Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

Wonderful sounding instruments at the [su:m] gig. They could be this year's surprice packet for me.

another Womad done 'n' dusted!

plunged in Friday night, in rough order saw and enjoyed Hazmat Modine, Angelique Kidjo, DakhaBrakha (avant garde Ukrainian ROCKS!) Debashish Battachayra, Miles Cleret (DJ til stumps, good set!)

Sat: Alsarah & the Nubatones, Dakha Brakha (again!), Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico (fruit bat accompaniment!), #[su:m], De La Soul (OK, not my scene but......they did have a tight backing band) Osunlade (DJ til stumps, good set!)

Sun:  Kev Carmody, Mountain Mocha Kilimanjo (stage 3, I was front row, super tight funk, crowd went nuts, atmosphere was electric!), Ester Rada (very tight backing band!), 47 Soul (lasted only a few songs however their workshop the next day was fun) St Germain (I was front row again, mighty loud, good but a little disappointing, he was better back on last tour, Malian muso's sounded a little disconnected to Ludovic's beats), Marcellus Pittman (DJ a little too disco for me)

Mon: Tek Tek Ensemble (Melb locals went down well), Surahn (too MOR pop for me), Songhoy Blues (good, but annoying bass boom, sack the mixer!) Seun Kuti (slow start but then I ventured up close for a few pics, he went into full political mode, band changed up a few gears and delivered), Orange Blossom (second show, stage 3. Wow! The buzz had got around after their first performance!), Asian Dub Foundation (from back in the crowd, comfortably close to the beer tent, sound was pretty bad, too much of a mish mash band for me)

finished another Womad at the Novatech with Sadar Bahar (DJ) delivering a really fun and seamless set of great dance tunes (old school: just two tables, purely vinyl and a mixer)

check out Adelaide photographer pics

www.craftypics.com

regards Ian

Diego El Cigala and band were good last night. I enjoyed DakhaBrakha. Surpringly high turnout for their CD signing.

De La Soul had a pretty tight band but there's only so many songs I can listen to with the word 'party' in them so we beat a hasty retreat to the Osunlade gig and spent some time there watching pretty young ladies dance.Hey,we might be old but we're not dead :)

Second that, DakhaBrakha were awesome, just goes to show give the crowd something really different and they'll love it! I reckon Osunlade put in a pretty good set too.

I only caught a little bit of John Grant as I was heading to another performance. Didn't really hear enough to make a judgement, but might have been interesting.

These days I am increasingly finding that I am becoming less interested in the 'big ticket' items, and more often than not find myself gravitating to the smaller stages. Perhaps its because I'm getting older, or more discerning, or maybe both.

A case in point is St Germain, who was obviously a big drawcard for many, as the crowd was enormous. I was not very familiar with this artist beforehand, and I have to say that I personally found the performance quite boring, really. Very heavily amplified, and quite mechanical sounding to my ears. After about 20 minutes I couldn't stand it any more, and wandered off to the food area to consider my next option, and all I could hear from there was doof-doof.

It was a similar story with a number of other performers too. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80, for instance. Once again, a very loud, rather mechanical sounding performance which didn't hold my interest. I was also rather disappointed with Orange Blossom. I had been to their workshop session earlier, which only featured two of them (the singer and the drummer) and really enjoyed that. Their later performance on stage 3 was something quite different though. Once again, heavily over-amplified and bass heavy, with the band 'playing' to a pre-programmed backing track. In fact, I don't think there was a lot of playing going on at all. The violinist, for example, was jumping about and gyrating a lot, and occasionally scraping his bow across the strings, but didn't really seem to be playing anything much. The singer was all but drowned out by the backing track, which was a pity really, as I quite liked her voice when I heard her at their workshop session. The crowd around me seemed to be impressed, but it was all a bit over the top afaik. I would have preferred them to ditch the pre-programming and actually play their instruments!

I could go on about a few others too, but reading this back makes me realise that I'm sounding rather negative, so on with the positives, of which there were quite a few.

I really enjoyed Debashish Bhattacharya's performances. There was a wonderful interplay between Debashish and the tabla player. I thought his daughter did quite a good job with her singing too.

The Edmar Casteneda Trio were excellent. Colombian style jazz, with some very intense playing from Edmar, especially during their second performance. His wife sang a few songs with the trio in the second half of the performance. Interestingly, from where I was sitting I could see Debashish and his two companions sitting off to the side watching the performance.

The Jerry Cans from Northern Canada (Nunavut) were very good too. Good interaction with the audience, and very enjoyable performances.

I also enjoyed Spiro, and saw both of their performances. Slightly unusual take on Northumbrian folk tunes, played in a sort of 'minimalist' style (think of instrumental folk meets Phillip Glass, or Michael Nyman, sort of...). I quite liked what I heard, although I do think they could vary things a bit more, as every tune they do follows a similar pattern. I did like them though.

On the friday night, I started out watching Angelique Kidjo with The Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Not bad, quite enjoyable, although I'm not sure that her singing blended as well with the orchestra as it could have. Interesting idea though. I watch about half of the performance before heading off to see The Cedric Burnside Project (both of these were 'one performance only', scheduled at the same time, and I wanted to see both!). Very basic blues, with Cedric on drums and vocals, and someone playing electric guitar. Great performance, loved it.

The Spooky Men's Chorale were fun, just wished I'd gone to their workshop.

I also enjoyed Dhaka Brakha and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

The acrobatic team who performed on stage one on Sunday at 1pm were excellent (listed in the program as 'surprise guest', and I'm afraid I didn't catch their name).

I wasn't quite sure what to think of [su:m], probably a bit of an acquired taste, I guess.

Saw a little bit of Kev Carmody. Not bad, although not quite as good as last time around at Womadelaide.

In the roving performances, Acrojou (The Wheel House) was very good. Quite an original idea, very well choreographed. Caught a brief glimpse of Rooman on the last day, also The Fairly Fresh Fish Company.  :)

Also, I noticed they have made a few changes to the layout this year. Instead of having the food area, craft stalls and 'special interest' stalls as separate areas, they arranged them along a sort of 'avenue', with the food stalls in the middle section. I though the new arrangement worked quite well. It allowed for a good flow through of people going from one area to another, and there seemed to be less congestion than in previous years. There was a good selection of food stalls too, some new ones this year. The toilet situation was better than last year (which was quite bad), but could still do with some improvement. This was one aspect which they always used to get right in the past, but have slipped a bit over the last couple of years.

On the whole, a very enjoyable Womadelaide, my reservations about certain performances being really just an expression of personal tastes.

Did anyone catch JOHN GRANT at either Womadelaide or Meredith.?? Would like to hear your thoughts.

ZM.

I saw John Grant at the Metro in Sydney during the week. I have probably seen him 6-7 times now. Another awesome show. John in his cheeky and engaging form. I struggle to match his dark bitter lyrics to his happy stage shows. He mixed it up across the range of albums and played with a full band.

My favourite gigs of his however were around the Queen Of Denmark time where these was a grand piano and keyboard and one other muso and they would alternate. It was all about his voice and piano. Having said that I'd go again tonight if he repeated this weeks show. One eyed fan review.

Edited by Viognier

Just thought I'd add a few more comments about some of the performances I saw at Womadelaide.

Diego el Cigala. Quite a good performance, although it was a little different from what I was expecting. His performance style was more in the nature of fairly laid back jazz singing, whereas I had assumed that being a flamenco singer it would be rather more lively. Nothing wrong with the performance, in fact it was very good, but it just shows that one should leave one's assumptions behind when attending performances of artists one is not familiar with.

Asha Bhosle. Oh dear, what went wrong here? Quite frankly, this was a shambles, to put it mildly. There was a lot of uncertainty between each song, with the band members all talking to each other about what they should do next. There was a complete lack of coordination, nobody seemed to know what they were doing, and nobody was in control. At one point early in the performance Asha Boshle walked off the stage, probably in frustration, and told one of the other band members to introduce the next song. He did as he was told, but they all seemed unsure about what was going on, until he saw her walking back on a little bit later and announced 'oh here she is'. I don't really know what the problem was, lack of rehearsal perhaps? I was prepared to cut Asha Boshle some slack, seeing as she is in her 80s, but I think she deserved better than this. It was painful to watch.

Djuki Mala. This was an indigenous dance group, consisting of five guys from Arnhem Land, performing on stage 2. It started off in fairly predictable fashion, with the guys doing some traditional indigenous dancing, interspersed with recorded interviews with members of their community projected on to the screen behind them. And then, it all changed. Part way through one of the dances, they suddenly launched into Zorba The Greek, and it took everyone by surprise. From then on it was anything goes. The Zorba dance was followed by a Bollywood segment, then there was Singing In The Rain, complete with umbrellas. There was also a Michael Jackson moonwalk in there somewhere too. The audience loved it, and there was rapturous applause at the end. In one of the projected interviews, the guys said they wanted to make people laugh, and they certainly achieved that. Yes, perhaps the show was a bit lacking in structure as it progressed, but it really didn't matter. It was great entertainment. Full marks to the guys for doing something a bit different, and bringing the audience along with them.

I agree,emesbee,re the big ticket* acts.I must be getting old too,with a preference for the acoustic acts.I tend to spend quite a bit of time at the Zoo stage and stage 3.My favourite acts this year:

DakhaBrakha

Edmar Castaneda Trio

[su:m]

Debashish Bhattacharya.

*Speaking of big ticket,it cost the Womad organizers $20,000 just for De La Soul's plane tickets. They insisted coming out on first class.

And only two of them turned up. The other one stayed in the US because his son was arrested on drug and driving charges. Apparently that counts as 'family reasons'. Womad should have insisted on a refund.

I just saw the word hip-hop in the program and gave them a miss.

You didn't miss much emesbee.Their band was pretty good,but their style seemed dated.We were there for about 20 minutes and moved on.In that time they did two songs and talked for 10.

One thing I dearly miss at Womad, the performance art, suppose budget constraints? Who can forget Carabosse? Those guys (French of course, where all good performance artists hail from!)

with the monster candle "firestorms"

they were in Auckland just a couple of weeks ago!

http://www.aucklandfestival.co.nz/events/carabosse-fire-garden-at-auckland-domain/

The year Lo'Jo performed in front of Carabosse's installations was truly transcendental!

regards Ian

You didn't miss much emesbee.Their band was pretty good,but their style seemed dated.We were there for about 20 minutes and moved on.In that time they did two songs and talked for 10.

"There's a party goin' on".......... not.

Time to fire this thread back up. Any thoughts on making this a bit of a GTG while we're at it? I'll be there (as usual), who else?

It sure is looking like one of the better lineups for some time.

We will be there Fri - Sun incl.   

I'm giving Womad a miss this year and possibly next year. I need a break and would like to attend the Melbourne Jazz Festival in 2018.

I'll be there all weekend, as usual.

my tips 2017

a preliminary flip through:

roving twits Les Goulus (these French guys are very funny, they’ve been before)
fire maestros Carabosse (on a return visit, a must see!)

Aziza Brahim
Baba Zula
Bokante
Emir Kusturica & No Smoking Orchestra
Inna Modja
Lamine Sonko & the African Intelligence
Mercedes Peon
Oumou Sangare
Orquestra Tipica Fernandez Fierro
Oki Dub Ainu Band
Rich Medina DJ
Parov Stelar
Sinkane
Skratch Bastid DJ
The Specials
Warsaw Village Band
Xylouris White

regards Ian

I dont know many of these artists except I reckon I'd jump the fence and risk a brief stay in jail for Xylouris White

A great lineup. Parov Stelar should have the crowd jumping with some electro-swing and don't forget the screening of Koyaanisqatsi with the Philip Glass Ensemble. A visual and audio feast.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

29 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

A great lineup. Parov Stelar should have the crowd jumping with some electro-swing and don't forget the screening of Koyaanisqatsi with the Philip Glass Ensemble. A visual and audio feast.

pity Womad's not hip to Caravan Palace yet!

regards Ian

Finally arrived in Adelaide (long drive), and a quick scout around the park tells me it will be mayhem getting a car park nearby. If they had to tear up the car park on Hackney Rd, why oh why don't they have alternative arrangements? Now all those Byron Bay hippies will have to find an alternative campsite.

If anyone wants to have a meet up, just let me know. @Ian McP much of your picking is highly desirous to me too, and I'm sure many others will be watching the same. I'll be in town from mid afternoon, then it's onward to the cultural mystery ground that Womadelaide is.

22 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Finally arrived in Adelaide (long drive), and a quick scout around the park tells me it will be mayhem getting a car park nearby. If they had to tear up the car park on Hackney Rd, why oh why don't they have alternative arrangements? Now all those Byron Bay hippies will have to find an alternative campsite.

If anyone wants to have a meet up, just let me know. @Ian McP much of your picking is highly desirous to me too, and I'm sure many others will be watching the same. I'll be in town from mid afternoon, then it's onward to the cultural mystery ground that Womadelaide is.

sent you a pm

On 3/4/2017 at 11:33 PM, emesbee said:

I'll be there all weekend, as usual.

PM

Have a great time, folks, and don't forget to report in occasionally and let us know what the gigs are like. :)