Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

Was checking out some of the music samples on the Womadelaide 2020 website this morning.

Another act that catches my interest is Rhiannon Giddens and Francesco Turrisi. Really looking forward to seeing them perform live.

The Blind Boys of Alabama have been added to the roster. More acts announced in late November.

Cancellation : Muthoni Drummer Queen has advised that, unfortunately, she is no longer able to perform at WOMADelaide and WOMAD NZ 2020.

6 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Full lineup announced.

Just reading the lineup gives the vibes of insanely great event.

4 hours ago, zippi said:

Just reading the lineup gives the vibes of insanely great event.

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed. There's only 4 or 5 acts I'd be keen on seeing. I'll be giving it a miss this time. I think our plunging dollar has a lot to do with it. Oh well, as long as Gina's making a killing.

11 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed. There's only 4 or 5 acts I'd be keen on seeing. I'll be giving it a miss this time. I think our plunging dollar has a lot to do with it. Oh well, as long as Gina's making a killing.

Maybe my expectations are way low, hence the earlier praise. But "times are a changin" and Womad is under ever increasing pressure toward the commercially proven acts - despite it being at complete odds with Womad itself.

There are some good acts there and I'm sure the event will be well attended. The problem for me is that of the acts I'd like to see, a couple I've seen before already. I've checked quite a few of the acts I'm not familiar with on youtube and I haven't been that impressed. Didn't mind the Spanish medieval band Factotum,but hardly a group I'd travel half way around Australia to see. Now, Anouar Brahem or someone in that class,that's a different matter. :)

I'm pretty certain if our dollar was around $0.85US there'd be a few more headliners in there.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

yep was keen to check out the full lineup announced today

Some "staples” and quite a few I’ve not heard of but look mighty intriguing! Hey I’m not "in the loop" as much these days, some I think Songlines mag has featured.

I’ll take the adventurous route!

Melbourne's own Public Opinion Afro Orchestra sure to put on a good show. Last time they played Womad it was pouring, crowd totally ignored it!

Keen to check out Ezra Collective, Kikagaku Moyo,  Los Amigos Invisibles, Minyo Crusaders, Trio Di Kali and Ustad Saami

Aust acts must come cheap, quite a few this year, our $ worth zilch.

regards Ian

45 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Melbourne's own Public Opinion Afro Orchestra sure to put on a good show. Last time they played Womad it was pouring, crowd totally ignored it!

Keen to check out Ezra Collective, Kikagaku Moyo,  Los Amigos Invisibles, Minyo Crusaders, Trio Di Kali and Ustad Saami

Aust acts must come cheap, quite a few this year, our $ worth zilch.

regards Ian

That's one thing I noticed. More than the usual number of local acts to pad out the roster.

Jorge Ben should be good. He'll have a good band backing him and Minyo Crusaders I checked out on youtube.  A Japanese band playing Brazilian music. They weren't too bad. Maybe they'll announce a couple of extra acts in January. They've done that on occasion in the past.

Ziggy Marley has now been added to the program, I'm quite keen to see him. There are a number of acts that I'm interested in seeing, but as always it is a bit of a mixed bag. Its impossible for everyone to enjoy absolutely everything (eg: I will give a miss to anything DJ or hip-hop), but there is enough to keep me going for yet another year. (To be honest, I think living in Adelaide makes the decision quite easy, with no travel or accommodation costs to worry about.)

Posted (edited)

A late inclusion to the roster.

Special Guest Announced

Welcoming Circolombia to WOMADelaide 2020!

This supercharged company of youthful Colombian artists has been changing the face of contemporary circus for over a decade, and we're ecstatic to welcome Circolombia to the WOMADelaide stage for a special one-off performance on Saturday.

Mixing high-risk, adrenalin-fuelled acrobatics with a vibrant mixtape of hip-hop, cumbia and drum 'n bass, this is circus brimming with Latin fire, urban flavour and heart-stopping energy.

Enjoy yourselves on the weekend, Womadelaidians. :)

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

We are driving over again this year. 
super annoyed that Mavis Staples is only playing on Monday arvo. Need to be home for Tuesday and as we are driving, we’ll miss her 😢

We are driving across too, leaving tomorrow afternoon to break up the trip. It's a long way to go so we are staying for the duration. So we will get to see Mavis and whoever else is scheduled at the limits of the program to reel people in for 4 day tickets. 

Sad news for Ziggy Marley fans.

Lineup Update
Ziggy Marley withdraws from 2020 Program

We are hugely disappointed to let you know that Ziggy Marley will unfortunately, no longer be performing at WOMADelaide this coming Monday 9 March in Botanic Park.
The statement received from Ziggy Marley today is:

“I would like to apologise to all the music fans in New Zealand and Australia. Unfortunately, I won’t be making it down there for the music festival, the WOMAD music festival next weekend.

“I had some unforeseen family responsibilities that came up and I have to take care of it.

“I always love coming. I was really looking forward to this trip and we haven’t been there in a while so it was really sad that we’re not making it but alas, next year at the WOMAD festivals we will be there and so we will see you then.

“My apologies to everyone – WOMAD crew, music fans, music lovers, everyone. My apologies, but we’ll see you next year.”

Hi All,

About to leave, looking forward to seeing / hearing the following today:

Ifriqiyya Electrique: Fusing the hypnotic rhythms of ancient Sub-Saharan ceremonies with a storm of electric guitars, bass and computer effects.

King Ayisoba: A child prodigy on the kologo, a two-stringed instrument with a calabash gourd resonator

Ustad Saami: The 75 year old Ustad Saami risks his life daily to keep alive his customised, 49-note, microtonal, multilingual Surti system.

Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita:  Classical harpist Finch and griot kora master Keita have since built a formidable reputation for their innovative and mesmerising performances. Drawing deeply on their diverse traditions, Mandinka rhythms mix and interweave seamlessly with Welsh traditional tunes.

JJ

Highlights so far today

Blind Boys of Alabama

Rhiannon Giddens (wow, just wow!)

Another fantastic Womad. Ok, here we go!

Fri:

Trio Da Kali + Adelaide string quartet (stage 3, one of my fave stages!) stunning!

Orquestra Akokan: classic 50's era Cuban, tight as!

Kikagaku Moyo: note perfect 70's psych, did I just pick up Dave Brubeck's Take Five riff in there!

The Cat Empire: Oz faves with the crowd, Felix Riebel is an OK singer but trumpeter Harry James Angus threw in a standout vocal on one impassioned number!

Late Night Tuff Guy: great stompin' set from DJ on stage 7!

Sat:

Hilarious Taste The Word session from Minyo Crusaders

L Subramaniam: sublime ragas

Rhiannon Giddens w Francesco Turrisi: truly superb!

RURA: stormin' fiddle n pipes set from Scots laddies

Minyo Crusaders: trad Japanese folk tunes to cumbia, reggae and boogaloo! Who would have thought? Loved 'em!!

Salif Keita: hmmmm, seen him quite a few times at previous Womads, will we? Slowly made our way through the huge crowd as random gaps appeared. Eventually up close, Salif in fine form and band absolutely incredible!!

Sun:

King Ayisoba: on mate's recommendation, fabulous Ghanian rhytms

Artefactum: medieval tunes from Spain, great musicians

Ezra Collective: new jazz out of London, band on fire! Survived the moshpit!

Orquestra Akokan: needed a second dose!

Iberi: traditional vocal harmonies from Georgian men's ensemble and some cool dance moves as well!

finished the night with a small dose of Greg Wilson Dj'ing and Briggs

Mon:

workshop with Iberi, back for more Georgian!

workshop with Tuuletar: joik, beatbox and vocal gymnastics with remarkable Finnish women's quartet!

Ezra Collective: different vibe, not as electric as their more "club" gig previously on stage 3

Minyo Crusaders: my favourite time of day late arvo on stage 2, perfect lighting to take some pics!

These guys... and gals are so much fun!!

Mavis Staples: still amazing at 80! Is that Talking Heads' Slippery People she's doin'? Yes indeed!

KemesZ a l'Est: Crazy Balken gypsy brass from Belgian guys dressed for all the world like bikies, mayhem on stage!

Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita: what superlatives can I use? Just sublime!

a few beats from ifriqiyya Electrique is all I could take, not my cup of tea at all.

The Gnawa trance musicians did it way better last year.

Sleaford Mods: some angry tirades and put downs of the ruling class from two Brit lads, quite fun actually.

Finished another Womad fittingly with some pulsing beats from DJ Themba!

regards, a rather tired Ian, bring on Womad 21!

Ok, here is my summary.

Trio Da Kali with the Adelaide string quartet - the combination worked surprisingly well.

The Blind Boys of Alabama - had to see them of course

Kim So Ra - caught the last half of their performance on Friday, and really enjoyed it

As The World Tipped - a visually stunning performance with a very obvious message, saw this on Friday evening

L. Subramanium - saw both of his performances, and enjoyed them greatly. I sort of got 'into the zone' during his Sunday evening performance and was absorbed by it.

Salif Keita - great performance and his band was really firing. A bit strange at the end though, when he left the stage before the band finished and didn't come back on.

Iberi - some powerful vocal harmonies and impressive dancing from this group from Georgia

Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita - sublime!

Artefactum - medieval music from Spain, with some very humorous chatter between tunes

Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi - probably one of my favourite performances from this year. Rhiannon Giddens has a powerful voice, and showed an impressive ability to effortlessly move from one musical style to another (bluegrass, jazz, Irish diddling etc.) Its a pity they only did one performance.

Ustad Saami - a 75 year old singer from Pakistan appearing with his four sons. An enjoyable performance, although I probably need to understand more about the background of his music to fully appreciate it.

RURA - I'm a sucker for a good Scottish (or Irish) folk band, and these guys certainly delivered with an energetic performance.

Kathryn Joseph - I found this a bit of an odd one. At first I wasn't too keen on her voice, but I found her performance quite mesmerising towards the end. Rather dark and moody though.

KermesZ à l'Est - what's not to like about a Belgian band who dress like bikies and tear up the stage with their antics. A lot of fun.

Orang Orang Drum Theatre - quite an impressive performance from this group from Malaysia.

Mavis Staples - a great performance from this lady and her band. A very simple setup with lead guitar, bass guitar and drums which was all that was needed. These guys could really play, and provided great support for Mavis Staples' distinctive voice.

Flor de Toloache - I don't think I truly appreciated this 4 piece all female mariachi group when I saw them starting up on Sunday, but I caught the second half of their final performance on the Zoo stage on Monday evening, and they were really firing. At one point the violin player launched into a quite amazing and fairly lengthy solo break. Very lively and jazz oriented, this lady could really play.

Around the park, it was good to see the projections of faces on the trees by artist Craig Walsh, if little bit eerie perhaps, as the faces move, blink and smile. (I seem to recall something similar at a much earlier Womadelaide, if on a smaller scale. Possibly from the same artist?)

Company Archibald Caramantran with their oversized puppets were a hit, as they seemed to make an appearance at quite a lot of the music performances on the larger stages.

Also a fine athletic performance from 'Gravity & Other Myths' on the grass near stage 2.

I didn't bother to see The Cat Empire or Kate Miller-Heidke, as I'm not really a fan of either performer.

Thanks for the summation guys. I didn't attend this year. Nice to hear you enjoyed yourselves.

Surprise for me was Briggs - final act on Sunday night.

My son dragged me to this, I wasn't keen as I don't really like hip hop and we had an early start on Monday to drive back to Melbourne.

He was awesome, such energy and positivity and humour. The crowd was going off big time.

And it was amazing to see a politically active Indigenous artist with such a large young crowd

I was there on Monday to see Mavis Staples and later, the Sleaford Mods who were easily the best band I've seen in years.