WOMADelaide appreciation thread. Who's Attending?

t_mike

There seems to be a good following on SNA of folk who enjoy world music. Being a WOMADelaide devotee I thought I would start this thread for those that wish to discuss the upcoming festival and the acts as they are announced. For those unfamiliar, the festival is not simply world music, and over the years has included rock, indie, classical, opera and some absolutely amazing jazz performances. All musicians are of international acclaim, the standard is quite high, no duds here. It seems to have a mortgage on Australia's best music festival, having won it numerous times. Anyone who truely enjoys music will find something here.

At some stage later I will start a thread in GTG's, this is a big event and could lead to many SNAers meeting up, new friendships, etc.

Post on. :)

• Like 2

Well,as sure as God did make those little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime, @@emesbee will be there.My picks so far are

Dakha Brakha

Debashish Bhattacharya

Diego el Cigala

Savina Yannatou & Primavera Salonico

Songhoy Blues

Calexico.

There will definitely be another announcement later on with some heavy hitters on that list.I dream of getting an email confirming Anouar Brahem,Egberto Gimonti or Tom Ze's on the roster,but then I am a bit of a dreamer. :)

@@Ian McP that track made me feel all viking inside.

Re Soil And Pimp, while I really enjoyed their set, I found "The Agitator" a little over the top. Some of his Ray Charles like body language could have been found somewhat insulting. Given that he added nothing musically they could easily drop him from the roster IMHO.

• Like 1

Well,as sure as God did make those little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime, @@emesbee will be there.My picks so far are

Dakha Brakha

Debashish Bhattacharya

Diego el Cigala

Savina Yannatou & Primavera Salonico

Songhoy Blues

Calexico.

There will definitely be another announcement later on with some heavy hitters on that list.I dream of getting an email confirming Anouar Brahem,Egberto Gimonti or Tom Ze's on the roster,but then I am a bit of a dreamer. :)

Calexico played Womad a few years ago...not quite as good as a 'proper' club gig though...too many smelly beards waving their arms in the air at 2:30 in the arvo to really enjoy them!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ideal Cooper Pale Ale quaffing weather!

initial tips for Womad,  in order of appearance, day,
some repeats, a few clashes, check your program for alternatives,
there are also a couple of music workshops and Taste The World sessions that might prove interesting

Friday

Hazmat Modine
DakhaBrakha
Debashish Bhattacharya
Miles Cleret (DJ)

Saturday:

Edmar Castenada Trio
Calexico
Mahsa & Marjan Vahdat
Ibeyi
Tek Tek Ensemble
Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico
Ajak Kwai
*[su:m]
De La Soul
Osunlade (DJ)

Sunday:

Kev Carmody
Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
Ester Rada
Calexico
47 Soul
St Germain
Marcellus Pittman (DJ)

Monday:

Tek Tek Ensemble
Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico
Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Debashish Bhattacharya
Alsarah & the Nubatones
Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro
Edmar Castenada Trio
Songhoy Blues
Seun Kuti & Egypt 80
Orange Blossom
No Zu
Asian Dub Foundation
Sadar Bahar (DJ)

regards Ian

(I'll be the silver haired dude up front sporting a faded purple St Arnou cap (that's some long forgotten craft beer) and my assorted "vintage" Womad T shirts of yore)

• Like 1

^^^^ Some nice selections in there Ian. I've just spent a little time studying the program after downloading the app, and I just wish I could be in two places at once. This year's line up is absolutely loaded with very little filler. There will definitely be some tough decisions made working out who to see.

Edit: Grammer correction.

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1

I definitely will be there, as always.

I need to have a closer look at the program, but some that I definitely want to see are:-

Debashish Bhattacharya

Cedric Burnside project

Angelique Kidjo

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Diego El Cigala

Seun Kuti & Egypt 80

The Spooky Men's Chorale    (should be fun)

Songhoy Blues

Tulegar

Su:M        (South Korean)

The Jerry Cans

Gyuto Monks of Tibet   (closing performance on Sunday night)

just for starters

• Like 1

I'm here for it. Weather is looking to be terrific for the weekend. Saw Cedric Burnside Project last night - loved it. Two guys - a drummer and a slide guitar player, punching out some swampy foot stomping blues. Yum.

Dakhabrakhas were a Ukraninan quartet mashing up different ethnic roots music with a heavy emphasis on drums.

Will definitely be checking out Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro - they look terrific.

About to head in to discover more today - so much choice.

• Like 1

I'm still tossing up Sunday - primarily for Calexico but only hesitant because their dedicated show last year was so good I might be disappointed with the distraction of the festival crowd. Anything else that day that could swing me over to forking out? If there were a few interstates here, we should have organised an interstate Gtg! Sorry for missing that opportunity guys. Remind us next time!

• Like 1

I'm still tossing up Sunday - primarily for Calexico but only hesitant because their dedicated show last year was so good I might be disappointed with the distraction of the festival crowd. Anything else that day that could swing me over to forking out? If there were a few interstates here, we should have organised an interstate Gtg! Sorry for missing that opportunity guys. Remind us next time!

Lots of good music on Sunday.Savina Yannatou,Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro,Diego El Cigala,Ibeyi and St Germain.

Diego El Cigala and band were good last night. I enjoyed DakhaBrakha. Surpringly high turnout for their CD signing.

De La Soul had a pretty tight band but there's only so many songs I can listen to with the word 'party' in them so we beat a hasty retreat to the Osunlade gig and spent some time there watching pretty young ladies dance.Hey,we might be old but we're not dead :)

• Like 1

Anyone see Mountain Mocha Kilaminjaro? Japanese Godzilla Funk - Six super-dapper instrumentalists out of the ghetto-funk scene, playing it cool by reviving 1970s throwback soul with pinches of up-tempo jazz-lounge, cosmic psychedelia and dynamic rock.

They opened with a couple of barn burners and the crowd went nuts.

• Like 3