Anyone else into BBQ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Rig - Primo Oval XL The results

Fresh Barramundi, Valencia Orange, my back yard coriander, extra virgin olive oil.   Cooked on the Weber with the fish never touching the hotplate - instead atop the oranges with the bbq lid

Little fathers day present to myself.      

@@Dirty_vinylpusher nothing wrong with the simple stuff. What did whack on top of that chop?

I like to pick a fresh sprig of rosemary and throw that between the chop and the grill along with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt = YUM

I'm a firm believer in - A good piece of meat only needs salt, pepper and the right amount of heat/cooking time.

I do like to get creative and raid the herb n spice cupboard when making my curries and stir-fry creations however, as well as marinades, stews etc.

:)

For the record, that lamb chop was just from our local IGA, and it was better than some of the ones I've paid more for at local butcher shops.

IGA has picked their game up, it seems.

Just finished two chuck steaks (one for me, one for my lovely wife*) on the barbie. Oh so tasty! I find chuck steak and skirt steak (americans call it flank steak) are an excellent non expensive option for the barbie. They are packed with that meaty flavour, plus some fat (not too much) to make it soft enough that you don't have to chew like a madman. I tend to cook the skirt steak about 10-15 minutes per side on low (turning it around every 5 or so minutes) without it getting dry in the middle. It soft of gets a bit thicker by the time you're done. And juicy as you wish! Haven't tried it? Give it a run.

* DVP, is that an acceptable name for SWMBO? :sarc:

• 4 weeks later...

@@Zammo awesome work there mate (both BBQ & food)

Had a crack at making ham last weekend that turned out amazing so am uping the ante and doing a whole leg for Xmas. Smoked it on some applewood with a fig jam glaze.

post-122789-0-92334200-1449125650_thumb.

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2

Had a crack at making ham last weekend that turned out amazing so am uping the ante and doing a whole leg for Xmas. Smoked it on some applewood with a fig jam glaze.

Ta mate. I've ordered a 7-8kg brisket for Christmas. The holy grail of low n slow.

Wow that a chunk of brisket! I'd be interested in the rub you use as well as the type of wood for smoking. Mines typically a basic mix of salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder & onion powder spritzed with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.

Xmas order placed with TB !  :thumb:

• Like 2

Wow that a chunk of brisket! I'd be interested in the rub you use as well as the type of wood for smoking. Mines typically a basic mix of salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder & onion powder spritzed with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar.

Going to go Texas style on this one - just Kosher Salt and black pepper 50:50. Mallee root charcoal with hickory chunks. Probably spritz with a mix of beef stock & cider vinegar first few hours.

• Like 1

I love to do low and slow full chuck just with salt and pepper. Got to do one again soon.

@@Tubularbells that ham looks awesome, I have been wanting to do one for ages, might start off with similar a size to the one you did. Did you use nitrates?

Got a locally raised free range pork shoulder dry brining in the fridge. Making pulled pork this arvo

Good idea that. Made a bit myself today.

d6b8e6356f70efa3dd822f5a6222549b.jpgfa2ebdc77f15336208db6192594db1ef.jpg

403201809f99e007615ac27e3ded349a.jpg

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing is safe in my chop shop.

Been working on converting a 4-burner BBQ to a 2-burner.....

post-145321-0-52629400-1450247729_thumb.

Cut it down the middle and stuck it back together.....

post-145321-0-33175900-1450247764_thumb.

Surprisingly, the main gas line was steel, so I could cut and shut that easily as well...

Thought I was gonna have to get someone to braze/silver solder/whatever it

Made some legs for it

post-145321-0-18564100-1450247831_thumb.

Looking good :)

post-145321-0-93668600-1450247853_thumb.

But why, whyyyyy is he doing this?

Crab cooking, of course

post-145321-0-71513600-1450247892_thumb.

Got this big crab cooker at the markets a while ago and thought it would be a good idea to build a standalone burner for it.

looked at those gas rings, building one from scratch etc, but then a mate said he had an old BBQ I could have, so,.....

post-145321-0-50214400-1450248020_thumb.

Had to go buy a new gas hose/regulator.....

Had two here but they were both a bit long in the tooth and the wrong size fittings etc.....

Just fired it up earlier and all good.

No leaks

No explosions

No fireballs

post-145321-0-49120800-1450248128_thumb.

I plan to make a hood for it, burn some smoking chips inside it and duct the smoke to a separate smoking chamber as well.

And it can be used as a portable BBQ for whenever that may be needed.

I got a weber one touch gold in Mornington peninsula i would swap for grog or records. If you make a generous offer i'll chuck in a brand new bead lighting chimney.

Moved onto the Kamado now...keeping a couple of webers on hand for Christmas etc, but they dont get much play now. I have plumbed in gas to my BBQ area, but got rid of my 6 burner - never going back to gas.

I didnt read the whole thread, but are you weber guys familiar with the snake method? Run some tightly placed beads in rows of 2 or 3 around the edge of the weber, sprinkle with your wood chips and add a few coals lit in your chimney...it'll burn along the snake very slowly and consistently, allowing you to get your 110deg for 10hours like the pro or owners of more exe BBQs.

Cheers 

Edited by JPete9

Charcoal can be almost as dangerous. Try opening the hood quickly on a super hot Kamodo as bask in the warmth of the impending inferno about to engulf you with the backdraft you just created!

....Dont ask me how I know :P

Taken 4hrs into brisket attempt number 2. Number 1 ended up cooking too quick and became pulled beef. Very very tasty. :)

I rub it with Dijon mustard then a Texas rub. 6hrs at ~120c with hickory wood on charcoal chunks. Then 6hrs wrapped in foil, paper, foil with an added chunk of butter.

Is resting now and will crack open the foil in about 45minutes. The suspense is killing me :P

535347_10153468841424495_120294762763928

12376754_10153468841324495_5333854180905

• Like 2

I got a weber one touch gold in Mornington peninsula i would swap for grog or records. If you make a generous offer i'll chuck in a brand new bead lighting chimney.

Moved onto the Kamado now...keeping a couple of webers on hand for Christmas etc, but they dont get much play now. I have plumbed in gas to my BBQ area, but got rid of my 6 burner - never going back to gas.

I didnt read the whole thread, but are you weber guys familiar with the snake method? Run some tightly placed beads in rows of 2 or 3 around the edge of the weber, sprinkle with your wood chips and add a few coals lit in your chimney...it'll burn along the snake very slowly and consistently, allowing you to get your 110deg for 10hours like the pro or owners of more exe BBQs.

Cheers

I've never done a snake but I reckon next brisket I'll give it a shot

Pity you are on the other side of the bay to me, I'd take you up on the offer of a swap