Anyone else into BBQ?

10 minutes ago, betocool said:

Question to all experts out there...

I was able to get a pretty good haul of recently cut tree, which is drying as of now, as you can see.

IMG_20200509_162929.thumb.jpg.8b73c7614342bd4efcdba6bce5c0e733.jpg

Obviously this is all very wet, it's sitting now in the carport, outside but covered from rain. Anyone venture a guess when these might be dry for a pit fire bbq? My uneducated guess is late summer '21, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

Cheers,

Alberto

Knock two logs together and when they no longer have a dull thump (aka. more of a clack) there good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

Little fathers day present to myself.      

• 3 weeks later...

Did some beef short ribs last weekend, was so hungry/pissed that I forgot to take photos of the cook or the end product.

They were quite thick and I had planned on not wrapping, bark looked good after 5 hours at 250 with internal of 150 I Sat down to watch a game of league 1-1/2  hours later and they had blacked up a bit more than I had preferred so wrapped and added some sausages.

Came out moist with a big beefy flavour, These were a first for me and room for improvement presentation wise. I sort that out next time and get some snaps 

IMG_0736.thumb.PNG.0d7b82e9a638c5486b41eddfede1bcdc.PNG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

You idiot ?

I bought him a biscotti stout at the Taproom and he owes me.

I'll only munch on semi aged Charcuterie so I'm planning on hitting Bleak City when it warms up a bit later in the year(small window I know...but hey) and by then two of those small fellas hung and dried...should be perfect.

He needs to hang on to some for @joz's GTG later in the year so we can compare Duck salami against  Tubby's one's. ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77

Just polished off a couple of pulled pork rolls with some pork purchased from @Tubularbells own Devil’s Grill. 
And let me tell you it was deviliciously goooood! 

B1BE27A5-2B4F-45FC-9EA8-DF243DBC21F9.jpeg

8A8F3FEA-D0DB-40B3-9D4A-ED2F94ACFB47.jpeg

ABA1443B-F1DC-4604-8BA8-73B86532C489.jpeg

Say hello to the Grim Reaper.

Appropriately named the Grim Reaper is my latest sausage creation. Smoked hand ground pork & beef sausage made using artisan small batch Carolina Reaper chilli infused gouda from Mill Grove Dairy, pickled Jalapeno chilli and my very own Devil Dust (made from mix of super hot chili's I grew last summer)

Got a bunch so if any Melbourne locals (Northern suburbs) want to try PM me. $18/kg RRP SNA discount $15/kg

Not for the faint of heart and no responsibility taken for any discomfort caused the next morning ?️??

20200620_151900.thumb.jpg.0e904ac8b878080f329c4da8b31dac7e.jpg

20200621_113207.thumb.jpg.b0407b66769397d62bbe3e9577eb4307.jpg

20200623_221459.thumb.jpg.ff8ee8931b43bdab712a2faf70310762.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

the Grim Reaper

From a clinical perspective could this product be evaluated as another potential cure for the pandemic that avails us...

• Like 1

Grill Masters...First time smoker here. I have a 2-tier BBQ Smoker and I'm going to give it a stab for the first time this weekend.

Any recommendation on a spice rub and a cut of meat for a first timer? Here is the catch, I am on a low carb diet and can't have sugar. Is there a sugar-less rub? Which is the preferred BBQ fuel? I can see this turning into a disaster my first time but fingers crossed. Everything is brand spanking new, do I have to season the grill before hand???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Grill Masters...First time smoker here. I have a 2-tier BBQ Smoker and I'm going to give it a stab for the first time this weekend.

Any recommendation on a spice rub and a cut of meat for a first timer? Here is the catch, I am on a low carb diet and can't have sugar. Is there a sugar-less rub? Which is the preferred BBQ fuel? I can see this turning into a disaster my first time but fingers crossed. Everything is brand spanking new, do I have to season the grill before hand???

Firstly what type of two tier BBQ (im assuming some sort of drum type smoker)?

Second not having sugar rules out any pork product leaving only beef or maybe lamb i n which case id go for a forgiving piece of meat like lamb shoulder.

Let the heat stabilise before throwing the meat is another good tip to adhere to.

4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Firstly what type of two tier BBQ (im assuming some sort of drum type smoker)?

Second not having sugar rules out any pork product leaving only beef or maybe lamb i n which case id go for a forgiving piece of meat like lamb shoulder.

Let the heat stabilise before throwing the meat is another good tip to adhere to.

ProQ Frontier BBQ Smoker Grill | BBQ Smokers | ProQ Smokers – ProQ ...

Do you leave both tiers on when smoking? It has a water pan for the lower tier but a few guys on youtube do away with it?

Lamb shoulder sounds good.

Edited by kelossus

Water pan is your friend (especially during your first cook) as it acts as a shock absorber neutralising any peaks or troughs in temps  keeping the environment moist and somewhat stable temp wise.

Some prefer to uses sand instead of water as it never has to be refilled but i reckon go for water initially.

• Like 1

Salt Pepper and garlic powder is a good basis for a rub, then add what flavours you like.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 10:25 PM, Tubularbells said:

Say hello to the Grim Reaper.

Appropriately named the Grim Reaper is my latest sausage creation. Smoked hand ground pork & beef sausage made using artisan small batch Carolina Reaper chilli infused gouda from Mill Grove Dairy, pickled Jalapeno chilli and my very own Devil Dust (made from mix of super hot chili's I grew last summer)

Got a bunch so if any Melbourne locals (Northern suburbs) want to try PM me. $18/kg RRP SNA discount $15/kg

Not for the faint of heart and no responsibility taken for any discomfort caused the next morning ?️??

20200620_151900.thumb.jpg.0e904ac8b878080f329c4da8b31dac7e.jpg

20200621_113207.thumb.jpg.b0407b66769397d62bbe3e9577eb4307.jpg

20200623_221459.thumb.jpg.ff8ee8931b43bdab712a2faf70310762.jpg

Doug! They look sensational!

(And I don't throw around my exclamation marks at random...)

????

If I send a  smallish box down can you fill it and send it back?(It's actually how I buy my cabanna...shoosh). The fermented stuff your doing would travel though ?

Looks great mate, you must be rapt.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Luc said:

Doug! They look sensational!

(And I don't throw around my exclamation marks at random...)

????

If I send a  smallish box down can you fill it and send it back?(It's actually how I buy my cabanna...shoosh). The fermented stuff your doing would travel though ?

Looks great mate, you must be rapt.

Thanks. but wouldn't like to travel these irrespective of ice box or not as the last thing I want is for anyone to get potentially sick from my products as once its in the mail I loose all control over food safety standards and wouldn't like to risk my licence (or more) due to bad shipping practices.

Whenever your in covid bleak city next ill make you some.

11 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Thanks. but wouldn't like to travel these irrespective of ice box or not as the last thing I want is for anyone to get potentially sick from my products as once its in the mail I loose all control over food safety standards and wouldn't like to risk my licence (or more) due to bad shipping practices.

Whenever your in covid bleak city next ill make you some.

Yeah was just being flippant although I do get my daughter to get the aged cabanna from Sth Melb markets and pops into a cardboard tube and 2-3 days later they're here and then they just hang in the pantry for a few months in the open air getting smaller and smaller(diameter).

I'll try and get Eggmiester to buy some and do the taste testing!

Will be down when  the planes are flying and covid is looking a bit more distant. 

6 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'll try and get Eggmiester to buy some and do the taste testing!

In true Pulp Fiction style  i'll have to report back to you, Egg's dead baby...Egg's dead. Can he handle the heat?

As for transport charcuterie is a bit different as it would contain less water and surely have nitrates added for safe extended preservation where as my reapers are all natural with just salt and smoke to extend shelf life.

@Tubularbells   poor old Eggy/Ygnvi, beaten from pillar to post the poor bugger. And yeah...the heat, I doubt he could but still...he's on here again in complete incognito mode and I bet he reads this.

My plea to him would  be: Ummm, Eggy person, could you buy some snags off Tubular and take them back to the castle and freeze them till I get down??

*His family cook whole lambs on a spit, they know how to cook meat. (Goats..ask him about goats on a char grill).

So if you get a PM from a stranger here...G.O.A.T. will be the P/W?

2 minutes ago, Luc said:

@Tubularbells   poor old Eggy/Ygnvi, beaten from pillar to post the poor bugger. And yeah...the heat, I doubt he could but still...he's on here again in complete incognito mode and I bet he reads this.

My plea to him would  be: Ummm, Eggy person, could you buy some snags off Tubular and take them back to the castle and freeze them till I get down??

*His family cook whole lambs on a spit, they know how to cook meat. (Goats..ask him about goats on a char grill).

So if you get a PM from a stranger here...G.O.A.T. will be the P/W?

Ohhhhh you had me at Goat!

...Being the blasphemous guy i am.

(oh and egg, there not nearly as hot as ive made out so shhhhhh)

• Haha 1

Having some promising success thus far. I ended up buying a 2.5kg Lamb Shoulder Roast. So far I have had the kettle hold 250 steady since 10:30am. I wrapped in alfoil after 3 hours. 250 seems to be on the high end of the recommended range but it has stayed consistent throughout so I don't want to touch it. I did have to top up the water pan at the 3 hour mark.

Is another 3 hours to be expected for a finished product?

Not BBQ related, but outdoor cooking it is.

Having been 'worded up' by my son in Germany, I now own a UUNI 3 pizza oven.

This portable, lightweight sucker heats up to 500C in ~15 mins, and my first pizza overcooked in about 1 minute.

I now cook them regularly in about 90 secs.

Beats waiting! ;)

They have all been fantastic. Tomato, chorizo chunks & goats cheese (with fresh basil leaves after cooking) is my current fav.

I am still crap at making dough, but practice or get someone else to make it!

I haven't cooked meat or vegies in it yet, but I did get a skillet & wood platter doover.

• Like 5

Getting ready for a 4th of July Party tomorrow   ''lets make Australia great again''

Beef ribs and Brahman hump, went for a real beefy rub last time, using my standard sweet pork this time, hopefully I stay sober enough to get shots of the cook and final fare.

IMG-0783.thumb.PNG.9220bec1fc2e6523b2d82bbad96c816d.PNG

IMG-0784.thumb.PNG.59e5d583df949e8555bc23cd770dd037.PNG  

Edited by Powerglide
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Gee Emm said:

This portable, lightweight sucker heats up to 500C in ~15 mins, and my first pizza overcooked in about 1 minute.

Beats waiting! ;)

They have all been fantastic. Tomato, chorizo chunks & goats cheese (with fresh basil leaves after cooking) is my current fav.

I haven't cooked meat or vegies in it yet, but I did get a skillet & wood platter doover.

Heard nothing but good things about these ovens. Very tempted myself but my backyard already resembles a BBQ showroom so will have to stick to doing my pizza's in the Kamado (which still does a fantastic job) for now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Gee Emm said:

Beats waiting! ;)

we are quite tempted too... but last effort of making dough was and abysmal failure .... ended up with some sort of spongy though still edible thing ! :D also figure its quite a possibility will end up a garden ornament after initial buzz wears off :D 

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Powerglide said:

Getting ready for a 4th of July Party tomorrow   ''lets make Australia great again''

Beef ribs and Brahman hump, went for a real beefy rub last time, using my standard sweet pork this time, hopefully I stay sober enough to get shots of the cook and final fare.

IMG-0783.thumb.PNG.9220bec1fc2e6523b2d82bbad96c816d.PNG

IMG-0784.thumb.PNG.59e5d583df949e8555bc23cd770dd037.PNG  

Rub it in mate (pun intended) as here in Sicktoria we're back in lockdown and can't do jack! ?

But jokes aside thats some lovely slabs of beef right there. Never heard of a Brahman hump before though.

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Rub it in mate (pun intended) as here in Sicktoria we're back in lockdown and can't do jack! ?

But jokes aside thats some lovely slabs of beef right there. Never heard of a Brahman hump before though.

Not my suburb! 

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

we are quite tempted too... but last effort of making dough was and abysmal failure .... ended up with some sort of spongy though still edible thing ! :D also figure its quite a possibility will end up a garden ornament after initial buzz wears off :D 

Interestingly, we have found a twin pack of thin pizza bases that are very suitable, for when you just want pizza without the dough hassle. under $7 for a twin pack. It works. ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, betty boop said:

Get a stone and use the weber Q. I've had good results but they need around 10 minutes rather than @Gee Emm's 90 seconds.

I use the Kamado now to get the wood fire taste but the Weber Q should not be scoffed at for pizza. I just use supermarket bases but some pizza shops will sell bases.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

as here in Sicktoria we're back in lockdown and can't do jack! ?

Your not locked down are you? We aren't but we have cut back on our outside ventures and upped our cleaning and sanitiser use again.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

Your not locked down are you? We aren't but we have cut back on our outside ventures and upped our cleaning and sanitiser use again.

Na but im on the verge as many surrounding 'burbs are. Just a matter of time I reckon before Dumbo locks us all down.

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Na but im on the verge as many surrounding 'burbs are. Just a matter of time I reckon before Dumbo locks us all down.

They should lock the whole state down again. Leaving it to the common sense of the public was stupid from the start. 
Agree though, it won’t be long till they have to. 

Edited by jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

They should lock the whole state down again. Leaving it to the common sense of the public was stupid from the start. 
Agree though, it won’t be long till they have to. 

I think all of Melbourne anyway if number start increasing. I'm on the border of 2 councils and neither have an active case, and hardly any in any eastern suburb.

Vic country shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as suburbs with 20+ cases. Let them stay open and bounce back economically. My parents have been in NSW for 3 weeks and I don't want them to come home. Mum has medical appointments next week they are returning for, but I doubt they'll be able to return to Merimbula NSW to stay with my sister.

Guest jakeyb77
59 minutes ago, blybo said:

I think all of Melbourne anyway if number start increasing. I'm on the border of 2 councils and neither have an active case, and hardly any in any eastern suburb.

Vic country shouldn't be tarred with the same brush as suburbs with 20+ cases. Let them stay open and bounce back economically. My parents have been in NSW for 3 weeks and I don't want them to come home. Mum has medical appointments next week they are returning for, but I doubt they'll be able to return to Merimbula NSW to stay with my sister.

You have to mate... people are too busy trying to work out ways to beat the lockdown. People are being smuggled across the border already. 
There needs to be a stronger hand as these reckless morons are costing lives, jobs and future economic pain. 
you can’t logistically lock down individual suburbs. The whole state will close within days will be my prediction. 

Edited by jakeyb77
2 hours ago, blybo said:

Get a stone and use the weber Q. I've had good results but they need around 10 minutes rather than @Gee Emm's 90 seconds.

I use the Kamado now to get the wood fire taste but the Weber Q should not be scoffed at for pizza. I just use supermarket bases but some pizza shops will sell bases.

been meaning to get a stone..... will also check out some dough recipes... a fair bit of baking goes on here, a few recipes around, but i think matter of getting the right base recipe for kind of baking pizza will get ...

Guest jakeyb77
8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

been meaning to get a stone..... will also check out some dough recipes... a fair bit of baking goes on here, a few recipes around, but i think matter of getting the right base recipe for kind of baking pizza will get ...

I’ve used the stone in the Weber Q for pizza also. Found it takes a bloody long time to get the stone up to temp but works pretty good. 
Home made dough makes all the difference. 
Our local pizza place is selling their dough during COVID as a quick take home pack. Great idea 

Edited by jakeyb77