Tubularbells

Anyone else into BBQ?

For just a couple of steaks my favourite BBQ is this hi-tech gem bought for around $5 about 40 years ago. :thumb: 

DSC_2227_zpswllzmmnv.jpg

And an action shot of it getting all fired up. :)

a50e4566-8193-4299-86bc-1d41eb2b4a5a_zps

I wanna get one of these to replace the coffee table set up.

$_57.JPG

[/url]

Ah, a line-array-bbq... Edited by Jonesy_SA

digital bbq-ing! 

never seen that before. can you upgrade the cables for more 'meat on the bones'?  :P

Ha yep already replaced the switched mode supply with battery power and in all seriousness did notice an improvement on the digital displays (less flicker)

Next up is audiophile plugs and cryo wire on the temp sensors...

Turned out a treat with the meat just falling apart when I finally took it off at around 11am. It's butter soft with no chewing required but in all honesty these type of meat cuts are pretty forgiving so such a tight temp control isn't really required but it also does all kinds of other stuff where you can set up to 4 different temps for a cook ( e.g. low and slow to tenderise the meat then high temp at the end for a few mins to cracke up the skin...mmm)

Ha yep already replaced the switched mode supply with battery power and in all seriousness did notice an improvement on the digital displays (less flicker)

Next up is audiophile plugs and cryo wire on the temp sensors...

Turned out a treat with the meat just falling apart when I finally took it off at around 11am. It's butter soft with no chewing required but in all honesty these type of meat cuts are pretty forgiving so such a tight temp control isn't really required but it also does all kinds of other stuff where you can set up to 4 different temps for a cook ( e.g. low and slow to tenderise the meat then high temp at the end for a few mins to cracke up the skin...mmm)

*jumps in ute and heads south*

So here she is. The outer crust (bark as its lovingly referred to) although appears to look burnt is in fact one of the tastiest parts. It colour isn't due to high "cremation" temps but instead is the caramelisation of the brown sugar, salt and spiced rub. The pinkish part beneath the outer crust is the "smoke ring" from the initial hickory chunks I threw in at the start to provide a smoky flavour.

Best served in fresh buns with some nice coleslaw.

post-122789-0-17952300-1446962481_thumb.

Edited by Tubularbells

That looks sensational. A mighty effort

Many people's inability to cook a good piece of steak (or even sausages) on a BBQ baffles and saddens me.

:(

Many people's inability to cook a good piece of steak (or even sausages) on a BBQ baffles and saddens me.

:(

I suspect that in many instances it would be because the person doing the cooking duties is well and truly hammered. They will gobble down a cremated snag in between swigs of a stubbie.

I suspect that in many instances it would be because the person doing the cooking duties is well and truly hammered. They will gobble down a cremated snag in between swigs of a stubbie.

A lot of people seem to think that you need to turn a steak 50 times and cook it for 15 minutes

Nothing super exciting.

Lamb chop, onion and 'mata.

And some salad

Was gonna slice up a sweet potato and chuck on but couldn't be bothered.

post-145321-0-05034000-1446972736_thumb.

@@Dirty_vinylpusher nothing wrong with the simple stuff. What did whack on top of that chop?

I like to pick a fresh sprig of rosemary and throw that between the chop and the grill along with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt = YUM

@@Dirty_vinylpusher nothing wrong with the simple stuff. What did whack on top of that chop?

I like to pick a fresh sprig of rosemary and throw that between the chop and the grill along with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt = YUM

I'm a firm believer in - A good piece of meat only needs salt, pepper and the right amount of heat/cooking time.

I do like to get creative and raid the herb n spice cupboard when making my curries and stir-fry creations however, as well as marinades, stews etc.

:)

For the record, that lamb chop was just from our local IGA, and it was better than some of the ones I've paid more for at local butcher shops.

IGA has picked their game up, it seems.

:)

Just finished two chuck steaks (one for me, one for my lovely wife*) on the barbie. Oh so tasty! I find chuck steak and skirt steak (americans call it flank steak) are an excellent non expensive option for the barbie. They are packed with that meaty flavour, plus some fat (not too much) to make it soft enough that you don't have to chew like a madman. I tend to cook the skirt steak about 10-15 minutes per side on low (turning it around every 5 or so minutes) without it getting dry in the middle. It soft of gets a bit thicker by the time you're done. And juicy as you wish! Haven't tried it? Give it a run.

* DVP, is that an acceptable name for SWMBO? :sarc:

The Rig - Primo Oval XL

0593da075f16eb761b34128f766631ca.jpg

The results

e37be79210762b391a6268cb4f497328.jpg

45c3d8a86ba85bde1e37ab286b4923cd.jpg

fc77a1a099449ceef192d257553dbc7d.jpg

Edited by Zammo

Oh no... not at lunchtime....

That is meeeeaaaan!!!!!

:unsure:

Oh no... not at lunchtime....

That is meeeeaaaan!!!!!

:unsure:

Sorry mate.  It's just on 3pm here in Melbourne, so my tummies full.