Anyone else into BBQ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

That marbling is SUPERB! Bet it was melt in the mouth tender :thumb:

Right up there with the very best texture I've had in a steak. Perfect tenderness, very juicy (sous vide helps a lot in this regard), and a buttery mouth feel from the fat without being overly fatty/rich as some wagyu can. 

I'd never heard about sous vide until just now. Very very interesting.

Guys! I don't need any more hobbies!

@Zammo, did you put the whole piece of steak into the water and then (after the 4 hours) grilled it? Looks awesome!

Cheers,

Alberto

I'd never heard about sous vide until just now. Very very interesting.   Guys! I don't need any more hobbies!

[mention=109000]Zammo[/mention], did you put the whole piece of steak into the water and then (after the 4 hours) grilled it? Looks awesome!

Cheers,

Alberto

Yes Alberto. The whole piece was 1.2kg. Placed in a zip lock bag - air removed using the water displacement method. You then place the bag in the water bath. Removed from bag still warm after the 4 hours, split in to 3 pieces, then grilled. The meat looks a horrible gray colour after the sous vide. Definitely needs a grill or sear on a pan to look the goods.

• Like 1

Yeah sous vide is going to be the next step in my journey to food greatness. Gee this food stuff is beginning to get as expensive as Hi-Fi isnt it :P

• Like 2
Yeah sous vide is going to be the next step in my journey to food greatness. Gee this food stuff is beginning to get as expensive as Hi-Fi isnt it [emoji14]

I use an ANOVA sous vide stick. You whack it on any old pot or tub and turn it into a water bath. Not too expensive. The results have been extraordinary. It kinda feels like cheating it's just so consistent.
  • Like 1
Yeah sous vide is going to be the next step in my journey to food greatness. Gee this food stuff is beginning to get as expensive as Hi-Fi isnt it [emoji14]

Color me intrigued by the plastic bag method and happy to be test guinea pig at next GTG [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first crack at making sausages as well as a few "ring burner" salami's today. Sausages were pork with fennel, garlic, apple, leek, parsley and white wine. Must say they also taste pretty good for a first attempt.

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.d54a7004e9d9829195df589792e8875f.JPGIMG_2799.thumb.JPG.dbaa82c75c0dceac2d66be4e0820041c.JPGIMG_2804.thumb.JPG.4b8c29a08f8130c444ae0802d4286dd5.JPG

• Like 3

And back to dry ageing beef, gave the plastic tub the flick as it was doing more harm than good keeping way too much moisture in even though there was ventilation at the top (which I was compensating by burning through kilos of salt to keep humidity levels down) so now im back to the pyrex dish and at 2.5weeks in is looking fantastic. Lots of waxy bark on the outside and has shrunk considerably since it went in.

Vegematics look away now.... 

IMG_2795.JPG

• Like 1

Marinated 12hrs, Slow BBQ'd for 4hrs yesterday. Served shredded/thin strips on warm pita pockets (smeared with crushed tomatos and harissa) with couscous and a tomato and cucumber salad. Remaining meat was used on pizzas today. 

IMG_1022.JPG

Edited by frankn
Added info
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, frankn said:

Marinated 12hrs, Slow BBQ'd for 4hrs yesterday. Served shredded/thin strips on warm pita pockets (smeared with crushed tomatos and harissa) with couscous and a tomato and cucumber salad. Remaining meat was used on pizzas today. 

IMG_1022.JPG

Mmmmmm now we're talkin'

Can almost smell it from here :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 5:40 PM, Tubularbells said:

Mmmmmm now we're talkin'

Can almost smell it from here :thumb:

.....And it smells guuuuud!

• 6 months later...

Picked up a Pit Barrel Cooker yesterday and tonight was its first cook. Had a ton of BBQ's but all I can say is wow with this unassuming little unit. Not only did it exceed my expectations it has threatened the very existence of all my other three BBQ's some of which are five times the price of this inconspicuous little 33 gallon drum.

Truly a set and forget, I have to admit I struggled to not continuously monitor pit and meat temps like a hawk  and just let it do its thing. First cook was a couple of sacrificial chooks and going against the instructions I dutifully installed my Thermoworks Smoke to monitor pit and meat temps. Once you have the bottom vent set according to altitude the instructions said 2 hours for my chicken and sure enough I hit the ideal temp of 75C in 1 hour and 58 mins....AMAZING.

Also have to say I've cooked countless chooks using all kinds of cooking methods and have NEVER had such a flavourful and juicy chicken ever!

Best yet is that all this can be had for under $500. It's incredible! ......Buy it!!!!!!

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

• Like 7

@Tubularbells - looks fantastic ! :thumb:

Bit of a dry rub applied by the looks?

So your backyard is going to resemble a smokers graveyard with idle devices left to rust??!! :lol:

• Like 1

Y

10 minutes ago, evil c said:

@Tubularbells - looks fantastic ! :thumb:

Bit of a dry rub applied by the looks?

So your backyard is going to resemble a smokers graveyard with idle devices left to rust??!! :lol:

Chiseling tombstones as we speak mate....

• Like 1

Just like Hi-Fi sometimes you need a reality check to re-calibrate your compass and so far this underdog would be my recommendation to anyone after a top tier BBQ regardless of price. In fact this little drum has more capacity than my monstrous offset smoker, Kamado Joe and Weber Q combined! I could fit at least 4 chooks or approx 8 racks of ribs, 4 pork shoulders,  2 full packer briskets on this. Im still amazed...

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Just like Hi-Fi sometimes you need a reality check to re-calibrate your compass and so far this underdog would be my recommendation to anyone after a top tier BBQ regardless of price. In fact this little drum has more capacity than my monstrous offset smoker, Kamado Joe and Weber Q combined! I could fit at least 4 chooks or approx 8 racks of ribs, 4 pork shoulders,  2 full packer briskets on this. Im still amazed...

Having never run a smoker/cooker before, how does this work?

I'd imagine you would have to open it all the time if you're cooking different types/cuts of meat?

What do you use for the coals?

I usually burn heat beads, you regulate temps with the vents, less air, lower temp etc Takes practice but thats the fun of it.

As for opening and closing the bbq its not really an issue if you are only doing every couple of hours

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Having never run a smoker/cooker before, how does this work?

I'd imagine you would have to open it all the time if you're cooking different types/cuts of meat?

What do you use for the coals?

Although the Pit Barrel was designed to run on charcoal I reckon you could run it with pretty much anything. Unlike every other cooker I have owned this is a tru set and forget BBQ. Airflow is controlled by one vent at the bottom which you open according to altitude and doing so will result in temps around 270-320f. As temp is controlled by airflow/altitude and not fuel load the less air the lower the temp and longer the burntime. Following the instructions will result in burntimes of approx 7 hours so plenty of time without reload.

According to the manufacturer the barrel creates convection heat resulting in an even cook so no more hotspots to worry about and because of the hanging method juices run down the meat basting the bottom closest to the coals and is why you can hang hang large pieces of meat to within a few inches of the fire and it wont burn.

It also comes with a traditional grill grate if you dont want to hang the meet, useful when cooking steaks etc. in which case you cook with the lid off which results in high temps good for searing.

Also unlike most other styles of BBQ looking is encouraged so feel free to take a peak (and whiff) whenever you like. I paid particular attention to this and did find recovery time were the fastest id seen with temps coming back to full heat an less than a minute which by comparison takes around 5 mins on my offset smoker.

As for coals, Last night's cook was done with compressed coconut shells. It was my first time using this but everything went like clockwork. Heres what they looked like after a 2 hour cook. As you can see there's still plenty left for at least another 1-3 cooks.

IMG_3342.JPG

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Although the Pit Barrel was designed to run on charcoal I reckon you could run it with pretty much anything. Unlike every other cooker I have owned this is a tru set and forget BBQ. Airflow is controlled by one vent at the bottom which you open according to altitude and doing so will result in temps around 270-320f. As temp is controlled by airflow/altitude and not fuel load the less air the lower the temp and longer the burntime. Following the instructions will result in burntimes of approx 7 hours so plenty of time without reload.

According to the manufacturer the barrel creates convection heat resulting in an even cook so no more hotspots to worry about and because of the hanging method juices run down the meat basting the bottom closest to the coals and is why you can hang hang large pieces of meat to within a few inches of the fire and it wont burn.

It also comes with a traditional grill grate if you dont want to hang the meet, useful when cooking steaks etc. in which case you cook with the lid off which results in high temps good for searing.

Also unlike most other styles of BBQ looking is encouraged so feel free to take a peak (and whiff) whenever you like. I paid particular attention to this and did find recovery time were the fastest id seen with temps coming back to full heat an less than a minute which by comparison takes around 5 mins on my offset smoker.

As for coals, Last night's cook was done with compressed coconut shells. It was my first time using this but everything went like clockwork. Heres what they looked like after a 2 hour cook. As you can see there's still plenty left for at least another 1-3 cooks.

IMG_3342.JPG

Honestly, I’m half sold on this.  We were looking at a traditional Weber, but I think this would be a better option.

Does the compressed coconut shells impart a coconut flavour?  I’ve seen people use different wood chips (I think) in their smokers for different flavours - I take it you could use all of the smoker fuels in this?

what do you mean by altitude?

3 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

So, how do you 'turn them off' so to speak..............

I’m going to guess by saying close the vent...

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

So, how do you 'turn them off' so to speak..............

One of two ways. Either block intake and exhaust vents by jamming all gaps with foil or as I do by removing the firebox and placing it into an airtight metal container of some description (I just put mine in my Kamado Joe which had all vents closed.)

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Honestly, I’m half sold on this.  We were looking at a traditional Weber, but I think this would be a better option.

Does the compressed coconut shells impart a coconut flavour?  I’ve seen people use different wood chips (I think) in their smokers for different flavours - I take it you could use all of the smoker fuels in this?

what do you mean by altitude?

Webers are great but imo WAY overpriced for what you get. Both Webers and Pit Barrel cookers can provide amazing results  but really comes down to what you want to get out of it. Having both you already know what I'd rather be using not to mention you have 10x the food capacity if cooking for large gatherings.

The compressed coconut imparts no additional flavours and yes to add additional wook smoke flavor just throw on a handful of chips or 1-2 chunks of your favorite wood (I used 1 chunk of apple wood for the chicken).

As for altitude this determines how wide you crack the bottom vent as the higher you are the less oxygen so the requirement to open the vent wider to obtain the same heat level.

vents.jpg.9b154cc515a2f3529640b1aa2bb96ef6.jpg

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Webers are great but imo WAY overpriced for what you get. Both Webers and Pit Barrel cookers can provide amazing results  but really comes down to what you want to get out of it. Having both you already know what I'd rather be using not to mention you have 10x the food capacity if cooking for large gatherings.

The compressed coconut imparts no additional flavours and yes to add additional wook smoke flavor just throw on a handful of chips or 1-2 chunks of your favorite wood (I used 1 chunk of apple wood for the chicken).

As for altitude this determines how wide you crack the bottom vent as the higher you are the less oxygen so the requirement to open the vent wider to obtain the same heat level.

vents.jpg.9b154cc515a2f3529640b1aa2bb96ef6.jpg

Excellent info mate, thanks. 

I think this is a winner winner, smoked chicken dinner...

48 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

How hot does that barrel get?

Is it a hazard for kiddies and drunks?

Yep Barrel gets hot but not red hot. I could hold my finger on the top lid for about a sec before having to pull it off so at least if you were to accidentally touch it you wont get that sizzling bacon sound :lol:

• Like 2

Reverse sear that was. Looks like I’ve lucked it for my first use of a charcoal bbq and got a stable 150c for the slow bit...

35 minutes ago, blybo said:

Picked this this arvo. First cook has started a bit late but going t try a reverse seat of 2 Scotch fillets

image.jpg

Beer- Check

Meat - Check

BBQ - Check

All fundamentals in place, looks good mate. 

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2
brr

Beer- Check

Meat - Check

BBQ - Check

All fundamentals in place, looks good mate. 

Forgot to pick up some smoke chips/chunks but had some bourbon pellets so threw those in. Temp has crept 10c as I guess the coals get fully red hot. Closed both vents a tad more. This fun and good excuse to sit here with alfresco speakers on and beer in hand. On an evening like this I just need a fire pit now...

Just checked and I’ve left them too long. Internal temp at 60c so into some foil in the kitchen and Kamado to wide open vents. I believe I’m looking for around 300c to sear them?

Even though steaks were medium, just a touch of pink in the center, WOW, how much flavor

and super tender. My kids kept asking for more and were pinching mine. 

Wife was doubtful this purchase would get used regularly but one meal and I think she’s kicked the Weber q to the curb ?

image.jpg

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, blybo said:

Wife was doubtful this purchase would get used regularly but one meal and I think she’s kicked the Weber q to the curb ?

Right... so, what was your address again? :lol:

• Like 1