Tubularbells

Anyone else into BBQ?

Home cured maple/coffee bacon, smoked over cherry wood. Sliced, vac packed, and 2/3 into the freezer (the rest to be eaten during the week). Made from a 2.3kg free range belly.

b924f672861900044f1d28bd5148c586.jpg
d3c80d17f59fece9cc36ca38ab4370ac.jpg

2 hours ago, Zammo said:

Home cured maple/coffee bacon, smoked over cherry wood. Sliced, vac packed, and 2/3 into the freezer (the rest to be eaten during the week). Made from a 2.3kg free range belly.

b924f672861900044f1d28bd5148c586.jpg
d3c80d17f59fece9cc36ca38ab4370ac.jpg

Cos everything tastes better with........

Fabulous job sir!  :thumb:

No pic to back this up but had (Costco god bless you) pork back ribs on Saturday. 3 hours smoking with just a light sprinkling of

hswtrub.png

, 2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice, and finished for 1 hour unwrapped and basted in marinade/sauce, all at 250F give or take, over indirect heat.

It was so tender I couldn't pick it up with my long BBQ tongs without breaking up and a couple of rib bones just popped out of their own accord. Certainly the best I've done and the juiciest. In the past I've found this technique to produce excellent taste but can be a little dry if the cut of meat doesn't have enough fat. This 1 did but added a bit extra apple juice and OMG

was convinced by the wife given we are getting serious into the paella and especially how good it comes on the BBQ....that an upgrade of pan was worth considering .... far for me to say no... so made requisite purchase of proper spanish paella pan... thought id pick up their paella pack that comes wiht a few choice hard to get ingredients ....

as a note to be honest am not sure why pan will make much of a difference... this one is perhaps a tad heavier and instead of the aldi one being enamelled this is raw steel. not sure what difference that makes.... it will need seasoning for that reason... as authentic article its not that expensive at $35 but goes to show how good an aldi pan can be I guess at only $9 :D 

anyways  looks like we are set for another round of pealla and finding out of pan makes any difference or not :D 

0I9A0996.jpg

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

was convinced by the wife given we are getting serious into the paella and especially how good it comes on the BBQ....that an upgrade of pan was worth considering .... far for me to say no... so made requisite purchase of proper spanish paella pan... thought id pick up their paella pack that comes wiht a few choice hard to get ingredients ....

as a note to be honest am not sure why pan will make much of a difference... this one is perhaps a tad heavier and instead of the aldi one being enamelled this is raw steel. not sure what difference that makes.... it will need seasoning for that reason... as authentic article its not that expensive at $35 but goes to show how good an aldi pan can be I guess at only $9 :D 

anyways  looks like we are set for another round of pealla and finding out of pan makes any difference or not :D 

0I9A0996.jpg

wow, upping the ante there Al. Looking forward to the results!

BTW, your half moon place is with evil, sorry I didn't get a chance to clean it properly...

7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

wow, upping the ante there Al. Looking forward to the results!

BTW, your half moon place is with evil, sorry I didn't get a chance to clean it properly...

Thank you muchly :) am over his place tomorrow so will pick up. :) 

ohhh, i just splashed out today and got myself the kamado big joe and a few extras. 
Gets delivered on Saturday, so looking forward to start using the bugger.
Will frequent here to get some tips no doubt

it was not an easy task getting this bugger up a narrow flight of stairs and onto the balcony, let me tell you.
But its done, and ready for its first cook, but will have to wait 1 more week as i am on a fitness challenge at the moment :(

IMG_3465.thumb.JPG.42eeab32de68418c2d542cd33e3de10c.JPGIMG_3478.thumb.JPG.e45c1f74c6254b5ca04fae8ffe262c04.JPG

Awesome John, good choice going for the XL as I sometimes find my 18" classic a bit on the small side. Mines been neglected for far too long so fired it up a couple of nights ago to cook this. My charcoal of choice is the Heat Beads Hardwood Lump sold at Bunnings. A little sparky on startup but burns real consistent with long burn times and low ash.

20190606_180413.thumb.jpg.a84cdae3a365b21d1b6ea1a979741990.jpg 

20190606_181308.thumb.jpg.98af192a4fc261e88cd01ae90fc91f52.jpg

Was watching a vid on the new V3 Kamado's last night and they look great!

bigjoe-hero-mobile-1.jpg.3262a5c191c2525c0fd64ccd0217d6d6.jpg

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Awesome John, good choice going for the XL as I sometimes find my 18" classic a bit on the small side. Mines been neglected for far too long so fired it up a couple of nights ago to cook this. My charcoal of choice is the Heat Beads Hardwood Lump sold at Bunnings. A little sparky on startup but burns real consistent with long burn times and low ash.

20190606_180413.thumb.jpg.a84cdae3a365b21d1b6ea1a979741990.jpg 

20190606_181308.thumb.jpg.98af192a4fc261e88cd01ae90fc91f52.jpg

Was watching a vid on the new V3 Kamado's last night and they look great!

bigjoe-hero-mobile-1.jpg.3262a5c191c2525c0fd64ccd0217d6d6.jpg

I was originally going to go the 18" joe, but thought there will be times i would have loved the 24" so decided bugger it, and BBQ galore did me a very good deal.
Would have loved to waited for the V3, but apart from the new trolley and the sloroller, i cant see much difference. Can always purchase the sloroller separately at a later date.

Thats the exact coal i did go and grab, value seemed so much better then the kamado ones, only other thing i want to get is either the IKamand v2 or the flameboss like you have.

So looking forward to the first cook, did you season the kamado first before cooking in it, or no need at all.
Been reading mixed opinions on this one

IMO the KJ charcoal is a ripoff. I used to use it religiously till i saw the light tried the Heat Beads brand. Probably better stuff out there if you looked hard enough but for ease of purchase it will do me just fine.

As for seasoning, its not really required as theres no metal to season but I reckon its still a good idea just to burn of any potential nasties left over from the manufacturing process.  look forward to seeing pics of its maiden voyage 🖕

The KJ charcoal is indeed good and expensive. There is a fair amount of good and cheap out there too. There's no need to import charcoal from South America via the USA. Aussie mallee or red gum for me.

As for seasoning the KJ, by the time it's up to heat for the first roast or pizza or... it should be fine--mine was.