Anyone else into BBQ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Little fathers day present to myself.      

Got a ham on the smoker as we speak. Brined for 7 days, rinsed & put uncovered into the fridge for 24 hours to set before going into the smoker using a mix of oak, hickory & apple wood.

7 hours in and it's just about done.

20201224_134512.thumb.jpg.c0e4302882d37b5bc912e46dd784e8e7.jpg

20201224_134527.thumb.jpg.06741755afd0f7e6b237e123e408dbef.jpg

• Love 3
On 24/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, Tubularbells said:

Got a ham on the smoker as we speak. Brined for 7 days, rinsed & put uncovered into the fridge for 24 hours to set before going into the smoker using a mix of oak, hickory & apple wood.

7 hours in and it's just about done.

Any pics of it cut?

• 1 month later...

I love a bit of bbq. Here’s a nice pulled pork - delicious 

FA5A6FE3-10CC-4CEB-9A31-809E4CE4CDD7.jpeg

2141F796-4820-4142-83EC-5D079225C9F5.jpeg

9E25EE6D-91EC-4B5D-8FAB-2464B1B2F754.jpeg

9F776657-0939-45CF-BEDE-DC760386FA09.jpeg

FCE81BA4-9802-4D7A-802B-382180D09007.jpeg

• Like 1

And something a little different- paella on the charcoal barbie. Mmmmmmmm

0DD50C49-B564-42F3-9C3C-3D57AFCADFB9.jpeg

F79D1909-C6FC-4564-8CFD-B183889EBDFC.jpeg

3FD6482A-E489-4C1C-BE6E-D1EDE59881CB.jpeg

933FE4F1-6AD5-445A-B2B1-0ED993E644A2.jpeg

6FEBF292-B611-453D-AAD0-45FB0DD6E1BF.jpeg

Hmmm - might have to fix the orientation later - wifey keeps talking to me.,..

Sorry about the pics, I’ve tried to fix but no joy. Reported myself, mods might be able to help. Poor upside down paella...

Edited by Mr_B
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.

Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid down for 15 minutes.

IMG_1466 barramundi.JPG

• Like 9
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, warweary said:

Fresh Barramundi

How do you source this in southern states? Barra is my wife's fav fish but she won't even order it at top Melb restaurants... only when we are in FNQ. She says it tastes way too "fishy" :blush: down here.

Just now, blybo said:

How do you source this in southern states? Barra is my wife's fav fish but she won't even order it at top Melb restaurants... only when we are in FNQ. She says it tastes way too "fishy" :blush: down here.

I'm in Melbourne and generally buy fish (inc Barramundi)  from the Victoria Markets in the CBD.

12 minutes ago, blybo said:

in mount barker...

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Scotch fillet from Otway Meats brought back .

Simple - rubbed with Olive oil, salt and black pepper 4 mins a side on the Weber. 

Served with Gravy, Potato wedges and salad.

Probably one of the tenderist, juiciest steaks I've ever had! 

20210228_193228.jpg

20210228_193344.jpg

• Like 4
On 16/02/2021 at 4:16 PM, blybo said:

Barra is the most farmed fish species in Asia after Bassa(Mekong Catfish) and both are regularly available at the big 2 supermarkets even down in Bleak City.

Neil you need to look for 'fresh' and 'wild caught' and not Australian farmed (usually from WA) and stay well away from any Asian based farmed Barra(Viet/Thai and Laos are the main suppliers).

Wild caught fresh Barra does regularly come up at the big two so you just need to keep an eye open.

Wild caught is usually 3 days from net to distribution with the majority coming from the Gulf.

It's an overrated fish and sits at about 6 on the top ten in northern Aus on both sides of the country.

But if Coles and W oolies are your source of fresh fish then it's way superior to any frozen thawed fish and certainly better than Bassa or Hoki.

If you and the wife get to FNQ again then ditch the Barra for one of the many species that are far superior in taste and texture.

On 28/02/2021 at 8:13 PM, Luc said:

Barra is the most farmed fish species in Asia after Bassa(Mekong Catfish) and both are regularly available at the big 2 supermarkets even down in Bleak City.

Neil you need to look for 'fresh' and 'wild caught' and not Australian farmed (usually from WA) and stay well away from any Asian based farmed Barra(Viet/Thai and Laos are the main suppliers).

Wild caught fresh Barra does regularly come up at the big two so you just need to keep an eye open.

Wild caught is usually 3 days from net to distribution with the majority coming from the Gulf.

It's an overrated fish and sits at about 6 on the top ten in northern Aus on both sides of the country.

But if Coles and W oolies are your source of fresh fish then it's way superior to any frozen thawed fish and certainly better than Bassa or Hoki.

If you and the wife get to FNQ again then ditch the Barra for one of the many species that are far superior in taste and texture.

:thumb:

The wife is very picky about her seafood. I baked snapper fillets from our fish monger last week. Nup, not a firm enough texture. She basically only eats overcooked flattie tails, salmon or calamari when home. Even the local fishmongers source farmed salmon down here so it's increasingly difficult to get wild caught if there is a farmed alternative. I must venture back to the Queen Vic market soon to see if I can source wild caught there. Checked my local coles last night and the Barra was farmed but I'll keep an eye out.  From what I understand the farmed Salmon doesn't have the omega 3 that many people eat it for, it is higher in omega 6 which is not beneficial.

I'll be targeting Bream and Flathead over the weekend with my daughter, but all the bream will be catch and release. It's great she is getting in to fishing, but it's cost me a small fortune to update all my tackle from 20ish years back.

Finish off putting together my PID charcoal bbq temp controller.  I like to tinker and cost under $100 to make. Its on its maiden voyage. It's not cooking meat, just running it in learning mode for this run.

Looks like a brisket on the weekend😁

20210304_122703.jpg

20210304_122620.jpg

20210304_122605.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, glenm64 said:

Finish off putting together my PID charcoal bbq temp controller.  I like to tinker and cost under $100 to make. Its on its maiden voyage. It's not cooking meat, just running it in learning mode for this run.

Looks like a brisket on the weekend😁

20210304_122703.jpg

20210304_122620.jpg

20210304_122605.jpg

Nice! 

Pid for the barbie is on my list. Got any info on what you used and where from?

Edit: Inkbird pid is self explanatory, more interested in fan/relay/wiring etc. Relay might not be required- I’m more familiar with that for brewing setup.

Edited by Mr_B

Pid? please explain

It’s a fuzzy logic controller to keep temp to a set value. So basically in this application, would blow the fan harder when far below the set temp, and blow softly or not at all if close/at/above set temp. Great devices.

Technically they are a proportional integral derivative controller - the maths achieves the above.

Cheers Mr B.

I used an Inkbird ICT 100RL controller. Its a LV model with inbuilt relay.
The thermocouple connects via a 6.5mm jack.
I used a PWM speed controller on the fan because I dont want it to blow any ash around. I could have used a smaller J box, but it isn't too big. It will sit under the bbq.
I got the idea via a bbq forum page.0

20210304_165657.jpg

20210304_165644.jpg

20210304_165724.jpg

Edited by glenm64
Edit
  • Like 2

Lovely, thanks for info and pics, nice job. Mind me asking what fan you used, and whether it came with the housing?

Time for me to make one up so I don’t have to sit and watch the temp 😂

The adaptor seller on Fleabay had several options available. Seller was called "trustedinventer". He was helpful with my questions.

It came with a plate and lock nuts for the threaded part. I cut down the plate to fit in the air draft slide on my bbq.

It has a flapper valve in it to stop draft when the fan isnt running, choking the draft making temp control easier.

A 7530 fan fits perfectly in it.

Screenshot_20210304-190151.png

Edited by glenm64
Edit
  • Like 1

Awesome mate thanks for all the info 👍🙂

Well the Meat Master 1 Million worked a treat.

Bear brisket 2 hrs @ 140 for a crust then 5 hrs @ 125 covered.

Resting now for 1 hr wrapped.

It felt really soft and gooy inside, all the gelatinous goo is rendered down and is my favourite thing with a brisket.

The fluid(bourbon, garlic, bay leaves, and stock) will be gravy too.

20210307_110031.jpg

20210307_125704.jpg

20210307_125849.jpg

20210307_154723.jpg

20210307_163744.jpg

• Like 4

Yummo 👏

Must be very satisfying that the controller worked well too

Edited by Mr_B

Wife left the bbq gas on overnight... it ran out. 😥

I'm glad it didn't blow up or catch on fire.

26 minutes ago, warweary said:

Wife left the bbq gas on overnight... it ran out

That would make Hulk sad...That would make Hulk mad...

"Hulk smash"

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Dunno why I dont get updates to this thread as it seems ive been missing out on some very nice food p@rn!

Haven't been doing a lot of cooking recently although I did pick up another new BBQ  a few weeks ago. This one's what's known as a gravity feed smoker whereby you fill a chute with either charcoal and/or wood chunks, set the intake vent and gravity and airflow determine the temperature of the smoke cabinet (which in this case is 2" thick) so very well insulated but also very heavy weighing in around 400 kilo's.

20210228_133813.thumb.jpg.0ea8f7d1daa173adf4cca30f592af5bf.jpg

20210304_144143.thumb.jpg.69fd2b2660d14e60b0a97ff95503c878.jpg

20210304_144135.thumb.jpg.7f60650b5c7f763ac12de5bfa24e8cef.jpg

20210228_134609.thumb.jpg.b0a2d1fdf2f3f05389d7314760898fb2.jpg

20210304_144058.thumb.jpg.4adbfd3eb8ff1f383cc5a6cd6024b2e2.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, Powerglide said:

Heineken........ great feature 

If only it made beer at the same time!!!

If you didnt say it was a smoker, it could be mistaken for a turbo charged refrigerator on wheels🤣

Thats one serious bbq T.B.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week's effort, Lamb leg Butterflied marinated overnight Greek style.

On the Weber Q for around 45 mins with smoker boxes and wood chips.

Leftover marinade tipped over in final 15 mins. 

Used with new dual temperature gadget with remote monitor,  love it!!

20210320_140453.thumb.jpg.3d5ed7f261f6b5a67350ca04d1141e4c.jpg

20210320_140446.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great. And I decided to make pumpkin soup tonight. Sigh....

• Haha 1
On 13/03/2021 at 5:23 PM, Tubularbells said:

If only it made beer at the same time!!!

TB if you and others are after a temp controller that can do ramped control over time then instead of PID controllers like you've been using that you have to move the desired temp up or down occasionally, by moving up a notch, to a ramping type controller instead, these can be had with just one program set up to those that hold many recipes. By program I mean some thing like this for instance...... step one start at ambient temp and over say 1.5 hour go to 60 C, then hold that temp for say 30 mins, then move up to say 90 C for another 3 hours then hold for another 4 hours, the lastly for this artificial cook go down to 55C for 2 hours, then switch off. The steps are simply the number of changes you want over time for a particular cook/ menu item, over about 8-10 steps the controllers generally start to cost more. Programs are the number of recipes it can store, the more stored the more expensive the controller. PID is a way of using set but adjustable variables to give greater accuracy through out the cook, Fuzzy Logic controllers on the other hand generally is a method of continuously adjusting variables to give a similar effect cooking wise. Often the controllers using relay outputs are simply using an on -off switch effect to stop or start the device that's connected and thus the control will be less accurate but may not be detectable in the mouth!. A lot of the controllers have alarm features too which can be set to switch on /off at a preset temperature either above or below the actual set temperature and by this means possible alert the chef to a problem like low gas pressure for instance. These types of controllers still using plug in thermocouples as the temp sensing device. Some ramping controllers can have an End switch operate so as to be used to shut down the cooker etc if desired when the cook is finished, obviously the food going to go cold if it finishes and your not around to collect! Hopefully this will add to some level of knowledge on the temp controller stories.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

TB if you and others are after a temp controller that can do ramped control over time then instead of PID controllers like you've been using that you have to move the desired temp up or down occasionally, by moving up a notch, to a ramping type controller instead, these can be had with just one program set up to those that hold many recipes. By program I mean some thing like this for instance...... step one start at ambient temp and over say 1.5 hour go to 60 C, then hold that temp for say 30 mins, then move up to say 90 C for another 3 hours then hold for another 4 hours, the lastly for this artificial cook go down to 55C for 2 hours, then switch off. The steps are simply the number of changes you want over time for a particular cook/ menu item, over about 8-10 steps the controllers generally start to cost more. Programs are the number of recipes it can store, the more stored the more expensive the controller. PID is a way of using set but adjustable variables to give greater accuracy through out the cook, Fuzzy Logic controllers on the other hand generally is a method of continuously adjusting variables to give a similar effect cooking wise. Often the controllers using relay outputs are simply using an on -off switch effect to stop or start the device that's connected and thus the control will be less accurate but may not be detectable in the mouth!. A lot of the controllers have alarm features too which can be set to switch on /off at a preset temperature either above or below the actual set temperature and by this means possible alert the chef to a problem like low gas pressure for instance. These types of controllers still using plug in thermocouples as the temp sensing device. Some ramping controllers can have an End switch operate so as to be used to shut down the cooker etc if desired when the cook is finished, obviously the food going to go cold if it finishes and your not around to collect! Hopefully this will add to some level of knowledge on the temp controller stories.

My old Yoder YS1500 ACS had this feature (made by Fireboard Labs) but after initially playing around with multi step programs I found I did not need  any of this as im typically cooking at the same temp throughout the cook (although if pushed for time i do sometimes bump up the temp after wrapping the meat) however the drop temp to xx after the meat probe has reaches your desired level of doneness is a great feature to not ruin the cook if its done in the wee hours of the morning.

Was doing some testing on the unit im running now as it has a couple of cool features like being able to set the max fan speed when the probe reaches 85% and 95% of the pit temp so that it doesn't overshoot and as mines an insulated cabinet smoker it takes forever to drop temps if you go too high (Kamado or other ceramic egg type cookers will also know what im talking about as these have the same issue) but I have noticed if I drop the fans max speed to anything lower than 20% it hasn't got the power to fire up again from standstill which is a bit disappointing but other than that I think it a awesome little controller.

https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/Tempmaster-Pro-Automatic-Smoker-Temperature-Control

But what I miss most is the ability to chart and store each and every cook so you can go back and check cook times based on the protein & set temp. Also invaluable whenever I have a health safety inspection or if (god forbid) someone gets sick from one of my cooks as I have it all automatically documented so with that im planning on grabbing a new Fireboard Drive 2 controller sometime soon.

https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/Fireboard-2-Drive-Kit-Smoker-Temperature-Monitor-Controller-FBX2D

image.png.f32431463288994fb60a8a0dd6c50bf1.png

• Like 1

Phew - thought I post something about a dry and wet rub pork rib barbecue feed I conjured up after watching 2 Hairy Bikers.  Nope - you guys are in another league.  But if there is an omelette thread I might venture warily into that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mutatis Mutandis said:

Phew - thought I post something about a dry and wet rub pork rib barbecue feed I conjured up after watching 2 Hairy Bikers.  Nope - you guys are in another league.  But if there is an omelette thread I might venture warily into that.

Personally id love you to throw some pics of your cooks up on this thread Alan and anyone who tells you they're an expert cook or whatever is just flat out lying or is living in la la land as we are all learning and sharing our experiences here good, bad or downright ugly 🤣

Thanks for pumping up the ole tyres Doug, very gentlemanly of you!   If we have another crack at it I'll get the young'n to do the pics.  But seriously; my prep time has only ever been measure in hours, not days ...

Edited by Mutatis Mutandis
  • Like 1

It’s not uncommon for things to go ‘wrong’ in a cook, and always interesting to hear the experience. Post away!

@Tubularbells how is the volume os smoke emitted from this new unit compared to you pellet smoker? More neighbour friendly or same same?

8 hours ago, mtf said:

@Tubularbells how is the volume os smoke emitted from this new unit compared to you pellet smoker? More neighbour friendly or same same?

Both burn very clean fires so smoke output is minimal. Im still experimenting with the ProQ  so have been filling the chute with a mix of Mallee root charcoal and iron bark wood chunks as well as adding a few splits to the ash pan to smoulder.

20210328_071518.thumb.jpg.ec5cc5849cb0442bf860b1d1521ad7c2.jpg

The Mallee charcoal is all over the place size wise though with chunks like this appearing every now and then.

20210328_071622.thumb.jpg.e90fe7d5112e7f98dfaa9f7385b8e226.jpg

• Like 1