Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Torture' LPs.

G'day all, I was just reading some posts on another forum  on the 1812 Overture LP from Telarc, with the cannon shots widely considered to be a true 'torture' record LP.  Has anyone any personal experience with playing this record?  Are there any others as notorious?  Regards, Felix.             

yup hifi shop review disk when you were sure absolutely sure the setup would track it......we later "lost" the record......I think I still have it " somewhere "

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Guest Muon

Any of Justin Bieber's material would be torture ;)

G'day mate, in terms of tracking difficulty! :unsure:  Regards, Felix. 

Guest Muon

G'day mate, in terms of tracking difficulty! :unsure:  Regards, Felix. 

I know :)

Just having fun :D

I don't have any tracking issues with any record including that Telarc 1812 except if the LP is a faulty pressing.

I use Stevenson alignment.

Edited by metal beat

I recall a hard house track from the 90s that had a woman doing an opera kind of scream just before the big drop that would shatter your eardrums with its high distorted pitch no matter what kind of system it was played on.

Most club DJs were allagedly told not to play it.

Which was a shame as the rest of the tune was a real banger.

Production error....

no tracking issues here in the last 15 years of ownership wiht vinyl :)

no tracking issues here in the last 15 years of ownership wiht vinyl :)

But have you tried the Telarc test vinyls in the last 15yrs?

I have some of the Telarc test disc.

There are some really trying samples that test the track ability of a Cartridge, many carts I own won't track the 1812 successfully😩

Edited by Addicted to music

Talvin Singh's Back To Mine compilation. The first track, Craig Armstrong's Weather Storm that a lot of people will recognise when they hear it is a very, very hot mastering on this version and it was this track that taught me about cartridge compliance and effective mass of a tonearm and getting the 2 to work properly when the first enormous bass note threw my Phase Tech P3 Alexandrite cartridge out of the groove. Other cartridges I had would track it...just.

But have you tried the Telarc test vinyls in the last 15yrs?

yep on both TTs have owned in that time :)

do have quite a few LPs that push heavily in the dynamics and bass department. Talvin sings compilation included. 

all these LPs tend to test is your vinyl rigs setup I think.

Talvin Singh's Back To Mine compilation. The first track, Craig Armstrong's Weather Storm that a lot of people will recognise when they hear it is a very, very hot mastering on this version and it was this track that taught me about cartridge compliance and effective mass of a tonearm and getting the 2 to work properly when the first enormous bass note threw my Phase Tech P3 Alexandrite cartridge out of the groove. Other cartridges I had would track it...just.

Paul

That is a setup up issue.  

Never had an problem with the Craig Armstrong track.  Just to be sure, just gave if a spin on my Exclusive P3 and $650 PLX-1000 with 35 year old AT mm cartridge. Both play perfectly :)

Edited by metal beat

The initial batch of Led Zep 2 LPs caused a lot of tracking issues because of their thundering bass, IIRC. This is the original RL cut, highly sought by LZ fans. Not that rare, and I think I may have a copy.

--Geoff

I use Stevenson alignment.

Good Im not the only one.

Not only is it easier to align, but it seems to track better than  Baerwald, on my stuff anyways......doesn't hurt to have good cartridge suspension as well and everything set up correctly.

Good Im not the only one.

Not only is it easier to align, but it seems to track better than  Baerwald, on my stuff anyways......doesn't hurt to have good cartridge suspension as well and everything set up correctly.

Good to see some people listening with their ears :D

The hardest part of the LP to track is the last 3rd.  Stevenson is designed to track better in that last 3rd.  I find with longer albums these days, plenty are cut very close to the record label.   Stevenson tracks these easily.

Edited by metal beat

I have the Telarc Omnidisc test records that contain 2 vinyl LP. The 1812 excerpt on this is what @@catman is referring to. When I bought this set there is only a couple of cartridge/tonearm combo that will completely pass the 1812 completely(not by ear), but that was in the mid 80s. Some of these dynamics I can see that they are around 1.5mm apart and are visible to the naked eye. On one section I could see where possibly the Linn Asak/Ittok combo has failed and damaged the test record. After this, I got married and there was roast in the oven, so I went to CDs.post-118179-0-43958500-1446941996_thumb.

post-118179-0-67914000-1446942092_thumb.

post-118179-0-55663300-1446942135_thumb.

post-118179-0-21065800-1446942179_thumb.

post-118179-0-76672000-1446942207_thumb.

Good to see some people listening with their ears :D

The hardest part of the LP to track is the last 3rd.  Stevenson is designed to track better in that last 3rd.  I find with longer albums these days, plenty are cut very close to the record label.   Stevenson tracks these easily.

Baerwald here, better compromise for me over the whole side.

Stevenson is perfect at 60 mm from centre, Baerwald at 66mm. But Stevenson has higher distortion at outer and midpoint than Baerwald.

I still play plenty of shorter albums ;) 

1812 tracks fine.