Anyone else into BBQ?

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Kifone said:

I love BBQ, it's actually kind of my hobby. I marinade the meat from a day before and then I call my friends and we enjoy company, food and drinks on a terrace of my property in Spain. Every weekend I do BBQ.

kifone, great to hear of your love for bbq which we share here. 

do share some pics and what you get upto for BBQ... am sure we have much to learn with what bbq means in spain with some delicious dishes and such... only thing i have come close to spanish on the bbq has been Paella :D which was lovely and done few times since !

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

Is that thing legal?! 😳

After seeing a rib eye cooked in a forge, I thought about trying it myself, since I'm a bit of a blacksmith. Haven't as yet though. Cooking time of 10-30 seconds I reckon 😉

I am assuming it is legal as it cleared customs - you are not the first to ask!!

Beer marinated chicken thighs slow on coals. About an hour or so, flipping every 10 minutes.

Turned out pretty good!

IMG20200903183212.thumb.jpg.b0814c981b660ad37979f8707dc4db53.jpg

IMG20200903183237.thumb.jpg.68c767a2c8b6ac1e833e6f31a05b3bda.jpg

I've got no more images, as I started having a beer or two and got busy chilling out.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 5

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Little fathers day present to myself.

20200904_172130.thumb.jpg.a04fee82c11d377c9491b2fb37913f58.jpg

love it ! but you know someone is going to ask if that thing is legal as well :D 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

love it ! but you know someone is going to ask if that thing is legal as well :D 

I don't want to even visualize TB with this raised up in a threatening manner! 😃

Come to think of it,  could be a good avatar pic !

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Pigpen said:

4B284822-3B9C-4A1F-B3CC-F0FF203FF6B0.jpeg

Such a sweet looking toy! Where was this when I was a kid...

Do you hook it up to a gas bottle, or does it use cartridges? 

5 hours ago, Steffen said:

Such a sweet looking toy! Where was this when I was a kid...

Do you hook it up to a gas bottle, or does it use cartridges? 

Given the rate at which it burns gas (think jet aircraft on afterburner complete with noise) it is hooked up to an 8.5kg LPG bottle and my credit card.

Fortunately, it sears the meat quick - real quick.

Unfortunately the desire to play with the bloody thing cancels all economic benefits of the quick searing.......

Simple lemon and Thyme on one chook and Peri Peri on the other cooked on the Weber with Hickory chips!

Leftovers tomorrow for a Ploughmans lunch.

20200905_193017.thumb.jpg.d6eebc51d5dcdf633f95848e151b4de0.jpg

• Like 6

Lent the said (attached) flamethrower to a mate to give it a try - he is BBQ tragic.

His wife called me to tell me to stick it somewhere unhygienic..........

It appears wine, flamethrower, wine, pot plants and wine are mutually exclusive items..........

My mate may now be a little less BBQ and somewhat more tragic.......

319D9432-CF7C-402F-9413-465506FA6AC9_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Hungary lads coming to my workshop for darts tomorrow night

Beef Short Ribs and a small bit of Brisket which I plan to dedicate to Burnt Ends - prefer to use the point, I'll just have to keep a close watch not to over do them. IMG_0858.thumb.PNG.52e0ad1380f6ba374aa888c8139a8d21.PNG

• Like 3

Let's get this party started.

@Tubularbells is that a devils head in the flame 

found a recipie for brisket flat burnt ends that requires cutting into strips before smoking for just 3 hours at 250, I understand the technique to get more bark but a bit sus on drying out and a good bark takes double that time. 

Bit it late to plan a cook after the pit is stoked - rookie IMG_0859.thumb.PNG.049b88d704c6288646f3e4cf348ad5fd.PNG

• Like 1

Haven’t used the Kamado over winter and it was full of mould. Thought I’d do a pyrolytic clean. How hot have you guys got yours? That’s just shy of 900f and got concerned it might crack so I’ve 3/4 closed the bottom vent to bring it back down slowlyFABF8326-A34B-497A-BDD0-CAE6A1143444.jpeg.a3356371251c1ed3a3d1df396d0837b2.jpeg

FABF8326-A34B-497A-BDD0-CAE6A1143444.jpeg

Edited by blybo

I've pegged mine on a few occasions and ended up cracking the inner ceramic firebox as a result! Thankfully it was replaced under warranty even though the old one continues to still work fine. yours has the newer multi segment piece which eliminates the issue so you'll have no issues at all and will be as clean as a surgeon's table next time you cook.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

I've pegged mine on a few occasions and ended up cracking the inner ceramic firebox as a result! Thankfully it was replaced under warranty even though the old one continues to still work fine. yours has the newer multi segment piece which eliminates the issue so you'll have no issues at all and will be as clean as a surgeon's table next time you cook.

I've set mine on a bamboo board to protect the refurbished table I got from you. All the moisture the bamboo board soaked up over winter is now burbling away... I couldn't work out for awhile what the hissing/burbling type sound was

3 minutes ago, blybo said:

I've set mine on a bamboo board to protect the refurbished table I got from you. All the moisture the bamboo board soaked up over winter is now burbling away... I couldn't work out for awhile what the hissing/burbling type sound was

Grab some ceramic pot stand pieces when your at Bunnings next as that will solve the issue

https://www.bunnings.com.au/northcote-pottery-8cm-blue-glazed-pot-feet_p2880017

1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

Grab some ceramic pot stand pieces when your at Bunnings next as that will solve the issue

https://www.bunnings.com.au/northcote-pottery-8cm-blue-glazed-pot-feet_p2880017

I've actually got some plain clay pottery ones sitting in the shed. Are the glazed ones more heat resistant? I've got some of those too, but about to be used under a re-potted plant.

So I gambled with Brisket Flat Burnt Ends and as I feared came out a bit tuff, funny enough none of my guests had ever had the real thing, the flavour profile was spot on and they were consumed with em mmmm's all round. My daughter gave me a quick WTF happened to those? Spoilt B-arch 

Ribs were the winner for me, hard to stuff them up.

nice mahogany mid smoke

IMG_0860.thumb.PNG.0584b5cfc21b3d7c3e5608783c9ed048.PNG

Brewing up the burnt end mopping sauce 

IMG_0861.thumb.PNG.2b648e75adc28815c18fed1e0707e39c.PNG

It's a wrap, I was amped to get pink butchers at Bunnings but not at my local 

IMG_0862.thumb.PNG.fe2b8e3e454b35e71e2aa9583d04a923.PNG

The bounty, Ribs look a bit dry in the photo but they were moist and luscious 

IMG_0863.thumb.PNG.bca2fa4ecab88632a70d99da4f767ac0.PNG

Goodnight ladies ................. ladies goodnight 

IMG_0864.thumb.PNG.d1c8c7643dc1f85dc62779d91b963add.PNG

L.R R.I.P. 

• Like 2

Here's something to try for all Kamado owners out there for those seeking a more consistent smoke. Not my idea but sounds reasonable and could be worth giving a go.

Post taken from BBQ Brethren site.

"My luck with quality smoke in my ceramic grill (Primo) varies - using chunks, sometimes one is near the fire and burns clean, sometimes it belches white smoke, and sometimes the fire just hasn't found a chunk yet. Chips may work better, but I have a much greater supply of chunks. Also, the vast majority of my cooks are short evening ones, where I roast a few veggies and reverse sear a steak over low heat, and then crank the heat at the end for the steak. This time window is too short to rely on establishing a clean fire using wood mixed into the charcoal.

So, applying what I recently learned about rocket stoves, I tried this experiment - place a wood chunk in the air intake, and torch it until lit. With the vent 20% open for my target ~300F, this creates a draft directly over the lit chunk which a) keeps it lit, and b) produces a fairly constant, *clean* and reasonable amount of smoke for 30-60 min. Just enough for a light kiss of smoke."

image.png.b532ffde8855193268c7b815cab21e0c.png

• Thanks 1

Was going to keep this all to myself but in the interests of spreading BBQ love im sharing my secret chicken wing recipe which will be some of the best wings you ever tasted.

The secret weapon in this recipe is using Mayo a sa first coating which does some amazing things to those little flappers.

4 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp smoked salt, ground fine (sea salt can be substituted)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp cayenne

Coat wings in mayo , apply a generous amount of rub and put back in fridge for at least 4 hours. Grill/smoke for about 1 hour and  presto. Did another batch yesterday but sadly no pics taken. Give it a try and tell me what you think?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Was going to keep this all to myself but in the interests of spreading BBQ love im sharing my secret chicken wing recipe...

Def going to give this a go, as I order a lot of pre-drenched wings from woolies (so easy to stick 5-6 in the oven for lunch while WFH).

how good is Mayo? Try dropping a tablespoon of Helman’s in the spag bol.

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Def going to give this a go, as I order a lot of pre-drenched wings from woolies (so easy to stick 5-6 in the oven for lunch while WFH).

how good is Mayo? Try dropping a tablespoon of Helman’s in the spag bol.

TBH I would never have thought of using mayo as a base layer for chicken but a few BBQ guys from the US urged me to give it a go and yeah it was a game changer for me.  Some might argue the rub might be overly complicated but I reckon that's its strength as you get a raft of flavours in every bite, asian , indian, america's its so unique yet so familiar. Anyway it what i use so hopefully others also enjoy it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

TBH I would never have thought of using mayo as a base layer for chicken but a few BBQ guys from the US urged me to give it a go and yeah it was a game changer for me.  Some might argue the rub might be overly complicated but I reckon that's its strength as you get a raft of flavours in every bite, asian , indian, america's its so unique yet so familiar. Anyway it what i use so hopefully others also enjoy it.

Putting Mayo in spag bol was a horrific thought until I tried it.

Perfect! - I’ll grab 5kg of wings next week (already got this week’s), do the rub, refrigerate overnight and then package them up 5-6 in sandwich bags and freeze them - 2 weeks lunch!

Edited by Guest
On 25/09/2020 at 6:49 PM, Tubularbells said:

Was going to keep this all to myself but in the interests of spreading BBQ love im sharing my secret chicken wing recipe which will be some of the best wings you ever tasted.

The secret weapon in this recipe is using Mayo a sa first coating which does some amazing things to those little flappers.

4 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp smoked salt, ground fine (sea salt can be substituted)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
1 tsp cayenne

Coat wings in mayo , apply a generous amount of rub and put back in fridge for at least 4 hours. Grill/smoke for about 1 hour and  presto. Did another batch yesterday but sadly no pics taken. Give it a try and tell me what you think?

How many wings do reckon this would do?

I cooked at least 20 and had some left over. After coating the wings in mayo you can go as heavy or light as you like with this seasoning. I was quite liberal with mine giving the exterior a nice reddish hue. Let it sit for at least an hour but recommend 4-6 personally and throw on the grill cooking to your liking. 

12 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

I cooked at least 20 and had some left over. After coating the wings in mayo you can go as heavy or light as you like with this seasoning. I was quite liberal with mine giving the exterior a nice reddish hue. Let it sit for at least an hour but recommend 4-6 personally and throw on the grill cooking to your liking. 

Cool - ty... I have 4kgs coming (which I’ll bag and freeze in lots of 6), so will just upscale.

1 minute ago, Billy Shears said:

Cool - ty... I have 4kgs coming (which I’ll bag and freeze in lots of 6), so will just upscale.

Sounds like a plan to me. Let me know what you reckon of the results?

Sounds like a plan to me. Let me know what you reckon of the results?

Will do mate. My woolies delivery arrives tomorrow, so I’ll knock it all up on Saturday arvo and have some for dinner :D

Legend - ty @Tubularbells

This timed up really well. I’ve been buying 2kgs buffalo pre marinated Woolies wings (the others are too sugary), breaking them into 5 wing bags and freezing them. I do the same with sausages etc. It’s awesome for WFH where I can pop the oven on at about 11:00 and have a nice hot lunch at 12:00, and it only takes about 60 seconds (short the waiting) in aggregate with a woolies salad added to it.

Woolies wings are fine, but nothing to rave about (and even the buffalo wings taste too sugary).

F*** me these are good.

I have to confess - I did alter the recipe by not putting the sugar in. I don’t eat sugar at all if I can possibly help it, and because of that anything with sugar in it leaves me a bit anxious and twitchy past a point (hence 5 half wings at a time), and it’s usually all I can taste!

I was slightly terrified of the cinnamon smell coming from the kitchen (not a cinnamon fan), but I can’t taste it individually.

I’m going to add a bit more Mayo next time (as per recommendation), and a bit more chilli (spice is always a favourite of mine, and as I eat chilli regularly I have a decent tolerance). I’ve put some nice sriracha on, but barely any.

I’ll bag them up and they’ll be awesome over the next 6ish weeks!

Putting another 5 in the oven now!

E6DAC17A-ECC6-45A1-B91C-6FE8278057AD.jpeg

4 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

Legend - ty @Tubularbells

This timed up really well. I’ve been buying 2kgs buffalo pre marinated Woolies wings (the others are too sugary), breaking them into 5 wing bags and freezing them. I do the same with sausages etc. It’s awesome for WFH where I can pop the oven on at about 11:00 and have a nice hot lunch at 12:00, and it only takes about 60 seconds (short the waiting) in aggregate with a woolies salad added to it.

Woolies wings are fine, but nothing to rave about (and even the buffalo wings taste too sugary).

F*** me these are good.

I have to confess - I did alter the recipe by not putting the sugar in. I don’t eat sugar at all if I can possibly help it, and because of that anything with sugar in it leaves me a bit anxious and twitchy past a point (hence 5 half wings at a time), and it’s usually all I can taste!

I was slightly terrified of the cinnamon smell coming from the kitchen (not a cinnamon fan), but I can’t taste it individually.

I’m going to add a bit more Mayo next time (as per recommendation), and a bit more chilli (spice is always a favourite of mine, and as I eat chilli regularly I have a decent tolerance). I’ve put some nice sriracha on, but barely any.

I’ll bag them up and they’ll be awesome over the next 6ish weeks!

Putting another 5 in the oven now!

E6DAC17A-ECC6-45A1-B91C-6FE8278057AD.jpeg

Well done and glad you liked. I too like more chilli but when cooking for the masses you have to be a bit cautious. 

20 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Well done and glad you liked. I too like more chilli but when cooking for the masses you have to be a bit cautious. 

Oh absolutely - I’ll ramp it up a little at a time, and change things up.

I eat a lot of wings, so heaps of opportunity!

37 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Oh absolutely - I’ll ramp it up a little at a time, and change things up.

I eat a lot of wings, so heaps of opportunity!

Next amp I service I'll send up a sample of my Devil Dust made from 100% home grown chillies mostly comprising of Reapers, Ghost, Habanero & Cayenne all dried and ground into what is essentially a weaponised condiment dust that will bring tears of joy and pain ☠️

20201003_160955.thumb.jpg.9e9da084f146b00a632ea9ca226280cc.jpg

• Like 1

Next amp I service I'll send up a sample of my Devil Dust made from 100% home grown chillies mostly comprising of Reapers, Ghost, Habanero & Cayenne all dried and ground into what is essentially a weaponised condiment dust that will bring tears of joy and pain ☠️

20201003_160955.thumb.jpg.9e9da084f146b00a632ea9ca226280cc.jpg

OMG yes! That sounds like a good shot at putting me over my limit!!!

Nailed it!!!

As recommended by the chef, I upped the Mayo.

Instead of adding more chilli, I put plenty of sriracha in the Mayo mix. I upped the amount of seasoning (which I was light on for safety the first time). I really like that taste of sriracha on chicken anyway, so that worked out perfectly.

I have about 6kgs of these wings bagged in the freezer now!

F189A85A-96EF-4BD9-B44A-ECB637A0B7E7.jpeg

Gave the "secret" Devil Wings a crack. Marinated overnight and the mix went a bit soupy, looked like a tandoori or Butter Chicken when it hit the grill. They got hoovered down so fast I only got one for myself, pretty good I'll be doing another batch when nobody is around and feast out.

• Like 1