Currently Purchasing

Was this on Fret Net (3PBS 106.7) patjoy? I often hear new guitarists on Steve Passiouris' program; I'm most displeased that last night was the final program.

It was the show before that - "******* Brew" from 8 to 10pm. I hope you mean that was the last Fret Net show for the year and not forever! You would always discover some new guitarist on the Fret Net show.

It was the show before that - "******* Brew" from 8 to 10pm. I hope you mean that was the last Fret Net show for the year and not forever! You would always discover some new guitarist on the Fret Net show.

Unfortunately Steve was saying that the powers that be have decided that they no longer need a dedicated guitar show and so it was his last program. It upsets my Tuesday night no end, ******* Brew and Fret Net are both favourites of mine.

I've sent the stupid motherf***ers a protest email though I suspect the only effect will be to make me feel better.

In the car tonight heard a great electric guitar instrumental song called Mr Musique by a Craig Erikson - off a compilation tribute cd to Shawn Lane. Not familiar with either artist. Besides the technique the guitar playing was straight from the soul. Have to chase this one down this week.

I just had a look at Craig Erickson's website. Mr Musique is from Shawn Lane Remembered Vol 1 http://www.craig-erickson.com/shawnlane.html

I can't say I've ever heard of him before but any guitarist that has a Gary Moore tribute album is worth me taking a punt on.

G'day,

I want to get the David Gilmour - "Live In Gdansk" set, but I dunno which one yet. The 2CD/1DVD edition is my current choice, unless someone can convince me that the 2CD/2DVD edition is worth the extra $10.

The extra DVD has a DTS mix of "On An Island" and some additional live footage, but I don't have a multi-channel setup so the DTS mix is pointless.

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day,

I want to get the David Gilmour - "Live In Gdansk" set, but I dunno which one yet. The 2CD/1DVD edition is my current choice, unless someone can convince me that the 2CD/2DVD edition is worth the extra $10.

The extra DVD has a DTS mix of "On An Island" and some additional live footage, but I don't have a multi-channel setup so the DTS mix is pointless.

--Geoff

I have the 2CD/2DVD set (but I also have multi-channel). The jam sessions on the 2nd DVD are quite worthwhile. I haven't played the CDs yet.

It might be worth shopping around for the best price. The shop I bought mine from only stocked the 4 disc version, but their price was less than what other shops were charging for the 3 disc version.

• Like 1

G'day,

--Geoff

I wont try and convince you either way Geoff, but personally I find it hard to buy the lesser version knowing that there is another one out there with more stuff :) I

bought the 4 disc, then found out later there is a 5 disc! :)

Cheers,

Jake

I wont try and convince you either way Geoff, but personally I find it hard to buy the lesser version knowing that there is another one out there with more stuff :) I

Cheers,

Jake

Me too!!!!!!

• Like 1

G'day,

I saw the 5 disc set, but at $50 more than the 4 disc set I could not see any value in it.

--Geoff

Yes, apparently the 5 disc version contains an extra CD and a nice booklet, I believe. Certainly not worth an extra $50.

• Like 1

G'day,

Tonight's hit to the credit card:

51UWXXVewDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

David Gilmour - "Live In Gdansk" - 2CD/1DVD - There was a 2CD/2DVD version but I couldn't get excited enough about it to fork out the extra $10.

41f3-RlUfeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dream Theater - "Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory" -- overblown progressive rock concept album.

5178EX4GA5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bjork - "Vespertine" -- second hand. My favourite Bjork CD, quite lovely with its music boxes and eskimo choirs.

41qsregwJIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tatiana Nikolayeva - "Bach: Goldberg Variations" -- another Goldberg. The local CD emporium had classical at 50% off and I was hoping for Nikolayeva's "Art of Fugue" or Shostakovich "Preludes & Fugues", but this will have to do for now.

41LH30xSyEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mitsuko Uchida - "Plays Schubert" -- an 8 CD collection of Schubert piano works. Includes a good selction of the sonatas, impromptus, and German dances.

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day,

HG, what do you think of Shostakovich's "Preludes and Fugues"? I don't have a recording, and I want to learn more about it. Just so happens that this evening I was doing some research on it when I saw your post :)

I used to have this on CD on the Melodiya label but I seem to have lost it (a costly error as it sells for over US$50). There's also a version on the Hyperion label but I haven't heard it.

Shostakovich's 48 is obviously a homage to Bach's 48, but with a more modernist Russian than baroque German flavour. My recollection is a bit hazy now but I do recall enjoying this set.

--Geoff

• Like 1

All purchases have arrived,

there all in good nick, I'm happy:)

I wont try and convince you either way Geoff, but personally I find it hard to buy the lesser version knowing that there is another one out there with more stuff :D I

Cheers,

Jake

Yes I agree with you Jake, if you pay to much for something you soon forget about it if you like it. There's an unusual version of the "Turning away" on disc 5 where David makes a mistake and has a chuckel during the song, great raw stuff.

Jake did you get the sealed envelope with the photos, a postcard, a replica laminate and ticket, a backstage pass and a guitar pick/plectrum with your 4 disc set?

Cheers:)

snow

Jake did you get the sealed envelope with the photos, a postcard, a replica laminate and ticket, a backstage pass and a guitar pick/plectrum with your 4 disc set?

Cheers:)

snow

Now you're just teasing me! I didnt get any of that. I'll send an email to DG and ask if he can bring some next time he's over this way :)

Just realised you might be talking about the vinyl version? I only have the CD/DVD version.

Cheers,

Jake

Yesterday's the day I go to the market, and drop into Licorice Pie Records on the way home.

Now, what did I get?

Shostakovich's 8th Symphony, Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

More real folk blues: Muddy Waters

The Smiths Meat is Murder

A 2LP compilation of Little Richard, from Germany of all places. Hope the quality is ok.

DS

• Like 1

Yesterday's the day I go to the market, and drop into Licorice Pie Records on the way home.

Now, what did I get?

A 2LP compilation of Little Richard, from Germany of all places. Hope the quality is ok.

DS

Hi

Hopefully they're re- pressings of the original Specialty sides - there's some real crap re-recordings about.

Cheers

Mick

This week " A momentry lapse of reson", take two.

Now you're just teasing me! I didnt get any of that. I'll send an email to DG and ask if he can bring some next time he's over this way :)

Just realised you might be talking about the vinyl version? I only have the CD/DVD version.

Cheers,

Jake

Sorry Jake,

I wasn't trying to tease; I was expecting you to answer yes. I now figure that it only came in the 5 disc set. I suppose I could have asked "did you get the sealed envelope".

To be honest I haven't open mine yet, I asked what was in it on the David Gilmour Blog.

The five disc set is cheap compared to the LP set, which I DON'T have yet. I do have it on order but I have no guarantee of getting it, JB are trying to get it out of Holland.

I don't know why David Gilmour didn't come to our Island, maybe because the radio station down here don't play his stuff. If he tours again OS without coming down here maybe we should get a SNA group to go over there, where ever there may be.

Cheers:o

snow

Edited by snowdownunder
Take one has gone

This week " A momentry lapse of reson", take two.

I've got a free one for anybody who wants to pay for the postage, but be warned, it needs a good clean.

Hi Snow,

l would be keen on this, l assume its an LP?

Thanks Mondie

• Like 1

G'day,

I don't know why David Gilmour didn't come to our Island, maybe because the radio station down here don't play his stuff.

David Gilmour was gunna tour Oz last year (or was it earlier this year? I can't remember) but Roger Waters was touring at the same time and the promoters didn't think our wee market could handle two faux Pink Floyd tours at the same time.

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day,

Today's pickings:

41HZ5GQZAZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Andras Schiff - "Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I" - going cheep at the local emporium. No "Book II", unfortunately. Will have to get that another time.

419DTCNN8BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Andras Schiff - "Bach: 6 Partitas" - dunno about this one; there was an Angela Hewitt version also available but this was much cheaper. Might have to reconsider that ...

31PD5FNNJQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Craig Armstrong - "Piano Works" - various pieces from Armstrong's soundtracks and work for Massive Attack, performed solo piano style.

rogerlovesbetty.jpg

Roger Loves Betty - "Let Love Begin" - happy songs of love and joy, from Jodi Philis (formerly of The Clouds) and her hubbie Tim Oxley. Lots of Clouds-like harmonies, odd chord changes, etc. Veers alarmingly close to kiddie music at the end.

--Geoff

• Like 1