Jump to content

Anyone else into BBQ?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

4 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

 

So..........how do you use this butchers paper?

It’s mainly used to wrap meat for resting I think, but I’m a bbq noob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

decided to roast on the webber a couple of eggplants we picked up at farmers market :)

 

0I9A9346.jpeg

 

pretty impressed how well came up,

 

I used tips in article below on how to roast

 https://www.thespruceeats.com/whole-grilled-eggplant-2216259

 

I coated them in some sun flower oil...once webber was fired up and upto temp popped in (on low on both flames) and lid closed. 

 

just turned till well roasted and egg plants collapsed... making sure well collapsed all around. then sit in foil and peal off the skin... came up gorgeously..

 

then this recipe here, its for one large one, but followed the same for 2 medium sized...

the recipe is for baingan(eggplant) Bharta which is an indian style babba ganush...

https://myfoodstory.com/easy-baingan-bharta-recipe/

 

needing ingredients, 

For Roasting:
1 Eggplant large
3 Garlic Cloves

 

For the Bharta:
3 tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon Nigella Seeds Kalonji
6 Garlic Cloves minced
1 teaspoon Ginger grated
1 Green Chilli finely chopped
1 Medium Onion finely chopped
2 Tomatoes finely chopped
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
Roasted Baingan Pulp
1 tablespoon Chopped Coriander

 

only variations for chilli...the one green chillies i stripped seeds from inside before slicing finely and instead of one heaped teaspoon chilli powder went one level teaspoon... still kept enough heat that wife said ... thats too much chilli (good sign its just about right :D ) she usually enjoys it and both myself daughter tucked in to what was a very tasty dish.... level of difficulty id give it *easy* and the roasting on bbq of the eggplants an essential step not to miss ! 

 

it asks for nigella seeds... i happened to have some ...wow what a nice touch ! 

 

eat with some toasted and buttered pita breads *yum* great little lunch :)

 

0I9A9349.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Batty said:

Broke a tooth on the crackle :(

Yeah but as long as it tasted good 😋

 

Looks like a bit of indirect cooking going on there so im assuming you gave it a flip and a blast of heat to finish off the crackle? (Shhh dont tell anyone but when my crackle comes out less than perfect ive been known to whip out the paint stripper gun and give it a blast  over the skin to finish...)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, betty boop said:

decided to roast on the webber a couple of eggplants we picked up at farmers market :)

 

0I9A9346.jpeg

 

pretty impressed how well came up,

 

I used tips in article below on how to roast

 https://www.thespruceeats.com/whole-grilled-eggplant-2216259

 

I coated them in some sun flower oil...once webber was fired up and upto temp popped in (on low on both flames) and lid closed. 

 

just turned till well roasted and egg plants collapsed... making sure well collapsed all around. then sit in foil and peal off the skin... came up gorgeously..

 

then this recipe here, its for one large one, but followed the same for 2 medium sized...

the recipe is for baingan(eggplant) Bharta which is an indian style babba ganush...

https://myfoodstory.com/easy-baingan-bharta-recipe/

 

needing ingredients, 

For Roasting:
1 Eggplant large
3 Garlic Cloves

 

For the Bharta:
3 tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon Nigella Seeds Kalonji
6 Garlic Cloves minced
1 teaspoon Ginger grated
1 Green Chilli finely chopped
1 Medium Onion finely chopped
2 Tomatoes finely chopped
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
Roasted Baingan Pulp
1 tablespoon Chopped Coriander

 

only variations for chilli...the one green chillies i stripped seeds from inside before slicing finely and instead of one heaped teaspoon chilli powder went one level teaspoon... still kept enough heat that wife said ... thats too much chilli (good sign its just about right :D ) she usually enjoys it and both myself daughter tucked in to what was a very tasty dish.... level of difficulty id give it *easy* and the roasting on bbq of the eggplants an essential step not to miss ! 

 

it asks for nigella seeds... i happened to have some ...wow what a nice touch ! 

 

eat with some toasted and buttered pita breads *yum* great little lunch :)

 

0I9A9349.jpeg

 

Very impressive and tasty looking dish Al but you know i gotta say it....where's the meat? 😂

 

Actually a good tip I recently learned that takes away the bitterness of some eggplants is to slice them in half, sprinkle a generous amount of salt over the exposed side, leave it for a few mins and then flip flesh side down over some paper towel for approx 30mins. Rinse and cook however you normally would.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Very impressive and tasty looking dish Al but you know i gotta say it....where's the meat? 😂

Haha Only the flesh of the Aubergine :D

 

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Actually a good tip I recently learned that takes away the bitterness of some eggplants is to slice them in half, sprinkle a generous amount of salt over the exposed side, leave it for a few mins and then flip flesh side down over some paper towel for approx 30mins. Rinse and cook however you normally would.

Indeed a good tip... I tend to do this with roasted veggies including egg plant on the bbq
 

there’s no bitterness with this one though and want good char on the eggplants in this case and sealing in goodness so don’t be cutting in half !
 

ps the recipe called for pushing some halved garlics in for the roasting ... but skipped that ... wanted to keep its lovely juices in which it did :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably just the angle of the shots, got down low to miss the top rack, look at the previous raw shots. 

 

This came from Ivan's a legendary Serbian butcher out west @ 7.90kg fed 15 for $3 ahead with 2 family meals still left on the bone....... Carnitas for me tonight 

 

Since moving workshops Ivan's is a ways out of the ways for me now but happened to be in the area last Thursday, he smokes all his own small goods on site, crazy shyt you never see, beef bacon, smoked pork neck and a hundred other things I can't pronounce. Can't leave without a pack of Cevapi's 

 

IMG_0509.thumb.PNG.ce24811ad09ec84897f744a2767e0a73.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Re: salting eggplant, that’s often only necessary if it’s old and bitter (like me). Same with zucchini. They get bitter with age. haha

 

Hopefully I remember to cook my ribs today. I keep getting distracted doing other things! I even sat them on the bench yesterday to get to room temp and remind me and I still didn’t get a chance. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Looks like a bit of indirect cooking going on there so im assuming you gave it a flip and a blast of heat to finish off the crackle? (Shhh dont tell anyone but when my crackle comes out less than perfect ive been known to whip out the paint stripper gun and give it a blast  over the skin to finish...)

I once put my crackle back in the Kamado to give it a quick sear to finish it off. Walked inside and looked out the kitchen window to see it had combusted and a 2' high flame coming out of the top of the Kamado. Fat=fuel and after only 1 minute or so all was left was maybe 4cm x 4cm black mess. :oops:

 

Actually I have a pork roast drying out in the fridge right now for tonight's dinner. I now start it off in the Weber Q then pass over to the Kamado for the slower part of the cook.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great day for some B B Q!

 

These meaty ribs are gonna be tasty 🤤

 

most ribs I’ve ever bought haven’t had much on the bone, which makes them not very desirable to me, but these beauties are thicc!

 

Rubbed with ground fennel seed, brown sugar, allspice and cinnamon, salt and pepper.

 

 

 

 

EDE5C017-8680-4678-94D5-E86EB1900E75.jpeg

51A81FAC-1432-4161-AE35-E7A81C1C2E22.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wrapped these babies up and added some fresh squeezed pink lady juice. Ooh la la! 

Edited by Esoterica
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 3 weeks later...

Some beef shorties and am experimenting with a new BBQ sauce which I call Devils Blood comprising of cherries chipotle chillies in adobo sauce, agave syrup, molasses, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion and some fresh lime.

 

Eating good tonight...(I hope)

 

20200821_114813.thumb.jpg.07e14d4d7546517035f0e53da04a9e55.jpg

 

20200821_115721.thumb.jpg.39228841b18374d2b7d4011ddaf0dd07.jpg

 

20200821_121952.thumb.jpg.5a24bc7fd6c0fa1ee2a372372675d728.jpg

 

 

Ribs a few hours in

20200821_120604.thumb.jpg.4d86db48191be3b4e10c964c1fea2f37.jpg

 

 

Ready to boat with grass fed bone broth

20200821_130710.thumb.jpg.3a9cebcc7b3bf4217b9938abd9e57d44.jpg

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

picked up a couple of nice lamb strips from the market today. keen to whack on the bbq for some souvalaki ?

 

any thoughts folks on whats a good marinade for it ? their thin back straps/ fillet steaks  so apparently quick to cook... around 30 sec a side on high heat  :D and then left to rest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, betty boop said:

picked up a couple of nice lamb strips from the market today. keen to whack on the bbq for some souvalaki ?

 

any thoughts folks on whats a good marinade for it ? their thin back straps/ fillet steaks  so apparently quick to cook... around 30 sec a side on high heat  :D and then left to rest. 

4 - 6 cloves of garlic minced, lemon juice and zest from a lemon, Few sprigs of Rosemary chopped, Salt, Pepper and 1/4 cup of Olive oil .

That's how I always do it - al.

30 seconds a side for Back Straps??

Jeez that would be still raw, I'd do a few mins a side high heat minimum. 

Edited by evil c
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, evil c said:

4 - 6 cloves of garlic minced, lemon juice and zest from a lemon, Few sprigs of Rosemary chopped, Salt, Pepper and 1/4 cup of Olive oil .

That's how I always do it - al.

ooooh that sounds delicious... mouth watering already ! even before doing them :D 

 

i'll give that a shot. reads like a lovely combination. I picked up some Gerry's pites as well, so will do during the week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ooooh that sounds delicious... mouth watering already ! even before doing them :D 

 

i'll give that a shot. reads like a lovely combination. I picked up some Gerry's pites as well, so will do during the week.

Marinate night before and will be nicer.

I often use that marinade on a butterflied Lamb leg and stab/slash all over to help introduce the flavor better plus get crunchy caramelized bits!

In your Weber , nothing better. 😉

We would have a roast on the day then left over do the Souvlaki wraps following day(s).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, evil c said:

4 - 6 cloves of garlic minced, lemon juice and zest from a lemon, Few sprigs of Rosemary chopped, Salt, Pepper and 1/4 cup of Olive oil .

That's how I always do it - al.

30 seconds a side for Back Straps??

Jeez that would be still raw, I'd do a few mins a side high heat minimum. 

I think Mr Boop has found his inner cave man from his moderator duties. The rest of us would do well to take your advice on a few minutes per side.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Super Mustud said:

I think Mr Boop has found his inner cave man from his moderator duties. The rest of us would do well to take your advice on a few minutes per side.

oh dont worry :D advice already was taken, :) I and family are not really fans of the ultra rare ... these are quite slim strips though , so will keep good eye...whatever takes :) but be careful not to let go to leather as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

the back strap came up an absolute treat ! great recipe @evil c and 2-3 minutes a side seem to do it :)

 

IMG_1409.jpeg

 

gave the souvlaki a bash with all the trimmings :) first time we just gave lamb a go specifically for souvlaki, usually its left overs ! can't beleive how good it came out. utterly scrumptious ! the lamb was fantastic in it. made some home made tzatziki and key ingredients to souvlaki was some fresh oregano and chopped red chilli :D 


IMG_1403.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great! @betty boop

We usually slice up the Back straps and spoon over homemade Pesto sauce thinned out with a bit of Extra Virgin olive oil. 

Anyway top effort. 😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, evil c said:

Looks great! @betty boop

We usually slice up the Back straps and spoon over homemade Pesto sauce thinned out with a bit of Extra Virgin olive oil. 

Anyway top effort. 😊

we'll definitely be doing this one again. big hit ! :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

we'll definitely be doing this one again. big hit ! :D 

Lamb backstraps are the Fillet Mignon of cuts though so wouldn't use for Souvlaki. 

Just Weber a butterflied Lamb leg next time .😉

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, evil c said:

Lamb backstraps are the Fillet Mignon of cuts though so wouldn't use for Souvlaki. 

Just Weber a butterflied Lamb leg next time .😉

oh we are spoilt now :D  it was so good ! :D 

 

but yeah a butterfly leg we should try as well :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, evil c said:

Lamb backstraps are the Fillet Mignon of cuts though so wouldn't use for Souvlaki. 

Just Weber a butterflied Lamb leg next time .😉

Rubbish, Al's showing the us the great unwashed how the other half live (and eat) 😂

 

Survive in style Mr. Boop 👌

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Just now, Tubularbells said:

Rubbish, Al's showing the us the great unwashed how the other half live (and eat) 😂

 

Survive in style Mr. Boop 👌

hehe I actual said this to family start of the 1st shutdown... no matter what happens we are going to eat well !! :D food will take us through hehe

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Rubbish, Al's showing the us the great unwashed how the other half live (and eat) 😂

 

Survive in style Mr. Boop 👌

True, let the peasants drool !😁

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

hehe I actual said this to family start of the 1st shutdown... no matter what happens we are going to eat well !! :D food will take us through hehe

As you were al, we're in similar circumstances! 😉

Povvo Porterhouse for us here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I love BBQ, it's actually kind of my hobby. I marinade the meat from a day before and then I call my friends and we enjoy company, food and drinks on a terrace of my property in Spain. Every weekend I do BBQ.

Edited by Kifone
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kifone said:

I love BBQ, it's actually kind of my hobby. I marinade the meat from a day before and then I call my friends and we enjoy company, food and drinks on a terrace of my property in Spain. Every weekend I do BBQ.

Sounds great and you've encapsulated essentially what BBQ is all about. Sharing good food, and good drinks with friends and family! Would love to see some pics of some weekend cooks you do sometime.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a sous vide system and Kamado Joe to cook / smoke beef brisket.

 

My wife likes to BBQ vegetables and small bananas (of all things) - seriously stunning results and the only way I will eat sweet potato......

 

Have just ventured into rapid searing of meat with a su-vgun - so much fun, I sometimes forget why I originally purchased said gun........

 

4B284822-3B9C-4A1F-B3CC-F0FF203FF6B0.jpeg

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that thing legal?! 😳

 

After seeing a rib eye cooked in a forge, I thought about trying it myself, since I'm a bit of a blacksmith. Haven't as yet though. Cooking time of 10-30 seconds I reckon 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...