Tubularbells

Anyone else into BBQ?

8.3 kg brisket going in for a long smoke. Thinking of letting this one ride out throughout the entire cook unwrapped. Rub was a simple salt pepper mix with a twist of garlic, celery seed and activated charcoal. Curious to see how this one turns out.

20190725_162500.jpg

20190725_163122.jpg

20190725_180257.jpg

Hey Doug where do you source your peach paper from? PM me if necessary 

Never used paper, always foil, gotta get some 

If your saw the movie Chef there's a scene where he gets some brisket from Flanklin BBQ, anyway there's a spin off on Netflix called the Chef Show where  Jon Favreau interviews and cooks with all the chef's in the movie, two episodes are with Aaron Franklin, worth a look, he's a paper advocate

My wife cooked up the Cuban sandwich recipe,  sensational 

Aaron Franlins' a legend and his book has helped me heaps

IMG_0485.thumb.PNG.35ab39c080ff91b77e58d9ae9d0d9a2c.PNG

Guest JohnA
22 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

8.3 kg brisket going in for a long smoke. Thinking of letting this one ride out throughout the entire cook unwrapped. Rub was a simple salt pepper mix with a twist of garlic, celery seed and activated charcoal. Curious to see how this one turns out.

20190725_162500.jpg

20190725_163122.jpg

20190725_180257.jpg

look forward to seeing the result

Busy brisket day... 

74B86E4A-A976-483B-B4A5-B61B70BF7BAA.jpeg

80F0D346-7FF7-4022-B502-8CB3D07D3C7A.jpeg

3DFECF59-ED72-4C0F-83CD-988BBD2EB42B.jpeg

379D9124-916B-4C99-B5A7-2995755CB06A.jpeg

B3AE4A51-01D0-48C2-AF8C-B12AABB7671A.jpeg

77CCC074-2327-4DFC-8E94-45D73144F44A.jpeg

798F7B15-297A-4B75-A773-16E1327229D2.jpeg

1 minute ago, JohnA said:

look forward to seeing the result

Took bit over 14 hours @250f and turned out ok but the flat was way overdone (ie hard to slice without it falling apart as the point was being a bit stubborn refusing to tenderise so I ended up using it for burnt ends using a whiskey BBQ sauce I had on hand. Damned delicious little bites of meat candy they were.

20190726_074717.jpg

20190726_091205.jpg

4 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Busy brisket day... 

74B86E4A-A976-483B-B4A5-B61B70BF7BAA.jpeg

80F0D346-7FF7-4022-B502-8CB3D07D3C7A.jpeg

3DFECF59-ED72-4C0F-83CD-988BBD2EB42B.jpeg

379D9124-916B-4C99-B5A7-2995755CB06A.jpeg

B3AE4A51-01D0-48C2-AF8C-B12AABB7671A.jpeg

77CCC074-2327-4DFC-8E94-45D73144F44A.jpeg

798F7B15-297A-4B75-A773-16E1327229D2.jpeg

Ahhh good to see the Iron Maiden back in action but geez man you supplementing the paint work with a new outdoor "camo" theme xD

Brisket's looking good. What rub is that?

She’s been under the cover all winter. Haven’t had a chance for a good clean. 

Still using the rub you posted the recipe for on here a long time ago. 

Just with yellow mustard for stick. 

Some apple juice spritz also 

Guest JohnA

nice work guys, i'll be doing some baby back ribs tomorrow
going to use the 3,2,1 method

22 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Never had luck with the 321. Only tip I can give is to use a toothpick (between the bones should feel little/no resistance) and not a thermometer as a gauge for doneness (or to pick up the middle of the rack with tongs with both sides drooping and slight splitting on top of the arch)

Have fun and I bet they turn out great :thumbsup:

Used the thermometer today and it was sooooo good to able to monitor progress from inside. 

I cooked keeping the smoker between 225f and 240f. 

When the brisket got to 160f I wrapped it. 

Let it slowly rise to meat temp of 203f. 

Then rested in an Esky for 1 hour. It was tender but I’d say 1 or 2 more hours needed at least. So internal temp isn’t the only indicator. 

But it’s sure is fun learning. 😁

PS @Tubularbells I love the Iron Maiden. I hope to do her justice one day!! 

16 hours ago, JohnA said:

If you decide to spritz with apple juice before wrapping for the "2" stage, I recommend adding a dash of balsamic or apple cider vinegar to the mix. I did this last time around and was the best ribs I've done yet. I only use Costco baby backs now for massive amount of meat on the bones compared to your normal Aussie style.

Guest JohnA
52 minutes ago, blybo said:

If you decide to spritz with apple juice before wrapping for the "2" stage, I recommend adding a dash of balsamic or apple cider vinegar to the mix. I did this last time around and was the best ribs I've done yet. I only use Costco baby backs now for massive amount of meat on the bones compared to your normal Aussie style.

thats the plan mate and yep costco baby backs here also

5FBE3E02-122E-43BC-A947-C725DA01D145.thumb.jpeg.c449dc3f32cc0fe59d5e7d74d053f90e.jpeg

D5A7A3D2-F24D-4EE3-A3D0-28A15793AAE1.thumb.jpeg.06c739a992eeda06b66060dcbe5416be.jpeg

EE31A42A-3F55-4B16-AFBB-1D9A6301579E.thumb.jpeg.a4df9c10e09357a8e449f5907af73258.jpeg

Edited by JohnA

37 minutes ago, JohnA said:

5FBE3E02-122E-43BC-A947-C725DA01D145.thumb.jpeg.c449dc3f32cc0fe59d5e7d74d053f90e.jpeg

It might just be the photo and lighting playing tricks, but that rack appears to still have the "silver skin" which is actually fascia tissue, attached. Kitchen paper towel is great for removing it after lifting a corner with a knife, and it's highly recommended to do so if you haven't started your cook.

Guest JohnA

just the pic mate as i did remove the membrane

I went to Costco again the other day. 

I just can’t pay their prices. I walked out.

If you can, try to have a good relationship with a butcher in your area and tell them what you need. 

I usually buy a whole scotch, a whole porterhouse and Lamb Loins and stuff at once and the butcher is happy to help. Plus I’m supporting small business. 

A bit of lead time and they can sort you out.

29 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I went to Costco again the other day. 

I just can’t pay their prices. I walked out.

If you can, try to have a good relationship with a butcher in your area and tell them what you need. 

I usually buy a whole scotch, a whole porterhouse and Lamb Loins and stuff at once and the butcher is happy to help. Plus I’m supporting small business. 

A bit of lead time and they can sort you out.

Yep its a real thorn for me Jakey with these so called lesser cuts attracting premium prices similar to when I was a kid when we fed our shepherds on lamb shanks as no one wanted them and now your paying $10+ for a decent shank!

As you know American BBQ was born from necessity (i.e. finding ways to make scrap cuts edible) and now its become trendy prices have gone through the roof. 

Another issue is the way we butcher here in oz. Ask and traditional butcher for a "full packer" or "pork shoulder bone in" and they'll just stare at you blankly (least 'round here). Another issue is we aussies love our full cut bacon meaning the ribs are literally trimmed to the bone so all we're left with is the meat between the bones.

That's one plus for Costco in my book in that at least you can readily access the "US" style cuts for those of enjoy this style of cookery.

5 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Yep its a real thorn for me Jakey with these so called lesser cuts attracting premium prices similar to when I was a kid when we fed our shepherds on lamb shanks as no one wanted them and now your paying $10+ for a decent shank!

As you know American BBQ was born from necessity (i.e. finding ways to make scrap cuts edible) and now its become trendy prices have gone through the roof. 

Another issue is the way we butcher here in oz. Ask and traditional butcher for a "full packer" or "pork shoulder bone in" and they'll just stare at you blankly (least 'round here). Another issue is we aussies love our full cut bacon meaning the ribs are literally trimmed to the bone so all we're left with is the meat between the bones.

That's one plus for Costco in my book in that at least you can readily access the "US" style cuts for those of enjoy this style of cookery.

Yeah I miss Metro Meats. 

There are still some butchers that will do those cuts. 

There is a couple down here in the South East that do them and the rubs and wood etc. 

now that I’m off work also Doug we should look at meat supply 😂

Devil’s Cuts? 

Edited by jakeyb77

5 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Yeah I miss Metro Meats. 

There is a couple down here in the South East that do them and the rubs and wood etc. 

Devil’s Cuts? 

I like the way you think sir....I'm in!

19 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

It must be really limited there in Melbourne. Here in Adelaide I can get all the "fancy" US style cuts either from my usual butcher or Foodland.

Edited by GregWormald
grammar

Char Char Char Butchers are great. It’s becoming more and more available.

Traditionally here in Oz we slaughter pigs and beef much younger than in the US. This is also why the ribs are leaner and the cuts generally smaller. 

Guest JohnA

Well the ribs were tasty but a little on tue dry side think i won’t leave them in as long after unwrapping next time

The wings though were to die for

C8321DBD-3D83-4B96-BE9C-EF6E65313005.thumb.jpeg.0d865a623d489e8614e6632f93f65d9a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Yeah I miss Metro Meats. 

Devil’s Cuts? 

From what I've been told the my local butchers have no say with pork, baby back ribs are processed at the wholesale distributors to not have any meat on em. As I understand it, in the good ol US of A they only eat streaky bacon, the short cut bit stays on the baby back rib. In Oz that bit is too valuable so is made into bacon and the ribs suffer as a result.

A mate worked briefly in sales for a meat processing plant until recently.