Currently Purchasing

Hi

It has been pointed out that most of my contributions to the Currently Spinning thread seem to be what I have bought lately rather than what I have listened to. On The Vinyl Engine they have a thread called "Did you buy any records today?". This might exclude the digiphiles amongst us so I though why not start a similar thread here with a title fitting with this site. So, here is it - Currently Purchasing.

So, I'll start off with my purchases from yesterday.

From Licorice Pie:

Sonny Boy Williamson: One Way Out. Getting into the blues of late so I thought I'd Pick up some Sonny Boy.

Project Stereo Test Record - will be setting up the new TT shortly so I thought another test record wouldn't do any harm.

From Warren's Record Paradise - Warren is not looking well which is a pity.

Mike Oldfield: Five Miles Out

Organ Recital: Simon Jansen on the organ at St Martin's Church, Bolsward Holland. Tracks include: Bach's Toccata and Fugue, Bach choral preludes, Rheinberger, Bossi and Karl-Elert. Mainly bought for Toccata and Fugue although I have played that track and would like a version with a bit more attack. That said, organs hold their notes so I suppose this is a balance. Anyone have a good suggestion for a version of Toccata and Fugue?

DS

• Like 1

Hi

It has been pointed out that most of my contributions to the Currently Spinning thread seem to be what I have bought lately rather than what I have listened to.

Well thats just a bit cheeky isnt it? :)

:D

Actually, this is a great idea for a thread David, and I reckon you will have a loooot of posts here. :D

Is it open to componentry as well?

Cheers,

Jake

I'm trying to purchase

David Gilmour "Live in Gdansk"

I think that I've got a copy of the 5 disc set thanks to the phone and a credit card, although I don't have it just yet.

I'm also trying to purchase the 4 LP set of the same name, this is proving a little harder to get.

I've also just purchased Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", on vinyl. I've had the CD for 20 years now, but vinyl is what I love

snow

I'm trying to purchase

David Gilmour "Live in Gdansk"

I think that I've got a copy of the 5 disc set thanks to the phone and a credit card, although I don't have it just yet.

I'm also trying to purchase the 4 LP set of the same name, this is proving a little harder to get.

I've also just purchased Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", on vinyl. I've had the CD for 20 years now, but vinyl is what I love

snow

Gday Snow, the whole Gilmour/Gdansk thing gets a little confusing. I just spent 20 mins the other day going through the different options at JB and ended up with their most expensive offering, the 4 disc set which has 2 CDs and 2 DVDs.

I have also had emails from Elusive Disc (I think) promoting the 5 LP set (vinyl only - no video).

So if you have ordered anything it sounds like it must be the 5 LPs. JB also offered a 2 disc and a 3 disc set which all looked identical apart from the fine print.

Cheers,

Jake

That goodness it's back.

Pink Floyd "The Wall" I've already got this on CD & vinyl, but my LP is just about worn out.

Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother" I've never heard this one.

David Gilmour "About Face" I've never heard this one either.

I've got my "Live in Gdansk" 5 disc pack, I love it, still hunting for the LP pack.

snow

• Like 1

Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother" I've never heard this one.

Me neither and l consider myself a big fan. Be interested to hear your opinion of it Snow when you have had time to give it a couple of spins

Cheers,

mondie

Me neither and l consider myself a big fan. Be interested to hear your opinion of it Snow when you have had time to give it a couple of spins

Cheers,

mondie

No worries mondie,

It's an eBay job. I'll let you know when I get it and have given it a couple of spins

Since Richard past away I've been playing and buying alot of Floyd & David Gilmour. I can nearly watch "wearing the inside out" from "Remeber that night" disc 2 without getting a tear in my eye. I had this problem before he passed away, his passing was a shock to me.

cheers

snow

Since the site's been down I've been shopping:

200px-AnimalsTwainShallMeet.jpg

The Animals: The Twain Shall Meet

Johnny_Winter_-_Second_Winter.jpg

Is it a single album, is it a double album? It's in between: Johnny Winter: Second Winter

200px-NBC-TV_Special.jpg

The LP of Elvis's comeback special, original pressing in mono. Must spin the DVD one day.

sfba7202usa.gif

Single of Day after Day by Badfinger. Nice track.

The next day I went to Quality Records who were (are??) having a classical sale: 50% off second hand vinyl and 30% of second hand plastic.

I got:

Fernando Germani plays Bach at the Royal Festival Hall - bit of organ music including Toccata and Fugue.

Shostakovich Concerto No1 for Piano and trumpet along with Concerto No2 for Piano and orchestra. Both performed by Moscow Radio Large Symphony Orchestra and Dimitri himself playing the piano on the Concerto No2.

Brahms Piano Quintet played by Sviatoslav Richter and the Borodin Quartet.

All cheap so why not.

DS

• Like 1

I got the 5 LP set as well as the 5 Disc version(3 cd's and 2 dvd's).

I got the 4 disc version (2 CDs / 2 DVDs). I didn't know there was a 5 disc version. Prices seem to vary wildly from store to store though. I paid $30 for mine from a small local CD shop here in Adelaide, but I've seen prices as high as $48. There is also a weblink on one of the DVDs, if you pop it into your computer. It looks like they are adding downloadable mp3 files of live recordings each month. There were two tracks available when I last looked.

(I'm talking about David Gilmour, Live In Gdansk, of course.)

• Like 1

Cheers,

mondie

Atom Heart Mother was the second Pink Floyd album I bought, back in the 70s (the first was Meddle, just after it was released, which dates me!). Its quite a bit different from a lot of other Floyd albums, a bit more adventurous perhaps. Might take a few listens to get used to. For some reason, though, I really like the last track, 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'. I think the David Gilmour influence was really starting to show on this album.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

Atom Heart Mother was the second Pink Floyd album I bought, back in the 70s (the first was Meddle, just after it was released, which dates me!). Its quite a bit different from a lot of other Floyd albums, a bit more adventurous perhaps. Might take a few listens to get used to. For some reason, though, I really like the last track, 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'. I think the David Gilmour influence was really starting to show on this album.

G'day emesbee,

Yeh I'm a very big fan of PF. I've just dug out some of there LP's and I fairly sure

"The piper at the gates of dawn" 1967 is the first LP, no David on this one it was in the Sid Barret days.

"A saucerful of secets" 1968 was the second and this was the first with David.

Next was "Ummagumma" 1969, these first 3 LP are very different from the latter stuff.

"Relics" was recorded the same year as "meddle" 1971 not sure if it was before or after though.

I'm not a Waters fan, although he wrote alot of they earler stuff. The best thing he did apart from writing was leave the band so that we got 2 LP's with David at the helm and the late Richard Wright was asked to come back to the band after being sacked by Waters.

Guy Pratt is a great Bass player and did you know he married Richard Wright Daughter.

My thoughts only, I don't expect everybody to agree.

I also got my five disc "live in Gdansk" last week cost me $100, JB hi-fi rang me today and said that they had a spare one for $85, it always the way.

JB have the LP pack on order for me.

Cheers

snow

G'day,

Today I bought:

51SWXKNZJXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Vladimir Ashkenazy -- "Bach: Well Tempered Clavier" -- never a fan of Ashkenazy and I wasn't that impressed by his WTC on first listen. But this 3CD set was very cheep in the second-hand bins so I thought why not.

51B2M1mc2SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Donavon Frankenrieter - "Recycled Recipes" -- an EP of cover versions, marked down to $1.99 at the local JB HiFi.

41clwIvs7UL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mark Kozolek -- "Little Drummer Boy" -- a 2CD set of live recordings, just MK & acoustic guitar. Saw MK play in BrisVegas a while back so this is like a little memento. Another JB HiFi mark down.

41F4W16YWXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Talk Talk - "Spirit Of Eden" -- can't find my original CD but saw this remasted edition for $7.99 at JB's. Companion to the Mark Hollis solo CD I picked up last week at the second-hand store.

--Geoff

• Like 1

G'day emesbee,

Yeh I'm a very big fan of PF. I've just dug out some of there LP's and I fairly sure

"The piper at the gates of dawn" 1967 is the first LP, no David on this one it was in the Sid Barret days.

"A saucerful of secets" 1968 was the second and this was the first with David.

Next was "Ummagumma" 1969, these first 3 LP are very different from the latter stuff.

"Relics" was recorded the same year as "meddle" 1971 not sure if it was before or after though.

Just a few corrections here:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn was with Syd, yes, correct.

Saucerful of Secrets had, from memory, 3 tracks with Syd and the rest with David.

Ummagumma I think is quite different from the earlier albums. Also has tracks written by each member.

Relics is a "best of" - mainly early singles from memory.

DS

Piper at the Gates of Dawn was with Syd, yes, correct.DS

This is off the LP's

track

1 Barrett

2 Barrett

3 Barrett

4 Barrett

5 Barrett,Wright,Waters, Mason

6 Walters

side II

1 Barrett,Wright,Waters,Mason

2 Barrett

3 Barrett

4 Barrett

5 Barrett

Saucerful of Secrets had, from memory, 3 tracks with Syd and the rest with David.DS

1 Waters

2 Wright

3 Waters

4 Walters

SideII

1 Waters,Wright,Mason,Gilmour

2 Wright

3 Barrett

Relics is a "best of" - mainly early singles from memory..DS

Not sure, but if it was a best off which LP did "Arnold Layne" & "See Emily Play" come from?

Ummagumma is a double LP, I got it as well as Relics a couple of years back.

The other two I got 20 years back for $19.95, they were sold as a set called what a nice pair.

I've got More as well but don't know the year, it was a movie soundtrack

I'm not quite old enough to be an expert on these guys, but I do like to buy there LP's

Cheers

snow:)