pain because my PS Audio Dectet has lots of inputs, but only 3 isolated zones; 2 digital zones and 1 analog zone. So the LPM has to share duties with my source and DAC on the same zone. This has led me to run a power cable from my kitchen into my lounge room purely for the LPM (yes I have no wife).

The designer of the Uptone JS-2, John Swenson, mentioned one of the main negative performance aspects of an LPM was not the quality of the power output itself, but how well the LPM can stop hash and noise feeding back into the mains and effecting other devices on the same line. He claims to have done something about this, using the chokes or some such other technique. So how well does the JS-2 do here? Yes a huge improvement compared to the other LPM's. I wont lie, there still is a negative effect to having the JS-2 on the same power zone as the source/DAC, but now its minor and subtle, something I can live with.

I can wholeheartedly recommend getting this product, its versatility, performance and build quality are very high for such a reasonable price. 

Edited by agisthos
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Thanks for the informative post.

Do you have a music server/pc in your setup? If so, how did you power that?

Thanks for the informative post.

Do you have a music server/pc in your setup? If so, how did you power that?

No I don't, so unfortunately cannot help describe how it will perform on those devices.

I use an Oppo as my music server/streamer. It has a custom modified LPS inside, clock upgrades e.t.c

No I don't, so unfortunately cannot help describe how it will perform on those devices.

Cheers. Thanks for the info. So the JS-2 was powering the NAS and the switch that connects the NAS to your Oppo?

• 2 years later...

Recently took delivery of the Uptone JS-2 power supply and it is a remarkable unit. My system is already tweaked to the eyeballs with Metrum, NAGRA and Tidal Audio supported by latest shunyata cabling and Furutech risers. Have played with a few power supplies for the source/SPDIF converter and Clock and the JS-2 is the best by a large margin. It adds a lot of scale, holographic imaging and detail to an otherwise very satisfying system. One that is a special mention is the speed of attack and the textured decay trails - brings music more to "life" and that quality that you seek so you can keep listening and immersed. 

The build and packaging is also first rate.

Additionally, for those who are looking at DC powered servers or HTPC with low noise wattage profiles, the JS-2 is pretty much unbeatable given its amp ratings and voltage flexibility. ( two rails). 

Very highly recommended. I must also mention that Alex Crespi's service, knowledge and willingness to go the extra mile is extraordinary. I have purchased a few items from him and the quality of the communication and professionalism is excellent. 

Edited by andresz
  • Like 1

I have seen the threads on the Hashimoto upgrade. They are very good transformers I bet. Not sure I would want to play around with electrics to be honest. Heavy Iron can sound very organic but also can sound a bit damped as well. Use a top quality power cable; stillpoints or Grand Prix Audio apex footers and a Furutech riser around the PC plug and you have something very special. 

I have a few Sboosters and there is no comparison. Not in the same ball park. 

Edited by andresz