Anyone else into BBQ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Fantastic bark and passes the bend test with ease. That slice looks like its about to drip from your finger!

What rub did you use for the cook?

Classic Texas - just salt and pepper.

Looks great @Zammo

Anybody got suggestions for a butcher to supply pork shoulder in eastern suburbs Melbourne. Trying a pulled pork in the new Kamado for a small gtg on Saturday. Also any rub and wood chip/chunk suggestions that isn't overpowering? I like subtle seasoning, not changing taste too much

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zammo said:

Classic Texas - just salt and pepper.

Ahh the old school dalmation rub. tHat what im using these days for my briskets in a 60/40 ratio of pepper to salt.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, blybo said:

Looks great @Zammo

Anybody got suggestions for a butcher to supply pork shoulder in eastern suburbs Melbourne. Trying a pulled pork for a small gtg on Saturday. Also any rub and wood chip/chunk suggestions that isn't overpowering? I like subtle seasoning, not changing taste too much

Pork shoulders can be a little tricky to get most places and if you do see em' they tend to be trimmed for an oven roast (i.e nearly all fast cap removed and often the bone as well) rather than what we're looking for. Look for pork neck instead (stotch) and a nice roundish piece with decent marbling.

• Like 1

As for rub, this is my goto recipe.Apart from the chilli this is a pretty mild rub that will enhance rather than detract from the pork. I know you dont like heavily smoked meats so depending on your fuel source (i.e if using lump then maybe no additional wood flavoring otherwise use a fruitwood such as apple, cherry, peach rather than a more intense wood like hickory, Iron Bark etc.

1/4 cup pepper

1/4 cup paprika

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 TBLS course salt

2 tsp dry mustard

1tsp cayenne pepper

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

As for rub, this is my goto recipe.Apart from the chilli this is a pretty mild rub that will enhance rather than detract from the pork. I know you dont like heavily smoked meats so depending on your fuel source (i.e if using lump then maybe no additional wood flavoring otherwise use a fruitwood such as apple, cherry, peach rather than a more intense wood like hickory, Iron Bark etc.

1/4 cup pepper

1/4 cup paprika

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 TBLS course salt

2 tsp dry mustard

1tsp cayenne pepper

Might try this with a reduction in pepper, not a huge fan of it myself...

So my local butcher is all over slow and low. Is ordering in a 3kg pork neck for me, rims removed. He also sells Slow Burn wood for smoking. Apparently the top brand available but will suss out their website. 

Here’s tonight’s reverse seared rib eyes. Should have let them rest a while longer but the natives were getting restless. The 2 steaks did 2 adults and 2 kids, plus enough for my salad lunch tomorrow 

012400A0-66F1-4EBF-B98A-1FD6D21AAEE1.jpeg

6D0C5BA6-6525-4D5E-9523-3125CFCD6A9C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

So the pulled pork came up a treat with some online coaching from @Tubularbells

tonight we we had Char Siu (Chinese bbq pork) and although very tasty I couldn’t drop the temp on the Komodo quickly enough so itcooked too quickly in around 2/3rds of the time it should have. Next time I’ll use my Weber for the initial hotter park of the cook and transfer to the Komodo so it can smoke properly. 

5892B48F-F455-4DCE-A669-00E77FCAF877.jpeg

24A6817F-9B8E-40C1-A0AF-7D07FE994087.jpeg

• Like 4

Bit late to the party with this thread, been doing US style BBQ for a while now, Kamado Joe, Bradley, wood fired drum smoker, charcoal grill 

IMG_0133.thumb.jpg.ed09754106afeda66d24b60a007e60e9.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Yum! Quite a few with Kamado style cookers on here it seems.

Yep, where did you buy the temp controller ..?

11 hours ago, Chill3 said:

Yep, where did you buy the temp controller ..?

Bought direct from the manufacturer but in truth don't really use it much these days as the Kamado does such a good job at holding low temps anyway provided you use good quality lump charcoal (or any combustible that doesn't ash too much).

Daughters birthday on Sunday. We asked what special dinner she would like and the answer was pulled beef Tacos...

So I guess I'll be trying a smoked chuck beef roast in the Kamado

Here’s a great recipe for brisket I’ll be cooking on the weekend, along with braised baby back pork ribs in a nice Jim Beam based bbq sauce  

Just put the brisket in the marinade tonight. 

2BAED477-FCE6-4F8C-85FC-C03655D3EA36.jpeg

And pg2

A58B3529-2222-451F-9613-DFA5565A1535.jpeg

Edited by frankn
Added information

• 3 months later...

Eating good tonight guys. Smoked ribs done low & slow, Pork fennel apple and white wine sausages i made a few days ago and the star of the show a couple of Wagu 7+ Tomahawks. IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.bd2c138ed7afac87ab030219769498ba.JPG

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.839fead479a5c89912547145dac3b494.JPG

IMG_2343.thumb.JPG.2144087ce4e8208b2e52fdc276fd7eb2.JPG

• Like 3
Eating good tonight guys. Smoked ribs done low & slow, Pork fennel apple and white wine sausages i made a few days ago and the star of the show a couple of Wagu 7+ Tomahawks. IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.bd2c138ed7afac87ab030219769498ba.JPG

IMG_2343.thumb.JPG.2144087ce4e8208b2e52fdc276fd7eb2.JPG

Tomahawks look amazing! Great effort on the snags as well. They look pro.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

All looks very salivating!

Never done ribs myself - but certainly keen on trying out in my weber!

Edited by evil c

Hi all,

Just put in an order for one of those ceramic Kamado smoker/BBQ/pizza oven things. It's a huge upgrade from the tiny hibachi. It should be here next month.

Tips, recipes, and online ideas for BBQ welcome.

I do like good ribs and pulled pork--@Tubularbells what have you rubbed on those ribs?

36 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Hi all,

Just put in an order for one of those ceramic Kamado smoker/BBQ/pizza oven things. It's a huge upgrade from the tiny hibachi. It should be here next month.

I do like good ribs and pulled pork--@Tubularbells what have you rubbed on those ribs?

Congrats you will love it!

As for the ribs I made up my dry rub comprising of

1/4 Cup Salt

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/4 Cup Smoked Paprika

1 tbsp Garlic Powder

1 tbsp Onion Powder

1 tbsp Black Pepper

1 tbsp Turmeric

1 tsp Cinnamon 

For ribs I set the pit to approx. 220f. I also use 2-3 apple wood chunks (not chips) which are buried deep into the charcoal to prevent premature burning. While the pit is coming up to temp I prep the ribs by removing any silver skin on the back and sprinkling the rub on (I dont use a binder such as oil or mustard as I find the rub sticks just fine without it)

I then cook to colour taking no notice of time (which can vary between 1-3 hours) to get to the colour i want which is nice golden brown/red. At this point I wrap in foil laying a few pieces of butter and a good sprinkling of brown sugar onto the foil and placing the ribs on top of it meat side down. I also add about a tbsp of apple juice to help keep everything moist. Wrap tightly and throw back on the grill.

You now are cooking for tenderness and due to the way our ribs are cut compared to the US having very little external meat I dont bother with thermometers so instead just use a toothpick to prick the meat between the bones and there done when it goes in like butter i.e no resistance at all.

The final step is optional but I like to do it and that is to throw the ribs back on the grill (foil removed) and coat the meat side with a layer of your favourite BBQ sauce and cook for a further 10-15mins until the sauce sets.

They are now ready to serve or you could wrap again and hold in a esky for a few hours until your ready to serve.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty good, very simple preparation. Salt and pepper, bit of olive oil in a cast iron pan super hot, squeeze of lemon at the end.

Wagyu-5.jpg

Wagyu-6.jpg

Wagyu-7.jpg

• Like 2
On 16/07/2018 at 3:05 PM, GregWormald said:

Hi all,

subscribe to the Kamado Joe You Tube channel which I've found invaluable in getting started https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUNok4R7jql2FTie7-26bw

Also for some Aussie flavour I've also tried a few recipes from here http://www.thebeardandthebbq.com/

I buy my lump charcoal and natural firelighters from Bunnings. DO NOT USE NORMAL FIRE LIGHTERS, they will wreck the taste of your food.

You will need to find a rub the family likes. Initially the 3 little pigs rub I bought from BBQs Galore was too spicy for the wife and kids so we now use a sweeter one, https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/sweet-rub-o-mine-bbq-rub

and this has worked very well with pork and beef, although I wouldn't describe it as sweet.

I've followed the the Kamado Joe 3-2-1 ribs technique twice now and everyone has been super impressed, so far the families favourite meal in the Kamado, but I really want to try this again http://www.thebeardandthebbq.com/pork/char-siu-pork-loin

but I'll do the first hotter part of the cook in our oven or in the Weber Q, as it takes a long time to cool down the Komado, heating up quickly is easy, but not going the other way...

• Thanks 1

Ribs on [emoji847]. Bought a whole loin from local Chinese wholesale butcher. Still expensive but wanted USA style ribs so had to cut them out myself. Will work out what to do with the rest while this is smoking away

IMG_5190.thumb.jpg.1ab3e6731030cefe688f3beba972d458.jpgIMG_5193.thumb.jpg.e9d23acdeae796b42c23732ef6eb5448.jpg

Temp is all over the shop because of the wind but should settle within the next hour as charcoal all gets lit evenly. I was a bit rushed getting them on in time so put meat on while fire was still spreading.

3 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped in foil then 1 hour out of foil while blasting in sauce

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chill3 said:

Sunday Lunch

Beef Shorties with balsamic / red wine / Worchestire sauce spritz

IMG_0282.jpg

Some nice bark there. How are you liking the ThermoWorks Smoke?  Ive got some shorties on as we speak although this time Im wrapping them 2 hours in with a bit of butter, brown sugar and beef stock to ensure they dont dry out as i pushing the cook for a hot and fast so there ready for dinner.

I'm heading home to use up the remnants of yesterdays Char Siu pork in a noodle soup with mini dim sims. My girls love it!

On 28/07/2018 at 11:03 AM, blybo said:

I buy my lump charcoal and natural firelighters from Bunnings.

Thanks for that. I've liked the natural firelighters for a while.

I did a search for lump charcoal and while Bunnings was cheaper, the cheapest was from Gaganis Bros (it's just a ways down the road to their warehouse) where red gum or mallee are under $30/18kg. I have yet to try it but it comes highly recommended on some of the BBQ sites.

So far the Joe is great, although it gets HOT much faster than I anticipated--370°C in less than 20 minutes. It was just right for the pizza! (When I asked the Neopolitan pizza maker how hot he got his wood oven the answer was 600°C. He threw the pizza into the oven and it was ready to go by the time he'd taken my cash.)

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Some nice bark there. How are you liking the ThermoWorks Smoke?  Ive got some shorties on as we speak although this time Im wrapping them 2 hours in with a bit of butter, brown sugar and beef stock to ensure they dont dry out as i pushing the cook for a hot and fast so there ready for dinner.

ThermoWorks is great, I have 2 so I can have two bbqs going at the same time ?

Just now, Chill3 said:

ThermoWorks is great, I have 2 so I can have two bbqs going at the same time ?

Whats better than one TW Smoke?.......2 of course! ?

Well done.

5 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Thanks for that. I've liked the natural firelighters for a while.

I did a search for lump charcoal and while Bunnings was cheaper, the cheapest was from Gaganis Bros (it's just a ways down the road to their warehouse) where red gum or mallee are under $30/18kg. I have yet to try it but it comes highly recommended on some of the BBQ sites.

So far the Joe is great, although it gets HOT much faster than I anticipated--370°C in less than 20 minutes. It was just right for the pizza! (When I asked the Neopolitan pizza maker how hot he got his wood oven the answer was 600°C. He threw the pizza into the oven and it was ready to go by the time he'd taken my cash.)

I can relate!

Last night, two pizzas on the barbie, full blast closed, only bottom heat, crunchy thin dough and nice and hot toppings without being burnt. Yum! My girls are only 6 and 8... I'll have a proper pizza factory by the time they're teenagers and invite their friends along... damn! No leftovers for today's lunch.

Cheers

Alberto

• 2 weeks later...

The Kamado has arrived, been assembled, and so far I've done:

a beer can chicken--quite nice,

pizza x2--great flavour but the crust needs work,

hamburgers--very nice,

and a really slow Boston Butt with Kamado Joe's special rub--best pork roast I've ever tasted!

Yum, I think I'm addicted.?

Edited by GregWormald
  • Like 2

Smelling good. Neighbours beginning to peer over the fence to see whats cooking! Really need @illusion's guidance on this new style of cook for me. Got the Saganaki  ready to grill once the meats done. 

Added bonus is having the instant hangover cure available by downing a souv. after a heavy session ?

IMG_3775.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells

I posted this in the Amazon Prime thread but I thought it would be suitable here too.

Amazon Prime has the Lodge charcoal grill for $130 with free Prime shipping. The grill normally costs around $300, and without Prime, it would cost $192 to ship. It's an itty bitty grill but still a good buy at that price.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534665618&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge

3 minutes ago, mikizee said:

I posted this in the Amazon Prime thread but I thought it would be suitable here too.

Amazon Prime has the Lodge charcoal grill for $130 with free Prime shipping. The grill normally costs around $300, and without Prime, it would cost $192 to ship. It's an itty bitty grill but still a good buy at that price.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534665618&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge

miki I am not sure if you saw my post, but I have that hibachi,

and got from bbq galore when they used to sell them at $49 so am not sure id ever pay $300 for one :D