Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

I'll be at stage 2 for calexico at 3pm. I'm looking forward to seeing them

I see VAF are sponsors of the festival this year. Just entered the draw to win a pair of speakers. Fingers crossed

I'm still tossing up Sunday - primarily for Calexico but only hesitant because their dedicated show last year was so good I might be disappointed with the distraction of the festival crowd. Anything else that day that could swing me over to forking out? If there were a few interstates here, we should have organised an interstate Gtg! Sorry for missing that opportunity guys. Remind us next time!

Lots of good music on Sunday.Savina Yannatou,Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro,Diego El Cigala,Ibeyi and St Germain.

Just watching The Strides - reggae hip hop crew from Sydney. Excellence!

Diego El Cigala and band were good last night. I enjoyed DakhaBrakha. Surpringly high turnout for their CD signing.

De La Soul had a pretty tight band but there's only so many songs I can listen to with the word 'party' in them so we beat a hasty retreat to the Osunlade gig and spent some time there watching pretty young ladies dance.Hey,we might be old but we're not dead :)

I see VAF are sponsors of the festival this year. Just entered the draw to win a pair of speakers. Fingers crossed

We entered too.Wasn't the woodgrain on those large speakers beautiful?

Any ideas who the surprise guest at 2:00 pm is? I forgot to ask Vic or Collin at Mr V last night

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

We entered too.Wasn't the woodgrain on those large speakers beautiful?

Oh yeah I know - I was thinking the same. Would have loved to have heard them

Anyone see Mountain Mocha Kilaminjaro? Japanese Godzilla Funk - Six super-dapper instrumentalists out of the ghetto-funk scene, playing it cool by reviving 1970s throwback soul with pinches of up-tempo jazz-lounge, cosmic psychedelia and dynamic rock.

They opened with a couple of barn burners and the crowd went nuts.

another Womad done 'n' dusted!

plunged in Friday night, in rough order saw and enjoyed Hazmat Modine, Angelique Kidjo, DakhaBrakha (avant garde Ukrainian ROCKS!) Debashish Battachayra, Miles Cleret (DJ til stumps, good set!)

Sat: Alsarah & the Nubatones, Dakha Brakha (again!), Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico (fruit bat accompaniment!), #[su:m], De La Soul (OK, not my scene but......they did have a tight backing band) Osunlade (DJ til stumps, good set!)

Sun:  Kev Carmody, Mountain Mocha Kilimanjo (stage 3, I was front row, super tight funk, crowd went nuts, atmosphere was electric!), Ester Rada (very tight backing band!), 47 Soul (lasted only a few songs however their workshop the next day was fun) St Germain (I was front row again, mighty loud, good but a little disappointing, he was better back on last tour, Malian muso's sounded a little disconnected to Ludovic's beats), Marcellus Pittman (DJ a little too disco for me)

Mon: Tek Tek Ensemble (Melb locals went down well), Surahn (too MOR pop for me), Songhoy Blues (good, but annoying bass boom, sack the mixer!) Seun Kuti (slow start but then I ventured up close for a few pics, he went into full political mode, band changed up a few gears and delivered), Orange Blossom (second show, stage 3. Wow! The buzz had got around after their first performance!), Asian Dub Foundation (from back in the crowd, comfortably close to the beer tent, sound was pretty bad, too much of a mish mash band for me)

finished another Womad at the Novatech with Sadar Bahar (DJ) delivering a really fun and seamless set of great dance tunes (old school: just two tables, purely vinyl and a mixer)

check out Adelaide photographer pics

www.craftypics.com

regards Ian

Diego El Cigala and band were good last night. I enjoyed DakhaBrakha. Surpringly high turnout for their CD signing.

De La Soul had a pretty tight band but there's only so many songs I can listen to with the word 'party' in them so we beat a hasty retreat to the Osunlade gig and spent some time there watching pretty young ladies dance.Hey,we might be old but we're not dead :)

Second that, DakhaBrakha were awesome, just goes to show give the crowd something really different and they'll love it! I reckon Osunlade put in a pretty good set too.

I only caught a little bit of John Grant as I was heading to another performance. Didn't really hear enough to make a judgement, but might have been interesting.

These days I am increasingly finding that I am becoming less interested in the 'big ticket' items, and more often than not find myself gravitating to the smaller stages. Perhaps its because I'm getting older, or more discerning, or maybe both.

A case in point is St Germain, who was obviously a big drawcard for many, as the crowd was enormous. I was not very familiar with this artist beforehand, and I have to say that I personally found the performance quite boring, really. Very heavily amplified, and quite mechanical sounding to my ears. After about 20 minutes I couldn't stand it any more, and wandered off to the food area to consider my next option, and all I could hear from there was doof-doof.

It was a similar story with a number of other performers too. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80, for instance. Once again, a very loud, rather mechanical sounding performance which didn't hold my interest. I was also rather disappointed with Orange Blossom. I had been to their workshop session earlier, which only featured two of them (the singer and the drummer) and really enjoyed that. Their later performance on stage 3 was something quite different though. Once again, heavily over-amplified and bass heavy, with the band 'playing' to a pre-programmed backing track. In fact, I don't think there was a lot of playing going on at all. The violinist, for example, was jumping about and gyrating a lot, and occasionally scraping his bow across the strings, but didn't really seem to be playing anything much. The singer was all but drowned out by the backing track, which was a pity really, as I quite liked her voice when I heard her at their workshop session. The crowd around me seemed to be impressed, but it was all a bit over the top afaik. I would have preferred them to ditch the pre-programming and actually play their instruments!

I could go on about a few others too, but reading this back makes me realise that I'm sounding rather negative, so on with the positives, of which there were quite a few.

I really enjoyed Debashish Bhattacharya's performances. There was a wonderful interplay between Debashish and the tabla player. I thought his daughter did quite a good job with her singing too.

The Edmar Casteneda Trio were excellent. Colombian style jazz, with some very intense playing from Edmar, especially during their second performance. His wife sang a few songs with the trio in the second half of the performance. Interestingly, from where I was sitting I could see Debashish and his two companions sitting off to the side watching the performance.

The Jerry Cans from Northern Canada (Nunavut) were very good too. Good interaction with the audience, and very enjoyable performances.

I also enjoyed Spiro, and saw both of their performances. Slightly unusual take on Northumbrian folk tunes, played in a sort of 'minimalist' style (think of instrumental folk meets Phillip Glass, or Michael Nyman, sort of...). I quite liked what I heard, although I do think they could vary things a bit more, as every tune they do follows a similar pattern. I did like them though.

On the friday night, I started out watching Angelique Kidjo with The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Not bad, quite enjoyable, although I'm not sure that her singing blended as well with the orchestra as it could have. Interesting idea though. I watch about half of the performance before heading off to see The Cedric Burnside Project (both of these were 'one performance only', scheduled at the same time, and I wanted to see both!). Very basic blues, with Cedric on drums and vocals, and someone playing electric guitar. Great performance, loved it.

The Spooky Men's Chorale were fun, just wished I'd gone to their workshop.

I also enjoyed Dhaka Brakha and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

The acrobatic team who performed on stage one on Sunday at 1pm were excellent (listed in the program as 'surprise guest', and I'm afraid I didn't catch their name).

I wasn't quite sure what to think of [su:m], probably a bit of an acquired taste, I guess.

Saw a little bit of Kev Carmody. Not bad, although not quite as good as last time around at Womadelaide.

In the roving performances, Acrojou (The Wheel House) was very good. Quite an original idea, very well choreographed. Caught a brief glimpse of Rooman on the last day, also The Fairly Fresh Fish Company.  :)

Also, I noticed they have made a few changes to the layout this year. Instead of having the food area, craft stalls and 'special interest' stalls as separate areas, they arranged them along a sort of 'avenue', with the food stalls in the middle section. I though the new arrangement worked quite well. It allowed for a good flow through of people going from one area to another, and there seemed to be less congestion than in previous years. There was a good selection of food stalls too, some new ones this year. The toilet situation was better than last year (which was quite bad), but could still do with some improvement. This was one aspect which they always used to get right in the past, but have slipped a bit over the last couple of years.

On the whole, a very enjoyable Womadelaide, my reservations about certain performances being really just an expression of personal tastes.

Did anyone catch JOHN GRANT at either Womadelaide or Meredith.?? Would like to hear your thoughts.

ZM.

I saw John Grant at the Metro in Sydney during the week. I have probably seen him 6-7 times now. Another awesome show. John in his cheeky and engaging form. I struggle to match his dark bitter lyrics to his happy stage shows. He mixed it up across the range of albums and played with a full band.

My favourite gigs of his however were around the Queen Of Denmark time where these was a grand piano and keyboard and one other muso and they would alternate. It was all about his voice and piano. Having said that I'd go again tonight if he repeated this weeks show. One eyed fan review.

Edited by Viognier