Tubularbells

Anyone else into BBQ?

Seems lambs on the menu today. Did 2 shoulders "Zorba" style. Came out  very nice.

20200306_113448.thumb.jpg.83db872088610204c381530cb1090e4a.jpg

20200306_133520.thumb.jpg.6b9ec4be99411db8bd5301ec7d5760ad.jpg

Posted (edited)

So not exactly BBQ, but I did use my Weber to hot smoke some home made bacon.

First time I have tried to make it. Came out way too salty, but I soaked it for 24 hrs and that seems to have done the trick. I had used a dry cure, but I think next time will be a wet cure and see which method I prefer.

I made BLT's for lunch with nice thick slices.

IMG_1295-1.thumb.JPG.5a3e38d083c46b40a7c5fb54aabf1aa4.JPGIMG_1298.thumb.JPG.7e5c3806bda8bb806fe89d6a5e7bd5ee.JPGIMG_1299-2.thumb.JPG.a66dfd831ba0dd9e7a407745c9e9c41a.JPG

Edited by John Doe

7 hours ago, John Doe said:

So not exactly BBQ, but I did use my Weber to hot smoke some home made bacon.

First time I have tried to make it. Came out way too salty, but I soaked it for 24 hrs and that seems to have done the trick. I had used a dry cure, but I think next time will be a wet cure and see which method I prefer.

I made BLT's for lunch with nice thick slices.

IMG_1295-1.thumb.JPG.5a3e38d083c46b40a7c5fb54aabf1aa4.JPGIMG_1298.thumb.JPG.7e5c3806bda8bb806fe89d6a5e7bd5ee.JPGIMG_1299-2.thumb.JPG.a66dfd831ba0dd9e7a407745c9e9c41a.JPG

Looks superb.👍

I also do a dry brine and don't find it too salty  Perhaps cured too long?

I do a 50:50 mix of raw sugar & salt along with some cure#2 for colour and to ensure no nasties inside.

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Looks superb.👍

I also do a dry brine and don't find it too salty  Perhaps cured too long?

I do a 50:50 mix of raw sugar & salt along with some cure#2 for colour and to ensure no nasties inside.

Thanks. I used a ratio 2:1 Salt/sugar and curing salt.  Possibly your recipe with equal parts salt and sugar offsets the saltiness?

I cured it for 7 days, which the instructions called for. Possibly too long since this section of the pork belly was not really thick. Maybe 1" to 1 1/2". As a beginner I was more worried about not curing long enough. I bought a full pork belly and cut it in half, so the other half, sitting in the freezer is a lot thicker.

Luckily soaking it for 24 hours sorted it. It turned out great. All part of the learning process I guess. :)

I will try a wet pickle next time just because I am curious, however the dry cure was very easy and convenient.

Posted (edited)

Tried something a bit different today.

Hard day in the office with the wind, fancy fan assistance with probes would have made life easier. 

Anyone pick the cut? 

IMG_0699.thumb.PNG.d5d6410ac1fb390c4ecb4be5ab9db806.PNG

IMG_0702.thumb.PNG.67f6cdcbf3ff9103ced4617e9fd5d9fd.PNG

IMG_0701.thumb.PNG.a0d57ad54d12cc02d2b430175bb20f5e.PNG

Brahman Hump 

Edited by Powerglide
Cut answer

I’ve managed a few average attempts but this is melt in the mouth delicious, hotdiggettydog!!

1DCCA949-8D48-4149-AB7E-B580DD21A4CC.jpeg

5CB2B734-9142-4DA7-BC59-F514BBA72AD3.jpeg

FFF8A150-1BA1-406E-8276-D86733AC7F37.jpeg

5099A853-9B64-4B65-B591-70B00B2C7778.jpeg

3 minutes ago, mtf said:

I’ve managed a few average attempts but this is melt in the mouth delicious, hotdiggettydog!!

1DCCA949-8D48-4149-AB7E-B580DD21A4CC.jpeg

5CB2B734-9142-4DA7-BC59-F514BBA72AD3.jpeg

FFF8A150-1BA1-406E-8276-D86733AC7F37.jpeg

5099A853-9B64-4B65-B591-70B00B2C7778.jpeg

Oh la la...😋😋

gosh we can't let this thread go cold ! isolation is a good reason to fire up the bbq :D 

well I dont need any excuses, I picked up a small stack of lamb chops (not sure the particular cut) as I normally get the little cutlets but this is all I could get,

IMG_1062.jpeg

hoping a nice easter sunday lunch for us. not something having done before on the webber Q any thoughts guys ? planning to indian style yoghurt marinade and leave for a day or two ! 3-4 min a side on medium heat am thinking ? or should I go high ?

On 14/03/2020 at 7:07 PM, Powerglide said:

Anyone pick the cut? 

No idea what they call it in English, looks to me like a Lendenkotelett,  number 7:

1600px-Schwein-Ganz_svg.png.11fd85d2a5128e066a69bf920714fe6f.png

Either that, or a prime cut of Wuhan bat 😆

Very lean, how did it turn out? I don't normally trust lean pork :) 

Not Bat or Pig 

the hump off a Brahman cow, treated it just like brisket and it tasted very similar but the texture was tighter. Made for an excellent cold cut.

great value but once the word gets out watch the price soar like every other cheap cut of meat has

10 hours ago, betty boop said:

gosh we can't let this thread go cold ! isolation is a good reason to fire up the bbq :D 

well I dont need any excuses, I picked up a small stack of lamb chops (not sure the particular cut) as I normally get the little cutlets but this is all I could get,

IMG_1062.jpeg

hoping a nice easter sunday lunch for us. not something having done before on the webber Q any thoughts guys ? planning to indian style yoghurt marinade and leave for a day or two ! 3-4 min a side on medium heat am thinking ? or should I go high ?

Hey Al, these are cut  from the lamb shoulder so will have more fat (and flavor than the regular rib chop. Definitely require a low-to medium cook temp otherwise they turn to leather and I like your idea of marinating which will also assist with tenderisation and juiciness....YUM!

I used the following recipe recently for lamb shoulder and turned out great. Even know it was for kebabs I reckon it would still be  awesome o  what you have. Give it a try if you dont have anything else in mind. 

20200409_071633.jpg

29 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Hey Al, these are cut  from the lamb shoulder so will have more fat (and flavor than the regular rib chop. Definitely require a low-to medium cook temp otherwise they turn to leather and I like your idea of marinating which will also assist with tenderisation and juiciness....YUM!

I used the following recipe recently for lamb shoulder and turned out great. Even know it was for kebabs I reckon it would still be  awesome o  what you have. Give it a try if you dont have anything else in mind. 

that recipe looks very yum too ! thanks for including .... am really eager to give it a go :D really appreciate identifying the cut of meat too ! thanks for identifying the cut as well, I knew someone like self who knows meat would come to rescue. Always good to know what actually eating :D wife says these are jumbo chops :D  will definitely cook these low to medium so as not to leatherise ... looking forward to more juicy version.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Powerglide said:

Not Bat or Pig 

the hump off a Brahman cow, treated it just like brisket and it tasted very similar but the texture was tighter. Made for an excellent cold cut.

great value but once the word gets out watch the price soar like every other cheap cut of meat has

Wow, I wouldn't have picked a cow...

Edited by Steffen

I got this recipe for marinated BBQ Lamb Shoulder off an Israeli Soldier, Covid had nothing on some of her stories. 

2 tbsp each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and sumac, plus extra sumac to serve

6 - 10 cloves of garlic crushed 

2 lemons, rind finely grated, lemons thinly sliced

3 tbsp olive oil

Pound coriander, spices, garlic, rind and 2 tsp fine sea salt with a mortar and pestle then mix in oil to form a paste. Tenderise meat with AK-47 (optional) and rub paste all over lamb. Put a layer of lemon slices in the bottom of a dish, lay the lamb on top and cover with more lemon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

BBQ on open flame, but as Doug said not too hot and definitely not too long. 

Goes good at any BBQ  with the normal fair, but you can go all out with a cuscus based salad and roasted Mediterranean veggies with balsamic vinegar. 

I have also tried cooking them this way, layer as per above in a casserole dish add a cup of water and slow bake, lid on, till tender - Australian tagine 

I’m brining a Boston butt at the moment, to be slow cooked for dinner tomorrow night. Haven’t quite decided on the rub yet...

21 hours ago, Powerglide said:

I got this recipe for marinated BBQ Lamb Shoulder off an Israeli Soldier, Covid had nothing on some of her stories. 

3 tbsp olive oil

Pound coriander, spices, garlic, rind and 2 tsp fine sea salt with a mortar and pestle then mix in oil to form a paste. Tenderise meat with AK-47 (optional) and rub paste all over lamb. Put a layer of lemon slices in the bottom of a dish, lay the lamb on top and cover with more lemon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

Goes good at any BBQ  with the normal fair, but you can go all out with a cuscus based salad and roasted Mediterranean veggies with balsamic vinegar. 

I have also tried cooking them this way, layer as per above in a casserole dish add a cup of water and slow bake, lid on, till tender - Australian tagine 

love sounds of this.... even without ak47 :D 

have the mortar and pestle to give suitable pounding ! 

will keep this recipe for another time as definitely want to give a go.... perhaps when whole family can get togther again. would be a great match I agree with cous cous and mediterranean char grilled vegies

given doug's TBs recipe a go this time... we might grill some veggies while at it and do cous cous as well 

23 hours ago, Powerglide said:

3 tbsp olive oil

Very similar style and ingredients used in Turkey whilst I was there. Less the AK47 of course. I presume the Uzi is too light to use as an alternate to the AK in this case.

On 09/04/2020 at 7:56 AM, betty boop said:

that recipe looks very yum too ! thanks for including .... am really eager to give it a go :D really appreciate identifying the cut of meat too ! thanks for identifying the cut as well, I knew someone like self who knows meat would come to rescue. Always good to know what actually eating :D wife says these are jumbo chops :D  will definitely cook these low to medium so as not to leatherise ... looking forward to more juicy version.

whoa ..... !!!!!

gave your recipe for the lamb a go @Tubularbells, marinating a couple of days .... came up an absolute treat !!!!

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

juicy juicy scrumptious !!!!

do loose quite a bit of heat loading them on.... so ended up pretty much high heat..... though quite thin pieces anyhow...

and gosh juicy delicious... best lamb we have had yet ! what a cracker of a cut ! 

only sad part we usually have whole family over for easter so missed that aspect... but I dont think this would have been enough to feed the lot anyways :D 

what a nice cut. discovery by accident for me.... will be doing this again, BIG hit with the family !!! :) 

ps only change I made to your recipe Doug was I chopped finely half a large chilli...seeds removed. also rather than buzz the stuff up in the processor I jsut hand chopped all the ingredients...was jsut enough to coat the 8 lamb shoulder chops....

and oh yeah bit of a clean up of the bbq after ... but well worth it ....

Because bacon makes everything better (Especially during these current times)!

Cured some pork belly using a simple salt/sugar cure along with a few herbs from the garden thrown in for good measure. Put in the fridge for a week, rinsed and then smoked for approx.3 hours.  Sliced this morning and am now in a bacon coma!  😍😍

bacon3.jpg

bacon2.jpg

bacon1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:
Because bacon makes everything better (Especially during these current times)!

Cured some pork belly using a simple salt/sugar cure along with a few herbs from the garden thrown in for good measure. Put in the fridge for a week, rinsed and then smoked for approx.3 hours.  Sliced this morning and am now in a bacon coma!  😍😍

bacon3.jpg

bacon2.jpg

bacon1.jpg

Bacon makes everything better.

Man I could go a bacon butty right now..

18 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Man I could go a bacon butty right now..

My farts are going to oink with all ive consumed today 🤣

New WiFi controller for my smoker finally arrived after waiting over 6 months so going to be a busy couple of days for me it seems.

20200417_104401.jpg

20200417_104933.jpg

Silly question time: Is it that easy to make bacon from a piece of belly pork?

I'm worried if it isn't cured enough someone may get ill.

I have 4 pork belly joints in the freezer all around the 1 to 1.25 Kg mark, worth a try?

38 minutes ago, Batty said:

Silly question time: Is it that easy to make bacon from a piece of belly pork?

I'm worried if it isn't cured enough someone may get ill.

I have 4 pork belly joints in the freezer all around the 1 to 1.25 Kg mark, worth a try?

2 ways you can do it, wet or dry brine. Wet involves submerging it in a salt/sugar solution for a period of time and dry is basically just covering the belly in a salt/sugar cure. With both of these methods you need to paty attention to the time you "cure" as they can become too salty but if your a few days over to can always soak in fresh water for a few hours to leach some of the salt back out.

Another foolproof method is whats called an equilibrium brine. This method uses a precise amount of cure per kg of meat making it impossible to over cure the meat.

If its your first time id suggest you go here as it will give you the precise amounts based on what you have via its handy calculator.

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=561