Jump to content

Anyone else into BBQ?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I have a leg of lamb to do tomorrow. 

 

Anybody have a go to recipe? Failing that I will go the garlic and rosemary route.

That is my go too!

 

Pierce flesh every 5cm (approx) and insert a sliver of fresh garlic and rosemary. rub with some extra virgin olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Doesn't get better than that!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

A short break from all that delicious food to announce my BBQ kitchen is 99% complete. Did some rearranging since the cook last Thursday and ordered a new workbench with shelves to house all my spices

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Guest jakeyb77
28 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I just bought one of these.  On special at Bunnings at the moment. (Oops not anymore) Get 4 probes, The pictures on the Bunnings website are not exactly correct, You get 3 "sharp" probes and one "blunt" probe. At least I did. 

 

App a little clunky, maybe less polished is the word, but works great! 

Blunt probe will be for cooker temp. Other three for food 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jakeyb77
20 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

That is my go too!

 

Pierce flesh every 5cm (approx) and insert a sliver of fresh garlic and rosemary. rub with some extra virgin olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Doesn't get better than that!

Leg?!?!? Why waste the rest of the beast ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jakeyb77 said:

Leg?!?!? Why waste the rest of the beast ??

Well not all of us have 1800  sized rotisseries capable of doing the whole animal but yeah agree with you on principal ?

Link to post
Share on other sites




50 minutes ago, audiohippo said:

F78B95AA-6B1C-4578-8AB4-7C900FA8458E.thumb.jpeg.c605cd61c7e9c48a5ab10d0f2d236066.jpeg

 

9BC710BD-1275-49CB-B6F5-317EDDA60A0D.thumb.jpeg.86f6d8c41de12b7e815967741ae50064.jpeg

Can almost smell it here in the West.....Enjoy it with the Saltrams..:thumb: ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/02/2020 at 1:36 PM, John Doe said:

I have a leg of lamb to do tomorrow. 

 

Anybody have a go to recipe? Failing that I will go the garlic and rosemary route.

First attempt came out pretty good. I over salted it a little bit, but since it was just the outside it was fine. Cooked to an internal temp of 66 C, which supposedly is med/well. (I had a guest that doesn't like blood?) Came out tender and moist. I can still taste it now. :P

 

These probes are like magic. Takes the guess work out of it.

 

 

IMG_1278.JPG

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

So not exactly BBQ, but I did use my Weber to hot smoke some home made bacon.

 

First time I have tried to make it. Came out way too salty, but I soaked it for 24 hrs and that seems to have done the trick. I had used a dry cure, but I think next time will be a wet cure and see which method I prefer.

 

I made BLT's for lunch with nice thick slices.

 

 

IMG_1295-1.thumb.JPG.5a3e38d083c46b40a7c5fb54aabf1aa4.JPGIMG_1298.thumb.JPG.7e5c3806bda8bb806fe89d6a5e7bd5ee.JPGIMG_1299-2.thumb.JPG.a66dfd831ba0dd9e7a407745c9e9c41a.JPG

 

 

 

 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, John Doe said:

So not exactly BBQ, but I did use my Weber to hot smoke some home made bacon.

 

First time I have tried to make it. Came out way too salty, but I soaked it for 24 hrs and that seems to have done the trick. I had used a dry cure, but I think next time will be a wet cure and see which method I prefer.

 

I made BLT's for lunch with nice thick slices.

 

 

IMG_1295-1.thumb.JPG.5a3e38d083c46b40a7c5fb54aabf1aa4.JPGIMG_1298.thumb.JPG.7e5c3806bda8bb806fe89d6a5e7bd5ee.JPGIMG_1299-2.thumb.JPG.a66dfd831ba0dd9e7a407745c9e9c41a.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

Looks superb.?

 

I also do a dry brine and don't find it too salty  Perhaps cured too long?

 

I do a 50:50 mix of raw sugar & salt along with some cure#2 for colour and to ensure no nasties inside.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

 

Looks superb.?

 

I also do a dry brine and don't find it too salty  Perhaps cured too long?

 

I do a 50:50 mix of raw sugar & salt along with some cure#2 for colour and to ensure no nasties inside.

 

 

Thanks. I used a ratio 2:1 Salt/sugar and curing salt.  Possibly your recipe with equal parts salt and sugar offsets the saltiness?

 

I cured it for 7 days, which the instructions called for. Possibly too long since this section of the pork belly was not really thick. Maybe 1" to 1 1/2". As a beginner I was more worried about not curing long enough. I bought a full pork belly and cut it in half, so the other half, sitting in the freezer is a lot thicker.

 

Luckily soaking it for 24 hours sorted it. It turned out great. All part of the learning process I guess. :)

 

I will try a wet pickle next time just because I am curious, however the dry cure was very easy and convenient.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried something a bit different today.

Hard day in the office with the wind, fancy fan assistance with probes would have made life easier. 

 

Anyone pick the cut? 

 

IMG_0699.thumb.PNG.d5d6410ac1fb390c4ecb4be5ab9db806.PNG

 

 

IMG_0702.thumb.PNG.67f6cdcbf3ff9103ced4617e9fd5d9fd.PNG

 

IMG_0701.thumb.PNG.a0d57ad54d12cc02d2b430175bb20f5e.PNG

 

Brahman Hump 

 

Edited by Powerglide
Cut answer
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve managed a few average attempts but this is melt in the mouth delicious, hotdiggettydog!!

1DCCA949-8D48-4149-AB7E-B580DD21A4CC.jpeg

5CB2B734-9142-4DA7-BC59-F514BBA72AD3.jpeg

FFF8A150-1BA1-406E-8276-D86733AC7F37.jpeg

5099A853-9B64-4B65-B591-70B00B2C7778.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, mtf said:

I’ve managed a few average attempts but this is melt in the mouth delicious, hotdiggettydog!!

1DCCA949-8D48-4149-AB7E-B580DD21A4CC.jpeg

5CB2B734-9142-4DA7-BC59-F514BBA72AD3.jpeg

FFF8A150-1BA1-406E-8276-D86733AC7F37.jpeg

5099A853-9B64-4B65-B591-70B00B2C7778.jpeg

Oh la la...??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

gosh we can't let this thread go cold ! isolation is a good reason to fire up the bbq :D 

 

well I dont need any excuses, I picked up a small stack of lamb chops (not sure the particular cut) as I normally get the little cutlets but this is all I could get,

 

IMG_1062.jpeg

 

hoping a nice easter sunday lunch for us. not something having done before on the webber Q any thoughts guys ? planning to indian style yoghurt marinade and leave for a day or two ! 3-4 min a side on medium heat am thinking ? or should I go high ?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2020 at 7:07 PM, Powerglide said:

Anyone pick the cut? 

 

No idea what they call it in English, looks to me like a Lendenkotelett,  number 7:

 

1600px-Schwein-Ganz_svg.png.11fd85d2a5128e066a69bf920714fe6f.png

 

 

Either that, or a prime cut of Wuhan bat ?

 

Very lean, how did it turn out? I don't normally trust lean pork :) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Bat or Pig 

 

the hump off a Brahman cow, treated it just like brisket and it tasted very similar but the texture was tighter. Made for an excellent cold cut.

 

great value but once the word gets out watch the price soar like every other cheap cut of meat has

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, betty boop said:

gosh we can't let this thread go cold ! isolation is a good reason to fire up the bbq :D 

 

well I dont need any excuses, I picked up a small stack of lamb chops (not sure the particular cut) as I normally get the little cutlets but this is all I could get,

 

IMG_1062.jpeg

 

hoping a nice easter sunday lunch for us. not something having done before on the webber Q any thoughts guys ? planning to indian style yoghurt marinade and leave for a day or two ! 3-4 min a side on medium heat am thinking ? or should I go high ?

 

Hey Al, these are cut  from the lamb shoulder so will have more fat (and flavor than the regular rib chop. Definitely require a low-to medium cook temp otherwise they turn to leather and I like your idea of marinating which will also assist with tenderisation and juiciness....YUM!

 

I used the following recipe recently for lamb shoulder and turned out great. Even know it was for kebabs I reckon it would still be  awesome o  what you have. Give it a try if you dont have anything else in mind. 

20200409_071633.jpg

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Hey Al, these are cut  from the lamb shoulder so will have more fat (and flavor than the regular rib chop. Definitely require a low-to medium cook temp otherwise they turn to leather and I like your idea of marinating which will also assist with tenderisation and juiciness....YUM!

 

I used the following recipe recently for lamb shoulder and turned out great. Even know it was for kebabs I reckon it would still be  awesome o  what you have. Give it a try if you dont have anything else in mind. 

that recipe looks very yum too ! thanks for including .... am really eager to give it a go :D really appreciate identifying the cut of meat too ! thanks for identifying the cut as well, I knew someone like self who knows meat would come to rescue. Always good to know what actually eating :D wife says these are jumbo chops :D  will definitely cook these low to medium so as not to leatherise ... looking forward to more juicy version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Powerglide said:

Not Bat or Pig 

 

the hump off a Brahman cow, treated it just like brisket and it tasted very similar but the texture was tighter. Made for an excellent cold cut.

 

great value but once the word gets out watch the price soar like every other cheap cut of meat has

 

 

Wow, I wouldn't have picked a cow...

Edited by Steffen
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this recipe for marinated BBQ Lamb Shoulder off an Israeli Soldier, Covid had nothing on some of her stories. 

 

2 tbsp each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and sumac, plus extra sumac to serve

6 - 10 cloves of garlic crushed 

2 lemons, rind finely grated, lemons thinly sliced

3 tbsp olive oil

 

Pound coriander, spices, garlic, rind and 2 tsp fine sea salt with a mortar and pestle then mix in oil to form a paste. Tenderise meat with AK-47 (optional) and rub paste all over lamb. Put a layer of lemon slices in the bottom of a dish, lay the lamb on top and cover with more lemon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

 

BBQ on open flame, but as Doug said not too hot and definitely not too long. 

 

Goes good at any BBQ  with the normal fair, but you can go all out with a cuscus based salad and roasted Mediterranean veggies with balsamic vinegar. 

 

I have also tried cooking them this way, layer as per above in a casserole dish add a cup of water and slow bake, lid on, till tender - Australian tagine 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Powerglide said:

I got this recipe for marinated BBQ Lamb Shoulder off an Israeli Soldier, Covid had nothing on some of her stories. 

 

2 tbsp each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and sumac, plus extra sumac to serve

6 - 10 cloves of garlic crushed 

2 lemons, rind finely grated, lemons thinly sliced

3 tbsp olive oil

 

Pound coriander, spices, garlic, rind and 2 tsp fine sea salt with a mortar and pestle then mix in oil to form a paste. Tenderise meat with AK-47 (optional) and rub paste all over lamb. Put a layer of lemon slices in the bottom of a dish, lay the lamb on top and cover with more lemon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

 

BBQ on open flame, but as Doug said not too hot and definitely not too long. 

 

Goes good at any BBQ  with the normal fair, but you can go all out with a cuscus based salad and roasted Mediterranean veggies with balsamic vinegar. 

 

I have also tried cooking them this way, layer as per above in a casserole dish add a cup of water and slow bake, lid on, till tender - Australian tagine 

 

love sounds of this.... even without ak47 :D 

 

have the mortar and pestle to give suitable pounding ! 

 

will keep this recipe for another time as definitely want to give a go.... perhaps when whole family can get togther again. would be a great match I agree with cous cous and mediterranean char grilled vegies

 

given doug's TBs recipe a go this time... we might grill some veggies while at it and do cous cous as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Powerglide said:

I got this recipe for marinated BBQ Lamb Shoulder off an Israeli Soldier, Covid had nothing on some of her stories. 

 

2 tbsp each coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and sumac, plus extra sumac to serve

6 - 10 cloves of garlic crushed 

2 lemons, rind finely grated, lemons thinly sliced

3 tbsp olive oil

 

Pound coriander, spices, garlic, rind and 2 tsp fine sea salt with a mortar and pestle then mix in oil to form a paste. Tenderise meat with AK-47 (optional) and rub paste all over lamb. Put a layer of lemon slices in the bottom of a dish, lay the lamb on top and cover with more lemon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 

 

BBQ on open flame, but as Doug said not too hot and definitely not too long. 

 

Goes good at any BBQ  with the normal fair, but you can go all out with a cuscus based salad and roasted Mediterranean veggies with balsamic vinegar. 

 

I have also tried cooking them this way, layer as per above in a casserole dish add a cup of water and slow bake, lid on, till tender - Australian tagine 

 

 

 

 

Very similar style and ingredients used in Turkey whilst I was there. Less the AK47 of course. I presume the Uzi is too light to use as an alternate to the AK in this case.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2020 at 7:56 AM, betty boop said:

that recipe looks very yum too ! thanks for including .... am really eager to give it a go :D really appreciate identifying the cut of meat too ! thanks for identifying the cut as well, I knew someone like self who knows meat would come to rescue. Always good to know what actually eating :D wife says these are jumbo chops :D  will definitely cook these low to medium so as not to leatherise ... looking forward to more juicy version.

whoa ..... !!!!!

 

gave your recipe for the lamb a go @Tubularbells, marinating a couple of days .... came up an absolute treat !!!!

IMG_1079.jpeg

 

IMG_1080.jpeg

 

juicy juicy scrumptious !!!!

 

do loose quite a bit of heat loading them on.... so ended up pretty much high heat..... though quite thin pieces anyhow...

 

and gosh juicy delicious... best lamb we have had yet ! what a cracker of a cut ! 

 

only sad part we usually have whole family over for easter so missed that aspect... but I dont think this would have been enough to feed the lot anyways :D 

 

what a nice cut. discovery by accident for me.... will be doing this again, BIG hit with the family !!! :) 

 

ps only change I made to your recipe Doug was I chopped finely half a large chilli...seeds removed. also rather than buzz the stuff up in the processor I jsut hand chopped all the ingredients...was jsut enough to coat the 8 lamb shoulder chops....

 

and oh yeah bit of a clean up of the bbq after ... but well worth it ....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Because bacon makes everything better (Especially during these current times)!
 
Cured some pork belly using a simple salt/sugar cure along with a few herbs from the garden thrown in for good measure. Put in the fridge for a week, rinsed and then smoked for approx.3 hours.  Sliced this morning and am now in a bacon coma!  ??

bacon3.jpg

bacon2.jpg

bacon1.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:
Because bacon makes everything better (Especially during these current times)!
 
Cured some pork belly using a simple salt/sugar cure along with a few herbs from the garden thrown in for good measure. Put in the fridge for a week, rinsed and then smoked for approx.3 hours.  Sliced this morning and am now in a bacon coma!  ??

bacon3.jpg

bacon2.jpg

bacon1.jpg

Bacon makes everything better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Silly question time: Is it that easy to make bacon from a piece of belly pork?

I'm worried if it isn't cured enough someone may get ill.

I have 4 pork belly joints in the freezer all around the 1 to 1.25 Kg mark, worth a try?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Batty said:

Silly question time: Is it that easy to make bacon from a piece of belly pork?

I'm worried if it isn't cured enough someone may get ill.

I have 4 pork belly joints in the freezer all around the 1 to 1.25 Kg mark, worth a try?

2 ways you can do it, wet or dry brine. Wet involves submerging it in a salt/sugar solution for a period of time and dry is basically just covering the belly in a salt/sugar cure. With both of these methods you need to paty attention to the time you "cure" as they can become too salty but if your a few days over to can always soak in fresh water for a few hours to leach some of the salt back out.

 

Another foolproof method is whats called an equilibrium brine. This method uses a precise amount of cure per kg of meat making it impossible to over cure the meat.

 

If its your first time id suggest you go here as it will give you the precise amounts based on what you have via its handy calculator.

 

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=561

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my best Dr.Frankenstein voice "ITS ALIVE....."

 

New controller is in and working. I now have remote control of my pit but better still I can now pre program a series of different temps for my long overnight cooks which is going to make almost too easy.... All gotta do now is drink beer and relax!

 

 

20200418_125205.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'll be dry a brine first as it is less messy (Mrs B doesn't like mess). :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Question to all experts out there...

 

I was able to get a pretty good haul of recently cut tree, which is drying as of now, as you can see.

 

IMG_20200509_162929.thumb.jpg.8b73c7614342bd4efcdba6bce5c0e733.jpg

 

Obviously this is all very wet, it's sitting now in the carport, outside but covered from rain. Anyone venture a guess when these might be dry for a pit fire bbq? My uneducated guess is late summer '21, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

 

Cheers,

 

Alberto

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...