Currently Purchasing

Snow,

Regarding Live In Gdansk...

How come the 5 disc costs $100? I bought the 4 disc and it was only $38 or so from JB....

Cheers,

Jake

Good Question Jake,

Well to start with I could have got it for $15 less at JB, but then I did get it cheaper than a mate in Sydney - he payed $120Aus but bought it in the US, he likes it delivered to his door.

There's a sealed envelope which I haven't opened yet.

There's also a poster and a booklet which I'm now going to need to read.

The 5th disc will be rare, this is a CD.

I had an open wallet for this one, this was the last concert featuring the late Richard Wright.

Cheers

snow:)

PS Great Links Jake you're got my heart pumping faster

Edited by snowdownunder
Thanks Jake

G'day emesbee,

Yeh I'm a very big fan of PF. I've just dug out some of there LP's and I fairly sure

"The piper at the gates of dawn" 1967 is the first LP, no David on this one it was in the Sid Barret days.

"A saucerful of secets" 1968 was the second and this was the first with David.

Next was "Ummagumma" 1969, these first 3 LP are very different from the latter stuff.

"Relics" was recorded the same year as "meddle" 1971 not sure if it was before or after though.

I'm not a Waters fan, although he wrote alot of they earler stuff. The best thing he did apart from writing was leave the band so that we got 2 LP's with David at the helm and the late Richard Wright was asked to come back to the band after being sacked by Waters.

Guy Pratt is a great Bass player and did you know he married Richard Wright Daughter.

My thoughts only, I don't expect everybody to agree.

I also got my five disc "live in Gdansk" last week cost me $100, JB hi-fi rang me today and said that they had a spare one for $85, it always the way.

JB have the LP pack on order for me.

Cheers

snow

Actually, I just realised that Relics was the first Pink Floyd album I bought, followed by Meddle, then Atom Heart Mother, followed over time by most of the others. I kind of lost interest in them a bit after Wish You Were Here though. (I'm not a great fan of Animals or The Wall.)

Relics was a compilation of early material, mostly from singles and their first three albums. The vinyl copy I bought was the one with the original cover, ie: the four eyed ceramic face with the tongue sticking out (great cover!).

Also, they brought out a soundtrack album for the film More in 1968, presumably after Saucerful Of Secrets but before Ummagumma. (A couple of tracks from More are on Relics.)

I bought the 4 disc version of Live in Gdansk from a small CD shop here in Adelaide for $30. I don't understand why the 5 disc version is so much more expensive though. (Sounds like a ripoff to me.)

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Snow, Arnold Layne and See Emily Play are PF's first two singles. In the 1960s it was common to release singles separately and they did not appear on albums. These singles were released before Piper. On the US pressing of Piper See Emily Play is on the album, at the expense of another song. The song titles and band members you quote are the songwriting credits. Now, I used to be very much into Pink Floyd about 25 years ago so my memory of this is not perfect but I think Corporal Clegg, Jugband Blues and Remember A Day had Syd, the rest had Dave. However, I have heard a version of Set the Controls with Syd playing guitar but there is very little lead in that song in any case, this song was performed with Syd in the band but not recorded AFAIK. I almost suspect the version on the album has no lead guitar. From my long knowledge there was never a recording of the 5 man PF.

The song list on Relics (with lead guitarist and source of track) is:

1: Arnold Layne (Syd, early single)

2: Interstellar Overdrive (Syd off Piper)

3: See Emily Play (Syd, early single)

4: Remember A Day (Syd off Saucer)

5: Paintbox (Syd, B side of single Apples and Oranges)

6: Julia Dream (Syd, B side of single It Would be so Nice)

7: Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Dave, is this the version on Ummagumma or another version, can't remember)

8: Cirrus Minor (Dave, off More)

9: The Nile Song (Dave, off More)

10: Biding My Time (Dave, previously unreleased)

11: Bike (Syd, off Piper)

It is listed, correctly, as a compilation on the Wikipedia discography of Pink Floyd.

If you are really interested in early PF then PM me and I can send you a bootleg of early stuff which is very good. It even features a recording of the 5 man Pink Floyd, just that the fifth man is Bob Klose not David Gilmour!

A Nice Pair was just a re-release of Piper and Saucer as a double album. Look at the front cover and if there is a picture of a dentist with a name something like Reginald Fang you have a valuable rarity - dentists couldn't advertise back then and that was a first pressing which was pulled because the pic was deemed an advertisment, later versions had a different pic in that spot.

Geez the things I can remember!

Now let's get back to everyone's recent purchases, including Pink Floyd of course :D

DS

• Like 1

A Nice Pair was just a re-release of Piper and Saucer as a double album. Look at the front cover and if there is a picture of a dentist with a name something like Reginald Fang you have a valuable rarity - dentists couldn't advertise back then and that was a first pressing which was pulled because the pic was deemed an advertisment, later versions had a different pic in that spot.

Geez the things I can remember!

Now let's get back to everyone's recent purchases, including Pink Floyd of course :D

DS

Call me a trivia buff but I just love small details like this, thanks David! Unfortunately though (and I just rushed off to check) but my original vinyl has no dentist (doesn't mean its toothless though :D).

Currently purchasing? Nothing at the moment, but may be placing my first order with Quality Records this week.

Cheers,

Jake

• Like 1

dont know if this is a good place to ask this but i was wondering if there is any service/club that sends you a collection of cds every month or something?

my mum was telling me how she used to be part of a club that sent her new releases every now and then to build up her collection. she got things like best of The Cars and Tea for Tillerman.

just want to know if companies still do that. Im not so interested in getting new music but more like a 'Must Have' music collection, of oldies

looking to purchase Nina Simone - Anthology (its gotta have Sinner man on it)

dont know if this is a good place to ask this but i was wondering if there is any service/club that sends you a collection of cds every month or something?

my mum was telling me how she used to be part of a club that sent her new releases every now and then to build up her collection. she got things like best of The Cars and Tea for Tillerman.

just want to know if companies still do that. Im not so interested in getting new music but more like a 'Must Have' music collection, of oldies

looking to purchase Nina Simone - Anthology (its gotta have Sinner man on it)

I used to be a member of the same club I suspect R&R. It was called the Australian Record Club and it was sold long ago to Record Clubs of Australia.

They are at 3 Talavera Rd Nth Ryde, phone 02 9856 2299. I don't know if they still do the monthly newsletter and send out, but you can always give them a call to find out.

This week

David Gimour, self titled. I'm yet to hear this.

Pink Floyd, Relics. I've already got this, but this one is a UK pressing with yet another cover.

Bay jobs, won't get them untill next week.

Last weeks LP's arived OK, Atom Heart Mother & About face were great but the Momentry Lapse of Reason LP was a bin job due to it being a very poorly looked after LP, I'm looking for another.

As Meatloaf once sung "Two out of three ain't bad"

snow

bought today at dixons [melbourne second hand institution]

currently drying in dish rack

cleo laine a beautiful thing far from her best but mint as in seems never 3 have been played $2

erroll garner up in erolls room $2

the silencers painted moon ?? no nothing about them but when records r this cheap$! i have a rule that 1 album must b new to me

last week my new to me was a double album of robert goulet my love gorgive me at 50 c for both vinyls

u win some u lose some!

david

• Like 1

Just ordered from The Record King.

Fleetwood Mac - Starsound Collection Halfspeed Mastered

Santana - Marathon

Dire Straits - Making Movies

Cale, J.J. - Naturally

Cale, J. J. - Troubadour

Cale, J.J. - Okie

Gilmour, David - About Face

Dylan, Bob - Slow Train Coming

Janos Starker-cello; Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Walter Susskind. Kodaly: Sonata for Solo Cello op 8; Dohnanyi: Konzerstucke, op 12.

Flash And The Pan - Early Morning Wake Up Call

Flash And The Pan - Flash And The Pan

Flash and the Pan - Nights in France

All second hand vinyl, presumably in excellent condition, filling a few gaps and replacing lost albums.

Cheers,

Jake

• Like 1

Just ordered from The Record King.

Fleetwood Mac - Starsound Collection Halfspeed Mastered

Santana - Marathon

Dire Straits - Making Movies

Cale, J.J. - Naturally

Cale, J. J. - Troubadour

Cale, J.J. - Okie

Gilmour, David - About Face

Dylan, Bob - Slow Train Coming

Janos Starker-cello; Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Walter Susskind. Kodaly: Sonata for Solo Cello op 8; Dohnanyi: Konzerstucke, op 12.

Flash And The Pan - Early Morning Wake Up Call

Flash And The Pan - Flash And The Pan

Flash and the Pan - Nights in France

All second hand vinyl, presumably in excellent condition, filling a few gaps and replacing lost albums.

Cheers,

Jake

Great choices there Jake. And you can't get enough of JJ Cale, I have the majority of his output on record , and although I can't recall the label that they were released on, they sound excellent.

And whats this Fleetwood Mac LP ?

• Like 1

Great choices there Jake. And you can't get enough of JJ Cale, I have the majority of his output on record , and although I can't recall the label that they were released on, they sound excellent.

And whats this Fleetwood Mac LP ?

Err...not sure :P but it sounds good :confused:

Oh, here it is

http://www.yee.ch/F/FL/Fleetwood_Mac/Starsound/starsound.html

Looks like an audiophile best of FM.

Cheers,

Jake

• Like 1

I bought that CD a few months ago. I've only played it once so far. Love that cover!

I was browsing in Big Star recently and came across a copy, which is presumably the one you bought. (I didn't buy it because I already had a copy.)

Have you seen him playing live? I've seen him a couple of times at Womadelaide, and also at last year's guitar festival. A very entertaining performer.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

After a few weeks of not buying music, we decided yesterday to treat ourselves a bit. So we set sail and discovered...

612JPRMDMTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

61VdR57LrhL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bit headbangy:p

M2%253FOpenElement

Bit progressive rocky:rolleyes:

51wK4xDhWML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Bit Groovy:D

All small discs.

• Like 1

In the car tonight heard a great electric guitar instrumental song called Mr Musique by a Craig Erikson - off a compilation tribute cd to Shawn Lane. Not familiar with either artist. Besides the technique the guitar playing was straight from the soul. Have to chase this one down this week.

In the car tonight heard a great electric guitar instrumental song called Mr Musique by a Craig Erikson - off a compilation tribute cd to Shawn Lane. Not familiar with either artist. Besides the technique the guitar playing was straight from the soul. Have to chase this one down this week.

That reminds me of the first time I ever heard SRV, I was driving along listening to FM104 in my Cortina (yeah, its a while back :P) and I was stunned. Who was this legend? A week later I was at his concert in Festival Hall in Brissy. Awesome.

Was this on Fret Net (3PBS 106.7) patjoy? I often hear new guitarists on Steve Passiouris' program; I'm most displeased that last night was the final program.