Currently Purchasing

I've waited a long time for this disc to arrive, Connecticut psych rockers, Mountain Movers EP, New Jam.

5b5b5c0151235_main.jpg

I've included some info about the band as most will not have heard of them. They float my boat

The Mountain Movers are among my current faves, because they know how to freak the **** out. Formed in the mid-2000s, the Connecticut band started as a showcase for the songs of New Haven indie rocker Dan Greene, and since then their cosmic trajectory has been eerily similar to that of many mid-60s rock groups who started out playing fairly straightforward pop but ventured into blistering psychedelia by the end of the decade. The Mountain Movers put out their debut LP, We’ve Walked in Hell and There Is Life After Death, in 2005 and then rotated through a cast of east-coasters until Greene linked up with regular bassist (and avowed heavy head) Rick Omonte. The band adopted a slightly more folk-psych vibe for 2010’s Apple Mountain, and by the 2015 album Death Magic the Mountain Movers had filled out a stable lineup with drummer Ross Menze and guitar shredder Kryssi Battaline (who leads the tripped-out Headroom, with whom Omonte frequently collaborates). They also changed musical direction again, writing new tunes that spiraled into elongated improvisational jams. This new sonic plan crystallized on the 2016 cassingle “Sunday Drive” b/w “No Plans,” where the Mountain Movers spread out into long-form Germanic motorik territory in two excursions that lasted more than eight minutes apiece. For their self-titled 2017 release, this crew of cosmonauts signed to local label Trouble in Mind and headed further into the heart of the sun—bookending the LP with two expansive tracks that run past the ten-minute mark. On last year’s Pink Skies the Mountain Movers make completely fresh-sounding jam rock that also recalls the best aspects of discordant 90s noise-rock bands from the east coast (Dustdevils, Vermonster, Luxurious Bags) and New Zealand (Trash, Scorched Earth Policy). At the same time, they maintain a dynamic, psyched-out 60s west-coast flavor—and an Eastern vibe not unlike Anatolian rock stars Bunalim or Erkin Koray. Though written-out tunes remain at the core of the Mountain Movers’ music, onstage they head into uncharted realms that are best felt in the moment—if you head out to this gig, in other words, smoke ’em if you got ’em.   v

• Like 3

Hi All

An arrival from yesterday, most are to replace / update original albums and a couple of fillers to collection.

Procol Harum, Self Titled                                    Hawkwind Live Seventy Nine                                 Sade, So Far Box Set of all Studio Albums

1149372828_Arrivals27_10_2020.jpg.cf7d376cc3c81ce7646c87a92dccc71c.jpg

Rolling Stones, Through The Past, Darkly                    The Flaming Lips, The Mushroom Tapes                   The Doors Absolutely Live

JJ

• Like 4

'With Teeth' by Nine Inch Nails.. Spinning a CD, very rare occasion but I haven't been able to shake the idea that I want to listen to this album for a week or so now and the opportunity presented itself. Probably haven't listened to it since a week or two after relase TBH. Hopefully the hotel guests are NIN fans as it's quite loud and aggressive lol

IMG_20201029_170802.thumb.jpg.ccaa03bce6bce2962bd941998490af8b.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All,

13 hours ago, Dilettanteque said:

What's the EOB like JJ?

To me at times like early Radiohead, circa mid 90s, at a few other times mid 00s, but only for a small part of the album. It is very good.

JJ

• Like 2

Hi All,

Arrivals today, all to replace CDs, except Split Enz, to have one to have without using the hologram copy.

The Presets, Blow Up                                                                 Midnight Oil, Red Sails In The Sunset

1485495877_NewArrivals05_11_2020.jpg.29367d5e51a4df218450efcf887875d8.jpg

Split Enz, True Colours                                                        Dire Straits, Making Movies

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 6

Hi All,

An Arrival after lunch, David Bowie, Live In Japan 1990

1268497718_DavidBowieLiveInJapan1990.jpg.ca3183486048136dd9a966985662ed61.jpg

Tracklist:
A1    Space Oddity    4:04
A2    Changes    2:54
A3    TVC 15    4:22
A4    Rebel Rebel    3:11
A5    Be My Wife    2:48
B1    Ashes To Ashes    5:14
B2    Starman    3:44
B3    Fashion    4:54
B4    Life On Mars?    4:01
C1    Blue Jean    3:13
C2    Let's Dance    4:38
C3    Stay    6:41
C4    China Girl    5:42
D1    Sound And Vision    3:24
D2    Ziggy Stardust    3:47
D3    Station To Station    8:06
D4    Young Americans    6:21
E1    Suffragette City    3:14
E2    Fame    6:02
E3    Heroes    5:30
E4    Panic In Detroit    4:05
F1    Pretty Pink Rose    5:21
F2    Modern Love    4:45
F3    The Jean Genie / Gloria    5:21
F4    Rock 'N' Roll Suicide    3:39

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 4

I've had an almost virtual avalanche of new vinyl arrivals, a combination of some new arrivals coming in the post, as well as our first trip to Melbourne since June to pick up records delivered to my Melbourne address. 

First, a local arrival from Detroit, via Discogs, a near mint quality LP of one of the greatest white blues debut albums of all time, the absolutely excellent

816-vBAL0zL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Mind you, if I were Charlie I would have been pretty pissed off that my record label couldn't even spell my name properly. Harvey Mandel on guitar as the icing on the cake. A blues classic from 1967

• Like 1

Now to a major disappointment. It was on a slow boat anyway, but I had the triple LP re-release of Biosphere's Dropsonde waiting for me in Melbourne. It's a great album, but all 3 discs are so warped that even the Simplicity struggled to track them without an audible impact. Does anyone in north east Victoria have a disc flattener?

15417826_1126167607.jpg

I have a real conundrum now, I'm about to post the SNA 2020 Album of the Year. This would be a clear runaway winner for me in what has been a surprisingly strong year except, not only have Sault released this - Untitled (Rise) this year, but a few months ago they also released Untitled (Black Is) that also should be Album of the Year.

sault-untitled-rise-1600387919-608x608.j

• Like 2