WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

t_mike

On 06/02/2018 at 2:27 PM, Monty said:

Bump for 2018. Who's going this year?

We've booked for a family trip. Our first time. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't seen enough live music lately and the line-up looks excellent.

I have stuff by Avalanches, Dan Sultan, Gogol Bordello, Havana Meets Kingston, Kamasi Washington, Nai Palm, Tex Perkins, Thievery Corporation and Thundercat - so they are all on my radar.

But then there are lots of artists I don't know, so I am interested in recommendations. I like what little Mali desert blues I've heard, so Tinariwen sounds promising. And Hypnotic Brass Ensemble sound like they might be up my alley. What are some other must sees?

Seems to a fair few acts there that don't seem to have anything to do with world music.

It's like Blues Festivals these days are Rock Festivals.

• Like 1

So looking forward to Havana/Kinston/Savona, but also Avalanches, the nordic My Bubba (My from Sweden and Bubba from Iceland, voices and old nordic folk instruments) -edit just realised not on Sunday- damn, Bashka (Aus/Turkey), Lura (Cape Verde), Wasado & Moussa Diakite.....

• Like 1

Had so much fun at Womad today:

Arboria inflatable environment by UKs architects of air was unreal, then Justine Clarke in kids zone for the little one (nominally only as I was the one singing along heaps more than the 4yo), then caught the end of set of Lura from Cape Verde via portugal - heaps of fun, Dustyesky was downright chilling - out of place, out of time (a choir of Aussie blokes singing Russian songs - in Russian), San Lazaro very formidable latin grooves, next Dan Sultan saw five-ish songs at the start of the set - the man is at the absolute height of his craft - just amasing,songstress Beduine very dreamy (a sort of a Ron Sexsmith vibe), then were stuck for ages getting food and completely missed Bashka, and only caught the tail end of tour de force Kamasi Washington (heard most of the 1st half of the set waiting for food in the distance also), then angels in the sky with truckloads of white feathers in a snowstorm-like finale were magic, saw the first 5 songs of Bixiga 70 from Sao Paolo  - very heavy underground jazz funk grooves - deadly (bass guitar, baritone (or was it bass?) sax and drums grooving in unison just blew me away, to which they add the regular sax, trombone, keys and the bandleader on a tastefully distorted Les Paul guitar - they actually reminded me of the energy and underground vibe the Avalanches had in late 90's El Producto EP (although different music genre altogether), then moved on to the Avalanches and while they've an undeniable songwritting strength and stage presence, going for over the top, larger than life levels of volume ultimately makes everything so distorted that the melodies were nearly unrecognisable and therefore everything comes off as weak. I mean their genius, songwriting skills and stage presence is undeniable, BUT....

Anyway, heard about 4 songs or so of that set at which point the little one was asleep, and both me and the wife were spent so headed home without seeing Havana Meets Kingston - so wish they would've been schedule at 9.30 and avalanches at 10.30 but hey...still an awesome day and sooooo well organised and executed by Womadelaide crowd...

Edited by zippi
argh... forgot about Dan Sultan
  • Like 2

A quick summary of some personal highlights, so far.

Anoushka Shankar on Friday evening. I wasn't so keen on the early part of her performance, a bit too much electronics for my liking, but after that I really enjoyed it. That led very nicely into the spectacular high wire performance of Gratte Ciel's "Place des Anges". Yes, I was expecting feathers. What I wasn't expecting was the absolute deluge that followed! I was standing right next to one of the 'feather cannons' (for wont of a better term) without realising what it was. Took me totally by surprise, but what a blast (literally). Loved every moment of it.

Rodrigo y Gabriela were good, but I don't understand why they played the long intro music before walking on stage. They struck me as possibly being a bit under prepared, but it was an enjoyable performance.

I really enjoyed Elephant Sessions on Saturday, and caught the second part of their set on Sunday. Five Scottish lads on their first visit to Australia, and they played up a storm. Also enjoyed the performance of Cuban singer Dayme Arocena on stage 3. She has a powerful voice, and very good interaction with the audience too.

Then there was DustyEsky (probably an appropriate name, given the dry, dusty and feathery condition of Botanic Park at the moment). Totally non-authentic 'Russians' from Mullumgrad. They were a lot of fun, and actually sang quite well.

Yesterday got to see Noura Mint Seymali, Tinariwen and La Vent du Nord from Quebec. Really enjoyed their performance, hope to catch them again today.

Also saw the Manganiyar Seduction, which was excellent. On the way out, after Elephant Sessions, caught a bit of Havana Meets Kingston, which was quite good from what I saw. I was fading a bit at this stage though, so it was time to head home.

• Like 2

• Volunteer

So ... my highlights...

This was the first Womad for me and the missus. I was really impressed at the organisation, the atmosphere and the overall vibe of the festival. Loads of people but it never felt overcrowded. It was stinking hot but everyone kept their cool and shared the shade.

I did feel a bit for some of the daytime performers who would have been playing to some pretty big empty spaces (where the sun was) dotted with some very crowded shady areas

My highlights:

- I'm biased about these guys 'cos a friend is the bass player... YID!.... Crazy massive band playing an infectious blend of yiddish folk music, klezmer jazz and funk...an absolute riot that had the crowd going nuts. Their Yiddish version of "The boxer" was just beautiful (you know "beautiful" when you say it with the emphasis on the 't'... beautiful... that was them)

Also amazing were the three Conway-Zygier daughters on vocals. Go and see Alma Zygier playing around Melbourne if you can

- Deborah Conway + Willie Zygier and their daughters (see above).... An icon of Australian music, still singing with that amazing, powerful voice and backed by their daughters. Moving stuff

Violons Barbares: what can I say... A Frenchman a Bulgarian and a Mongolian walk into a music festival. 

Have a look at the linked video, these guys were insanely good. The crowd was on their feet from the first song.... loved them

I was absolutely shattered after watching Violins Barbares and was going to head home, but walking past Gogol Bordello I got stuck. This was wall-to-wall insanity ! Dancing knee-deep in feather (the audience, not the band) and these guys exploded across the stage. Gypsy punk is a great description...

Other honourable mentions 

- Chico Trujillo: I was too hot to move away from my shady spot, so I didn't get as close as I wanted to... but they were awesome

-Pat Thomas and the Kwashibu Area Band... only saw half their set as we had to leave for the airport. But they were a lot of fun

- Noura Mint Seymali ... she reminded me of a Mauritian female Robert Johnson (does that make any sense?). Raw blues, powerful and emotional even if it was in another language

- Mama Kin Spender - how had I not heard of her before. Great voice great songs

All in all, one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. We'll be back next year for sure

• Like 4

Had my 5th or 6th WOMAD experience, the second with our young kids. What a wonderful event; high-quality performances, clean and friendly, good food/drink, etc. Worth the pilgrimage every year. (Only issue is the annual guarantee that it will be blisteringly hot. Oh well, no ones fault...).

Agree with all that has been said; loved Gogol Bordello, Pat Thomas, Kamasi Washington and many more.

I can attest that seeing Gratte Ciel on the Friday night, with absolutely no idea what was to come, with my young kids, was a memory we'll never forget. We were right in the middle of it. Childlike joy doesn't do it justice. I can still feel the screams of delight coming from thousands of people. (By the third time on Sunday, the charm had waned through the lack of surprise, but still a brilliant interlude in the music). 

• Like 2