Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

On 3/4/2017 at 11:33 PM, emesbee said:

I'll be there all weekend, as usual.

PM

Have a great time, folks, and don't forget to report in occasionally and let us know what the gigs are like. :)

so....... who did I catch at Womad?

* * * *  =  excellent!

Friday:

Warsaw Village Band  * * *

Xylouris White  * * * * (superb interplay between two muso's! Buy their cd Black Peak!)

The Manganiyar Classroom  * * * *

Oumou Sangare  * * * * (great singer with an excellent band!)

DJ Rich Medina  * *

Saturday:

Oki Dub Ainu Band  * * * * (Japanese trad instro crossed with dub!)

Bokante  * * *

Sinkane  * * *

Baba Zula  * * * * ( I was upfront in the "moshpit" at the intimate zoo stage! "Do not obey!" we were urged to yell... and we did!)

Emir Kusturica and No Smoking Orchestra  * * * * (super tight band!)

Skratch Bastid DJ  * * * * ( some very cool turntablist antics!)

Sunday:

The Piyut Ensemble  * * *

The Hot 8 Brass Band  * * * *

Ana Tijoux  * * *

Los Mambanegra * * * *

Philip Glass Ensemble with Koyaanisqatsi film  * * * *

Parov Stelar  * * * * (amazing brass section, great mix on the PA, astounding light show!!)

Monday:

TAGO  * * * * (masterful Korean drumming!)

Fuel Fandango      * * * * (there's always a band you know absolutely nothing about, really good Spanish pop band!)

Mercedes Peon  * * *

Inna Modja  * * * * (upfront stage 2, impressive Malian singer with a modern electronic twist!)

The Specials  * * * * ( who wouldn't jump around to A Message to You Rudy?)

Rahaan DJ      * *

roving acts Les Dodos:  Cie Ekert * * * * (explorers in pith helmets riding dodos! and The Horsemen: Les Goulus * * * * (I absolutely love these guys!)

Carabosse fire show  * * * * * and their tribute to the refugee crisis extremely moving!

regards Ian

Edited by Ian McP

Great summary.

Thanks for rubbing in that fact I missed Xylouris/White.  As a slight point of interest - I only later found out that Bokante are a collective driven by Michael League, the composer/band leader of the very amazing monster jazz group Snarky Puppy. Im driving all the way from Adelaide to Melbourne to see them at the Melbourne Recital Centre in April...but that might be another thread.

Byron Bay would be a great Father-Son trip but I think there would a few jealous family members to contend with. 

I will definitely plan better to have a GTG around my place next Womad for you interstaters. 

Bump for 2018. Who's going this year?

We've booked for a family trip. Our first time. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't seen enough live music lately and the line-up looks excellent.

I have stuff by Avalanches, Dan Sultan, Gogol Bordello, Havana Meets Kingston, Kamasi Washington, Nai Palm, Tex Perkins, Thievery Corporation and Thundercat - so they are all on my radar.

But then there are lots of artists I don't know, so I am interested in recommendations. I like what little Mali desert blues I've heard, so Tinariwen sounds promising. And Hypnotic Brass Ensemble sound like they might be up my alley. What are some other must sees?

Me and the Mrs.  love going - will be there. If you are a RAA member you get discounts on tickets. 

Edited by frankn
Added information

I'm definitely in. We should plan the meet up at some stage, there are enough regulars from SNA, plus the newbies that will have a great time. This is a festival not to be missed, even if just for an atmosphere that no other festival replicates.

4 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

we're thinking of going... a good friend is playing in a band (YID! check em out)

What do people do for accommodation?

What is your price range?

4 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

we're thinking of going... a good friend is playing in a band (YID! check em out)

What do people do for accommodation?

We are lucky that I have friends there,so accommodation is free :thumb:

If you plan on staying at a motel/hotel etc, book sooner than later because the Fringe and Arts Festival is also on. Speaking of which, here's what music's on at the festival

https://www.adelaidefestival.com.au/?sel=all&gclid=CjwKCAiAweXTBRAhEiwAmb3Xu72c5JPMiiVydJY4X1SGK337INkQkDytlp2CQ_1BXxfJ9ysXSqb2YBoCWXcQAvD_BwE