Currently Purchasing

It's Womadelaide time again and time to pick up a few new albums. First up, Inspiration by Polish harpist Alina Bzhezhinska.

All About Jazz review

Inspiration is Bzhezhinska's debut album and it is a corker. She fronts the same band with which she performed at the Barbican—saxophonist Tony Kofi, drummer Joel Prime and double bassist Larry Bartley. All three musicians shine, but Bartley is Bzhezhinska's key foil. He came to attention in London in the late 1990s and early 2000s in bands led by saxophonists Denys Baptiste, Steve Williamson, Soweto Kinch and Ingrid Laubrock. Bartley can be light on his feet or viscerally intense and on Inspiration he deftly accompanies Bzhezhinska back and forth between both poles. 

Inspiration is both a tribute to Alice Coltrane and the calling card of an exciting new talent. Bzhezhinska gets deep inside Coltrane's music without ever losing her own identity. "Nothing [in Alice's music] is written down," she wrote in her Barbican programme note, "so it took quite a while to learn her melodies by ear and analyse what she was doing with them. So when we play 'Blue Nile,' for example, it starts with Alice's signature glissandi, but we then put our interpretation and influences into it. Trying to play it note for note is not what she would like us to do. It would go against her idea of free jazz." 

The tunes on Inspiration are a mixture of originals and familiar favourites from the Alice and John Coltrane songbooks, and it all hangs together beautifully. True solace for the soul. 

Postscript: Sanders and Bzhezhinska's sets at the Barbican sandwiched a blinder from Denys Baptiste (whose performance also benefited from Bartley's presence). Baptiste's The Late Trane (Edition) was itself a landmark event in 2017. The album focused on the often challenging work John Coltrane recorded during the final years of his life, with Baptiste successfully searching out and developing the melodicism within it. All that is now needed for nirvana is a new Coltrane-themed album from Pharoah Sanders. Meanwhile, his Crescent With Love (Evidence, 1994) still hits the spot.
Track Listing: Wisdom Eye; Blue Nile; Los Caballos; Spero; Annoying Semitones; Winter Moods; Following A Lovely Sky Boat; Lemky; After The Rain; Journey In Satchidananda.

Personnel: Alina Bzhezhinska: harp; Tony Kofi: soprano saxophone (tracks 2, 4, 7, 10), tenor saxophone (tracks 3, 8, 9); Larry Bartley: double bass (tracks 2-10); Joel Prime: drums and percussion (tracks 1-3, 5-10).

Title: Inspiration | Year Released: 2018 | Record Label: Ubuntu Music

TAGS
 ALINA BZHEZHINSKA  CD/LP/TRACK REVIEW  CHRIS MAY  INSPIRATION.

My second purchase is Banzeiro by 80 y.o singer Dona Onete. 

A review from Pop Matters.

https://www.popmatters.com/dona-onete-banzeiro-2495391380.html

images (39).jpeg

images (37).jpeg

• Like 1

Taiwu Children's Ancient Ballads Troupe & Daniel Ho - To And From The Heart (Taiwan). 2×CD's.

"...

This beautifully presented double CD set – in Asia they really know how to keep selling you CDs by packing them as booklets with information, translations, photos and more for a standalone place on a bookcase – collects traditional songs by this Paiwanese children's choir on an a cappella disc full of longing, loneliness and reflection in songs with titles such as Love Sickness, Bitter Life and Fate of a Poor Boy.

They are quite exceptional, as in this example." -elsewhere.co.nz.

Screen_Shot_2019-02-11_at_1.56.55_PM.png

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 2

Maarja Nuut & Ruum - Muunduja

Reviews - The Quietus
Maarja Nuut & Ruum 
MUUNDUJA
Richard Foster , October 10th,2018 

Marja Nuut and Hendrik Kaljujärv, aka Ruum, combine for one of the year's most beautiful journeys through inner and outer space

The urge to describe music in great detail may be overwhelming, but ultimately everything is overtaken by the need to get to the point. Where every impulse to elaborate why is deflected by one basic command; namely, “listen to this!” To clumsily quote Joan Didion writing about her sense of awe of being shown round the control room at the Hoover Dam, the experience of listening to Muunduja by Maarja Nuut and Ruum is so explicit as to suggest nothing beyond itself. And by God, it’s entrancing; you need to hear it.

Muunduja is Maarja Nuut’s third record, her first with new collaborator Ruum, and a distinct contrast to her previous album Une Meeles. Many of the same ingredients are still present, Nuut’s brilliance as a fiddler, her beautiful vocals, her folkloric subject matter and - most notably - her intense, almost animistic relationship with the physical and spiritual landscape of her country Estonia. Where the two records differ is the plotting of the route. Where Une Meeles was a mysterious but predominantly personal inner journey through an part-imaginary landscape, this is a bravura exercise in creating a sound that advances on all fronts, the creation of a public worldview that envelops and almost saturates the listener. Muunduja means ‘shifter’ in Estonian, and it’s appropriate that the music drags you into liminal states, dives deep into the imagination’s netherworld, or creates gloriously transcendent sonic interfaces that could, still, dissolve in the blink of an eye.

This is partly down to her co-pilot in all this inner-outer space travel. Ruum, aka Hendrik Kaljujärv is a synth head and self-taught sound engineer and composer of some brilliance. The partnership is one that has built up over the course of two years, almost immediately after the release of Une Meeles in fact, when Nuut wanted to bring a live show that would be more than just a “girl with a fiddle”. This approach has paid off in spades. Further, it may just be that Kaljujärv’s considerable experience of staging sonic theatrics has filtered through Nuut’s consciousness in ways she hadn’t expected. For one this release is spiced with a slightly brazen, cavalier spirit hitherto unheard in her work. Muunduja is also widescreen in nature, it is stuffed full of cinematic music.

Although it does feel somewhat clumsy to employ a reference to “Baltic” films such as Sauna or Stalker in a review of an Estonian record, the music does suggest we are entering Tarkovsky’s magical and dangerous zone, or the mythical Karelia of Sauna. Tracks sound like spells. ‘Takisan’ is a brilliant kosmische electro pattern that also sounds like a long lost Moebius and Plank track from Material. ‘Kuud Kuulama’ and ‘Une Meeles’ are similar in spirit, acting like the last will and testament of half-seen animistic forms - Banniks whispering gobbets of unintelligible weirdness in our ear as we navigate the music.

Kaljujärv’s influence is best heard on ‘Miniature C’’s extraordinary slab of electric noise. This sounds for all the world like some gristly lump of satellite that floated out of Martin Hannett’s studio window, careening off orbit and landing outside the Telliskivi district before he could reel it back in. The track drags itself along some iron factory floor, almost painfully, and is a total contrast to, for example, the quicksilver, shamanic opener ‘Haned Kadunud’.

Maarja Nuut is driven, hiding in plain sight, and sometimes too open or overly painstaking in picking out her creative path. Yet she is determined to make her mark, to show that the world in her head is actually all around us if we just take a moment to feel its presence. In doing so she and Hendrik Kaljujärv have made what must be one of the records of the year.

images (45).jpeg

• Like 2

I picked this up at the music store at Womadelaide. 3 discs for $15.

The Kings of the Delta Blues.

Tracklisting

1-01    –Robert Johnson    Cross Road Blues    
1-02    –Skip James    I'm So Glad    
1-03    –Robert Wilkins    That's No Way To Get Along    
1-04    –Big Joe Williams    Crawlin' King Snake    
1-05    –Muddy Waters    Country Blues    
1-06    –Bukka White    Fixin' To Die Blues    
1-07    –Tommy Johnson    Canned Heat Blues    
1-08    –Mississippi John Hurt    Stack O'Lee Blues    
1-09    –Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup    Death Valley Blues    
1-10    –Son House    My Black Mama (Part 1)    
1-11    –Charley Patton    Mississippi Bo Weevil Blues    
1-12    –Sam Collins    The Yellow Dog Blues    
1-13    –Robert Lockwood Jr.    Little Boy Blue    
1-14    –Bo Carter    My Pencil Won't Write No More    
1-15    –William Harris (2)    Bullfrog Blues    
1-16    –Tommy McClennan    Highway No. 51    
1-17    –Big Bill Broonzy    Mississippi River Blues    
1-18    –Blind Willie McTell    Stomp Down Rider    
1-19    –Sleepy John Estes    Hobo Jungle Blues    
1-20    –Robert Petway    Bertha Lee Blues    
2-01    –Big Joe Williams    Baby Please Don't Go    
2-02    –Robert Johnson    Love In Vain    
2-03    –Hambone Willie Newbern    Roll And Tumble Blues    
2-04    –Tommy Johnson    Big Road Blues    
2-05    –Skip James    Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues    
2-06    –Robert Petway    Catfish Blues    
2-07    –Muddy Waters    I Be's Troubled    
2-08    –Mississippi John Hurt    Frankie    
2-09    –Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup    Black Pony Blues    
2-10    –Son House    Low Down Dirty Dog Blues    
2-11    –Ishman Bracey    Trouble Hearted Blues    
2-12    –Garfield Akers    Cottonfield Blues (Part 1)    
2-13    –Willie 'Poor Boy' Lofton*    Dirty Mistreater    
2-14    –Kansas Joe Mccoy*    When The Levee Breaks    
2-15    –Bukka White    Bukka's Jitterbug Swing    
2-16    –Kid Bailey    Rowdy Blues    
2-17    –Geeshie Wiley    Last Kind Words    
2-18    –Papa Charlie McCoy*    Motherless And Fatherless Blues    
2-19    –Arthur Petties*    Two Time Blues    
2-20    –Freddie Spruell    Mr. Freddie's Kokomo Blues    
3-01    –Charley Patton    Spoonful Blues    
3-02    –The Mississippi Sheiks*    Sitting On Top Of The World    
3-03    –Bukka White    Parchman Farm Blues    
3-04    –Robert Lockwood Jr.    Take A Little Walk With Me    
3-05    –Robert Johnson    Hellhound On My Tail    
3-06    –Skip James    Devil Got My Woman    
3-07    –Muddy Waters    You're Gonna Miss Me (When I'm Dead And Gone)    
3-08    –Mississippi John Hurt    Nobody's Dirty Business    
3-09    –Son House    Special Rider Blues    
3-10    –Tommy Johnson    Cool Drink Of Water Blues    
3-11    –Charley Patton    Down The Dirt Road Blues    
3-12    –Joe Callicott    Fare Thee Well Blues    
3-13    –Tommy McClennan    I'm A Guitar King    
3-14    –Papa Charlie McCoy*    Last Time Blues    
3-15    –Willie Brown (2)    Ragged And Dirty    
3-16    –Rube Lacy    Mississippi Jailhouse Groan    
3-17    –Big Joe Williams    Rootin' Ground Hog    
3-18    –Ishman Bracey    Leavin' Town Blues    
3-19    –Frank Stokes    Nehi Mamma Blues    
3-20    –King Solomon Hill    Whoopee Blues    

images (46).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

Nwe UNKLE album, The Road Part II. This is a rather formidable $70 on vinyl, so this time I've bought the little silver disc. Good, but not as consistent or as coherent as Part 1

135118-the-road-part-ii-lost-highway.jpg

Just ordered also, CD 3 pack. Have listened a bit through Spotify and You Tube.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some CDs wot I got today from the "2 for $1" bin:

20190417_201020-02.jpeg.067fb3f21fb3717eca26a2d6f309aba5.jpeg

Featuring: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 2xCD, Booker T & The MGs, Rythym And Soul compilation 2xCD, Squeeze, Wings Over America 2xCD, Summer  '87 compilation (gotta have me some Dangerzone), Seals & Crofts, Blossom Dearie, Leonard Cohen cover versions, 2 x Catfish (that's Don Walker from Cold Chisel for you philistines), 2 x Gossling (dunno much about her ... Aussie warbler I think), The Dingoes, The Revelators.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Elza Soares - Deus e Mulher.

Guinga - Porto da Madama.

Personnel:Maria Joao: voice (1, 5, 8 & 11); Esperanza Spalding: voice (2 & 12); Maria Pia de Vito: voice (3, 6 & 9); Monica Salmaso: voice (4, 7, 10 & 13); Guinga: arrangements and violao.

Luiz Gonzaga- Sao Joao Na Roca.

R-11118027-1510172065-4256.jpeg.jpg

R-12029154-1530851544-3255.jpeg.jpg

R-7743614-1469141465-5318.jpeg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deanB

Haven't bought any music for months maybe, but the drought has been broken-

Fink- Perfect Darkness

George Benson- All Blues

George Benson- 3 Essential Albums

Ministry- Undercover

Marianne Faithfull- Kissin' Time

Courtney Barnett- The Double EP: A Sea Of Split Peas

Schnell Fenster- The Sound Of Trees

Julian Cope- Skellington 3

Earthless- From The West

And to add to the fun, I have a new (to me) Elson Silva KT88 power amp on it's way from the 'Gong, tracking says here by Friday.

On 24/04/2019 at 6:25 PM, KRSDarwin said:

Visiting Canberra and found a great record shop in town, Landspeed Records.  Now looking forward to going home to play them!

06EF9C88-A7AB-4C9E-8ADB-C748BE6CD10D.jpeg

that's been my local since they opened about twenty years ago. byron and blake, and everyone there are great.

@deanB how's julian?

Edited by wim
  • Like 1

Guest deanB
16 minutes ago, wim said:

that's been my local since they opened about twenty years ago. byron and blake, and everyone there are great.

@deanB how's julian?

Julian is still in transit but he'll definitely be making an appearance in Currently Spinning soon. 

I've got twenty or so of his albums, all interesting and quite a few are brilliant. 

I've been getting right into George Benson recently, The Other Side Of Abbey Road hooked me big time. Always makes the stereo sound pretty extra special too.

On 14/05/2019 at 11:18 AM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I've just spent the princely sum of $7 at the local Salvos and got these.

That was great purchasing, especially the Putumayo, Oscar Peterson and Arvo Part. 

• Like 2