Anyone else into BBQ?

and we're cooking with gas ! :D 

yep up and going ! 

30172894917_6952969f73_b.jpg

Its quite a bit smaller than our old bbq, but still doesnt loose a heap in cooking surface. plus will be a lot more efficient/faster I think.

looking forward to first cook on it...

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

Little fathers day present to myself.      

Ohhhh red one, nice. 

And remember if ya' lookin' ya' not cookin'  so keep that lid closed even though every fibre in your body will want to go peeking every 30sec's. Soon as you conquer that you'll be cranking out some awesome food in no time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ohhhh red one, nice. 

And remember if ya' lookin' ya' not cookin'  so keep that lid closed even though every fibre in your body will want to go peeking every 30sec's. Soon as you conquer that you'll be cranking out some awesome food in no time.

haha yes something will have to get used to ! as used to open bbq's prior. the lady at the shop 1st up asked me too ... have you had a webber before.... when I said no. she said 2st thing. you'll have to get used to keeping the lid closed. unless the lid is closed it aint happening :D 

30 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Oh and another tip is the RHS tends to be hotter so keep that in mind when you load it up with steak, snags etc.

intersting ! will indeed have to keep it in mind :)

daughters got some friends coming over tomorrow so we'll give it a go for that :) 

ps whats your thoughts on the half plate TB. I never got it, the sauce pan instead. but wondering now if I should have got the plate as well. is there much the half plate is useful for ? 

Pan better as can keep convection going better. I’m flying solo with kids and wife at the in-laws farm. Came home early as such a great day, tunes cranked.

Ive just done my best reverse sear steak yet... and it wasn’t even that thick. Just served with Coles kale slaw
IMG_5251.jpg

• Like 1

Just a question for those in the know.

I am thinking of purchasing a Webber "Smokey Mountain "  so I can venture a little way into slow cooking and smoking. My question relates to the size of the smallest one which fits with how much I want to spend.  I am thinking it may be too small but hoping it isn't.

I don't cook for many people, usually 4 and on occasion 6-8 but that is not very often. Will the smallest model be adequate in terms of capacity?

Thanks .

1 hour ago, :) al said:

haha yes something will have to get used to ! as used to open bbq's prior. the lady at the shop 1st up asked me too ... have you had a webber before.... when I said no. she said 2st thing. you'll have to get used to keeping the lid closed. unless the lid is closed it aint happening :D 

intersting ! will indeed have to keep it in mind :)

daughters got some friends coming over tomorrow so we'll give it a go for that :) 

ps whats your thoughts on the half plate TB. I never got it, the sauce pan instead. but wondering now if I should have got the plate as well. is there much the half plate is useful for ? 

I use mine when cooking eggs, pancakes, fish  etc. you should see how you go with your skillet. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, rantan said:

Just a question for those in the know.

I am thinking of purchasing a Webber "Smokey Mountain "  so I can venture a little way into slow cooking and smoking. My question relates to the size of the smallest one which fits with how much I want to spend.  I am thinking it may be too small but hoping it isn't.

I don't cook for many people, usually 4 and on occasion 6-8 but that is not very often. Will the smallest model be adequate in terms of capacity?

Thanks .

Really depends on what you want to cook as capacity wise its fine for a crowd of 4 or more but what you will run into is the diameter might not fit that rack of ribs or full brisket so you might have to end up trimming it a bit to fit. No difference taste wise though.

The smoky mountains are a great choice though due there flexibility. Remove middle section and grill direct on coals or insert water pan and do a low temp cook that will last all night. Do a search on them and you'll find many teams using these exclusively in comps (and winning) over there brothers using mega dollar smokers (Harry Soo being a good example). 

• Like 1

first run yesterday... going with the cliche of some prawns on the barbie :D 

43334910770_46fb30cdb7_b.jpg

followed the recipe in the book you put upon TB. using their fish grill suggestion. 2.5min each side on the fish grill

but thought looking a bit anaemic, and best to give it some time right on the grill, about 2 min each side,

43334911020_4d60609f4f_b.jpg

its quick cooking that much I'll say ! 

and came up an absolute treat :) juiciest prawns ever done. 

I did wonder if kind of thing should have done on a half plate, I think I might grab one when get a chance :) 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, :) al said:

first run yesterday... going with the cliche of some prawns on the barbie :D 

43334910770_46fb30cdb7_b.jpg

followed the recipe in the book you put upon TB. using their fish grill suggestion. 2.5min each side on the fish grill

but thought looking a bit anaemic, and best to give it some time right on the grill, about 2 min each side,

43334911020_4d60609f4f_b.jpg

its quick cooking that much I'll say ! 

and came up an absolute treat :) juiciest prawns ever done. 

I did wonder if kind of thing should have done on a half plate, I think I might grab one when get a chance :) 

Nice.

I've got a half plate for my baby q for camping breakfasts of bacon and eggs. If I had a cast iron frypan with removable handle, I'd think that would be preferable as it would be more versatile and I'm always looking for somewhere to keep that bloody half plate as it's ONLY used for eggs. I would just cook those prawns on the grill as you finished them for a bit of char. I find with prawns, once they are lightly charred, they are ready. I found the Q bbq's got me used to not over cooking food as much as I used to.

• Like 1
Guest jakeyb77
18 minutes ago, blybo said:

Nice.

I've got a half plate for my baby q for camping.

Camping is a slap in the face of evolution!! 

?

@:) al THe whole idea of those roasting trays is they allow some direct heat thru, using the baking paper probably negated that.

Last night I did 2 mini lamb roasts in our Weber Q with the roasting tray and rack. Got them to just under medium rare by internal temp, and then seared them and let rest for 10 minutes. Bloody beautiful, just marinated with salt, fresh rosemary and some garlic infused oil (wife is on low fodmap diet so can't have garlic or onion but for some reason infused oils are okay).

I would have had use the Kamado but was out till 5:45 and didn't have time to get the fired going

7 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Camping is a slap in the face of evolution!! 

?

Not how I do it ?

Fresh ground espresso, beer and bbq across the road from the surf beach. What more could you want?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, blybo said:

Nice.

I've got a half plate for my baby q for camping breakfasts of bacon and eggs. If I had a cast iron frypan with removable handle, I'd think that would be preferable as it would be more versatile and I'm always looking for somewhere to keep that bloody half plate as it's ONLY used for eggs. I would just cook those prawns on the grill as you finished them for a bit of char. I find with prawns, once they are lightly charred, they are ready. I found the Q bbq's got me used to not over cooking food as much as I used to.

I'd never do eggs on the family Q, can understands while camping though. yep the lady at webber store was dead set convincing me not to get the half plate as she felt it robs a great deal of the webber experience with its open grill.

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

THe whole idea of those roasting trays is they allow some direct heat thru, using the baking paper probably negated that.

could be right, I followed the recipe instruction that said use the baking paper. we like doing marinated chicken and lady at webber store suggested would be best to grill using the baking tray and then finish off for char.

do you pre heat the baking grill ? its something I didnt do.

12 minutes ago, :) al said:

I'd never do eggs on the family Q, can understands while camping though. yep the lady at webber store was dead set convincing me not to get the half plate as she felt it robs a great deal of the webber experience with its open grill.

could be right, I followed the recipe instruction that said use the baking paper. we like doing marinated chicken and lady at webber store suggested would be best to grill using the baking tray and then finish off for char.

do you pre heat the baking grill ? its something I didnt do.

I agree with her and wish I'd done the same. With camping a handle-less frypan would be more versatile.

If that's what the recipe said... However the roasting grill fits nicely in our dishwasher so I don't worry about a little mess.

I preheat the weber, then clean plates with a wire brush when up around 400 or over, put in tray and roasting grill. I then leave for a few minutes getting right temp for style of cooking, whilst putting finishing touches on preparing the meat. I find the Weber takes a good 15 minutes before temps are stable enough to be able to walk away from.

I've learnt since getting the Q, and more so the Kamado, (although difficult with prawns or fish) to use internal temps with probes rather than relying on times at certain temps to do my cooking. I'm now annoyed if I miss getting food off quick enough which reminds me my bluetooth probe sensor needs a new battery. I like the Weber 1's as they are also wifi for better range, but they were out of stock at the time I needed one. As an Apple watch wearer it's cool when your watch tells you your cooking is done!

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, :) al said:

good stuff @blybo might have to invest in one of the probes would be handy for larger stuff like chicken whole fish and such I think.

look for 1 that has 4 probes so you can also do your common steaks, pork chops etc. If you ever go for a charcoal firedbbq, it can measure your pit temps too.

This is the 1 I have but is bluetooth only so range is limited.

https://www.bigwigjerky.com.au/shop/maverick-ichef-2-probe-bluetooth-app-enabled-bbq-thermometer/

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, :) al said:

I happily use the Family Q (and BabyQ) when cooking breakfasts, especially around Christmas/ hotter times of the year.  Below is the classic breakfast cooking instructions from Weber.

BTW - I agree with using temperature probes when cooking larger pieces of meat.

Weber Aussie breakfast

• Prep Time
    10 minutes
    Cook Time
    15 minutes
    Difficulty
    Easy
    Servings
    Ideal
    for
    charcoal or gasQ
    Ingredients
    Butter
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Mushrooms, finely sliced
    Tomatoes (halved)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Method
    Step 1
    Preheat the barbecue with one half grill and one half hotplate, for direct cooking. 

Once the barbecue is preheated, turn the burners to medium.

Step 2
    Melt the butter on the hotplate. Place the mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon on the hotplate. Season the mushrooms and tomatoes with salt and pepper.

Step 3
    With the lid closed, cook for approximately five minutes and then turn the mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon.

Step 4
    Melt a little more butter on the hotplate and crack the eggs on to it.  Season the eggs with salt and pepper and put the lid back down.

Step 5
    With the lid closed, cook for a further five minutes.

Method

Step 1
Preheat the barbecue with one half grill and one half hotplate, for direct cooking. 

Once the barbecue is preheated, turn the burners to medium.

Step 2
Melt the butter on the hotplate. Place the mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon on the hotplate. Season the mushrooms and tomatoes with salt and pepper.

Step 3
With the lid closed, cook for approximately five minutes and then turn the mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon.

Step 4
Melt a little more butter on the hotplate and crack the eggs on to it.  Season the eggs with salt and pepper and put the lid back down.

Step 5
With the lid closed, cook for a further five minutes.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, frankn said:

I happily use the Family Q (and BabyQ) when cooking breakfasts, especially around Christmas/ hotter times of the year.  Below is the classic breakfast cooking instructions from Weber.

mouth is watering reading that :D 

My old ratty 4 burner Jumbuck has finally died.  The burners have split and the rest of the old thing is in a bad way.

Can't afford a new one just yet -  so, l have remove all the gas bits and i'm going to try using heatbeads or charcoal in it before it gets thrown out.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

My old ratty 4 burner Jumbuck has finally died.  The burners have split and the rest of the old thing is in a bad way.

Can't afford a new one just yet -  so, l have remove all the gas bits and i'm going to try using heatbeads or charcoal in it before it gets thrown out.

What a brilliant idea! The irony being you'll most likely be getter better tasting food than you ever did previously.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

I too might just do the same on the old one we have as its the same with the gas bits a bit shot out. but rest of it is still ok :)

take one picks of how it all turns out grumpy :) 

• Like 1

@:) al

@Grumpy

You 2 may want to look into some sort of cast iron fire grate so you can get some air under the coals, and not over heat the floor of the existing bbq.

This stuff is pretty cheap from a camping supplies store or even BBQ galore/Rays and could also eventually be used in a DIY fire pit/brazier/heater

1 hour ago, blybo said:

@:) al

@Grumpy

You 2 may want to look into some sort of cast iron fire grate so you can get some air under the coals, and not over heat the floor of the existing bbq.

This stuff is pretty cheap from a camping supplies store or even BBQ galore/Rays and could also eventually be used in a DIY fire pit/brazier/heater

blybo thats particularly why I was thinking on our old bbq, as it has a good grate already there, anyways maybe a summer project. anyways I will have a look next chance i get.

28 minutes ago, :) al said:

blybo thats particularly why I was thinking on our old bbq, as it has a good grate already there, anyways maybe a summer project. anyways I will have a look next chance i get.

@:) al I have a have a Weber half moon plate for the 320Q thats only been used twice you can have for free if you want. Would it really like it to go to a good home and yours sounds perfect ?

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

@:) al I have a have a Weber half moon plate for the 320Q thats only been used twice you can have for free if you want. Would it really like it to go to a good home and yours sounds perfect ?

thats very generous of you TB ! hang onto it for me, consider it taken :) 

1 minute ago, :) al said:

thats very generous of you TB ! hang onto it for me, consider it taken :) 

Just another reason to pull my finger out and host a GTG.

....it WILL happen (I promise)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

Just another reason to pull my finger out and host a GTG.

....it WILL happen (I promise)

perhaps in time to christen the beast !!

we can all come to pay homage ! 

• Haha 1

Shhhh :fear:... don't tell anyone, but if you want baby back ribs with some decent meat on 'em, get yourself down to Costco. My wife went yesterday with her parents who have a membership, and... wow, so much better than we can get from the local butchers as far as meat content, taste test will have to wait a few days. We will be going regularly I think. We also got some really nice super thick loin lamb chops (like a mini t-bone steak) and we'll be having those tonight, ribs on Sunday.

• Like 1

I'll just barge in and derail the thread in a massive way, with some boiled meat....

No, I couldn't do that. However, I will slightly derail the thread not with meat, but with a pizza! About two or so years ago a pizzaiolo suggested I should bake the pizzas in the hot barbie, as it gets a nice fire from below. Additionally, I found out that this round paellera (paella pan) fits a nice round massive pizza.

First one was the Alsatian-style (but not quite) "Flammkuchen", a sort of white pizza, with Creme Fraiche instead of tomato sauce. I like my pizzas simple, I don't really care about the onion, some ham and cheese will do.

IMG20181013161121.thumb.jpg.647b18ae989d4ba01ac84422e62c840f.jpg

IMG20181013161348.thumb.jpg.a9363848c47a54970e2b315804c64425.jpg

IMG20181013161838.thumb.jpg.2f7df8688fe83b13fefd9e6c792a100f.jpg

Now, after heating up the barbie to about 250C or so, I lower the burners below the pan, but I leave the ones beside it on high to keep the temperature high.

IMG20181013163055.thumb.jpg.3385d6b026708ca1c6a29fa45ba34915.jpg

Watch it, 10 minutes and it's usually too much.

IMG20181013163755.thumb.jpg.f712135c9d22ef7e9a3111fba15b4b1e.jpg

But such a joy is not enough for a family of four (and that's with primary school kids), so I was forced to do numero dos with tomato sauce...

IMG20181013165829.thumb.jpg.e76a2204937f9d40db64fb882f76b105.jpg

IMG20181013170658.thumb.jpg.1045a2e7d85733f4ed219005a75f25b5.jpg

Same deal as before, be quick, or the bottom gets it bigtime. Nice thin and crunchy!

IMG20181013171630.thumb.jpg.732945d81c77dabf3932e48791d23e89.jpg

And that's my contribution for the day. I have to go and take care of my lasagna. Very good weekend this!

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 3

Always do home made pizzas on the Weber. Put the pizza stone on a trivet, heat it up, put pizza on thin metal plate and away you go. I love various vegetarian pizza concoctions. Offer use Bocconcini in place of (or in addition to) grated cheeses. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a 2kg pork shoulder roast w/ crackle in the Kamado on Sunday, sorry no photos so this may not have actually happened ?.

High temp (600f) for first 45 minutes then a bit of work venting hot air out every 5 minutes to bring temps back down to 350f for around another hour. Used a probe and aimed for 160f internal temp which is well done but not over cooked.

Roast was ready 30 min ahead of planned time probably as I couldn't quickly reduce temps in the Kamado. I just cut off the crackling and wrapped the meat in foil, then an old towel and into the esky. Bringing it out after resting for 45 minutes probably helped. Was still plenty hot enough and juicy. So how'd it taste?...

Twas superb, probably the nicest pork roast I've ever tasted although there was a slight issue with the crackling... I was worried letting just the crackling sit for 45 minutes before serving it would go chewy so decided to crank the Kamado back up to just give it another 5 minutes at high temps... Beware though that crackling is basically pure fat... which is a fuel... and it will ignite if you don't watch it... and then burn/melt away in a matter of seconds ?. Was a bit of a shock to see 30cm of flame escaping from the lid of the Kamado from my kitchen... by the time I got to it, it was too late to do anything about it... Family thought it was hilarious but I was so disappointed... until I tasted the meat

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
Guest jakeyb77

If anyone is keen I had my Heston replaced and I’m thinking of moving it on. Still sealed and brand new and has used pedestal and cover. Might trade for a streamer/dac. Let me know if anyone is interested. I have too many spits and rather move to a smoker 

E3097704-FD79-477F-A78D-75BFBF70A619.jpeg

4779288B-4B31-4C37-8104-B3CC585EB6E4.jpeg

Edited by jakeyb77

I bought myself a kilo of chicken thighs for the BBQ and the MotoGP and was cruising the 'net looking for marinade recipes (as you do ?). I ran across a guy who says his standard is whatever rub/spices he had on hand stirred into a good slodge of apricot jam. This was not something I'd heard of before and wondered how it would work.

So I mixed a couple of tablespoons of Jamaican Jerk rub into the jam and marinated the thighs overnight in the 'fridge and then stuck them on the Kamado at 400°F directly over the coals and some smoke wood.

In a word--YUM. I'll be doing the 'apricot jam' thing again.

• Like 2

Sweets are underrated IMHO.

I always marinate with some honey, and have used jam on an occasion or two. Lacking that, a spoonful of raw sugar.

Cheers,

Alberto

Looks expensive.

I have a cheapo smoker, similar in design to the Kamodo, smoked a pork rib joint yesterday, wow, absolutely yummy.