Anyone else into BBQ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

@Tubularbells

Stumbled upon your now famous 'devils wing chicken' recipe and boy did you knock this one out of the park for taste and crowd satisfaction and enjoyment etc etc...

Sorry, no pics as these were devoured seriously quickly 👍

• Love 1
1 hour ago, STROP said:

@Tubularbells

Stumbled upon your now famous 'devils wing chicken' recipe and boy did you knock this one out of the park for taste and crowd satisfaction and enjoyment etc etc...

Sorry, no pics as these were devoured seriously quickly 👍

That's great to hear. I smoking some devil wings tonight as a matter of fact!

• Like 1

Made 10kg of Kranskys today using a 70/30 pork beef ratio which worked out to be one pork shoulder, one pork neck and 1 flat of a brisket. Decided to put a good helping of carolina reaper chilli infused Gouda my sister made for me into half the batch and smoked for 2 hours on a hickory/apple wood blend until 65C.

20201012_091630.thumb.jpg.b4fc1f1b66dabcc98b960fb412670acc.jpg

20201012_091737.thumb.jpg.830aac7b0299bb5ef0bf6768db5680fb.jpg

20201012_091847.thumb.jpg.b07bd9eb7c9a0fa7d74ed1bbf2cd9ac7.jpg

20201012_154202.thumb.jpg.258436d604ac0ca77cb5b91d5353b754.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here experienced with pellet smokers?

I think I want one. I like the control and allows us to cook low and slow. We dont own a BBQ at the moment. I can see us buying a spit too.

.....so I went for a browse today...

It would seem to me that the only well made brand on the market is Yoder (not happening, WAY too expensive).

I've seen Pittboss in Bunnings, went into a Weber store to look at their new model, BBQ Galore with Traeger, Yoder, and some other brand, oh that's right, GMG.

So given they all pretty much seem to be made from the same garbage materials I think the Pitt Boss is the go (waiting for their new 1100 to come out). I can get 2.5 pitt bosses for the price of one weber....5 v 10 year warranty aside

Any comments or thoughts on my musings above?

The other option.....in typical form....is DIY....fark, my wife will kill me (our home isn't finished for example). I reckon I could build one better, cheaper

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

The other option.....in typical form....is DIY....fark, my wife will kill me (our home isn't finished for example). I reckon I could build one better, cheaper

It really doesn't matter what it costs to buy a quality unit, if you use it.

Every time you use it, you get your money back.

Better quality gets used more often, so it's actually cheaper.

And who needs more crap in their life, just coz it's cheaper!?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

I think I want one. I like the control and allows us to cook low and slow. We dont own a BBQ at the moment. I can see us buying a spit too.

It would seem to me that the only well made brand on the market is Yoder (not happening, WAY too expensive).

I've seen Pittboss in Bunnings, went into a Weber store to look at their new model, BBQ Galore with Traeger, Yoder, and some other brand, oh that's right, GMG.

So given they all pretty much seem to be made from the same garbage materials I think the Pitt Boss is the go (waiting for their new 1100 to come out). I can get 2.5 pitt bosses for the price of one weber....5 v 10 year warranty aside

Something slightly different, maybe worth considering -

https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/pit-barrel-cooker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqaPKvs3W7AIVTA4rCh2mcQhAEAQYASABEgLDmPD_BwE

My only experience with pellet smokers is with my Yoder YS1500s however unless you have  a large family or do catering (as I do/did)  then dropping approx. $15k on a BBQ such as this is a waste.

If your looking at set and forget solutions id also be looking as gravity feed charcoal systems such as the new Masterbuilt Gravity Charcoal BBQ as there getting some great reviews also.

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2

I've eaten some good food off an electric pellet smoker as a guest, but to me it's cheating, one step up from buying takeaway. It's not BBQ without flames.

if it's the hassle of controlling temp with a traditional offset, the fan assist probes on the market can make life easier (it's cheating too but I can live with it) 

A cheap rig will last ages if you look after it by

- clean the ash out after every cook (it attracts moisture)

- never use the cooking chamber as a direct heat grill

- use a cover and store out of the weather 

- after summer I wire brush the fire box and spray with potbelly paint. 

I had a cheap Landmann $299 that lasted nine years and it would hold 225 for 6-7 hours without needing attention, My new Hark at 5 times the price is finicky as Fark and took about 10 cooks to tame. 

To me BBQ is fun and a bit of an art I don't see the skill in "turning on" the BBQ and watching TV. No offence intended, I'd still eat your food if you invite me over 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Powerglide said:

"turning on" the BBQ and watching TV. No offence intended, I'd still eat your food if you invite me over

LOL, thanks for the feedback, its helpful.....no TV here. As my wife tells people, I have three full time jobs. I typically just tell people I have two, because it sounds a bit stupid otherwise. I like the romance of an offset, but it'd never get used.

3 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

And who needs more crap in their life, just coz it's cheaper!?

I wouldn't call a $1,000 BBQ "cheap". My observation today was there was ZERO discernible difference between a $900 model and a $2500 model....that's what I was trying to work out.

12 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

I wouldn't call a $1,000 BBQ "cheap". My observation today was there was ZERO discernible difference between a $900 model and a $2500 model....that's what I was trying to work out.

I was talking in general terms, rather than be specific to a product.

Family reunion after several months calls for good food. 

Marinated Asian fusion Chicken Thigh, Greek marinated Lamb Backstraps and homemade Beef/ Chicken Chevapi all cooked over coals .

Served with Corn Tart, spicy Fried rice and salad.

20201101_141812.jpg

20201101_144603.jpg

FB_IMG_1604219428087.jpg

FB_IMG_1604219927566.jpg

Edited by evil c
  • Like 4
On 28/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, Peter the Greek said:

I’ve ended up with a GMG, unfortunately I had a few electrical problems with it early on but the importer “Hark Enterprises” have been extremely helpful in resolving the issues and now it runs a treat!

I really enjoy using it and what a great feeling it is when you “nail it!” Not every time for me at this stage mind you but getting better.

The pizza oven attachment is great too!

None of this was on my radar till Doug purchased his Yoder and those cook up photos certainly piqued my interest, so cheers to you TB, I’m a convert🤘

• Like 1
On 25/09/2020 at 6:49 PM, Tubularbells said:

Coat wings in mayo , apply a generous amount of rub and put back in fridge for at least 4 hours. Grill/smoke for about 1 hour and  presto. Did another batch yesterday but sadly no pics taken. Give it a try and tell me what you think?

I'll tell you in 4 hours. I've used a fairly generic rub as I'm serving up tonight as kids party food. I've just put em back in the fridge to marinate. Does the mayo work in a similar way as buttermilk does with chicken to keep it super juicy? Or it just a way to hold the rub in?

F57679B1-449B-466F-918E-9E952F11889D_1_105_c.jpeg.8883d1a1f3305ceeca0964e7683a896c.jpeg

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, blybo said:

Does the mayo work in a similar way as buttermilk does with chicken to keep it super juicy? Or it just a way to hold the rub in?

Not 100% sure but think It might work in a similar way to brining but with the added acid to also help tenderize a bit but your also correct in that it's a great binder for the rub to adhere to.

42 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Not 100% sure but think It might work in a similar way to brining but with the added acid to also help tenderize a bit but your also correct in that it's a great binder for the rub to adhere to.

I’ve actually used your recipe with buttermilk as well as Mayo.

Buttermilk brings the spice into the chicken and makes it super juicy - but you don’t get the ‘fried chicken’ coating. Mayo makes more of a coating, and slightly tenderises while making the meat a bit tart - kind of like lemon in a chicken marinade.

Mayo gives you that awesome contrast of flavours and textures - buttermilk blends it all together.

Both are equally as good - I just made another batch of each version.

Edited by Guest
23 hours ago, mtf said:

None of this was on my radar till Doug purchased his Yoder and those cook up photos certainly piqued my interest, so cheers to you TB, I’m a convert🤘

Yeah, that started me too.....then I joined a bunch of groups on Facebook Groups and get bombed daily by good looking food

• Like 1

Had some hungry lads over for a darts tournament broke out my standard Boston Butt and fat Beef sausages, tricked it up with Dougs Wings and some Fijian Vakalolo Mussels, first time I’ve done them in the smoker, sensational. Paired with Kakoda

19DFAD71-04EF-4201-B24C-760FE8C884C4.thumb.jpeg.c522fb5e42f36ac23ebad66a1595e789.jpeg

Pretty much the same as starting any curry but add coconut cream instead of meat, careful to get salt balance right. The trick is to salt the cream to taste before adding to the curry paste 

1BF4A338-B2FE-421C-8098-9B746E352E03.thumb.png.b30cdd88b50e20a713923735f6ccacfe.png

ladle over raw mussels 

66D831D0-F60F-48AB-94A2-83C4B2AE453D.thumb.png.8b970c0633b20de5ceba8e0fc33d7b2f.png

In the offset coved till just done 25min 

3F411C14-34BF-4FA1-8890-600DA058433E.thumb.png.29028e1badfc355efe8bd3e3f4442f41.png

90CAA9DA-39C7-4792-BCC7-E6552DBDB645.thumb.png.977ed2d3e8fb4098b92cb50424631f5f.png

7B7FFCE2-D734-414F-8855-331CD82B557B.thumb.png.dc0f0b99803e41fbb741c32a03773ad8.png

Bledisloe could have gone better 

• Like 3

so i'm wanting to get into more BBQ so I hope I can pick your collective brains regarding what to invest in.  

I don't currently own BBQ but we're moving into a new house early next year with the kitchen space being upstairs and opening onto a 6x3m balcony overlooking the neighbourhood. so I plan to use that frequently for you everyday meals but with something than can scale up to handle larger get togethers and grillaxing. the balcony has a gas line plumbed in. 

At the same time I'd like to dabble more in coals, smoking and slow cooking etc. 

here's the kicker, my wife is one of those pescaterian types so seafood is the only flesh she's into (although I had her eating a yellow curry with crocodile once), but this doesn't mean walking or flying animal is of the menu for me. so there's a bit of consideration for veggie and fish based cooking.

I think I'm looking at a 3-4 gas burner with a decent hood for indirect cooking. then maybe also get a simple webber / kettle style option to start out with for coal based cooking. we'll have a second lower floor balcony that comes off the "listening" room so I might situate this BBQ there.  

At the same time I've seen a few "hybrid" gas-coal combos, and some where rocks are placed between the gas burner and the grill. Are these worth looking into? 

any advises will be greatly appreciated

ACtC-3cIFHspj95zHsMGCAnKMVCQSNTC0IP6Odk3iVsS3n81JVTutKpKJMaAVtgqYAC8G0_UYJLDGn5udenBbvWs56x3r6t3cQDHB48mbNrnMXzTZPeLyr9qg55cqGahRX1i8I6u_Weo5V5hIw9QX55qmY1L=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3dzvOorpQS5pC6EVRxbSCJS9YB1uo6yf9HA-KJqm2bTXObZzU_TchK6oc8ZPc79x5OZzWuf1AZU1Rp_lwZk5GmGEkKo9EtT7LAWYz4oaWgaj723DisIv9HG0qxmpmoOKgCdoG1IYggatL2QvBQfUaVI=w568-h757-no?authuser=0

Edited by wasabijim
pics

IMO nothing beats real charcoal/wood cooking for flavour. A gas bbq, to me, is good for outdoor cooking, but it's not bbq :lol:.  I've never tried the 'rocks' bbq so have no opinion there.

I love my kamado but they are expensive. I started with a round kettle Weber and it did me for years, but was given away when I got into smoking. It would do it, but it wasn't easy when long and slow was needed. For chicken, fish and veges it was fine.

Edited by GregWormald
spelling
  • Like 2

Seeing the BBQ brains trust assembled here, may I ask for a few tips?

I’m planning to do a Boston Butt (large, 4-5kg) on Saturday. I normally do these buggers in the oven,  but with the forecast promising a hot and sunny day, I want to give it a try in the Weber. How would you approach that?

Skin on or off?

Brining for a day, or no brining (just a rub)?

Smoke or no smoke?

How hot and how long?

I’ve read that with brining you won’t get crackling, but with the skin off it would still give a nice crust?

I’d be grateful for any hints and insights :D 

On 11/11/2020 at 1:18 AM, GregWormald said:

IMO nothing beats real charcoal/wood cooking for flavour. A gas bbq, to me, is good for outdoor cooking, but it's not bbq :lol:.  I've never tried the 'rocks' bbq so have no opinion there.

I love my kamado but they are expensive. I started with a round kettle Weber and it did me for years, but was given away when I got into smoking. It would do it, but it wasn't easy when long and slow was needed. For chicken, fish and veges it was fine.

to a degree I tend to agree regarding gas vs charcoal/wood but if its to be used 2-3 times a week say for just 2.5 of us (the little fella don't eat much yet), then that's bit of effort.

My mate has a kamado, I forget which fuel he's using but said he could readily starve of the air to shut it down but it didn't take much effort to light it up and get going again.  does that sound right? 

Prep and planning my friend.

A funnel lighter helps speed up lighting the coals, not sure of the proper name, it is like a huge jug

metal with holes on the base.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jumbuck-3-7l-bbq-charcoal-chimney_p3170877

Edited by Batty
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, wasabijim said:

<snip>My mate has a kamado, I forget which fuel he's using but said he could readily starve of the air to shut it down but it didn't take much effort to light it up and get going again.  does that sound right? 

I use basic charcoal and both the lighting and shut down are easy, but do take some time. I generally figure about 20 minutes to get going (I just use two non-kero starter cubes) and another 10 if I want the whole thing at roasting temperature. On shut down the burning stops very quickly but the thick ceramic stays hot for quite a while.

Let me add that the Kamado seems much more economical of charcoal than the previous Weber.

I do a fair bit of chicken thigh meals and the combination of grill and roast gives great results.

Edited by GregWormald
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Steffen said:

Seeing the BBQ brains trust assembled here, may I ask for a few tips?

I’m planning to do a Boston Butt (large, 4-5kg) on Saturday. I normally do these buggers in the oven,  but with the forecast promising a hot and sunny day, I want to give it a try in the Weber. How would you approach that?

Skin on or off?

Brining for a day, or no brining (just a rub)?

Smoke or no smoke?

How hot and how long?

I’ve read that with brining you won’t get crackling, but with the skin off it would still give a nice crust?

I’d be grateful for any hints and insights :D 

So your doing a roast for carving then as opposed to a long slow smoke for pulling?

If so and its crackling your after then the only advice I can give is irrespective of brining or otherwise is you will want to leave the roast uncovered skin side up in the fridge for at least overnight or longer  to dry out the skin as much as possible. I score the skin with a blade in a crosshatch pattern and rub some salt in before going in the fridge to help draw out some moisture and allow the fat to render whilst cooking.

So if it were me id setup the Weber for indirect cooking (two charcoal baskets set to either side and the meat in the middle), no wood chips or chunks just charcoal. Personally id not brine as the shoulder is juicy enough and just use a rub (but do not put on the skin if you want crackling). Brining won't to anything to the surface of the meat it just aids in moisture retention.

Id cook around 180c for however long it takes to get the internal meat temp up to around 60c (just below safe min. eating temp) and then throw open the vents in the Weber to get the temps up to over 220c and cook until crackling is done. Once done leave out to rest for as long as you can bear as that will also help crisp up the skin

A lot of people suggest the reverse and cook high and turn to low but in my experience its hard to get the temps down fast enough and stabilized with a charcoal fire than it is to do it the way I suggested.

Anyway that's what id do but im no roast expert so im sure others her might be able to assist.

Thanks Doug, much appreciated! I had to get started last night, so I decided to do the shoulder like I’ve always done it in the oven, just in the Weber. That is, skin off, no crackling, slow cooked for pulling (if all goes well).

Like you said, I’m going to have the coal basket to the side for indirect heat. I’ll cover the rest of the coal rack with alufoil to direct the air flow through the coals. I’ll bring the Weber up to max heat, put in the shoulder for searing, and close the vents after about 20 minutes. I hope to then maintain a temperature of about 140 degrees, for at least 5 or 6 hours. That’ll be the tricky bit, and I believe I’m not supposed to open the lid every now and then, right?

The shoulder has brined overnight, I’m going to put a smoky rub on now and get started in a couple of hours. I’ll post a picture if all goes well :)

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

believe I’m not supposed to open the lid every now and then, right?

If ya' lookin your not cookin 😆

Sounds like a plan to me. I might give brining a go as I normally inject the shoulders with a mix of apple juice, water, salt, sugar & worcestershire to achieve a similar result.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my sons visit for the first time since lockdown craziness in Melbourne last night. Locally sourced wagyu short rib, potato salad, green salad and smoked sweet potato.

It was a top shelf return to BBQ.

A3183065-9F8E-4497-AA14-247DE22C7650.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I had my sons visit for the first time since lockdown craziness in Melbourne last night. Locally sourced wagyu short rib, potato salad, green salad and smoked sweet potato.

It was a top shelf return to BBQ.

A3183065-9F8E-4497-AA14-247DE22C7650.jpeg

What did they eat?

Tasty looking ribs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These turned out very well, simple salt, pepper, garlic rub, moped with red wine, fig balsamic, Worcestershire, 8 hours at 240F wrapped at 172, taken to 198

4CF5CE1F-0447-481E-A50A-3A6117D3EA01.jpeg

549ED518-5213-4C70-88CF-8D242E6B63E5.jpeg

Edited by Chill3
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Fired up the Uuni 3 wood pellet pizza oven last Saturday night to feed 40 people at a party.

20 large pizzas cooked in 45 minutes, one after the other non- stop. Each pizza required only a small hand full of wood pellets.

People were amazed this little portable oven could bang out quality pizzas non stop.

Then 15 mins later, it cooled down, packed it up in its bag, and put in the boot of the car.

I can see this thing coming on future caravan trips with the portable BBQ. ;)

OONI 3 - (UUNI 3) WOOD-FIRED OVEN - 53090 - The BBQ King - One of  Australia's Leading BBQ Stores

Stock image

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Appears to be beef shortie season!

Just picked up some goodies ready to be cooked. (3 briskets, 4 pork shoulders & a leg of lamb)

20201201_081725.thumb.jpg.801606600eaa69476420512516b6325f.jpg

20201201_081941.thumb.jpg.0a477820dec13753398b293d42e2cb93.jpg

New batch of summer sausage off the smoker and into the ripening fridge.

20201201_103727.thumb.jpg.e330a9e579c1d8c2ab349968b5a9e050.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gee Emm said:

Fired up the Uuni 3 wood pellet pizza oven last Saturday night to feed 40 people at a party.

20 large pizzas cooked in 45 minutes, one after the other non- stop. Each pizza required only a small hand full of wood pellets.

People were amazed this little portable oven could bang out quality pizzas non stop.

Then 15 mins later, it cooled down, packed it up in its bag, and put in the boot of the car.

I can see this thing coming on future caravan trips with the portable BBQ. ;)

OONI 3 - (UUNI 3) WOOD-FIRED OVEN - 53090 - The BBQ King - One of  Australia's Leading BBQ Stores

Stock image

Been curious about these ovens so good to hear it works well (amazingly it seems) so cheers for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily I had our BBQ Christmas feast on Friday night before Shyt hit the fan on the Northern Beaches

I must have smoked 30 Boston Butt’s and this was the best so far.

Didn’t do anything too different, 8kg cut, standard brown sugar/Paprika/chilli/salt/pepper rub left over night

The BBQ started at 250 and I don’t mind if it settles back to 225 in the first hour or so

I gave plenty of American Oak and spritz every 20min with apple juice/cider vinegar for the first two hours

After 6hours internal temp was 160 and I applied the “Texas Crutch” the BBQ had stayed locked on 250 for the entire cook.

C15623DF-42CE-469A-8C6E-F866CBE9AD43.thumb.png.19d9beb147042bbb2d5f9e429a97c866.png

let it rise to 203 and transferred to an esky to rest for two hours while I did sausages, chicken and stuffed jalapeños   

6745CFEE-778C-4A5E-8F6E-444025FE761A.thumb.png.40b2a82ffabb27382ddc5ef79bcf6e8b.png

3F195B42-A712-444C-B413-1B33FEEAB4FA.thumb.png.1e900390f1bef780606c04a3efaeacf8.png

I’m sure the combination of a constant 250, taking the meat all the way to 203 and a long rest (in the esky) gave this cook an extra 10% over my past best effort 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Powerglide said:

Luckily I had our BBQ Christmas feast on Friday night before Shyt hit the fan on the Northern Beaches

I must have smoked 30 Boston Butt’s and this was the best so far.

Didn’t do anything too different, 8kg cut, standard brown sugar/Paprika/chilli/salt/pepper rub left over night

The BBQ started at 250 and I don’t mind if it settles back to 225 in the first hour or so

I gave plenty of American Oak and spritz every 20min with apple juice/cider vinegar for the first two hours

After 6hours internal temp was 160 and I applied the “Texas Crutch” the BBQ had stayed locked on 250 for the entire cook.

C15623DF-42CE-469A-8C6E-F866CBE9AD43.thumb.png.19d9beb147042bbb2d5f9e429a97c866.png

let it rise to 203 and transferred to an esky to rest for two hours while I did sausages, chicken and stuffed jalapeños   

6745CFEE-778C-4A5E-8F6E-444025FE761A.thumb.png.40b2a82ffabb27382ddc5ef79bcf6e8b.png

3F195B42-A712-444C-B413-1B33FEEAB4FA.thumb.png.1e900390f1bef780606c04a3efaeacf8.png

I’m sure the combination of a constant 250, taking the meat all the way to 203 and a long rest (in the esky) gave this cook an extra 10% over my past best effort 

Sounds mighty fine to me.