Currently Purchasing

• 2 weeks later...

Just received these in the mail today.

Steve Gadd Band

Manu Katche

Poppy Ackroyd

Amen Dunes

The National 

Bit of variety here, Spotify comes up with the odd similar artists.

Help if I had camera right way!

14F48ACF-E616-41D1-A388-4E710473CF0C.thumb.jpeg.0be47c733ad2a5537ef9075ca8651072.jpeg

• Like 3

Hampshire & Foat - St. Lawrence. Sorta ambient jazz, great record, great recording. Picked up a vinyl, certainly worth a stream to see if you like it. Quality recording of the year for me

They say your surroundings often times influences your work flow and creative output and depending on the terrain, the end result could be as noisy as bulldozers crashing or as serene as a butterfly breezing over a lake in an undisturbed forest deep in the woods. In these crazy times, we need that escape so at the moment, we’ll take the peaceful surroundings of a forest which is exactly the at ease feeling we get with the upcoming album “Saint Lawrence” from the power duo of Hampshire & Foat.

Captured during two sunny afternoons in September 2017, The fourth LP by the much respected and collected duo, Hampshire and Foat, takes us to a new level of direct performance. Recorded live, with no overdubs, in two churches situated in Saint Lawrence on the south coast of the Isle of Wight, and mixed direct live onto a vintage stereo Nagra IV-S and AKG C24 Stereo microphone, every nuance of the performance is laid bare. Only the ambience of the room and the artists’ skill make the recording what it is.

For a brace of sun-soaked days, Warren and Greg were joined by their longtime musical partners, Phil Achille and Eric Young, and a cadre of local musicians and friends, creating an album that truly captures the magical ambience of the churches and surrounding landscape – even the birds in the Church steeple can be heard at times. Tracks are named after local landmarks, secret beaches, and rural paths that Warren and Greg hold dear. The duo wanted to make something special and collectable for this unique ambient jazz folk gem, so the cover has been produced in a beautiful late ’60s private press style and, limited to 500 copies on vinyl.

a2670463870_10.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Reliable performers? 

Pretty good with quality musicians. Ashkenazy etc. Twelve page booklet attached inside. I grabbed those 4 though I had about 20 or so to choose from. There was a dedicated rack with them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

White is the new black :)

seriously though, what difference does it make?

I think there's a long held belief that coloured vinyl is inferior to black. Shane and others with more XP of coloured vinyl may well have 'ear proof'. I have two coloured vinyl and can't really comment one way or tuther.

14 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Generally coloured vinyl can be noisier.  White in general can sound somewhat muted and lacking high frequency extension compared to black vinyl.

How does it sound?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, metal beat said:

Generally coloured vinyl can be noisier.  White in general can sound somewhat muted and lacking high frequency extension compared to black vinyl.

How does it sound?

that's my understanding

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 4:58 AM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Buying vinyl new and old is fraught with grief. You can save your self some and always always bet on black. Coloured vinyl is a gimmick for the "collectors" market and is generally not optimised for SQ. Generally  Some coloured vinyl does sound great, I even have a picture disc that sounds awesome, "Young Gods - Second Nature", but they are exceptions to the rule and show that the artist/label is putting extra effort into the process to ensure a good result. Another generality; independent labels produce better quality pressings more consistently than major labels, this has been my experience.

• Like 3

I've just tracked this 'Urban Monogamy' EP down on vinyl. A brilliant 3 track of dark German dance floor synth-pop from Berlin based northern Italian musician, Eva Geist. I'd not heard of her before I heard this played on 3RRR, my loss. It's a great EP with fabulous sound. Stream it if you can't find it on vinyl.

spacer.png

Lifeline Bookfest in Brisbane today. Got a few CDs of interest, and a few to plug some holes in the collection.

20190615_202333-01.jpeg.20e87d7edf8a957f8d9073cd8ce1336f.jpeg

Includes: Golden Earring, Bootsy Collins, Jeff Mills, Teenage Fanclub, King Tubby, Painters & Dockers, Elton John, ELP, David Bowie, Lou Reed, 10cc, Stranger Things, FSOL, Leonard Cohen, Gillian Welch, The Smiths, The Reels, Mingus, Screaming Tribesman, The Chills, The Stems, The Jezabels, Mark Lanegan, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Gilberto Gill, and some random ECM classical CD.

The Depeche Mode CD comes with a 5.1 mix on DVD ?

I also got a Genesis - Foxtrot LP for $5?

Not a bad day.

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 1

I have a sequencing/scheduling problem.

Navigated the politics of shifting to return to a turnable in the setup - and wanted to retire my NAD 5120 - so tried to persuasively make the case that new=good. Success but it didn't feel like a victory (more like acquiesence) .  

Anyway:

• Bought TT
  • Bought phono stage
  • Bought record Doctor
  • Secured new power 
  • Ordered new hi fi shelves (as this will all come together in the remodelled lounge room.
  • Lounge room changes not yet clearly scheduled (and now up to me to sell current stereo cabinet on gumtree or somesuch)
  • And now vinyl appears to be arriving like cars at the back of a traffic jam (this '78 Japanese King Records pressing of Blue Train, which I assume will soon be followed by a '67 US release of same, for comparison).  There presence makes me smile.  The pile doesn't.

So my "now purchasing" kinda looks like this...

image.thumb.png.6917cd54baa728168e39a4f94a2fe336.png

Edited by Dilettanteque
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...