Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

The Blind Boys of Alabama have been added to the roster. More acts announced in late November.

Cancellation : Muthoni Drummer Queen has advised that, unfortunately, she is no longer able to perform at WOMADelaide and WOMAD NZ 2020.

6 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Full lineup announced.

Just reading the lineup gives the vibes of insanely great event.

4 hours ago, zippi said:

Just reading the lineup gives the vibes of insanely great event.

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed. There's only 4 or 5 acts I'd be keen on seeing. I'll be giving it a miss this time. I think our plunging dollar has a lot to do with it. Oh well, as long as Gina's making a killing.

11 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

To be honest, I'm a bit underwhelmed. There's only 4 or 5 acts I'd be keen on seeing. I'll be giving it a miss this time. I think our plunging dollar has a lot to do with it. Oh well, as long as Gina's making a killing.

Maybe my expectations are way low, hence the earlier praise. But "times are a changin" and Womad is under ever increasing pressure toward the commercially proven acts - despite it being at complete odds with Womad itself.

There are some good acts there and I'm sure the event will be well attended. The problem for me is that of the acts I'd like to see, a couple I've seen before already. I've checked quite a few of the acts I'm not familiar with on youtube and I haven't been that impressed. Didn't mind the Spanish medieval band Factotum,but hardly a group I'd travel half way around Australia to see. Now, Anouar Brahem or someone in that class,that's a different matter. :)

I'm pretty certain if our dollar was around $0.85US there'd be a few more headliners in there.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

yep was keen to check out the full lineup announced today

Some "staples” and quite a few I’ve not heard of but look mighty intriguing! Hey I’m not "in the loop" as much these days, some I think Songlines mag has featured.

I’ll take the adventurous route!

Melbourne's own Public Opinion Afro Orchestra sure to put on a good show. Last time they played Womad it was pouring, crowd totally ignored it!

Keen to check out Ezra Collective, Kikagaku Moyo,  Los Amigos Invisibles, Minyo Crusaders, Trio Di Kali and Ustad Saami

Aust acts must come cheap, quite a few this year, our $ worth zilch.

regards Ian

45 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Melbourne's own Public Opinion Afro Orchestra sure to put on a good show. Last time they played Womad it was pouring, crowd totally ignored it!

Keen to check out Ezra Collective, Kikagaku Moyo,  Los Amigos Invisibles, Minyo Crusaders, Trio Di Kali and Ustad Saami

Aust acts must come cheap, quite a few this year, our $ worth zilch.

regards Ian

That's one thing I noticed. More than the usual number of local acts to pad out the roster.

Jorge Ben should be good. He'll have a good band backing him and Minyo Crusaders I checked out on youtube.  A Japanese band playing Brazilian music. They weren't too bad. Maybe they'll announce a couple of extra acts in January. They've done that on occasion in the past.

Ziggy Marley has now been added to the program, I'm quite keen to see him. There are a number of acts that I'm interested in seeing, but as always it is a bit of a mixed bag. Its impossible for everyone to enjoy absolutely everything (eg: I will give a miss to anything DJ or hip-hop), but there is enough to keep me going for yet another year. (To be honest, I think living in Adelaide makes the decision quite easy, with no travel or accommodation costs to worry about.)